PDA

View Full Version : Really Bad Sound! 37PFL5405H/12

Acadiafall
02-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Hi all!

I hope this is the right place to post this, couldnt find anywhere else that looked right!

Im quite happy with this tv, its the first lcd ive had for tv viewing. Took me a while to set it all up but now it looks great. Thing is, the sound is pathetic. I bought this tv because it advertised the 'virtual 20W' speakers or something.

Well either mine fell off in transit or they arnt turned on. Pushing up the bass has little to no effect and its the same with the treble. Im also fairly sure the 'ambience' has no effect either. Music sounds absolutely terrible, like someone is singing into a tin can.

I hope im missing something obvious here. Theres no deep bass whatsoever! My Old Panasonic big fat tube tv was so much better than this its unbelieveable, sound wise I mean.

It looks like im going to have to hook the tv up to my staereo but im hoping im missing something here as this tv sounds worse than a very small portable tv!

Thanks

Acadiafall
02-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Would a software update do anything?

hfrbe
02-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Hi

I just bought this tv also
it's really a terrible sound
A smal transitor radio from the 70's even sounds better
all sound is justcoming from the bottom centre of the tv
I just saw the service manual and it's seems there is one small speaker in the middle(bottom) and 2 extra small tweaters (L and R) but I din't yet heard them.
I even mailed Philips Consumer about this , but it's due to "not enough place"
I can't get it , philips can sell a television with that bad sound
If they just had put a output for 2 cheap pc speakers , teh sound was already much better. but you need to buy a expensive surround system , cause there's only digital out

it's a shame

think it will be my last philips buy

Acadiafall
02-18-2011, 05:29 PM
I agree. So much for the dynamic bass and all the other stuff they mention about the tv.

After reading what customers thought about the TV on Amazon, apparently a fairly cheap (30 - 40 euro) 2.1 computer speaker set up can be added to the headphone socket for better sound. Im going to try to hook my TV up to my stereo, ive no idea what cable I need though.

One of the reasons I bought this TV was for the sound which Philips advertise as being fantastic. This is blatantly untrue as its totally and utterly rubbish.

hfrbe
02-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I wonder how.
Cause the only output is digital out (coax)
And headphone out .

Acadiafall
02-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Already done. Digital out to digital in on av receiver.

If this hadnt worked then the headphone socket could easily have been used. Im not sure what you mean but it worked straight away.

FrTed
02-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Hi
I use the headphone socket to feed my surround sound on AUX. 1000w savage stuff
Cheers
T

hfrbe
02-20-2011, 07:48 AM
what I ment was :
connecting cheap 2.1 via headphone is really easy , but change the volume can't be done via normal remote from TV ?
digital out : that isn't a cheap sollution . For me this tv is used as second tv
for me this tv (sound) is a big mistake from Philips. Good quallity of image but sound ...

Acadiafall
02-21-2011, 12:42 PM
what I ment was :
connecting cheap 2.1 via headphone is really easy , but change the volume can't be done via normal remote from TV ?
digital out : that isn't a cheap sollution . For me this tv is used as second tv
for me this tv (sound) is a big mistake from Philips. Good quallity of image but sound ...

Several 2.1 or 5.1 systems have remote controls. of course you would have to pay a bit extra for this.

Acadiafall
02-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Youre right though. For philips to advertise this tv as having virtual 2.1 speakers blah blah blah is total crap. I cant believe they can get away with it.