PDA

View Full Version : Getting AW9000 to play music from mobile total disaster

Yuri72
01-15-2013, 09:28 PM
After installing my AW9000, I was really excited, great sound, the airstudio app showed some flaws (stopping after some songs) but still happy. After a few days this has changed to total fustration. Airstudio works only once every several tries (no clue as to why). Tried Twonky but get the message "can't playback file" (MP3) with every music file I have tried. Philips remote refuses to get my AW9000 to playback as well. My wifi is fine the AW9000 is really close to the router, the led burns bright white (so it says hey I'm ready for playback) Anybody any suggestions??! I'm about to toss it out of the window :mad:

Tias
01-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Hi !

Have you installed the latest Firmware in the AW9000 ?

Cheers !

Philips - QK
01-16-2013, 03:51 AM
Dear Yuri72,

We would like to better understand your problem here. Would you help to provide these info:

1. What is your AirStudio App version?
2. What is displayed on the App when you find the "problems" (cant find speaker or can't load music...etc)
3. Could you connect to Internet Radio (via App or press preset number keys if App doesn't work)
4. If you could't access Internet Radio, have you tried changing the network settings ? Or have you tried installing new WIFI devices? Also, advise if your router is busy.
5. Have you tried to re-setup the network again?

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Yuri72
01-16-2013, 08:51 AM
Currently this is what happens:
I can access internet radio through the app. But once I try to play an MP3 the led on the set turns white no music comes and the set doesn't respond to anything anymore (not able to start radio until I turn the power of on the set)t

1. version 1.6.2
2. nothing is is displayed on the app.. It looks like it is playing music, except for the fact that the song isn't progressing (timecount stays zero)
3. yes (with and without app)
4-
5. several times

Hope you can help, I would really like this to work..

Tias
01-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Hi again !
When you say it works "... only once every several tries", is that with the same MP3 track that didn't work just before, or another track ?
What I'm after here is to know if the tracks that works, always works, and the ones that doesn't work, never works, or if it's completely random ?

Cheers !

Yuri72
01-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Hi there Tias, it's the same tracks.. My "every several tries" remark should be downgraded, since it hasn't worked at all now for two days (playing back MP3's that is).

Xjvhof
01-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Let's face it. We all bought a nice well sounding speaker system. The only problem is that it's totally useless without an app that in my honnest opinion should not have come on the market in this state of progress. Even beta versions do a better job!
I'm not complaining aubout the hardware, it sounds and looks great, but the soft is really not working properly. Philips has to admit this to his clients and work on something that works real quick. All reactions on this forum cite problems i too encountered, i fixed some by reinstalling, reinitializing or by just being lucky. Many of the flaws are chronical and reoccur sooner or later.
Apps made by sony or independant developers may work although not being 100 % compatible and at some point do not satisfy but even then they have better features, are more stable, have better presentation e.a. So it can certainly be done correctly if you are a philips developer and you know the hardware. So why this long wait then? Incompetence, lack of self assesment, poor project management?
Poor Philips then.

Any other thougths on this??? Anyone? Philips people?

Jan.

Tias
01-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Ok.
Have you had any luck playing back some MP3 from your PC, with or without the AirStudio application (you can download and test Philips' MyRemote application or Skifta, both are 100% free and I find them much more stable than AirStudio) ?

Another thing to do (or at least test) is to hook up your AW9000 with a Ethernet cable to your router. I don't think it will make much difference, but it might be good to try it, surprises can occur :)

Cheers !

Philips - QK
01-17-2013, 01:22 AM
Dear Yuri72 & Xjvhof,

We would like to understand which Android device you are using. I have sent you a PM to give you more information. Would you please kindly check your PM inbox?

With thanks & regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Xjvhof
01-17-2013, 07:44 AM
Philips remote closes down when ipad screen turns off... Streaming wirelessly mp3 from nas or other network disk (lacie, wd worldbook) works but mp3 songs might switch to next song after about 30 sec. And/Or have long wait between songs. Streaming from pc (twonky installed and configured) : same problems but i have mp3 mainly on nas.

