PDA

View Full Version : BDP 5100 - where can I get the OLDER, non-1.53 version of firmware? 1.53=bad.

Pepperpot
02-16-2011, 07:21 PM
I have the Bluray player BDP5100/12, an excellent one - or, should I say, one that used to be excellent with older firmware.

I made the mistake of thinking that the new revision, 1.53, would be better... wrong! It did add the NetTV service for which I have no use, but it also made the player pretty much useless. Whenever I use the player to connect an external drive and play Divx HD files, it's now a given that the player will freeze. It happens with about half of files now. The playing continues, but the player stops reacting to the remote or the buttons on the unit. All I can do then is:
- keep watching
- physically unplug the power

Additionally, the player seems to list video files randomly when browsing USB units plugged in, rather than alphabetically. It used to happen with older firmwares, too, but with 1.53 it seems even more common.

Anyway, I want to roll back to the great firmware (it was 1.31, I think) which came before the awful 1.53. I hope with the older version, it will once again be the good player I enjoyed. Unfortunately, the site only lists v1.53 now. Where can I get the older revision?

I guess the coders were so concentrated on this NetTV service in the new firmware that they broke a ton of things that used to work well in the older firmwares, and paid no attention to it. Shame...

Toengel
02-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Hi,

the freezing is also present with BDP7500S/B2 and BDP9600 - I talked more than one times with the local support in Germany and always "you are the first who has this problem"...

The ordering is also present with BDP7500S/B2 and BDP9600 - it is sorted by "last modified". I also suggested at the local support to add a feature to choose the sorting ordering... Don't ask what they answered...

Toengel@Alex

oliviez
02-19-2011, 04:41 PM
Hi guy,

1.53 new firmaware is bad coded-ware!

unable to access to my buffalo 2Go Mkv File via usb plug, Result when usb is pluged => Freez the player

please, philips' engineers buy an external hdd and try it....
have you made some test before supply a stuff like that... i'm afraid....

Thank you to provide ASAP a new firmware!

Br
/oliviez

Toengel
02-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Hi,

please use mediainfo.sourceforge.net (display the "text" mode) and paste the content of your MKVfile which does not work.

Toengel@Alex

oliviez
02-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.

There is a misunderstanding about my bug report:

-On firmware 1.30:
Very long time to access to my USB external hdd :Buffalo HD-HXU3 (usb3.0)
Some MKV file cannot start (video error, audio ok...), in future i have to investigate on MKV video file format...

-On last firmware 1.53:
When i connect my Buffalo HD-HXU3 (usb3.0), BDP5100 freeze up to i unplug usb from BDP5100, then it is write ERROR on LCD display.

What's about USB 3.0 compatibilities of BDP5100?

note:
Buffalo HD-HXU3 (usb3.0) well working on my dell laptop. (usb 2)
Buffalo HD-HXU3 (usb3.0) Well working on my Samsung LCD TV (USB 2)

Thanks for your great help
Br
/olivier

karun
02-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi,
I have the same issues with BDP-5100/12. On firmware 1.30 all movies .mkv were working. On last firmware 1.53 some of the movies work and some not. The system pops up unsupported video format, but the sound works.

Please came up with the solution.

P.S. Can an official Service Philips install the previous firmware?

Thanx

WHA1949
03-02-2011, 09:06 AM
HI

I can confirm these problems. I have FW 1.53.
1. When I was watching a video from USB disk, there was no way of stopping it, but power off.
2. When there is a DVD loaded, then I have to wait some time (up to 30 seconds) before I can stop it.
3. In general the response to remote is sluggish.
4. My registration in this forum didn't finish completely. However after contacting the administrator this problem was solved.

Claus
03-05-2011, 06:49 PM
Hi

Also a confirmation on problems from here. Update to V1.53 makes unit freeze very frequent.
Updated from a brandnew unit with original "old" firmware directly to 1.53 , and probs started.

No "red thread" in what it is doing when freezing. Only cure : physically unplug the power!

Philips Customer Care response :
Older firmware will NOT be made avaible....Never heard of this before and talk to your local
dealer..... anyone heard this song before ?

In general Iīm feed up with Philips hardware... I have a Philips 42" flatscreen TV to, which was faulty
for over a year until it was fixed. Read a lot god stuff on the BDP5100 before buying, so gave
Philips another go, and now im just frustrated !

Please ! Somebody MUST have a older firmware lying around somewere to share, since we obviously
not getting help from Philips what so ever !
/Claus

Philips
03-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Topic moved to 'Blu-ray Product Support'.

Philips
03-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks for your post. Philips has acknowledged your problem and is now looking into it. We will come back to you as soon as possible once we have more concrete information/ solution.

For above users, please kindly check your private mail box for more information on this issue.

Gretchen
03-09-2011, 12:55 PM
well, by some kind of chance I have the backup of the last version in my usb. thanks for my laziness for not deleting the file!!!
have uploaded to this directory for you all: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KN78HR4U

in case your usb not working well, try to burn it into a disc and do the upgrade.
wish you luck, bro.

lohr
03-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the link - how am I able to do a software update via CD?
Because I also have the problem that if I plugin a USB stick, my Remote Control isnt working any more...

Carin
03-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the link - how am I able to do a software update via CD?
Because I also have the problem that if I plugin a USB stick, my Remote Control isnt working any more...

Hi lohr,
but if your usb loader can still detect files from a flash usb drive, you only have to dl the file to a usb and do the software upgrade again.don't hv to burn it into a disc...

lohr
03-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Hi lohr,
but if your usb loader can still detect files from a flash usb drive, you only have to dl the file to a usb and do the software upgrade again.don't hv to burn it into a disc...

So how I am gonna do that?
Plugin the USB in powered-off mode and then turn on the device?
Because like I said, if I plugin my USB stick I cant navigate any more with the remote control.

