PDA

View Full Version : Home screen not displaying Settings Recorder Folder View

Plado
02-10-2013, 01:05 PM
I've been trying to help an elderly friend who has bought the same model SA3 Mp3 player.
Over the phone it's very difficult to direct someone but so far I have established she has no proper Home Screen.
It has the two musical notes and Music heading but scrolling down doesn't take it to Recordings Folder View Settings Last Played. It has a different set of headings concerned with items like All Songs.

Is this a fault? She has done the Firmware and Software updates using the Philips Device Manager.
When viewing the folders on her Windows 7 Explorer it doesn't show the same folders as mine, though it has FAQ and fscommand and Manual and Installer and Music but no DATA

I have tried all ways to get it to navigate to the Settings but there seems no way to get to it.

Does anyone know if this is a faulty item (just purchased) or whether there is something else that has to be done to make it display the way other examples of the same model do?

Thanks I hope you can answer this for me as it's taken over an hour on the phone to sort it all to no avail.
--
Plado

lucas1970
02-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Hi there cand you give the exact modelnumber please

Plado
02-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi there can you give the exact model number please

Thank you for responding lucas1970. I think I need to go back and cancel this request because the problem has been solved. I'd best explain if you'll bear with me a moment.

The old lady sent me the Mp3 player in the post and I fired it up immediately to inspect the situation. It was working perfectly and there was no issue with menus at all. Philips were not at fault it seems, though I could criticize the instructions and the interface because the old lady was pressing the outer rim of the central silver button expecting it to 'rock" in 4 positions like all other "joy-stick" controls on phones, cameras and audio remote-controls. It wasn't clear to her or to me when talking to her on the phone that she was unaware that the North South East West buttons of the joy-stick are actually square areas of the front surface of the Player each having a very faintly painted dot where you are meant to press.

I too nearly made this mistake with my own Philips SA3 but luckily I realized the button is actually the front surface of the device. I consider that a very user unfriendly way of designing an audio device. The silver button should by rights be bigger and be rock-able like all other micro devices. I told the lady that it wasn't entirely her fault and she can blame Philips for thinking far too far 'outside the box' when attempting to make the device user-friendly and intuitive in use.

I'm not 'having a go' at Philips here by the way as I think the Player is remarkably good and very flexible. But as usual the user instructions are always the weakest link in everything we buy from Flat Pack Furniture to Breadmakers!

Thanks for your attempt to help me I appreciate it muchly. I'll go now and see if I can cancel this question.
Regards
--
Plado