For me there might be some workarounds but philips has to correct the different issues with its proper application we payed for.

Yuri72
01-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Hi there Philips (I have responded to your PM) and Tias,
I don't think my problems are totally App related though. I can't play MP3's using Philips remote or Twonky either.. Trying playback from PC also doesn't work. Still After initial set up I was able to playback MP'3's.. Now every time the light on my set turns white and the set doesn't respond to anything anymore (even when pushing the led it is not possible to get it in to stand by)..
Yesterday I also tried restoring back to factory settings and again set up the WIFI on the set.. no luck. Tonight I wil try hooking up an ethernet cable, although this is not how I want it to work, just to see what happens.

fromsomewhere
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi there Philips (I have responded to your PM) and Tias,
I don't think my problems are totally App related though. I can't play MP3's using Philips remote or Twonky either.. Trying playback from PC also doesn't work. Still After initial set up I was able to playback MP'3's.. Now every time the light on my set turns white and the set doesn't respond to anything anymore (even when pushing the led it is not possible to get it in to stand by)..
Yesterday I also tried restoring back to factory settings and again set up the WIFI on the set.. no luck. Tonight I wil try hooking up an ethernet cable, although this is not how I want it to work, just to see what happens.

Hi

Did you check whether you have the latest FW on the speaker? You can check by entering inet radio & then under settings (bottom right tab). Check for FW upgrade. It can be that you have very old speaker FW?

Yuri72
01-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Yep latest version..

fromsomewhere
01-18-2013, 04:56 AM
Yep latest version..

Hi

As the twonky app also cannot push music to your speaker, it is clear that something blocks the streaming. Maybe your router has a disabled DLNA streaming setting. Worth a look. Which router do you use BTW?

Yuri72
01-18-2013, 11:30 AM
I Use a D-Link DIR 615. I am thinking it might be the router as well.. But yesterday my set WAS WORKING.. So it is still on and off.. the question is why??!! I will check DLNA tonight, but guess if that is the problem it should never work. My mobile never has problems with my router.

fromsomewhere
01-18-2013, 12:56 PM
I Use a D-Link DIR 615. I am thinking it might be the router as well.. But yesterday my set WAS WORKING.. So it is still on and off.. the question is why??!! I will check DLNA tonight, but guess if that is the problem it should never work. My mobile never has problems with my router.

It is not just about connection. If your connection to router for normal data would be a problem then inet radio would not work on your AW. The DLNA has specialities which some routers do not like if the settings are not correct. Better to have a look.

Yuri72
01-18-2013, 08:30 PM
I was mistaking my router is a D-link DIR-635 it only supports UpNP not DLNA.. should I get a different router?? Suggestions which one?

Tias
01-18-2013, 10:08 PM
Hi !

Just to clarify, the "UPnP" setting in a router has nothing to do with using UPnP (nor DLNA, there is no specific setting in a router for "DLNA") in your own LAN.
It has absolutely no effect on your UPnP devices in your (W)LAN so don't worry if your router doesn't "support" UPnP/DLNA (= it soes not have a UPnP settng for example), it will work just fine anyway.
(The "UPnP" setting in a router only affects UPnP between your LAN and WAN, for example for hosting games and so on.)

Cheers !

fromsomewhere
01-19-2013, 12:25 AM
Hi !

Just to clarify, the "UPnP" setting in a router has nothing to do with using UPnP (nor DLNA, there is no specific setting in a router for "DLNA") in your own LAN.
It has absolutely no effect on your UPnP devices in your (W)LAN so don't worry if your router doesn't "support" UPnP/DLNA (= it soes not have a UPnP settng for example), it will work just fine anyway.
(The "UPnP" setting in a router only affects UPnP between your LAN and WAN, for example for hosting games and so on.)

Cheers !

Hi Yuri,
UPnP is a subset of DLNA. BTW is there a UPnP setting on your router? What is it presently?