Carin
03-09-2011, 03:26 PM
sorry i dont know that. cos from other users, they can at least select the file they want to watch, just during the play the remote control doesnt work.
for your player, not even able to press the home button and navigation button?

lohr
03-09-2011, 03:28 PM
No chance at all :(
As soon as I plugin a USB device everything freezes until I remove it again, then the remote control works as normal again.
So if there is no chance for updating via CD or during the bootup(with special press of key or something like that), I think I have to send it in to Philips Support...
Any ideas?

Carin
03-09-2011, 03:38 PM
i heard of using a cd to perform software upgrade. just burn the file "upg_all" to a cd and then let it load the file itself. but not sure if this model support this as well.(like playing normal dvd disc)
am not sure if that works for this player as well...
your player failed becos of the v1.53 firmware as well? just interested to know. cos mine works fine with v1.53 unlike most of you.

lohr
03-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Yes, before the upgrade to 1.53 everything was working good. I did that yesterday and now I have these problems... The support (telephone) told me to ship in the BDP5100, but I am still looking for an option to downgrade anyhow :(
So if you have any ideas, I will listen for sure :)

Carin
03-09-2011, 03:47 PM
i think it can be an option to try.just try the cd method. wont be worse. if worsen, ship it back to philips :)

lohr
03-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Wow it really worked :) Thank you so much!
I copied the folder UPG_ALL to a DVD-R and this I inserted in the BDP5100, the installation started automatically and was succesful. It hang in the restart, but I pluged-off-on and it started with Version 1.31 :)

THANKS AGAIN

PS: Isnt it nice that Philips doesnt know its own features? ^^

schnee
03-10-2011, 10:33 AM
I just saw on the support page of the bdp 5100 that the firmware release date changed to 10/3/2011 while the firmware version number does not changed. Is this a new firmware release? Also I can not access the changelog of the firmware (permission denied).

Thanks

Ákos

Carin
03-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Wow it really worked :) Thank you so much!
I copied the folder UPG_ALL to a DVD-R and this I inserted in the BDP5100, the installation started automatically and was succesful. It hang in the restart, but I pluged-off-on and it started with Version 1.31 :)

THANKS AGAIN

PS: Isnt it nice that Philips doesnt know its own features? ^^

glad to hear that

Carin
03-10-2011, 01:50 PM
I just saw on the support page of the bdp 5100 that the firmware release date changed to 10/3/2011 while the firmware version number does not changed. Is this a new firmware release? Also I can not access the changelog of the firmware (permission denied).

Thanks

Ákos

but if the file name or folder name is the same, wont it display something like "the firmware is the latest version already"?
dont think that s a new one...

lohr
03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
The ZIP file might be the same, but the content could be different. I will test it today evening - Now I have a fall-back solution ;)

Carin
03-10-2011, 02:31 PM
great that you can try and willing to try :D

Toengel
03-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Hi,

as far as I can see, the firmware for BDP5100 was removed...

I'd like to ask Philips, if this "fix" is also for the BDP9600?

Toengel@Alex

Carin
03-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Can anyone here dl the new v1.53 and successfully upgrade your player? would like to give it a try but cant dl

Toengel
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi,

service said that the website (and firmware updates) are "under construction" and will be available "soon"...

Toengel@Alex

Claus
03-14-2011, 10:12 PM
well, by some kind of chance I have the backup of the last version in my usb. thanks for my laziness for not deleting the file!!!
have uploaded to this directory for you all: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KN78HR4U

in case your usb not working well, try to burn it into a disc and do the upgrade.
wish you luck, bro.

Thanks Gretchen. Worked like a charm ! Version 1.31 installed with disc solution. Now we will just have to wait to see what Philips has in their box of firmware-surprises in the future. Thanks again.
/Claus

Toengel
03-15-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi,

re-released Firmware 1.53 is downloadable - dated March, 10th...

Toengel@Alex

karun
03-18-2011, 11:59 AM
Hi!

I have a problem.
I tried to install this so called new firmware tha was released 10. March, but my problem was not over. So tried to install this version 1.31 from megaupload. I tried USB an DVD but the system tells me upgrade software verification failed. Please insert correct software. Any ideas?

Please can someone help me!?!?!

Does anyone have previous firmware 1.53?

I have solved the problem.
Thanks

Volume
03-18-2011, 04:50 PM
I don't have this unit, but can you upgrade via ineternet ?

Oscar
03-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Version 1.53 is on the web as far as I can see

karun
03-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Does someone know how to change level profile for .mkv files? I was told that bdp5100 does not support L5.1.

Ty

Carin
03-21-2011, 05:47 AM
Dear Karun

1. Can you check which version of firmware you have now so that we know if your previous upgrade is successful or not?
[setup]-> [advanced]-> [version info]

2. For L5.1, i guess it depends on the device itself. unless there is a firmware upgrade, i don't see this can be changed easily.

Best wishes, Carin

Philips
03-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Dear customers,

Thank you for your patience.

We have checked several returned sets in the service centre and confirmed that the problem is due to the naming of the FW folder/ file or having the FW file crashed with other files in your USB device. We have further checked with the v.1.53 FW and found no issues if the upgrade is performed in accordance with the steps in the Readme file.
You can refer to the topic “Points to note for BDP FW upgrade” for more information:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1163-Points-to-note-for-Blu-ray-firmware-upgrade.
If you are still experiencing the problems after upgrading to v.1.53, please kindly contact our moderator to follow-up your case.
Wish you lots of valuable discussions and fun on our forum!

Kind regards,

aemike
04-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi.
I have Install new Firmware 1.53 but i think still bugs have, sometimes my Player froze without any reason,
After froze you can only cancel main power to reset player. i got this error 2 times now in one week
One time player froze by watching usal DVD other one it froze in Title Menue

Before i upgrade player i had not this problems, i think itīs 100% clear still this new Upgrade have any bugs.

