PDA

View Full Version : Supported CODEC overview for ALL models (TV, HTS, and Blu-ray)

Philips
02-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Please find attached an overview of all supported CODEC's in our model numbers. Now not only for TV but also for HTS (HTSxxxx) and Blu-ray (BDPxxxx) players.

You can consult this file to see if your movie file is playable on your product.
1. Analyse with e.g. Mediainfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en) or G-spot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) your movie file (both are freeware programs).
2. With this info (audio and video codec), check in the XLS overview if this format is supported.
3. If, according to the XLS overview, this format is supported but it still does not play on your model (*), contact your local help desk.

(*) If the format is NOT supported, you might consider converting it to a format that IS supported. There are several freeware programs for doing this. Consider www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html) or www.pcfreetime.com (http://www.pcfreetime.com).

GuinnessTrinker
02-19-2011, 12:08 PM
This means it is impossible to watch _any_ video from an "Open Internet" address via NetTV -> Internet with 2010 TV devices??

Are all the other NetTV sources filtered/transformed through a specific NetTV-proxy like

itv.mit-xperts.com/zdfmediathek/
nettv.cinetrailer.it/philips/
nettv.tomtom.com

?

Jomsp
02-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Please find attached an overview of all supported CODEC's in our model numbers. Now not only for TV but also for HTS (HTSxxxx) and Blu-ray (BDPxxxx) players.

This file is an MS Excel file that you can consult to see if your movie file is playable on your product.
1. Analyse with e.g. Mediainfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en) or G-spot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) your movie file (both are freeware programs).
2. With this info (audio and video codec), check in the XLS overview if this format is supported.
3. If, according to the XLS overview, this format is supported but it still does not play on your model (*), contact your local help desk.

(*) If the format is NOT supported, you might consider converting it to a format that IS supported. There are several freeware programs for doing this. Consider www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html or www.pcfreetime.com.

Thanks Philips for accurate information

Not listed in the table row TV2010-models for "avi" in "File Extension". I guess it is a mistake, right?. In my TV 40PFL8605 I can play without problems the "avi" and see "avi" in the table of TV2009.

Moreover, by DLNA, I could not play any of the six or seven "mkv" with "H.264" and "MP3" I've tried. I guess it would not meet any of the other parameters (container, resolution, frame rate, bit rate). Is the resolution has to be exactly 1920x1080p to 1920x1080 or is it?.

In the first two rows of the table models TV2010, are empty values "File Extension" and "Container". I suppose in both rows, they mean mkv (File Extension) and "MKV" (Container), right?.

I would appreciate clarification of the issues.

Best regards
Thanks

Toengel
02-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi,

you could use mediainfo.sourceforge.net to take a look at the used codecs in the media files (switch to text mode in mediainfo).

Toengel@Alex

Jomsp
02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi,

you could use mediainfo.sourceforge.net to take a look at the used codecs in the media files (switch to text mode in mediainfo).

Toengel@Alex

Thanks Toengel,

In future I will do as you say sometimes.

However, they also appreciate it if Philips, or yourself, I clarify the other issues I asked ..

Greetings

WHA1949
03-04-2011, 07:15 AM
I found that my BDP5100 also recoginzes and plays files with extension .mov and .vob, in addition to what is explained in codec table.

sheldor
03-11-2011, 01:00 AM
I got 40PFL7605H/12 and I am having problem with .mkv I have tryed about 7 files and just one was possible to read. I don't know if it's something I am doing wrong or it's codec problems.

The file I could read with the program MediaInfo say:
1 video stream: AVC - Writing application: mkvmerge v4.0.0
1 audio stream: AC-3 - Writing library: libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

The files I could not read
1 video stream: AVC - Writing application: mkvmerge v3.2.0
1 audio stream: DTS - Writing library: libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1

1 video stream: AVC - Writing application: mkvmerge v3.1.0
1 audio stream: DTS - Writing library: libebml v0.7.9 + libmatroska v0.8.1

Any help please.

petasis
03-11-2011, 06:12 AM
Philips' TVs do not handle files with DTS at all. This of course makes the internal :media player" useless, so its better to use an external one. Also, subtitles are not supported.

eyolf2006
03-23-2011, 07:44 AM
I use TVersity MediaServer to stream pictures, music and movies (.avi) via LAN from my server.
For some reason, I seem to be unable to play .mkv and .m4v files both via DLNA and USB on my BDP5100.
Any attempt to play .mkv will result in error message complaining about the file format.
Upon purchase, my BDP5100 had firmware version 1.27 installed.
I then upgraded to 1.31, then 1.53 (latest one?), but still no luck with my matroska-videos.
Found a tip in another thread suggesting renaming .mkv's to -avi would bypass this problem, but it did not provide any solution to me.
Please advise.