Caroline
01-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Read about this system AW9000 and was getting very enthousiastic about the design. But apparently a number of you are having problems, so I am getting into a hesitation mood right now.
Should I buy the system?

One thing that is not clear to me. The set is wireless, but I understand that the set has to be interconnected by a cable? Is that a correct observation?
------ Oh, I found out in another post, they are interconnected, basically logically I think. Wireless might give problems in synchronization. --------

++++
O... In the mean time I reacted to Xvjhof (Jan) & Epimetheus, but that post is not visible yet (???? seems that it has to be moderated????)

Jan writes that playing spotify and mp3's often goes wrong.
But of course you can connect an Airport Express to the aux-entrance and Airplay over that channel isn't it?
In the mean time Philips can adapt and improve their Airstudio App.

Caroline

Xjvhof
01-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Caroline,
My advice is to stay away from this product unless you only want to listen to internet radio, for me the only option that works decently. Spotify works but you will be disappointed by the way it works (most has to be done out of the app for confort, in app options are much to limited: basic search, playlists, best lists,... But all not as informative as on spotify app for ipad or windows.
Quite useless for streaming mp3 because sound interrupts and skip to next song after about 30 sec or so. Not on all songs god knows why.

There is good news also: Sound is excellent! Best of class. Visually stunning also.

It is a shame that the App used to control is awfull. Sure Philips will finaly have an app that works but i doubt you can wait for this.

Ask for a demo in a shop and take a look at the airstudio app and compare to sonos app.

The set is wireless or wired to your router. I had no problem with the wireless setup. It finds all the network attached hard disk and ipad, windows 7 and 8 pc.

Hope this was helpfull and do not buy on good looks only...

Jan

epimetheus
01-19-2013, 06:07 PM
Hi there,
I have just started testing a beta-version of the Airstudio App (thanks, Philips!) with an AW1000/10, which is basically the same as the other products in the AW range except that it uses an existing HiFi set and speakers.
I must say that the Airstudio app for android is getting better and is quite stable now, though not completely perfect.
There is also a new version of the Twonly mediamanager for PC available (at the twonky website, version 3.04) that is better than the Philips version (3.03 I think) and accepts the Philips license keys. So if you use a PC, I would recommend using the latest twonky software. It has a lot more features than the apps, but does not support the internet radio functionality.
I guess that Philips will update their mediamanager software too.

I understand that it's also possible to use the Windows 7 Mediaplayer to stream audio to the AW range, but I haven't tried that out yet.
Also, stick to one controlling app and don't try to use a PC, an phone and an iPad at the same time. Doing so totally confuses the Fidelio equipment...

Caroline
01-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Thank you @Xvjhof and @epimetheus.
Your comments are clear. The product is nice but the software in the form of apps is not yet grown up. That is a pity, Bol.com has an interesting offer, but it seems not smart to blindly step into the offer.
Btw, I only have apple equipment and a NAS, no windows.
I will certainly pay a visit to a shop.
Though it may be that the quality of the app(s) quickly enhances. It is no rocket science, is has been done before, most AirPlay stuff works excellently.

Caroline

Caroline
01-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Hello Jan,

I took a view at the Sonos solution. It does not look like the solution I prefer. Currently I have an old amplifier, CD, Tuner and cassetedeck (inherited from Dad :)), but the amplifier is starting to having trouble, the left channel does not work until after the set is on power for half an hour and then sometimes just stops working again. It seems the electronics is slowly going down.
I have the radio often playing, so radio is essential. But.. It would be nice to get rid of the whole and jump to a speaker or speaker set that does the whole thing.
Absolutely the Philips is the better looking compared to the Sonos, which is... well :) a bit ugly. :)

Caroline

Xjvhof
01-20-2013, 12:12 PM
Absolutely the Philips is the better looking compared to the Sonos, which is... well :) a bit ugly. :)
Caroline

I agree, philips has the playboy looks but lacks humor and IQ :p... unless they change/correct the app.
But if internet radio is your thing, then go for it.

