PDA

View Full Version : Philips customers deserve a good media-player in TVs

mshock
03-13-2011, 04:29 PM
Just a few small software modifications of the built-in media-player will make happy thousands of Philips TV customers, that play MKV video files from USB drive:
* choosing of an audio stream (to swithch to the needed or supported one);
* selecting the chapters of the video (to avoid using the poor rewinding);
* support of subtitles (we are from diffrent countries, you know);

All these features are present in the media-players of the Philips BD-players, so the code is known to the Philips programmers and porting of it will not be difficult.

Freddo
03-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Agreed, especially with point 1 and 3. Support for subtitles is very important.

Support for more codecs would be nice too. For example, some MKV files use Ogg Vorbis for audio.

Eugène
03-13-2011, 06:14 PM
Agreed to.

dellamag
03-13-2011, 06:19 PM
I agree too, but I would add 24fps support capability (playback without freezes)

kralizeck
03-14-2011, 08:25 AM
I agree, and add fast forward/rewind and go to a time.
All these features with usb and dlna reproduction.

Waspy
03-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Hi mshock,

the porting of the code is not the real problem.
A BD-player is an embedding system and Philips must pay license fees for the codecs for each BD.
The TV is running on a Linux derivate and Philips use most of GNU parts of codecs to bypass the license fees.
But these "PublicDomain" codecs are not so powerful as the paid versions...
Have a look about the 450 MB ZIP archive
e.g. http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl7655h_12/42pfl7655h_12_osf_eng.zip

Yes, you are right if you mention, you paid a lot for your TV....
And it's the same shame as the killed Now&Next feature.
have a look at: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?816-Please-add-a-now-next-feature-in-TV-mode&p=1828&viewfull=1#post1828

best regards
Waspy

nemesis53
03-15-2011, 06:27 PM
I think Philips tvs have limited hardware(Not like samsng). They barely running tvs own software on it so there is no extra place to write on the flash.

meeeder
03-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Hi mshock,

the porting of the code is not the real problem.
A BD-player is an embedding system and Philips must pay license fees for the codecs for each BD.
The TV is running on a Linux derivate and Philips use most of GNU parts of codecs to bypass the license fees.
But these "PublicDomain" codecs are not so powerful as the paid versions...
Have a look about the 450 MB ZIP archive
e.g. http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl7655h_12/42pfl7655h_12_osf_eng.zip

Yes, you are right if you mention, you paid a lot for your TV....
And it's the same shame as the killed Now&Next feature.
have a look at: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?816-Please-add-a-now-next-feature-in-TV-mode&p=1828&viewfull=1#post1828

best regards
Waspy

Your comment on open source codecs being less powerfull is complete nonesense.

neppie
05-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Your comment on open source codecs being less powerfull is complete nonesense.

I totally agree! All the codecs I install on my computer are open source and they have never ever let me down.
You just need to know which codecs you need to install ;)

I was very very disappointed with the media player on my Philips television. It just doesn't work right. I still use my Western Digital media player. It never has let me down. My television has. It often doesn't play my movies and if it does, it isn't playing right. And well, no subtitle support ... who was sleeping?

And I saw someone mentioning the now/next feature? That is the biggest disappointment of this television. What were they thinking. It is disrespect to the buyers (imo).

I do want to say though that I'm still satisfied with my television and will buy Philips again but ... I would have bought a cheaper model without the mediaplayer, NetTv, etc. These features sound great but are less great in reality. It is too bad my notebook doesn't have a remote control. The best mediaplayer I have used in the past was XBMC, on my computer :D

Shurakai
05-30-2011, 09:09 AM
I guess you don't own a Philips BDP, otherwise you would not wish that the features of the BDP would be implemented to the TVs. Just read the BDP subforum and you know what I mean. Philips utterly fails with it's avi and mkv support on these devices. Most of them are not able to play avis or mkvs for more than 10 minutes before they freeze completely. And this problem persists since several months.
As a owner of a Philips TV and a Philips BDP and can only say one thing: LEAVE THE TV as it is. I don't want to have a malfunctioning TV as well. The shitty BDP already causing enough anger. And i'm just happy to be able to play avis and mkvs on my TV without freezes.