Any one can confirm this same bug too?
(sorry my bad english write, iam from germany!)
Regards:
Mike

bertrandh
04-26-2011, 10:32 AM
I am having the same freezing problem while playing videos longer than 15 minutes.
Reported here: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1360-BDP5100-05-video-playback&p=5940#post5940

The customer support told me to bring my player back to the shop.
I wonder if it is really worth as other people are facing the same issue, even on other models.

Only PC videos longer than 10 minutes are affected. This is something
in the process of buffering the video while playing which causes this.
The video has to be played 10 to 15 minutes for the problem to occure.
The problem occures from both USB and data DVD.

Videos shorter than 10 minutes (.mpg, .avi,...) work perfectly fine.
No problem with DVDs and Blu-rays.

Carin
04-28-2011, 03:24 AM
Dear Mike & bertrandh,

I guess it will be the best if you can supply them a file or two for their analysis. Can facilitate the debugging better.

Rgs, Carin

josebaba
04-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Buenos Dias:
Soy un usuario con la version 1.53 y tengo los mismos problemas de congelado (5100/12). Para apagar el reproductor tengo que desconectarlo fisicamente.
Thanks.

josebaba
04-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Good Morning:
I am a user with version 1.53 and I have the same freezing problems (5100/12). To turn off the player I have to physically disconnect.
Thanks.

Philips
04-28-2011, 01:15 PM
English please!

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...p?do=showrules

jvpeters
04-28-2011, 02:59 PM
English please!

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/...p?do=showrules

Hi Philips representative,
Can you be somewhat nicer? Also the link you have quoted is dead..!

lfcapelo
04-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Hi,
I've upgraded my firmware from 1.18 to 1.53 (following all instructions!) and now it seems like it was a big mistake.
Some MKV videos no longer play (unsupported format message), haven't even gone far enough to check for other problems.
not very impressed with this process - especially considering that we need to do upgrades to read newer BD titles?

Should I try the downgrade to 1.31 as mentioned before?

Carin
04-28-2011, 07:43 PM
Hi
I think it's something deal with the video profile. 1.53 makes the player cannot play profile L5.1 mkv anymore as mentioned in another post, and support up to L4.1 only. That s why some files cannot be played. If u consider this as a very important factor, I think downgrading will be a good solution to you.
For new upgrade for newer title, it s because there is something out of spec in the new dics. Like some new discs contain some java codes and no one can anticipate that when making a Blueray player, right ? That s the part I can understand ...
But sometimes Philips firmware may not be very stable... That' s the part I can't understand and think Philips needs to work on...

lfcapelo
04-28-2011, 07:49 PM
well, downgrading to 1.31 worked (thanks to whoever posted it!) but MKV still doesn't work (unsupported).
I also notice that with these updated firmwares accessing to the hard drive is "louder", very noticeable (meaning annoying).

update: editing the profile information in the videos also doesn't fix it :( don't want to reconvert everything... this is ridiculous, the videos were working fine before.

Shurakai
05-02-2011, 10:33 AM
well, downgrading to 1.31 worked (thanks to whoever posted it!) but MKV still doesn't work (unsupported).
I also notice that with these updated firmwares accessing to the hard drive is "louder", very noticeable (meaning annoying).

update: editing the profile information in the videos also doesn't fix it :( don't want to reconvert everything... this is ridiculous, the videos were working fine before.

For MKV-playback make sure that:

A) You don't use header compression when muxing the MKV.
B) Your MKV is Level High@4.1. The level of an MKV File can be changed by demuxing and using a programm called H.264 Leveleditior
The important thing here is, that not only the H.264 file says it's Level High@4.1, it also need to fulfill the criteria of a Level High@4.1 file.
C) If you muxed vobsubs in the mkv, make sure you don't use zlib compression.

Since I follow these easy rules I haven't had any problems playing MKVs with my BDP5180. Before I had to deal with "unsupported format" messages or complete freezes of the BPD.

aemike
05-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi again ok its now clear the upgrade still have mega Bugs.
New Firmware 1.53 bugs do froze player without any reason, it can too froze if you turn on( it hang on blue Screen)
After a froze of any kind of this, you can only cancel main power to reset player. i got this error many times now.

I HOPE PHILLIPS WILL FIX 1.53 SOON and replace it with a work upgrade!!!
ITS NO FUN TO USE THIS PLAYER!!!! iam realy sad about this

Philips
05-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Dear users. Philips has acknowledged the problems and is now looking into it. We are currently investigating the issue and will come back to you as soon as possible.

aemike
05-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Dear users. Philips has acknowledged the problems and is now looking into it. We are currently investigating the issue and will come back to you as soon as possible.

Ty i still hope....

bertrandh
05-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Dear Philips and fellow users,

I have been having the problem with video files (.avi, .mpg, .mkv,...) longer than 10 minutes and not being able to stop or pause them after a while because the player would just keep playing the video without responding.

No extensive testing but found an improvement...

While watching a blu-ray three days ago, I noticed the blu-ray was displayed as 1020p / 24 Hz through HDMI.
I changed the following setting:
Home > Setup > Video > HDMI Video: changed from Auto to 1080p.

Tried three files. I am getting the following improvements:
- Videos load faster
- same quality or better (Blu-Ray improved)
- can now pause and stop the three videos I tested (was not working before changing the setting)
Will require more testing to confirm this can be a workaround.

However, when playing mp3's. The following defect came: the sound starts playing and I have to wait 5 seconds for the screen to show up. Not the end of the world but worth sharing.

Just for the record, my settings are:
Home > Setup > Video >
HDMI Video: 1080p
Component Video: 1080i
Picture settings: standard

Hope it can be of some help.

No downgrade of the firmware done so far, and I don't know where to get an older version anyway.

Regards,

Bertrand

quapor
05-04-2011, 09:39 AM
bertrandh, this works for me:
play movie - after a 2-4 min. press pause and resume movie, then control/responding works fine

bertrandh
05-05-2011, 08:35 AM
I read all my video files from a usb device.
Yesterday evening, I tried to play a movie (2-hour video). The file worked before the upgrade.
After 30 minutes of playing, when I wanted to pause it, the player wouldn't respond.
There is stil an improvement: disconnecting the usb cable would keep the player frozen (not responding) in the past. Now, it brings me back to the home screen in 1 or 2 seconds and the player responds to the remote control again.