Jan

Caroline
01-20-2013, 03:32 PM
I agree, philips has the playboy looks but lacks humor and IQ :p... unless they change/correct the app.
But if internet radio is your thing, then go for it.

Jan
Hello Jan,

Did you read my addition to my earlier post ?
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?10300-Getting-AW9000-to-play-music-from-mobile-total-disaster&p=50611&viewfull=1#post50611
It is concerning the possibility of airplay over an airport express.

On several other posts I also read that the app consumes a lot of power from the battery of your phone/tablet. Is that correct? Or has it been solved yet. To me it seems that there should be no reason for that. No other app I have, and also not the playing of video to the apple tv, gives problems with the batterypower.

Caroline

Xjvhof
01-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Hi caroline,

Linking with airport to play over an aux input might be a good idea but still is a "workaround" and not the intended set up of the wifi speakerset i bought.

The battery life is indeed shortened by the app in use. I have no clue why, i think it restarts connecting even when not in use (normaly it should work as a set and forget as most is done by the speakers internal electronics). I think this issue wil be resolved together with the rest :rolleyes:

Bye

Jan

Caroline
01-21-2013, 08:02 PM
The battery life is indeed shortened by the app in use. I have no clue why, i think it restarts connecting even when not in use (normaly it should work as a set and forget as most is done by the speakers internal electronics). I think this issue wil be resolved together with the rest :rolleyes:

Bye

Jan
Regarding above, did you try to kill the app ? Or is it needed for some reason running in the background?
If the only use of the app is to connect e.g. a playlist on the NAS to the speakers, then it could be stopped afterwards.

I admit, again a workaround.:(
Caroline

Caroline
01-24-2013, 05:06 AM
Got it... :mad:
Great sound!
Indeed the app is a little shaky.
First problem was this morning when I wanted to start Internet Radio by means of the button on the side. That did not work. It only worked by means of the app.
Has that already been resolved in a new firmware version? mine is V H4.555

Volume
01-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Welcome using this good speaker (exclude software of course :))

In fact, the loading speed of preset button is slow (maybe lost patient due to no display of "loading"), it may work if you wait longer. So far I don't have this problem. I think no harm trying to upgrade, but the UI will be changed :)

Caroline
01-24-2013, 07:00 AM
Welcome using this good speaker (exclude software of course :))

In fact, the loading speed of preset button is slow (maybe lost patient due to no display of "loading"), it may work if you wait longer. So far I don't have this problem. I think no harm trying to upgrade, but the UI will be changed :)
Ok. I will try tomorrow with a bit more of patience.
What do you mean by: The UI will be chanced? In what sense?

Xjvhof
01-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Nicecto hear that you like the sound of the set.

The user interface changes from graphical representation, to text wich is in fact better. So nothing to worry about.

Meanwhile i also bought the sonos 5. Sound is not as good as philips AW3000 but not too
bad neither, the sonos app on the other hand is a marvel and philips should at least try to match it so the AW series wil be a sonos basher soon :) ... and i will reconnect mine...

DreamTech
01-29-2013, 02:21 PM
I've got the Fidelio A5 for more then a month now (almost 2 months) the sound is OK but the App is getting better. Today flashed a new firmware to the A5 and connecting is a bit faster and discovering from my other comps. Nas and other devices is also faster. Only i can't find the music any more on my Smartphone (Samsung Galaxy Note Android on the SDcard) and before it did. I can play from my Twonky and other devices but not from my phone only webradio stations. The file explorer on the app is not gonig far enough in the directories (not going at all) you can only mark some directories from the phone himself. They have to make the file explorer go deeper. Then the Volume slider is getting a little better now but reacts not good enough. You cannot also go farther lets say in one big MIX of 1 Hour to lets say 30 min. you have to start each time from start of the song/music. Then in sound put an Equalizer or something because only a Bass and treble is not enough because of the various kind of music. I've got the A5 almost 2 months and have not had real pleasure of it and that for the price of it. I believe it will come to a better result and OK its new so there are some troubles just like every new thing just like a car or something. Consider this as critic to improve the app and software, because the HardWare is perfect and the Idea behind it also.
Grt DreamTech