Freddo
03-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Also, subtitles are not supported.
That's something I really want them to add. They should support these to 100%.
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/ssa.html
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/srt.html
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/subtitles/images.html

And of course, it should also support as many codecs as possible from here, especially DTS and Vorbis audio would be nice.
http://www.matroska.org/technical/specs/codecid/index.html

carlosfm
03-26-2011, 06:36 PM
I have Foobar2000 set up as UPnP server for music files - it works very well.
It is transcoding Flac to Wav for my Philips 37PFL7605H/12 TV.

Why doesn't Philips include the Flac codec on their products?
It's a Free Lossless Audio Codec...

GuinnessTrinker
04-06-2011, 05:05 PM
If the format is NOT supported, you might consider converting it to a format that IS supported. There are several freeware programs for doing this.

This is also a nice transcoder:
http://www.mediacoderhq.com/

Franck78
04-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Hello,

The TV (32pfl7605 fr me) have a base software running it that is called LINUX.

LINUX is a totally free (in term of license).

ALL the free (money this time) codec are available first under the free linux system. ALL.
They are debugged, tuned, discussed, tested first on linux platforms.

PHILIPS have absolutly NO GOOD REASON to remove the support already existing for theses codecs. They are OPEN STANDART, they are available, they are free to use, they are tested, they are KNOWN.

CONVERTING openformat to closed format IS NO A VALID RESPONSE.

Franck

Toengel
04-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Hi,

however, the Philips TV CPU and hardware are limited. You can't easily add codecs and hope anything is alright... On my PC I can't play HD-MKVs without problems (my hardware isn't powerful enough) - even when I installed the right codecs... Think about that... ;)

Toengel@Alex

Franck78
04-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Hi,

however, the Philips TV CPU and hardware are limited.

Toengel@Alex

ah, then I suggest removal of useless DEMO video. Or useless scenea program.
That's for room.

AVI, MKV, MP4 etc etc are containers only. No cpu hog here. Just some kbytes of code (not even one meg) to extract sound tracks, video track, subtitle tracks or lyrics ;-)

Video codec, ok I didn't open the tv to see if it uses hardware decoders.

Sound codec, no excuse here, it decodes mp3, it can decode flac and ogg and every other phone codecs.

There is no technically valid reason. Philips just thinks that 98% customers think microsoft/mac are the only systems. Why bother for 2% knowing reality. Of course, it is hard to say it while using the alternative system !

Invest some money in real project/program like VLC to have real video system in your tv. Philips (as others TV manufacturers) is not able to write good code. Writing code is not the same job as making electronics devices. It is not your job. You just start discovering this with the JOINTSPACE project released to public; with every encryption system you wrote has been cracked; with HDCP now cracked also.

One more tip : remove HDCP from HDMI, it will free more room for good code and eliminate thousands of compatibility supports problems with others products.

Think that making a TV becomes only a matter of assembling common subsystems. An LCD, not made by you, a microprocessor board or good pc board, not made by you, a standart tnt tuner, not made by you. And glueing software made by you.
Anybody can make TV. No more complicated analog video circuit, secam/pal/ntsc decoders or nicam sound knowledge. No more complicated cathode ray tube with deviations circuits and HT pump.

The software is the only component where Philips can be better than others. And no one will says you started race in the pole position ;-)

Franck

Toengel
04-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Hi,

you don't understood what I said. Memory space (as you suggested by removing the demo video) has nothing to do with CPU/hardware limitation. If the hardware isn't powerful enough to decode a movie (with a special codec), I fully understand why the codec isn't implemented...

BTW - you can't sell TVs or any other HDMI device without HDCP... licensing/content owner rights... think about that. If you don't get that you live in a dream world...