As a conclusion:
- the setting doesn't solve the problem,
- however, it improves the situation. No need to use a barbarian method by removing electrity and turning the player back on later.
-> much better :)
With this new setting: if the player is not responding while playing a video file, simply disconnect the usb cable from the player and it will take you back to the home screen.

You normally have to wait 10 minutes (if not more) before testing. Pausing and stopping has always worked for me during the first 5 minutes of playing a long file.
Never had any problem with files shorter than 10 minutes.

quapor
05-05-2011, 09:15 AM
No need to use a barbarian method by removing electricity and turning the player back on later..
hdd connected via usb - removing electrity or disconnecting the usb cable during playing - it's the same "barbarian method"

bertrandh
05-05-2011, 09:38 AM
hdd connected via usb - removing electrity or disconnecting the usb cable during playing - it's the same "barbarian method"

Also true.
My point was: only having to unplug the USB cable should be better for the Blu-Ray player. (rather than stopping electricity while playing and putting it back on)
But, yes, we still have to disconnect a cable... :mad:

Please Philips, make a new descent firmware available to us.

karun
05-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Hi!

Can someone please write step-by-step walktrough how to change Profile level from 5.1 to 4.1. I dont know how to do it with H.264 Leveleditior ? That would be very helpful.

P.S. Very dissapointing with this player.

josebaba
05-05-2011, 08:43 PM
Solution Now!
Gretchen thanks for uploading the PREVIOUS version

Carin
05-06-2011, 07:01 AM
hi Karun,
if you want to watch L5.1 files, would you like to downgrade your player?
v.1.31 works fine with the L5.1 profile playback.

for a downgrade, the "walkthrough" is mentioned in the previous posts. guess this at least makes your life easier as you dont have to convert every single L5.1 file you have.

Shurakai
05-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Hi!

Can someone please write step-by-step walktrough how to change Profile level from 5.1 to 4.1. I dont know how to do it with H.264 Leveleditior ? That would be very helpful.

P.S. Very dissapointing with this player.

Either use the downgrade of the firmware mentioned above or if you want to change the Level of the videofile do the following:

Download and install the programs: MKVtoolnix (free) and the GUI for MKVextract mentioned during the installation of MKVtoolnix and H264 Leveleditor (also free). The GUI will make things easier if you don't like to deal with commandlines.

Demux your MKV-file using MKV-Extract from the MKVtoolnix package (or the GUI) into it's different streams (video, audio, subtitels, chapters).
Run the H264 Leveleditior and open the demuxed video stream in it, chose Level 4.1 and apply the change.
Remux all the different streams back ito the MKV-container using MKVmerge from the MKVtoolnix package.
Befor remuxing, make sure that you disable header-compression in the options of MKVmerge. You will also have to open the "old" MKV in the header data editor in MKVmerge in order to copy relevant informations like display aspect ratio or diplay height and display width to the new MKV, as these informations are lost when you demux.
Sound complicated, but it's really damn easy. Just try it out.

karun
05-06-2011, 05:08 PM
I have tried downgrading the player but i still cannot play .mkv files (unsupported).

Tnx for turtorial Shurakai.

lfcapelo
05-07-2011, 08:37 AM
hi Karun,
if you want to watch L5.1 files, would you like to downgrade your player?
v.1.31 works fine with the L5.1 profile playback.
actually, no. I've downgraded to 1.31 and it doesn't play the files either.

gp2
05-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I can not believe that there is still no firmware update for the BDP5100. So many people tell you, that the player stops reacting to the remote when connecting an USB Device. It's soooo annoying, and it happens only sometimes I want to watch any movie from my 1tb USB Harddisk. But when it does, it's very annoying.. It seems, that it doesn't happen with version 1.31, but this version has some other problems with some MKV's (incompatible).

So the Version 1.53 would be perfect, there just seems to be one bug somewhere in the code ? I know that you tested it and couldn't prove the issue. But it's almost impossible to prove it by testing only a few times. It also happens not immediately, always after 10 minutes i guess, after the movie starts...

So please Philips-Team, do check it again and give us an update as soon as possible!

Kind Regards

Lorraine
05-11-2011, 08:39 AM
hi gp2,

Agree. it s almost impossible to reproduce the prob if you test it a few times.
but i m wondering what problem it is actually. I personally dont have this problem with my unit.
can you play the file if it is burnt to a disc/ via DLNA? so that we can conclude that's not the problem of the file itself. it may be the compatibility of the USB used? if that's so, what USB you are using?

Lorraine
05-11-2011, 08:40 AM
actually, no. I've downgraded to 1.31 and it doesn't play the files either.

hi Ifcapelo,

are you referring to L5.1 profile files?

gp2
05-11-2011, 11:05 AM
I don't know if it' really necessary to reproduce, because almost every user has got ths problem, and seemes that iit doesn't happen with older firmewares than 1.53!
It can happen on every Movie file wich is on the Harddisk, and doesn't happen with files on DVD's or Bluray. To repeat: It's only a problem with connected USB-Devices.
I Use a 1TB Western Digital Harddisk, in an external case - works fine, but than sometimes...

bertrandh
05-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Philips contacted me this morning in private asking for files to test and reproduce the issue. Unfortunately, I still have no internet in my property...

quapor
05-13-2011, 01:52 PM
What kind of test do you mean ?
When I watch big size video from USB port device, my player stops respond to commands sent by remote control, not only remote control, same behavior when I press buttons on front panel. So I looks that player is frozen.

Toengel
05-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Hi,

but the video is still playing... and if the video ends (and if the video was the last file in the usb folder) the player works perfectly again... these are my observations with my BDP9600

Toengel@Alex

gp2
05-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Philips contacted me this morning in private asking for files to test and reproduce the issue. Unfortunately, I still have no internet in my property...

