PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive removed - format not recognized - how to read the data?

icensnow
01-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Hi there,

My Streamium MCI500H stopped working for some reason. I opened up the unit to see if the hard drive is working and it seems to be working fine (I'm an electrical & computer engineer so I know what I'm doing ;-) ). On the other hand, once I try to read the contents of the hard drive (connected thru a IDE to USB external drive enclosure), it does not recognize the format directly in Windows. I read something on one of your forums that using Linux to read this disk works. Is this true? Or do you have any software that I can install on my Windows machine to read the data from the disk? I'm not interested in a repair or a replacement, all I want to do, is to copy my music from the drive.

Thanks, Stefan.

chrisham
01-21-2013, 01:53 PM
Post deleted

My reply was referring to the USB-HDDs connected to Philips TVs, not the Streamium devices.

Sorry for any confusion I might have caused - in the future, I will read first and then post :-(

icensnow
01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
check out the second comment from user:flimflam on this page:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/archive/index.php/t-3544.html

Granted, its a different model, but still a Streamium. I wonder if anyone can confirm the drive is readable using Linux?

ginepi
02-05-2013, 06:28 PM
check out the second comment from user:flimflam on this page:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/archive/index.php/t-3544.html

Granted, its a different model, but still a Streamium. I wonder if anyone can confirm the drive is readable using Linux?

Thanks to your post I recovered my music from the HD extracted from my Mci500h with failed power supply.

Like you, I have a windows system and the HD was not readable, so I used a live Ubuntu USB key, found the 27, 28, 29... folder and copyed them onto my ntsf HD. All without install the Linux distro. ;)

Good luck!

Giuliano

icensnow
02-06-2013, 09:57 AM
I installed a tool called "Diskinternals Linux Reader" on my Windows box, which understands the format. From there, you can extract the mp3 files.