ClaudioCas
06-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Agree with all your request! With a few of small changes the internal media player will be really complete. The media player of bd player is really full of feature compare to the tv.

globetrotter
06-02-2011, 09:47 AM
I also miss the subtitle when playing a mkv file.

tolgaakcan
06-07-2011, 02:37 PM
When you go to a shop. They ask you whether you care about mediaplayer with subtitle support. If answer is yes they teka to to a Samsung.
So Philips has to find a remedy for that. That is not acceptable. paying over 2.000 € and not having proper mkv support and subtitle.. I would expect more that that. we don't deserve that.

pistoiaa
06-07-2011, 03:25 PM
The thing that makes me really angry is the total lack of a Philips' answer on this point...
Philips, come on, is it so difficult to explain why you decided not to provide a good media-player with your TVs? Is it so difficult to justify your choices?

tolgaakcan
06-07-2011, 03:55 PM
It all comes down to money. Good medya player needs good software which costs money. Needs proper codecs costs extra. Good media player takes more investment not so much of a decision.

pistoiaa
06-07-2011, 04:54 PM
It all comes down to money...

Ok, this is your opinion, but, as I already said, I would like to receive an answer from Philips...

Adamo
06-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Ok, this is your opinion, but, as I already said, I would like to receive an answer from Philips...

Hi pistoiaa,

please follow this link and read post #28: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?903-2011-wishlist/page3

Adamo

Erikrijnders
06-07-2011, 08:22 PM
I think we deserve support.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

carlosfm
06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
What Philips says there about the encription is true.
My cable provider has cable boxes with recording, to an internal hard disk.
Although the cable box has usb and network ports, they are disabled.
There is no way you can get your recordings out of the damn box.
If you have a problem with the box, they change it for another one and you loose all your recordings.

There are content protections that serious hardware and service providers must comply to.
No name China made stuff, that's another story. They don't even pay the licenses for the protected technology they use (Dolby Digital, etc...).

meeeder
06-08-2011, 06:47 AM
It is true that the content providers are trying to enforce the CI+ standard which give the providers complete control over YOUR TV/PVR. They want to decide if you can skip commercials during playback of a recording and they can even enforce you to keep watching the same channel during a commercial break so you can't switch to another channel.
The best thing would be that all the large hardware manufacturers like Philips would give the providers the finger... If no one follows the requests of the providers then they have no way to enforce it either.

carlosfm
06-08-2011, 09:02 AM
They want to decide if you can skip commercials during playback of a recording and they can even enforce you to keep watching the same channel during a commercial break so you can't switch to another channel.

That doesn't seem legal to me.
Nobody can make you see what you don't want to.

The best thing would be that all the large hardware manufacturers like Philips would give the providers the finger...

;)

pistoiaa
06-08-2011, 09:35 AM
please follow this link and read post #28: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?903-2011-wishlist/page3

Thank you Adamo,
but again, that post does not answer my questions above.
And again, I would like to receive a direct answer from Philips. I am a loyal Philips' customer and these problems did not (yet?) make change my positive opinion about their products and assistance, but my delusion is great when I do not receive a feedback from them...

Franck78
06-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Hello,

That doesn't seem legal to me.

carefully read what you accepted and agreed with when checked the numerous "I have read and I agree" box before installing this, buying that.
Manufacturers, content providers, internet providers fuck us all everyday. And it is going worse every day. Just search terms like acta, hdcp, hadopi (for french), dmca. Next big step is VeriChip.

Joke VeriChip => Very Sheep ;-)

yanayz
06-25-2011, 07:56 AM
the current level of support for MKV, AVI formats is lame, and should urgently be addressed.
It's impossible to enjoy your premium TVs without it.

some files won't open at all, while others don't respond to Pause/FW, etc. Lame!
Also - no subtitles support? come on...!

Please release better firmware!

soprano
08-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Hi guys,

I just bought the 32PFL6606H/12 LED TV and I am extremely disappointed with the internal media player. I would rather have no media player than the monstrosity they've implemented at the moment. You can't even resume or fast forward/rewind in adjustable speeds, nor can you select a specific time to navigate to. Don't get me started with audio and subtitle tracks, which you simply cannot select!

Dear Philips engineers, can you please include DTS as supported audio format, since all mkv files with DTS audio tracks do not work. Even the cheaper Samsung TVs support DTS these days.

Once again, I'm begging you. Please improve the internal media player with decent navigation options such as resume, ff/rw, seek time etc.. Please include the DTS audio format.

Kind regards