PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive removed - format not recognized - how to read the data?

icensnow
01-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Hi there,

My Streamium MCI500H stopped working for some reason. I opened up the unit to see if the hard drive is working and it seems to be working fine (I'm an electrical & computer engineer so I know what I'm doing ;-) ). On the other hand, once I try to read the contents of the hard drive (connected thru a IDE to USB external drive enclosure), it does not recognize the format directly in Windows. I read something on one of your forums that using Linux to read this disk works. Is this true? Or do you have any software that I can install on my Windows machine to read the data from the disk? I'm not interested in a repair or a replacement, all I want to do, is to copy my music from the drive.

Thanks, Stefan.

chrisham
01-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Post deleted

My reply was referring to the USB-HDDs connected to Philips TVs, not the Streamium devices.

Sorry for any confusion I might have caused - in the future, I will read first and then post :-(

icensnow
01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
check out the second comment from user:flimflam on this page:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/archive/index.php/t-3544.html

Granted, its a different model, but still a Streamium. I wonder if anyone can confirm the drive is readable using Linux?

ginepi
02-05-2013, 06:28 PM
check out the second comment from user:flimflam on this page:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/archive/index.php/t-3544.html

Granted, its a different model, but still a Streamium. I wonder if anyone can confirm the drive is readable using Linux?

Thanks to your post I recovered my music from the HD extracted from my Mci500h with failed power supply.

Like you, I have a windows system and the HD was not readable, so I used a live Ubuntu USB key, found the 27, 28, 29... folder and copyed them onto my ntsf HD. All without install the Linux distro. ;)

Good luck!

Giuliano

icensnow
02-06-2013, 09:57 AM
I installed a tool called "Diskinternals Linux Reader" on my Windows box, which understands the format. From there, you can extract the mp3 files.

Philips - Katerina
08-24-2015, 10:50 AM
Hello participants of the thread and forum members in general!

Hopefully your issue was dealt with and you are no longer facing it. Since the thread has been silent for some time now, I will proceed by closing it. If you still have the same question about the same issue or any similar issues arise feel free to start a new thread or contact one of us moderators to open this thread again.

Kind regards
Philips Katerina