PDA

View Full Version : BDP9700 Latest Firmware upgrade (3.80) has been released

Philips - QK
04-30-2013, 02:37 AM
3.80 is only released to BDP9700/12, /98 and /93.

v3.80 offers the following benefits:

Fixes the following issues:

Greenish picture observed at certain operations.
SACD DSD is outputted as 2CH PCM on HDMI2.
SACD hybrid disc hangs up intermittently.
Improved compatibility with AV receivers.
Red color menu overlaps Euronews page in SmartTV.

Kindly download the software at www.philips.com/support. This will reflect 1-2 days on the support website.

History

22-Feb 2013 Upgrade SW to 3.71.01
29-Mar 2013 Upgrade SW to 3.76
29-Apr 2013 Upgrade SW to 3.80

Toengel
05-02-2013, 06:52 AM
Hi,

I'm wondering: The USB file for 3.80 firmware contains only a UPG folder - in the past there was a UPG_ALL folder. I know, one need the UPG_ALL for updating also the MCU part of the firmware. So what's happening if I update a BDP with e.g. firmware 3.65.10 with MCU0x15 directly to 3.80 via USB? Then it seems, that the MCU isn't updated...

However, if I update via ECD (online update) directly to 3.80, the MCU is updated (on can see three parts: Software BE, Software FE and MCU).

Can someone clarify this?

Toengel@Alex

Philips - QK
05-10-2013, 02:37 AM
Hi Toengel,

We aware of your question and we are now checking with the platform team. Will come back to you on this.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Philips - QK
05-10-2013, 03:13 AM
Dear Alex,

I have sent you a PM. Kindly check your inbox for more details.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Philips - QK
05-10-2013, 03:19 AM
Hi BDP9700 users,

I would like to see anyone has this stripe subtitle problem when playing DVDs:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?12255-BDP9700-dvd-subtitles-stripes&goto=newpost

Kindly let us know :)

Thanks & regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Gerhard
05-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Hi QK,

do you have any information about a planned update? The most annoying thing to me is the issue with the SACD playback, which at a certain point starts to produce sound drops. Other issues are mentioned in my list.

TIA,
Gerhard

Philips - QK
05-13-2013, 08:23 AM
Dear Gerhard,

For the SACD playback issue, we can reproduce your issue and is now working on this. At the moment I do not have the timeline when it can be fixed yet. But I will indeed let you know if we have more concrete info from the team.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Philips - QK
05-16-2013, 03:37 PM
Dear Gerhard,

Sorry that I may have misled you.
The SACD playback issue I mentioned above is the multichannel and stereo switching issue. As for the dropout issue, we cannot reproduce it at the moment. If you have more info to share with us, that will be a lot appreciated.

Thanks for your understanding in advance!

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

hardsoft
05-16-2013, 07:01 PM
AT least in my BDP9700 seems to reset automatic subtitle positioning to picture area (PFL-9956T 21:9 TV). I switch it on, check it and it's on, watch movie, shut down device - next day - start device and the property is swiched off... :(

Gerhard
05-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Hi QK,

[...]
The SACD playback issue I mentioned above is the multichannel and stereo switching issue. As for the dropout issue, we cannot reproduce it at the moment. If you have more info to share with us, that will be a lot appreciated. [...]

in fact I have two reports:

The first from myself. I heard the SACD "Every Breath You Take" (http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/702) from The Police and everything seems to work as expected and at the last track, I got sound drops. First I thought that this is a disc problem, but it was not. I inserted "Brothers In Arms" (http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/3052) and the first track there began to produce dropouts. After power cycling the Dire Straits disc works.

Another report shows the same problem with another disc (Depeche Mode - 101). The user says that right after track 3 he got dropouts and the player seems to hang after a while.

Hope this helps.
Gerhard

Levinas
05-19-2013, 11:58 AM
I get purple screen when turining the player on. The only soulution is to remove the power cord. Anyone else experiencing this?

