PDA

View Full Version : PFL7606 HDMI issues

JoostK
02-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Hello all,

I'm experiencing severe issues with HDMI connections on my 42PFL7606H1/2 in combination with an Onkyo TX-NR515 AVR receiver and a RaspberryPi running XBMC which is connected to AUX on the AVR.

The problems began yesterday. This is going to be a long post as I've already done much testing and made a lot of observations, I really already tried lots of possible solutions, in order:

1. Try other HDMI input on TV
2. Try secondary HDMI output on AVR
3. Update TV firmware from 101 to 104 (AVR is already using latest firmware)
4. Reset to factory defaults of Onkyo AVR
5. Soft reset by leaving both the TV and AVR unplugged from the mains (for 15 hours)
6. Connecting AVR to Samsung TV. Works without problems.
7. Reset to factory defaults of Philips TV

I was expecting step 6 to fail, but it didn't, so it isn't the AVR itself. As a last resort I reset the TV which I expected to resolve at least some peculiarities, but you guessed it, no improvements at all.

What does work

- Easylink remote (changing of volume)
- Video input from RPi through AVR

What doesn't work

1. ARC
2. Some video input from AVR (not even blue "No source" video from AVR, or NET view, or setup view. Only if RPi is active source then setup/OSD's are visible)
3. Recognizing of HDMI connected devices

1. ARC

Everything is setup correctly, I checked and tried and checked again but no luck. The TV does correctly detect the AVR and disables its internal speakers. The AVR does not however pick up any audio. When I go to Easylink settings and enable the TV speaker, I have sound and the AVR displays "TV speakers" and mutes. When I go back to Easylink or unmute the AVR, it displays "AMP speakers" (so recognizes a switch) but no sound. Also, no ARC icon is displayed on the OSD.

Note: I tried with an S/PDIF cable from Optical audio out on TV to Optical 1 on the AVR, that does work. It really is HDMI which is nagging me.

2. Video input
Only if the active source on the AVR is my RPi, I get the image and also the OSD's/menu's on top of it. When I switch to any other source, I expect a blue screen (for no input on AVR) but the TV says there is no input. Even the NET functionality doesn't give any image. Because of this I really thought the AVR is faulty (I've had problems before (http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/1708568-onkyo-nr515-rpi-no-hdmi-output.html)) so that was the reason to hook up the AVR to a Samsung TV. Everything worked flawlessly, even the problem described in above link was not present.

3. Recognizing of HDMI connected devices
XBMC was always nicely recognized in the home screen of the TV. Now, it is recognized twice (!) and when I hover over it it shows "undefined", which normally would be "HDMI1" (the connected port). Clicking it doesn't do anything. Now comes the funny/weird part: I first delete one device from the home screen, which cause the second one to also be deleted, then connect the RPi directly to HDMI Side (AVR no longer involved) and then rebooting the RPi will add the device back to the home screen, once this time. However, when I hover over it it says: "HDMI1", that's my AVR, which I just circumvented. So clicking it indeed switches to HDMI1 and there is no source available, obviously. Thus I unplug the RPi from HDMI Side back into AVR AUX, and there you go, the remote control successfully controls XBMC, like it always has until recently.

I expected this to be solved by a factory reset, but still the very same problem.

Wrapping Up
The ARC and recognition of devices is probably a software bug. The "No input" problem however and also the problems I have as explained in the previously linked thread (http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/1708568-onkyo-nr515-rpi-no-hdmi-output.html) appear like a faulty HDMI board or something. I first blamed the AVR but now that I've seen it working flawlessly on a Samsung TV, I'm accusing my TV instead.

Thanks for reading if you've come this far.

doener
02-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi, i have the same TV, and Nearly the same setup (i have a panassonic Soundbar instead of a AVR)
RPi -> Soundbar (HTS) -> TV
I think, the most problems are related to the Raspberry Pi and the libcec it uses. There where (are) many bugs related to Philips TVs and AVRs, like sending multiple active sources.
Here you can find more informations (https://github.com/Pulse-Eight/libcec/issues?sort=created&state=open) just look thru the open and closed issues.

I would try it for "now" without the RPi to get at least the sound from the TV.

