PDA

View Full Version : BDP9700 Latest Firmware upgrade (3.80) has been released

Gerhard
04-28-2013, 12:01 PM
Since a couple of days a new firmware update is available (only via internal network update):

Firmware Version 3.80
----------------------------

Release notes (preliminary):

Correct greenish display when HDMI cable is plug in after unit wakes-up (or under CEC wake-up, TV dependent).
Improve SACD playback

output PCM instead of DSD, Multi-channel SACD is outputted as 2 channel PCM on HDMI2 which connect to an AMP
hybrid disc may cause hang-up intermittently.

Fix red color button menu overlapping issue of Smart TV
Fix Youtube intermittent hang-up issue after long hours of playback
Improve compatibility with receivers

Direct link to the firmware (don't forget to select your language):
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=BDP9700/98&hlt=Link_Software&mid=Link_Software&scy=SG&slg=ENG

The update does not update the MCU unit (if you update from 3.76). Just for completeness check the version:

- remove any disc
- press HOME
- press 8-5-2-0
- take a look at MCU: it should be 0x19 (since update to 3.76).

Please don't hesitate to report any issues. Useful are information about your setup, disc information and steps how to reproduce a potential problem. Report issues wrt to firmware 3.80 here:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?12100-BDP9700-Latest-Firmware-upgrade-(3-80)-has-been-released

Cheers,
Gerhard

Gerhard
04-28-2013, 12:03 PM
Let's use the list for the 3.76 to track the improvements and add new issues to here. Any input is welcome.

Blu-ray

1080p/24 issue - although the player is set to 1080p/24 it claims to play in 1080p mode (press "OK" button while watching the main film)
--> "OK" button does not work for me, but the TV set always says "1080p", so the issue still seems to exist
When using a single HDMI connection (HDMI Main, set to bitsream) to the AV amplifier (here Pioneer SC-LX82) and playing a Blu Ray disc, the DTSHD bitstream is sent and detected correctly by the AV amplifier. After switching to DolbyHD, there's no more sound.
--> still an issue in 3.80

SACD playback

Scenario 1: HDMI centric high quality SACD playback according to manual
Connections: HDMI AVR to AVR, HDMI Main to Digital TV set.
Audio Settings BDP9700: HDMI AVR: Bitstream, HDMI Main: Off
Result: No six channel DSD bitstream fed into AVR. Instead PCM at 88Khz mch. Analog audio not high quality R(Probably a PCM derived signal, too many conversions).
Video: Video available through TV set channel.
--> fixed in 3.80
Scenario 2: AVR only, AVR connected to TV set via monitor out
Connections: HDMI AVR to AVR, HDMI Main to AVR, Analog 7.1 to AVR.
Audio Settings BDP9700: HDMI AVR: Bitstream, HDMI Main: Off
Result: 6 channel (or 5 since most SACDís are 5.0) DSD bitstream and /or DSD direct analog sound available in very high quality.
Video : Not available without interrupting the DSD stream.
Willem?
Scenario 3: Analog centric to external HDMI TV set (for AVRís without HDMI input)
Connections: HDMI AVR not connected, HDMI Main to digital TV, Analog 7.1 to AVR.
Audio Settings BDP9700: HDMI AVR:Bitstream, HDMI Main: Off
Result: 6 channel (or 5 since most SACDís are 5.0) analog sound available in moderate quality. Most likely a PCM derived signal.
Video (for selection of tracks and progress of the player) available through TV
Willem?
SACD audio selection (DSD stereo vs. DSD multi-channel) is not possible. Think about adding such a feature to be selectable using the "audio" button on the remote control.
Still not possible.
While hearing a Police SACD, at the last track, the playback suddenly started to interrupt infrequently. Replacing the disc with a Dire Straits SACD does not help. Here already the trouble began with the first track: Sound drops! Power cycling helped to solve this issue!
--> New issue

Note: It looks like as if the BDP9700 takes feedback from the HDMI main connection to decide whether to go DSD direct or convert to PCM. In addition when you switch off the TV set the 9700 stops playing no matter if you have connected any of the HDMI outputs or just the analog cable set. (See also below "HDMI CEC/Easy-Link issues").--> seems to be fixed in 3.80

CD/SACD playback

HDMI CEC/Easy-Link issues:
Starting to play SACD/Audio CD, forces TV to switch on via HDMI CEC-command and forces BDP9700 to standby when shutting down TV.--> no issue, can be controlled by Easy-Link settings in the menu.