Toengel@Alex

Franck78
04-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Hello Philips, Toengel,

Funny to constat only proprietary format are playable on cheap cpu and none of the free format have powerfull enought cpu.
Funny to constat a 'container' format is hard to understand.
The response to this is easy
-fully describe the build process to get the autorun.upg
-or release an alternative unsupported version that you may use for feedback testing.

HDCP is dead. It's a matter of some years before a chineese manufacturer produce a chip with the master key, always saying "ok, send me your valuable data on the secure link" ;-)

For people reading this, HDCP is the main source of problem when connecting HDMI devices. Every device in the world have a bug free implementation of mpeg, of mp3, of h264. And HDCP comes on top of that to break simple things. Manufacturers decide by default that their customers are robbers. Yes no more. (http://www.abccables.com/info-hdmi-problems.html)

Software is the only component you can rely on to differentiate. Remember that. It will take ~five years to sort out wich one is good. Remember also that with the poor hardware design, a product is 4/5 years life before going to trash (ah green bashing marketing). Moving to another manufacturer is very fast.

Franck

Franck78
04-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi,

On my PC I can't play HD-MKVs without problems (my hardware isn't powerful enough) - even when I installed the right codecs... Think about that... ;)

Toengel@Alex
Hello To Engel,

You run a windows os probably. The problem with this system is that most of cpu power is used against you (native drm). Second you probably added a ton of antivirus antispam antianything programs. You don't have a lot of your cpu power working for you..

Luckily, a linux tv (or linux pc) have much less problem ;-)
Franck

Toengel
04-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Hi,

You run a windows os probably.
Yes.

The problem with this system is that most of cpu power is used against you (native drm).
No. What DRM? Context is missing...

Second you probably added a ton of antivirus antispam antianything programs.
No.

You don't have a lot of your cpu power working for you..
All my CPU power is working for me. No power consuming program runs in the background.

Luckily, a linux tv (or linux pc) have much less problem ;-)
90% of failure are sitting in front of the computer. So each computer is only as good as the user who uses the computer...

Toengel@Alex

Franck78
04-17-2011, 03:35 PM
... cpu is working for me ...

oh oh not at all :
Read beginning of this.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd756608%28v=vs.85%29.aspx or
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/silverlight_sdk/archive/2010/07/09/silverlight-output-protection.aspx

Just the visible part of the iceberg. The full OS is designed in the unique goal of preventing you from bypassing the drm and take possession of premuim data. This code assume you are a robber and builds barriers working against you.

Maxim DS3655 : hardware is designed just for this purpose. Be sure that if anyday, mobo manufacturers add some tampering detection circuitry on buses, windows will monitor it, without asking you.

Toengel
04-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Hi,

if you want to complain about Microsoft OS go to some freaking linux nerds forum...

This forum is intended to help each other regarding Philips releated products. Not complaining about what is not supported.

If you want a all-in-one device / swiss army knife, just build up your own HTPC or buy a dreambox.

All other discussions are not in the scope of this forum...

Toengel@Alex

Franck78
04-17-2011, 06:57 PM
Recentrate the topic

It is about codec (and container)

The hardware is power enougth to decode mp3 (320kbs,vbr??) but not similar free codec (flac/ogg).
Same for video.

Well, why not after all. The heart of the system is the NXP85500 circuit (or TV550).
http://www.tridentmicro.com/producttree/tv/dtv/pnx/tv550-pnx8550x/
Difficult to find what is hardware vs what is software in this chip.
Multi-standard digitial video decoder (MPEG-2, H.264, MPEG-4) and difficult to imagine engineers limited such a chipset to proprietary codecs only.

Fixing container format is only a matter a political decision, not hardware. Manufacturers are afraid of loosing their market share over controled captive users.

Franck

Jomsp
04-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Franck78, contributed nothing to this forum, do not say anything of interest for this thread, and, worst of all, you do not know what you're talking about.

Why do not you just shut up?.

You're a blablabla.

Franck78
04-18-2011, 11:41 AM
And today's new is Philips giving up with the flat panel tv.
Just ask yourself Jomsp why it was not a plebicist in 10 years ?
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1303112824&newsletter

Bye

Jomsp
04-18-2011, 12:42 PM
If you have problems with codecs comment on it.
Otherwise, refrain from blablabla.

