PDA

View Full Version : What have you fed your Blu-ray player with recently? Share your movie experience

Philips
02-27-2011, 11:24 AM
What have you fed your Blu-ray player with recently? Share your movie experience

kath
03-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Heard from my frd yesterday saying the 3D experience of some cartoons are actually stunning. (he s talking about Despicable Me) I m interested after his "promotion". :) Anyone tried Philips 3D bluray player before? Do you need to buy any accessories along with that (like glasses)?

kath
03-02-2011, 02:06 AM
btw, i know i hv to buy a 3D TV first :P

Toengel
03-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Hi,

you need TV specific 3D glasses (shutter technique) and the transmitter between the TV and the glasses (one Philips model has the transmitter already integrated) - at the moment you can't be sure that the glasses from company 1 works on TVs from company 2. And of course you need a 3D Blu-ray Player AND Blu-ray 3Ds...

Toengel@Alex

kath
03-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks Toengel for your detail explanation on the required equipment for 3D.:cool:
But still would like to hear more stories from other 3D users to see if the 3D thing really works ( have to buy quite a lot of equipments...big investment...phew:rolleyes:)

have you tried yourself?

Toengel
03-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Hi,

at the moment there are to few Blu-ray 3D movies available - and the best one (from technical point of view) Avatar 3D is not available in retail stores - only in bundle with samsung hardware (till 2012).

Toengel@Alex

wallyc1105
05-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Kath,

I have been experimenting with software (Mondavi) to convert 2D to 3D and using Anaglyph glasses - Red/Cyan and not costing much. I have a BDP5100 Blu-Ray player and a 2 year old Philips LCD Monitor. Quailty is good to poor ... but, it didn't cost me $$$$$ to play the movies/TV shows> for the larger files I transfer them to a USB drive formated to NTFS so it will play the larger files Fat32 will not. I wear prescription glasses, so I must wear 2 sets of glasses. I'm waiting for players that will do the conversion on the fly, but by the time I could afford it - there will be TVs that will play w/o glasses. So, for now I do my own conversions .....

wallyc1105

kath
05-18-2011, 05:26 AM
Hi wallyc1105,

Don't know about this amazing technology :) sounds real so nice! worth giving it a try!

Paulo Roberto Elias
06-09-2011, 01:57 PM
You guys should try "Baraka", if you haven't done so.

It comes from a 65 mm Todd-AO negative telecined at 8K resolution. Sound is DTS HD-MA @ 96 kHz/24 bits resolution.

The movie could easily be a reference in all regards. It is a beautiful 1:30 running time documentary, showing different aspects of 25 countries' cultural habits. The filmmakers manufactured their own 65 mm camera, including a time lapse feature, which builds up to some of the most stunning shots that I've ever seen.

The soundtrack and music score encompass a massive dynamic range and sound clarity, thus making the visual experience even more exciting.

Links to reviews and screen captures:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews42/baraka_blu-ray.htm

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Baraka-Blu-ray/1055/#Review

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1659/baraka.html