At least even when EASY-Link is set to OFF, some issues remain:

Switching the TV on does not stop the CD/SACD playback, but interrupts the sound several times
Switching the TV off during playback causes a short playback interrupt

No more reset of playback, but still sound interrupts

General issues/Room for improvement

USB 3.0 issue: There seems to be problems, mounting USB3.0 HDD, even with external power supply. (Type and manufacturer currently unknown)
The screen displayed during playback of SACD, CDDA, USB and DNLA should contain information what kind of decoding/Bitrate is active. (Similar to Marantz and Sony s590) Examples:

SACD will show: DSD
CDDA will show: 1.4kbps
Streaming sources might show: 1.4-9.2kbps

Increase overall responsiveness to user interactions via remote or when pushing the device buttons.
Make the player usable without TV attached (for CD/SACD).
When skipping tracks, display current selected track and number of overall tracks - do not show always "PLAY" or "BROWSER" this is not useful
Add support of streaming FLAC via DLNA. The BDP9700 is able to produce high quality sound. As FLAC is the only lossless format supported by this player, it is a waste of its nice 192/24 DAC and DLNA capability if it cannot receive FLAC stream.
Properly sort music file in USB drive(e.g sort by file name or track tag embedded in music file). It seems 9700 list file in the order of physical file location on USB drive (i.e. "ls -f", if you are familiar with LINUX command).

I will edit this section regularly and hopefully Philips will try to improve things or at least fix obvious bugs.
BTW: Any sort of feedback from one of the Philips mods is highly appreciated.

- Gerhard

Philips - QK
04-29-2013, 06:31 AM
Dear Gerhard,

We are still investigating the release of firmware 3.80 as this should be ready together with the Support Website firmware. Right now, the P4C firmware is still not yet ready.

As for the release note of the version 3.80, you can refer to the below benefits for the moment. We will have a more official one to be uploaded to our Support page:

1. Correct greenish display when HDMI cable is plug in after unit wakes-up (or under CEC wake-up, TV dependent).
2. Improve SACD aplayback
– output PCM instead of DSD, Multi-channel SACD is outputted as 2 channel PCM on HDMI2 which connect to an AMP – hybrid disc may cause hang-up intermittently.
4. Fix red color button menu overlapping issue of Smart TV
5. Fix Youtube intermittent hang-up issue after long hours of playback
6. Improve compatibility with receivers

Thanks a lot for your patience whilst we are investigating this.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Gerhard
04-29-2013, 06:42 AM
Dear Mod-Team,

[...]
As for the release note of the version 3.80, you can refer to the below benefits for the moment.[...]
your feedback is highly appreciated and to me it seems that you guys made some efforts on these issues. Thanks so far. I've updated the release note entries above.

Regards,
Gerhard

ktl
04-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Hi to all bdp9700 owners,

I'm planning on buying a bdp9700 as I like its hardware design. I'm only planning to connect an analog tv to its composite
tv output and an amplifier to its stereo L/R outputs. If I'm using the player to play sacd or cd, is it possible to get stereo output? And will I get DSD and/or PCM derived stereo sound? Will I miss any low frequency sound like the 9600?

And anyone knows what are the differences among 9700/12, 9700/93 and 9700/98? Are these circuit borard revisions as I'd
noticed on display units in some shops there's jumper on the circuit board while others there's none?

Philips - QK
04-30-2013, 02:41 AM
Dear all,

Since for the v3.80 firmware release, we have several threads opened discussing the same/similar matters. I would propose to centralize the discussion here in this thread:

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?12100-BDP9700-Latest-Firmware-upgrade-(3-80)-has-been-released

The firmware v3.80 has been uploaded to the support site today. However, it may take 1-2 days to be reflected.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Gerhard
04-30-2013, 06:38 AM
No problem with that. I just wanted to make sure that the open issues on a per firmware release basis are somehow recorded and hopefully addressed by Philips.
The question is: Should I add the list of open issues again or will you point to the list above?

Cheers,
Gerhard

Philips - QK
04-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Dear Gerhard,

I can refer to your above list for the issue compilation. Just in case you have any other inputs, kindly refer to the new thread:

Thanks a lot for your attention.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Gerhard
04-30-2013, 07:01 AM
Referring to the issues makes perfectly sense, so yes please refer to it.
Thank you,
Gerhard