PDA

View Full Version : Green Tint Problem... Kind of.

Yotam W.
03-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Hello all,
I recently purchased a new Philips 37" FULL HD TV (model 37PFL5405H/12), and so I decided to replay all Playstation my games in HD (after being stuck with SDTV for over 3 years). Every game I've played so far looks amazing... Well, except for one. The other day I decided to boot up Batman: Arkham Asylum. The game itself looks great, but there's a strange green tint over any yellow text in the game, which comes and goes
The problem is only noticeable in parts where there is black in the background.
In other games I've had no such visual problems, though that might be because no other game I have has parts where large portions of the screen are in black (?).
Could it have something to do with the fact that before playing the game, I switched between 720p and 1080p a few times because I wanted to check something (please don't lecture me about how I shouldn't have done that. I know it was a stupid thing to do. Then again, the TV is brand new - I bought it less than a month ago. and therefore it wouldn't make sense for it to have been damanged by my doing something wrong just a couple of times).
Again, other games look fine, videos look fine and TV broadcasts look fine. Even the game itself looks fine. The "green-ish tint" only affects the text.
What could be the cause of this problem? Is there a way to fix it? I've read somewhere that a similar problem is caused when the "CRT" is damaged. What is a CRT? Is it replaceable? If so, how much does it usually cost to have one replaced?
The problem occours after the TV's been on for 10-15 minutes.

Thanks in advance to all who provide aid,
Yotam.

Samsonite
03-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi.

CRT means Cathode Ray Tube, the old fashioned picture tube. So that is not applicable for your TV.
Switching between 720p and 1080p will not kill your TV!
How did you connect your PS to your TV?

With kind regards, Samson.

Yotam W.
03-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Hello Samson, and thank you for your reply.
While I am well-aware that it would be extremely weird for my TV to have been damaged by my switching between 720p and 1080p a few times (in a row...), the fact remains that I had no problems with my TV prior to my doing so. My HDMI cable is properly connected both to my PS3 and TV.
Also, contrarily to what I originally thought, the "green tint over yellow and orange text" issue isn't only noticable in one game, but in any game where there's a situation of having green/orange text in dark areas. In addition, it appears another problem has rose of which I was not originally aware: my TV seems to have an issue of "circles" in the picture, similarly to how old computer monitors used to look.
What can be done to fix the problem? Is it reversible? I do have a valid warranty, but seeing how the issues I'm experiencing are not "major" ones by any means (albeit very frustrating as I spent a relatively huge amount of money on the TV), do you think anyone would be willing to fix them?

Thanks again,
Yotam.