The issue can appear on any *.avi or *.mkv file which is larger than 700mb (that's my experience - probably every movie file). So I think they don't need a specific file!

So what philips need to do for debugging is:

1. Connect a harddisk with Movie-files on it (don'tknow if the size of the harddisk does matter, I use 1tb)
2. Start a movie, and wait about 15-20 minutes (without doing anything on the remote after the movie is started)
3. Try if the remote still reacts (repeat the process if yes)

greetz

lfcapelo
05-14-2011, 09:39 AM
hi Ifcapelo,

are you referring to L5.1 profile files?

yes. pretty much all the files in my hard drive were playable when I had 1.18 firmware.
upgrading to 1.53 made a lot of them stop working (5.1).
downgrading to 1.31 still doesn't play the same files.

josebaba
05-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Philips, solution now, i'm bored of waiting!!!!

josebaba
05-16-2011, 03:20 PM
It's been three months since we opened the thread and Philips does not offer a solution. I thought it was a serious manufacturer.

jvpeters
05-17-2011, 04:48 AM
Think it is a serious manufacturer producing great BDP units. Just the software is too crappy sometimes

bertrandh
05-17-2011, 09:07 AM
To answer the question:
Philps asked me for a file to test and reproduce the bug.
They want to analyze the files.

Unfortunately, it is not a problem with specific files, it does it with all files longer than a certain length or bigger than a certain size.
Other than that, I assume they have different ways to look into the process which causes the player to freeze.
I suppose they are having problems to locate the cause of the error (reasonfor contacting users individually for files).

Would be nice if Philips could provide us with an official link for an alternative while working on a solution.

Carin
05-17-2011, 11:04 AM
So, if that happens to all files that are long/ big enough, it will not be hard to reproduce the problem and address the cause I can imagine. Apparently, philips guys couldn't reproduce. That's why they are still asking.May be good just to assist like give them the name of the file or give mediainfo analysis instead of sending the whole file over. After all, it's not that difficult to help...

bertrandh
05-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Carin, if you look at the post number 66, you will read I have no internet connection at home.. That's why I cannot upload a file. Replying here from work. But, you are right, anyone who can help Philips should do so in order to fix this bug.

About reproducing the problem, many other people here say they are having the same problem. Again, it is a general problem. Even other Philips models have had or still this issue. One reason to think Philips is trying to experiement a new way of handling video files which is apparently not too good.

Philips
05-17-2011, 11:59 AM
Dear users,

To further investigate this problem we would need some files to study. We have not been able to reproduce it until now.

Please send a PM if you want to give us one of the files or tell us where you buy them. I will get in contact with you as soon as possible.

Kind regards,

bertrandh
05-17-2011, 12:52 PM
To Philips:
Two problems have been reported in this thread.
1. Player freezing while playing video files after 10 minutes of uninterupted play after start
2. people saying they can no longer play .mkv files

I am referring to problem 1.

Several people have already reported the problem. What is interesting is one managed to solve it but the solution was not posted.

Carin: how did you install your 1.53? Was it from USB or from a CD?

Here are posts of people reporting problem 1. Just in case Philips forgot these.

WHA1949 post 7 apparently managed to solve the problem. But, no solution was posted.
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1051-BDP-5100-where-can-I-get-the-OLDER-non-1.53-version-of-firmware-1.53-bad.&p=4033&viewfull=1#post4033

Claus #8
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1051-BDP-5100-where-can-I-get-the-OLDER-non-1.53-version-of-firmware-1.53-bad.

aemike post #37
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1051-BDP-5100-where-can-I-get-the-OLDER-non-1.53-version-of-firmware-1.53-bad.&p=5405&viewfull=1#post5405

josebaba #41
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1051-BDP-5100-where-can-I-get-the-OLDER-non-1.53-version-of-firmware-1.53-bad.&p=6309&viewfull=1#post6309
The person says going back to the previous version solves the problem (post #57).
Posting again in #71 and 72

gp2 post 62
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1051-BDP-5100-where-can-I-get-the-OLDER-non-1.53-version-of-firmware-1.53-bad.&p=6554&viewfull=1#post6554
details how the bug takes place - post 69

bertrandh
05-17-2011, 01:09 PM
I understand that downgrading ONLY is not a solution.

Philips asked me to:
04-26-2011 10:51 AM

Hi bertrandh,

Can you downgrade the player and then upgrade again to see if the problem persists?

Thanks and regards

As explained earlier, megaupload is blocked for me.

I am still waiting for Philips to give me an option downgrade and reupgrade. It is possible something went wrong while upgrading.

Please post it here so we can all try it at the same time.
with detailed instructions.

Carin
05-17-2011, 02:24 PM
hi bertrandh,
thanks so much for your summary. I upgraded my player through USB. it seems normal for most of the time. but sometimes, there is problem 1 you refer to. it won't happen to every file I play (disregard the size), just happen to 1 in 10 times of playback and that's in avi fomat. since my case it s totally random (you may not be able to reproduce the problem if you try for one more time on the same file), I don't think I can give very useful information to philips.
But, yes, I think you're right, if you are blocked from that megaupload website, I do think Philips should supply a trusted link for this.
still hope philips to resolve this shortly.

gp2
05-17-2011, 02:29 PM
I am still waiting for Philips to give me an option downgrade and reupgrade. It is possible something went wrong while upgrading.

No it doesn't change anything, i did it. 1.31 was incompatible with some of my mkv's. Also there is no support of Chapters in mkv's - so I reupdated it to 1.53 - nothing changed.

Toengel
05-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi,

maybe this problem has nothing to do with the movie files.

What if the software libraries for the remote control / player buttons have some kind of problem (cause the movie is still playing without problems in the background). Maybe the libraries produce some kind of buffer overflow. Or they use the same memory as the buffer for the movies. Or the libraries crash due to some memory leakages.