And please tell us if you have also the sound drops on DTS channels on your AVR over HDMI ARC and SPIF

JoostK
02-23-2013, 09:53 PM
I know that the LibCEC library isn't without its own bugs, I have been through that list before (I'm a Computer Science student so know pretty well what's going on there). It is however hard to find out the exact cause of the problem, but every test points that the failure is with the TV.

I also have the DTS sound drops, both through ARC (well, before it was broken) and S/PDIF. More so with Dutch national channels than e.g. National Geographic HD, but also present on DTS content streamed through DLNA.

Last thursday I contacted Philips through chat support and the girl who helped me gave up on my problems quite soon, luckily. I was told to be contacted within 5 days and one hour later, they called already. They had read this thread and came to the conclusion that I had already done everything to investigate/resolve the issue, so they asked me if it was okay for a mechanic to take a look at it. Yesterday (friday) I was called again to make an appointment, for coming tuesday. Excellent service regarding how this went.

Will keep you posted about what they'll say in a couple of days.

JoostK
02-28-2013, 10:08 PM
Last tuesday a mechanic came by. He first told me that it's probably a compatibility issue between the AVR and TV and there was nothing to do about it. He did however try ARC with his own AVR (Sony) and luckily for me, that didn't work either.

He had never seen issues with HDMI where only ARC stopped working. I admit it is very strange. Because of the fact that ARC didn't work for him either, he decided to take the TV to the labs (only 20km away from where I live) to performs some tests. I got a replacement 37PFL9604H, fine temporary replacement.

Yesterday (wednesday, only one day later) they called that they replaced the logic board as precautionary measure. I asked them if they were able to replicate the ARC issues but they denied. We made an appointment to deliver the TV this morning.

Everything works flawlessly again. I'm very pleased with the outcome and service in general, when I contacted support through chat only 7 days ago, I didn't expect to be helped this quickly.

I have a feeling that they didn't believe me that something was broken, in none of the communication they agreed with me on this point. I'm glad that the replacement of the logic board fixes all issues, reassuring me that the TV was indeed the problem and that there really was something broken.

Now lets hope this won't happen again. Then it will probably be out of warranty (ca. 18 months old now) and I won't pay for a new logic board then.

doener
02-28-2013, 10:30 PM
Last tuesday a mechanic came by. He first told me that it's probably a compatibility issue between the AVR and TV and there was nothing to do about it. He did however try ARC with his own AVR (Sony) and luckily for me, that didn't work either.

He had never seen issues with HDMI where only ARC stopped working. I admit it is very strange. Because of the fact that ARC didn't work for him either, he decided to take the TV to the labs (only 20km away from where I live) to performs some tests. I got a replacement 37PFL9604H, fine temporary replacement.

Yesterday (wednesday, only one day later) they called that they replaced the logic board as precautionary measure. I asked them if they were able to replicate the ARC issues but they denied. We made an appointment to deliver the TV this morning.

Everything works flawlessly again. I'm very pleased with the outcome and service in general, when I contacted support through chat only 7 days ago, I didn't expect to be helped this quickly.

I have a feeling that they didn't believe me that something was broken, in none of the communication they agreed with me on this point. I'm glad that the replacement of the logic board fixes all issues, reassuring me that the TV was indeed the problem and that there really was something broken.

Now lets hope this won't happen again. Then it will probably be out of warranty (ca. 18 months old now) and I won't pay for a new logic board then.

Thanks allot, know I know that I should also go for a replacement of the logic board.

doener
03-04-2013, 05:17 PM
damm philips! how can you SUCK THAT MUCH? Just tried again to contact them by chat. I wrote as the message already all informations about my TV version of FW and Standby FW and the issue. and I asked if a replacement of the logic board could be done at my place. They closed the chat direkt after establishment.

Now im banned again! no chat is free try again later. I event don't know why. What a good service! Thanks for continuing to make me feel really bad whith my decision to buy a philips!

I know that this message will be directly deleted! And thats why philips sucks even more! I'm alone in the dark with a highly expensiv (55 Inch) TV which dosent like to communicate propperly with my HTS, Raspberry and PS3.