Franck78
04-18-2011, 01:38 PM
"with codecs comment on it. "
oh, yes, with containers first then

M4V is a file container format used by Apple's iTunes application. The M4V file format is a video file format developed by Apple and is very close to MP4 format. The differences are the optional Apple's DRM copyright protection, and the treatment of AC3 (Dolby Digital) audio which is not standardized for MP4 container.

I have riped some dvd with handbrake and used the m4v container. Files with m4v extension are not listed (nor read of course). Rename it with mp4 extension and it becomes readeable.

->identifying file formats with extension only is more than a joke in 2011.
m4v container is fully readable. Sending the track to the correct codec is next step.

F.

Franck78
04-18-2011, 01:57 PM
An AVI container not readeable this time.

Two tracks inside (normal for avi hein)

Video codec: MS MPEG-4 Video v3 (DIV3) res=576x304
Audio codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3 48khz 128kb/s

What is the problem ?

Franck78
04-18-2011, 02:22 PM
another similar non working AVI

MS MPEG-4Video v2 (MP42)
MPEG Audio layer 1/2/3 (mpga) 44100hz 128kbs

Want funny behavior ?
Rename something with mp3 extension and the tv displays a beautiful music reader unable to do anything.

So yes, there is lot to do to produce a good software. Philips said it can't make money with TV ? Laughting. People can put money when the product is high level finish. Sadly it is not the case. No more european manufacturer since today. Korean/Japan will decide for us now.

Franck

Toengel
04-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Hi,

@Philips

your Excel sheet does not include the AVI file format for 2010 TV series...

Toengel@Alex

pado
05-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Hello, I'm having the same problem playing mkv files on my BDP5100. I downloaded the MediaInfo program and checked out one of my mkv files, now what? The results don't say much to me. I also took a look at the list of valid codecs for Philips products and am not sure what to make of it. Does the Philips BDP5100 play mkv files? If so, could explain in simple directions how to play them. Should I just try every mkv file and when it works it works and when it doesn't it doesn't? Should I modify the mkv file somehow, eg change the mkv ending to avi? Please help. I love the product; I just would like to understand it better and have it play mkvs. Thank you.

rozsatamas75
05-16-2011, 07:18 AM
I can't download the xls file. Could anyone send me it via e-mail?

Toengel
05-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Hi,

Download worked for me - press right mouse button and try save as... of course you need to be logged in to download this file...

Toengel@Alex

Franck78
05-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Hi,

@Philips

your Excel sheet does specify the AVI file format for 2010 TV series...
and I have unreadable AVI !

Someone asked in the forum "why buy the high end model instead of low end one ?"

response : to have this kind a problem fixed or better : inexistant !

Franck

ahasver
06-03-2011, 09:22 PM
I'm missing in this Excel sheet (why excel for this purpose???) a description of supported picture formats. Are they described other-where? Seems, that my 8404 couldn't display some very high resolution JPEGs from a digital camera ( about 4000pix width). Where is the limit? So I have to convert this pictures.

I mostly agree with Frank78's point of view, even if some consumer oriented users this don't understand. I think the reason for that problems is, that the management of Philips don't understand how using Open Source could benefit both -Philips AND customer-. They only drop the costs and personal skills for developing software by taking Open Source, but they did make lots of barriers between their application software and the community ("for security reasons") so there is only less benefit in improving by input from community. So they had to put more manpower in software development and design. Now it seems so, they hope, the Chinese will do that...

yanayz
06-25-2011, 07:42 AM
+1
it's elementary to fully support standard formats for HD videos, like MKV.
Also, every lame no-brand product plays subtitle files, so as someone who goes for a higher-end product, I would expect they'll make an effort and have these features long ago.

Franck78
06-25-2011, 09:20 PM
Also, every lame no-brand product plays subtitle files,
yes yes yes, the small unknown company have to be perfect, full of software (cheaper than hardware). The mastodonte can produce low-low-low-end product and sell it as high-end with it's marketing power.