The freezing problem was observed in all BDP series: 5000, 7000, 8000, 9000... So, it has to be something what is similar in all BDPs...

Toengel@Alex

WHA1949
05-17-2011, 10:02 PM
WHA1949 post 7 apparently managed to solve the problem. But, no solution was posted.

Sorry for missunderstanding, the only problem solved was my registration.

I even have the problem with simple mp3 files. Play music(mp3) for more than 15 minutes and the player blocks.
Really annoying.

To Philips: Why don't you provide a file that doesn't block after after 15 minutes. You say you cannot reproduce the error, but for us i'ts the inverse: we only have files that block.

bertrandh
05-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Last week-end, I watched different video files. Older ones. Didn't have any problem to pause them playing.
Pause: no problem
Remote control responding
Home button working fine
However, the STOP button would cause the player to freeze.

Maybe, it was better because these videos were obviously encoded with older codecs?

Anyway, Carin is no longer the only person saying not all videos do it. ;-)

Carin
05-25-2011, 03:44 AM
Hi bertrandh,

Thanks for supporting ;-) I guess it's true: I have problems with the newer ones and dont seem to have problems with the older files.

And @WHA1949,
I can imagine how annoying it is when the mp3 files not play and want to see if that's present to my BDP as well. (I seldom use it for music, usually watching movies...) So, basically you put some mp3 inside a USB and that can't be played after 15 minis? Is that a track that last for 15 mins or more than one track in that 15 mins playback?

Read somewhere in other forums that when playing a CD with some text, it has playability issue...(another model i forgot). but you are not trying with a CD right?

Carin
05-25-2011, 03:45 AM
@WHA1949
And yes I can share some of my files to you that can be played if you want ...

bertrandh
05-27-2011, 01:29 PM
To Philips
My testing has proven that:
- the size of the file was not the issue.
-> sent you a file smaller than 700 MB which can't be paused or stopped if you play it more than 10 minutes (approximation)
- not all files do it
-> older files, using older codecs, can be paused and the remote control does respond. The only is when pressing the STOP (causes the player to freeze).
Based on these points, as the filesize cannot be set as a rule, I would recommend
1/ to have a look into testing newer codecs. The latest ones.
2/ the error occurs after playing the file for a while. the way the file is manipulated while playing could be a good aspect to look at.

To other users
Would be nice if other people complaining could contact the user Philips in private and upload 2 or 3 files for testing. I am pretty sure this would be very helpful for them. Don't to test again to test the file again before sending, so there is no doubt the error can be reproduced.

We all want to solve this. Let's help as much as we can. :-)

bertrandh
05-27-2011, 08:07 PM
To Philips:
Two problems have been reported in this thread.
1. Player freezing while playing video files after 10 minutes of uninterupted play after start
(...)

To clarify the issue.

I discovered Philips thought it meant the video would stop playing.

No, the video continues to play till the end. It is the remote control which no longer works. This makes it impossible to pause or stop the video.

wanderingteacake
05-28-2011, 02:52 AM
Hi there.

I've just updated my 5100/05 from 1.18 (I think) to 1.53, which appears to have solved the locking-up I was getting when attempting to play BD-R discs. However, looking through the set-up, the TV display selection I recall being there - "21:9" - has disappeared, and my unit now shows "Error" instead. 21:9 is no longer available as an option, which is a shame as I bought this player with my 56pfl9954h set specifically for 21:9 use.

Any chance that option could be restored?

Toengel
05-28-2011, 09:32 AM
Hi,

your BDP send 1920x1080 to your TV and your TV now "removes" the black bars... The option was also present in the BDP9600 Manual but never in the firmware...

Toengel@Alex

wanderingteacake
05-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Toengel.

quapor
05-28-2011, 10:52 PM
In my view they will not repair it, each update except of small repair adds only another new problem.
It seems to me like the chief engineer bdp players had gotten testimony and now it saves
two students who know nothing about it.
Philips already scrappted a TV divison, it seems to me that this approach also impact bdp players.
About two years Philips will sell only mixers and razors

josebaba
05-30-2011, 11:38 AM
I can't understand why these dates philips does not release a new version.

Frustrated
06-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Dear Philipis supportees,

the freezing problems seems to be related to having "Easy Link" activated. If "Easy Link - Support" is completely (Support + Remote) deactivated in TV's setup menu _and_ the BDP's setup menu, then the BDP 5100 played more than one MKV file in a row without freezing.

Downgrading to a previous firmware version is no option, because I don't want to miss the "Net TV"-feature, which was new with 1.53. Besides even 1.31 had a freezing problem.

I really look forward for a fixed firmware for this crappy BDP player.

( takes almost 2 minutes to initialize blu rays :-(, no eject-button on remote, even is slow when initializing normal DVDs or CDs )

Toengel
06-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi,

you can eject the disc by pressing the stop button for about 3 seconds.

Toengel@Alex

bertrandh
06-02-2011, 12:04 PM
@Frustrated: thank you so much for your tip to disable the Easylink feature. I have just tested it on one video. I no longer have the pausing problem.

Toengel
06-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Hi,

could be really Easylink the origin for the freezing problem? Many users (also with different BDP) have the freezing problem...

Toengel@Alex

bertrandh
06-02-2011, 12:19 PM
Toengel: I am home today and testing a second video. Will let you know if another file now has the problem solved. Answer in 12 minutes.

bertrandh
06-02-2011, 12:35 PM
problem still there with the other file

Oscar
06-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Is this an X-file........

bertrandh
06-02-2011, 01:57 PM
No.
Same files as the ones submitted to Philips.

WHA1949
06-02-2011, 04:04 PM
I disabled Easy Link and tested playing mp3 files.

Results:

1. I could stop first file I played after about 15 minutes.
2. I had no success with an other file, however the disc tray came out when I pressed stop for a long time.
3. I notice that the screensaver comes on after 10 minutes. Maybe problem is related to this.