Philips - QK
01-30-2013, 06:07 AM
Dear DreamTech,

I have sent you a PM. Would you please check your inbox? Thanks.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Philips - QK
01-30-2013, 06:28 AM
Dear Yuri72,

Would you please check your inbox? I have sent you a PM to follow up your case.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Caroline
02-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Indeed the app reacts sometimes weird, not consistent.
The Internet radio works fine.
Currently I am streaming some music from my NAS.
I selected 5 songs of Alanis Morisette, this started playing. After that I selected another album. That added to the existing list, behind Alanis. It seemed to go well, but then after 10 seconds the number that played stopped and it switched to the next number, this played for 5 secs then it switched to the next song, etc until the sequence was reached which I added, and this now is playing normal.
Quite strange... It almost seems as if the designer of the app had two things in mind, 1) adding numbers, 2) starting to play a new album, and had this mixed up.

Oh !!!!
It's my own error ! No blame for the app.
The songs of Alanis on my NAS are damaged.
Please receive my humble excuses. :mad:

Keysersoza
02-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Let's face it. We all bought a nice well sounding speaker system. The only problem is that it's totally useless without an app that in my honnest opinion should not have come on the market in this state of progress. Even beta versions do a better job!
I'm not complaining aubout the hardware, it sounds and looks great, but the soft is really not working properly. Philips has to admit this to his clients and work on something that works real quick. All reactions on this forum cite problems i too encountered, i fixed some by reinstalling, reinitializing or by just being lucky. Many of the flaws are chronical and reoccur sooner or later.
Apps made by sony or independant developers may work although not being 100 % compatible and at some point do not satisfy but even then they have better features, are more stable, have better presentation e.a. So it can certainly be done correctly if you are a philips developer and you know the hardware. So why this long wait then? Incompetence, lack of self assesment, poor project management?
Poor Philips then.

Any other thougths on this??? Anyone? Philips people?

Jan.

I totally agree with your statement. I also bought these speakers for a lot of money and i am very satisfied with the sound and their appearance. Sound is great and they look very nice. However, the android airstudio app and PC mediamanger powered by twonky really are a great disappointment and should really be considered as a peace of CRAP. Philips should be ashamed of themselves to bring such a products on the market without really testing them properly so that everything works fine and flawless. This does not earn any prices Philips. Please do something about this !!!!

Keysersoza

Philips - QK
02-04-2013, 01:28 AM
Dear Keysersoza,

Welcome to the forum!
I have sent you a PM. Would you please check your inbox?

With thanks & regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Keysersoza
02-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Dear Keysersoza,

Welcome to the forum!
I have sent you a PM. Would you please check your inbox?

With thanks & regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Seen your PM and replied.
Kind regards.
Keysersoza

mrwhite
03-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Is this problem with the app already solved. I'm interested in buying this set but only if it works well.

Volume
03-15-2013, 09:29 AM
So far no big issues with latest firmware and AirStudio App. Once you can setup the speaker with AirStudio, you can choose other App to explore the functions :)

But it doesn't support AirPlay :)

Caroline
03-24-2013, 04:02 PM
@volume, do you mean software V5.10S?
Is it working well?

Grrr, bumped in to new login method, what is it with those webmasters that keep changing things, don't fix what is not broken ! That is very annoying!

Volume
03-25-2013, 01:57 AM
Hi Caroline, yes, I am referring to v5.10S, it is ok for me. And the most complained Spotify issue is resolved.

Caroline
03-31-2013, 02:17 PM
Indeed... after the mandatory update (which a bit pisses me off..) it seems to work ok, also spotifiy.

Now trying to connect to my synology music directory with my iPad.......... after reinstalling the app...... yes, this also works.. pfff.

Lets hope for more improvements in speed and in the apps now.

Caroline