Rin
05-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Yep, had similar here. Also: sometimes when I just turned off the player and after I heard the solenoids click off and the on/off button on the front is shining red, then the player still sends a full green image to the TV, or sometimes vertical or diagonal stripe patterns. While the player is off, no kidding! Have to unplug it to get back to normal... I don't worry about it too much, it'll get fixed one day, right? :p

Philips - QK
05-20-2013, 05:05 AM
Hi Gerhard,

Yes, I have reported this issue before based on your previous report:
'While hearing a Police SACD, at the last track, the playback suddenly started to interrupt infrequently. Replacing the disc with a Dire Straits SACD does not help. Here already the trouble began with the first track: Sound drops! Power cycling helped to solve this issue!'

However, we cannot reproduce this issues. Will try to see if we can reproduce this from another BDP9700 device.

With thanks & regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Philips - QK
05-20-2013, 05:09 AM
Dear Levinas,

Kindly advise if you have already the 3.80 firmware.
We have another user reported with 3.80 firmware, he still has his screen is in purple colour when connected to the TV via DVI adapter. Would you please advise if you are connecting the same way?

Dear Rin,

For your issue reported - green screen/ sometimes vertical or diagonal stripe pattern, may I know if this is still seen in 3.80 firmware? You able to give me more info on pre-condition/ wire connection/ possible steps to reproduce etc?

With thanks and regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Levinas
05-20-2013, 07:25 AM
Dear Levinas,

Kindly advise if you have already the 3.80 firmware.
We have another user reported with 3.80 firmware, he still has his screen is in purple colour when connected to the TV via DVI adapter. Would you please advise if you are connecting the same way?

Dear Rin,

For your issue reported - green screen/ sometimes vertical or diagonal stripe pattern, may I know if this is still seen in 3.80 firmware? You able to give me more info on pre-condition/ wire connection/ possible steps to reproduce etc?

With thanks and regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Yes, I have the 3.80 firmware.
Connected to an Epson projector by HDMI.

The problem happens now and then. Perhaps after the player has been out of use for some days?

have a nice day! :)

kvic
05-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Hi

Tonight is my first time seeing a purple colour on power up. No way to gracefully return it back to normal. i recall before this happens last time when I power down/standy, I see vertical/diagonal strips.

It's not an coincidence. The end of the strips indicates the beginning of full purple screen. It really says that the chips in 9700 (the chips are very complicated these days) are programmed into unknown states. Hence, incomprehensible colour/pattern.

To workaround my purple screen, I unplug 9700's power supply. Wait for 5 minutes and connect back power supply. Bingo! 9700 returns display back to normal. It works because unplug power truly resets chips to normal states. While standby, you still have electricity powering the chips.

I would suggest Philips analyse 9700's firmware to iron out such bugs. Focus on chip initialization/standby routines of the firmware.

Philips - QK
05-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Dear users,

We will have a firmware release in the near future to resolve the purple screen issue reported by Stormen here:

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?12183-Purple-picture-HDMI-DVI-BDP-9700

We have however not noted the purple screen when power on/off the device while developing that firmware and for this we may need more time for investigation.

Thanks for your patience whilst we are studying the issue.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Stormen
05-23-2013, 08:35 PM
wohooo, im dancing in circles :-) I'll bake you a cake if it works :-)
I've read hundreads of forums and threads about this issue and this is what I learned:
Issues with green or purple pictures, stripes etc is often related to the advanced hdcp protocolls and small small timeouts etc. some users just change cabel, connect HDMI through the amplifier, ( switches can make problems) set input to Ypbpr or RGB etc. It can be tricky to find out what the problem is beacuse it doesnt as you notice behave as a regular "broken cable". It comes after 5 minuts or directly or not at all. its often restarts, startups in the right order etc.
My problem is that its always purple, Same symptom on other equipment can also be totally black or green. its the same diagnose for hdcp.