WHA1949
06-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Disabling Screen Saver might help

I disabled screen saver and left on Easy Link. I played 2 different mp3 files and for the first time was able to stop them immediately after 12 and 15 minutes.
Note that the screensaver is nonsense anyway, because when it comes on it only makes disappear the playing info, but leaves on the blue Philips background.

gp2
06-03-2011, 05:43 PM
OMG the Screen Saver ???
Yes! It seems that deactivating it really solves the problem. I've Tried about 10 films so far - the remote worked fine after 10-20 minutes.

Can't believe it acutally and I will try out more files to be shure.

Toengel
06-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi,

that would be great if you guys found out the origin of the freezing problem! I will also try this...

Toengel@Alex

josebaba
06-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I have disabled the screen saver and have not had any more problems of freezing with the version 1.53. Thank you very much WHA1949.
Josebaba

bertrandh
06-07-2011, 07:10 AM
I submitted files to Philips now two weeks ago I think with detailed instructions on how to reproduce the problem which causes the player to continue playing the video without responding to the remote. Within 24 hours, they followed my instructions and tested the files. Philips even provided me with a video of their testing. Their recording demonstrated they couldn't reproduce the problem on their side with a BDP5100. I wanted to post this in order to correct the idea saying or implying that Philips was not doing any effort to look into this issue.

Disabling easylink didn't solve the problem. Still have to try the screensaver trick.

Oscar
06-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Looking at all the reactions I really think that the screensaver part does the trick. Now lets see if they do something about it also

Philips
06-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks Bertrandh for sending us 3 files in total for testing. This did help our investigation a lot (knowing it’s not the problem of the video itself etc). Yes, we were not able to reproduce the problem with your files and we are looking into the possibilities that the “screensaver on” actually causes the problem.

Your testing results after switching the screensaver off are more than welcome for our investigation.

Thanks a lot.

aemike
06-16-2011, 12:43 AM
Dam still no working upgrade best i do this player in trash and buy a Panasonic, sad i must say that but Phillips do nothing or to less to fix problems!!!
Support do only feed with hopes :mad: or say please sending the Player for repair LOL LOL LOL :confused:

Realy i like to say dont give as a player to purchasing if the not work corectly THANK YOU!

bertrandh
06-16-2011, 05:48 AM
Dam still no working upgrade best i do this player in trash and buy a Panasonic, sad i must say that but Phillips do nothing or to less to fix problems!!!
Support do only feed with hopes :mad: or say please sending the Player for repair LOL LOL LOL :confused:

Realy i like to say dont give as a player to purchasing if the not work corectly THANK YOU!

Another person who posts before reading a thread.

Oscar
06-16-2011, 07:01 AM
Indeed it looks like that. Aemike did you read through it all?

aemike
06-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Another person who posts before reading a thread.

I read it but i meant a other mega bug, THIS ONE IST THE BAD OF ALL:

If you watch Blu Ray Disk movie stop for1 sec or less you did not notice that lol?
Only usal DVD work without stop!

I have 2 other players the not make this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and one of them is 2 years old!

I dont think the can fix that Player itīs the player tech self... iam sorry!..........

For me itīs done player is on ebay now.....

Best regards:
Mike

Toengel
06-16-2011, 03:59 PM
If you watch Blu Ray Disk movie stop for1 sec or less you did not notice that lol?

Hi,

I don't understand. Can you please explain again?

Toengel@Alex

aemike
06-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi,

I don't understand. Can you please explain again?

Toengel@Alex

How can i explian it?!

________ if you watch a Blu ray disk some times the movie do a break of around one sec. or less.. its meant laser seach next chapter you can notice that and it nerves! Usal by 95% of my Blu ray disk i have notice it...

I have 2 other Blu Ray player the dont do that ! or you cant notice the Jump.

Regards:
Mike

Toengel
06-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Hi,

then you should ask your dealer/shop for a replacement...

Toengel@Alex

aemike
06-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Hi,

then you should ask your dealer/shop for a replacement...

Toengel@Alex

I did change 2 times already.....

Dmitrock
07-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi,

I have BDP5180/12 firmware 1.50 and freezing problem has plagued me since I bought the device.
I disabled EasyLink and ScreenSaver features and seems like the issue is gone.
Thanks guys for your suggestions! It's very strange that Philips support didn't came up with such a simple solution.

But anyway, the device can't play mkv files with media profiles above L4.1. Am I undestanding correctly that only solution is downgrading to firmware ver. 1.3x ?

Best regards,
D.

bertrandh
07-18-2011, 07:04 PM
Sorry about my silence.
Have been very busy.
Since I have turned off the screensaver; I have not had any problem at all to pause my videos.
Plenty tests done and it is all good.

If Philips can't reproduce the problem and solve, they should AT LEAST document the solution. No need to bring the player back to the shop for this...

Bye

BerndS
07-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Hi,
I've tested deactivating the screensaver, but it didn't work for me (mkv/avi still freezing every few minutes), so I downgraded to 1.3 and everything works fine again. But I still hope there will be a new firmware so I can use NetTV again.

Bernd

kwinnie
07-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Hi BerndS,

a friend from the forum (Bertrandh) suggested this to me. I haven't yet tested myself. but I guess you can have a try:

"if screensaver OFF and easylink OFF, the problem was still there. However, leaving screensaver OFF and easylink ON (all three options) fixes the issue."

Maybe you can have a try on the options?

(I hope Bertrandh doesn't mind I share this to the other users as well...;-))

bertrandh
07-22-2011, 05:52 AM
Hi,

That is correct.

I have the Philips BDP player and a samsung TV (a recent one). My TV responds to easylink.

It had been suggested by someone, before the screensaver was mentioned, that the easylink might have something to do with it.

If I turn off the easylink AND the screensaver, after playing dvd's and restarting the player a few times, the problem will still be present.