Franck

starterz
08-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Pfff, I mean really, subtitles (at LEAST .SRT) must be supported. Anything else is just non-sense.

marleypinheiro
08-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Itīs ridiculous a nowadays TV donīt read subtitles, I hate my tv because of this and I buyed a new one LG of course. Much better, faster menus, read anything. F... philips

pippo
09-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Hi all,
I would like to know if there is the same list also for tv 42PFL9603D/10... the excel file starts from the xxPFL9xx4 :(

areyoukiddingme??
09-05-2011, 11:16 PM
This is outrageous! The lack of subtitle support for videos played from my WD Passport HDD has made my new shiny expensive TV a useless piece of Philips cr.p! I wish I stayed with only a Philips vacuum cleaner and iron (both of which I paid some premium money for)! If only I knew this I would NEVER HAVE BOUGHT this junk. And I now learn that so many customers already complained about this failure of Philips "engineers" but NO REACTION from them at all. I am gonna make everybody I know and on internet forums aware that Philips is simply a bad company that does not listen to its customers. I wish I went for the cheaper Samsung D6530 that offered so much more, but no, I had to go for the CRIPPLED Philips TV. Shame on you Philips.
P.S. Unclear video support and no flash player support in the internet browser are ridiculous and shameful btw!

Toengel
09-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Hi,

Philips, can you please update the list to support the 2011 TV sets?

Toengel@Alex

snorbury
09-20-2011, 08:59 PM
This is outrageous! The lack of subtitle support for videos played from my WD Passport HDD has made my new shiny expensive TV a useless piece of Philips cr.p! I wish I stayed with only a Philips vacuum cleaner and iron (both of which I paid some premium money for)! If only I knew this I would NEVER HAVE BOUGHT this junk. And I now learn that so many customers already complained about this failure of Philips "engineers" but NO REACTION from them at all. I am gonna make everybody I know and on internet forums aware that Philips is simply a bad company that does not listen to its customers. I wish I went for the cheaper Samsung D6530 that offered so much more, but no, I had to go for the CRIPPLED Philips TV. Shame on you Philips.
P.S. Unclear video support and no flash player support in the internet browser are ridiculous and shameful btw!

+1 agreed!!!:mad:

jesmondb
09-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Yes, please. Update list for 2011 models (46pfl6606h/12)

Thanks

SB11
09-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Please add the subtitle support for *.srt. It's unbelievable my 7695 doesn't support subtitles in 2011!

ksm
09-30-2011, 12:15 PM
+1 agreed!!!:mad:

+10 agreed!!!!!!!! Last Philips TV I bought.

bugmenot
10-01-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm glad I found this topic among others that state no subtitle support is found in Philips TV's. I was about to buy a new 42" TV and Philips looked like my choice but now I will look elsewhere because without subtitles I have no use for the USB support.

exitido
10-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Good choice, recently i sell my philips tv and buyed a samsung tv with a better media center and the best smarttv of the market

Eva
10-17-2011, 05:53 PM
I would be happy to see .srt supported as well (32PFL7605). Is it that difficult to implement this?

And I agree with Ahasver. A .pdf file instead of .xls with the codecs would seem to be more logic to me. :-)

mimschi
11-02-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks Philips for having posted the codecs supported by 2010 TVs.
Where can I find the same overview for 2011 TVs?
Thx a lot

Toengel
11-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Hi,

I read that the list of supported codecs of 2010 TVs also correspond to the 2011 series...

Toengel@Alex

Bows
11-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Hello,

@Philips: Please confirm list of codecs for TV sets from 2011.

In general TVs from 2010 seems to fulfill DVB-T requirements related to supported audio: MP2, MP3, AC3, ACC and HE-AAC v2

However it is a little bit stressfull situation because some stations in Europe starts to experiment with codec E-AC3 (eg. Poland, Slovenia, France).

My question is: Do you consider the possibility of SW update for TVs from 2011 (eg. X5606H/58) which would contain such codec even for stereo output only?

Regards
Bows

Azumi
11-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Where are the XviD Profiles here in this Codec Sheet the BDP 3200 Blu Ray Player supports as readable in the BDP 3200 Facts Sheet?

Anyone who has complaints is unable to get any support because you missed adding those supported "Versions".

Toengel
04-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Hi,

@Philips

I need some information which are missing in the PDF file.

2011 BDP and AVM:
- H.264/AVC supports HP@4.1/4.0 and MP@3.2/3.1/3.0
2010 BDP and AVM:
- H.264/AVC supports HP@4.1/4.0 and MP@3.2/3.1/3.0

However, I'm missing
- the profile information for 2010 TVs
- the complete table for 2011 TVs

Can you please update the files in the first post?

Toengel@Alex