Here you can find some good advices when your products doesnt shake hands as they should.
both hdmi-hdmi and hdmi-DVI
http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheaterdoityourself/a/How-To-Troubleshoot-Hdmi-Connection-Problems.htm

kvic
05-27-2013, 04:06 PM
Hi

Philips, you need to work hard to fix issues in next/nextnext/nextnextnext firmware. Have one engineer fixing harder issues and one working on smaller issues/enhancement at least. :)

You need to keep up with the competition, and your potential buyers patience. I've been telling people to withhold their purchase of other brands and wait for 9700 because I think most smaller issues requiring a simple firmware fix. :) :)

Thanks

Philips - QK
06-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Dear all,

We have the latest firmware live today.
May I invite your feedback on the latest firmware? http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?12725-BDP9700-Latest-Firmware-upgrade-(V3-85-10)-has-been-released&goto=newpost

With thanks & regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Gerhard
06-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Hi,

[...]
We have the latest firmware live today.
May I invite your feedback on the latest firmware? http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?12725-BDP9700-Latest-Firmware-upgrade-(V3-85-10)-has-been-released&goto=newpost[...]

thanks guys for your efforts. I'll give it a try ASAP - most probably this weekend - highly depending on the weather ;)

- Gerhard

Philips - QK
07-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Dear Gerhard,

I have sent you a PM and I need your quick response on that. :) Would you please have a look of your inbox?

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Philips - QK
07-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Dear users,

We would like to invite your feedback on the below few issues to see if the they are solved with the firmware 3.85.10 so as to close the loop.

1. Dolby HD no sound
'When using a single HDMI connection (HDMI main, set to bitsream) to the AV amplifier (here Pioneer SC-LX82) and playing a Blu Ray disc, the DTSHD bitstream is sent and detected correctly by the AV amplifier. After switching to DolbyHD, there's no more sound.

2. Sound quality
Analog centric to external HDMI TV set (for AVRís without HDMI input)
Connections: HDMI AVR not connected, HDMI Main to digital TV, Analog 7.1 to AVR.
Audio Settings BDP9700: HDMI AVR:Bitstream, HDMI Main: Off
Result: 6 channel (or 5 since most SACDís are 5.0) analog sound available in moderate quality. Most likely a PCM derived signal.
Video (for selection of tracks and progress of the player) available through TV

3. Sound interruption/ Sound drop
When Easwylink is off, switching the TV on does not stop the CD/SACD playback, but interrupts the sound several times

4. Sound interruption/ Sound drop
When Easwylink is off, switching the TV off during playback causes a short playback interrupt

Your feedback is a lot appreciated!

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Toengel
07-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Hi,

regarding 3): In this case, the current SACD track starts from the beginning in my setup.

Toengel@Alex

Philips - QK
07-12-2013, 03:56 AM
Thanks Toengel. Will report also this.

Gerhard
07-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Dear QK,

sorry for the late response, the weather currently is too good ;)
I've just cross checked the issues below. See my results "inline":
The setup is a BDP9600 connected via 2 HDMI cables, one to the TV set and one to the AVR.

[...]
3. Sound interruption/ Sound drop
When Easylink is off, switching the TV on does not stop the CD/SACD playback, but interrupts the sound several times

Two different errors can be observed here, when switching the TV set on.
Issue 1: TV input was set to BDP9600 (prior to switch it off). CD playback was started, then TV was switched on
--> CD playback continues, but I got several sound drops.

Issue 2: TV input was set to AVR (prior to switch it off). CD playback was started, then TV was switched on
--> CD play continues, one sound drop for several seconds, AVR displays "HDCP error".

4. Sound interruption/ Sound drop
When Easylink is off, switching the TV off during playback causes a short playback interrupt

This issue is still present.

BTW: The display on the device is still not usable in the standalone configuration without TV switched on. There are several improvement proposals already made - it's a pity.

Regards,
Gerhard