However, if I leave the easylink ON (all three options ON) and switch the screensaver to OFF, then the problem disappears. For some reason, the fix is not instant. You might have to watch a few movies and restart your player three or four times before you notice any change. I don't know why.

While investigating the problem of not being able to pause, I found scenarios to reproduce the problem. So, it didn't come randomly. And, with these settings, it is now impossible for me to get the error again.

Downgrading should NOT be necessary. I never changed the firmware of my player. The first installation of the version 1.53 is still running.

Bertrand

WHA1949
08-05-2011, 01:15 PM
It seems that 1.57 is available. Release notes say nothing about changes, but there is 1 positiv comment related to DLNA support.
Anybody tried it?

Toengel
08-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Hi,

System Software Version: 1.57

Enhance the video file playability.
Enable subtitle for .mkv playback.

Toengel@Alex

bertrandh
08-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Upgraded my firmware to 1.57 two days ago.

Tried a few videos from both USB and data dvd. (screensaver set to OFF)
-> no bad surprise

DVD's and Blu-ray's still playing very well.

Bertrand

Doobyduck
08-07-2011, 08:07 PM
Upgraded firmware to 1.57 for first time (was on some horrendous old version) - everything seems to be working fine including MKVs - enabling subtitles seems great!

Adde
10-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Hi Support and all!

I live in Sweden and got the 5100/12 a few days ago. It was delivered with firmware version 1.18, which I upgraded to 1.57 and then down to 1.31 using the file in this thread. I have several MKVs that worked fine over DLNA using version 1.18 but not with the others. I can also confirm the EasyLink/screensaver related freezing issues. Since the image quality of videos are great, when they work, and I got the player at a very competitive price, I am happy to help out searching for bugs and beta test firmware releases (if possible/needed).

Please provide instructions and details for collecting useful feedback.

bufflig
01-31-2012, 08:01 AM
Hi!

As you probably all know, megaupload has been blocked/ taken out of service by someone powerful enough... So, can anyone that downloaded this firmware before the shutdown of megaupload please help a loser that didn't, by uploading it somewhere else? Please!?

Cheers!

wish you luck, bro.

sithantonio
01-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi Support and all!

I live in Sweden and got the 5100/12 a few days ago. It was delivered with firmware version 1.18, which I upgraded to 1.57 and then down to 1.31 using the file in this thread. I have several MKVs that worked fine over DLNA using version 1.18 but not with the others. I can also confirm the EasyLink/screensaver related freezing issues. Since the image quality of videos are great, when they work, and I got the player at a very competitive price, I am happy to help out searching for bugs and beta test firmware releases (if possible/needed).

Please provide instructions and details for collecting useful feedback.

The problem is that the new movies in blu-ray (such as Star wars movies) works good only if you have the version 1.57 of the bd-player.
You can ask philips (open.source@philips.com) in order that sends you the open source software, maybe this could help with several problems in movies with divx format.

Thanks a lot!!

bufflig
02-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Hi!
Like so many on this thread, I also had the issue of unresponsive remote after viewing a movie for a while on a BDP5100/12. Disabling screensaver did not help. Before returning the player, I thought I'd give it another try and read up on everything that people had done to make the player work (and reported in this forum). I then did *everything* suggested and the player has now worked for several days without freezing. What I did was the following:

* Burn the software upgrade to a data DVD, placing the UPG_ALL folder (with the BDP_5100_S_B.BIN file in it) in the root of the DVD. I then inserted the DVD in the player and upgrade (to the same version as was already on it) started automatically. The last time I upgraded i did it from an USB stick, so the DVD was the only difference.
* Reset to *factory defaults* (I believe this might be important...). I did not do that the last time.
* Select English as language in the menues (but I still have Swedish for NetTv content). I had Swedish as the menu language before.
* Change video output format from Auto to 1080i, I had it on auto the last time.
* Disable screensaver. As I already tried the last time.
* I kept the EasyLink, because that's essential to my setup.

All these steps put together rendered me a working media player for content on my media server. At least it has worked for several days. The problem was 100% reproducable before I took these steps. So - if just disabling the screen saver does not work for you, try all the things mentioned above and you might end up with a working player!

Cheers!

Sammy
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Hi Guys,

Made the mistake of upgrading to 1.57 thinking the problems with 1.53 would've been solved. Bad mistake (should have seen the warning flags). I had 1.18 which came with the player but at least then it worked. Now it freezes every now and then, 21:9 for subtitle shift is gone (maybe the only reason for buying in the first place) and HDMI output says "not supported" on my projector. Would be a dream come true if some kind soul could share firmware 1.31 again. Pleeease. As there seems to be no way of getting it from Philips directly (standard procedure is to have at least the last 3-4 versions) so we have at least a chance to rollback...

Sam

sithantonio
03-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Hi Sam!
Here it is the firmware 1.31 for bdp 5100/12, uploaded by my:
https://rapidshare.com/files/1014196514/bdp5100_12_131UPG_ALL.zip

And i remember you that here is a new version 1.62:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=BDP5100/12&slg=en&scy=GB

Bye!

Sammy
03-15-2012, 04:11 PM
Muchos Gracias Antonio, you have saved my weekend. After posting yesterday I found the new version 1.62. Haven't been able to test it yet but I could see that 21:9 mode is still missing... Gonna have a look tonight and then I'll probably rollback to 1.31. Thanks again :))

Sam

WHA1949
05-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Hi

I upgraded to Version 1.62. As far as I see the player still works. But I see no changes, neither positive nor negative. Still hope there are some unseen goddies.

noogi
12-23-2012, 09:04 AM
Hi Sam!
Here it is the firmware 1.31 for bdp 5100/12, uploaded by my:
https://rapidshare.com/files/1014196514/bdp5100_12_131UPG_ALL.zip

And i remember you that here is a new version 1.62:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=BDP5100/12&slg=en&scy=GB

Bye!

Hi!

Could someone uploaded again 1.31 firmware please?
Link above not working anymore.

regards
Merry Christmas!