PDA

View Full Version : 46PFL4208 or 46PFL3108 TVs - NTSC PAL question

JLF
11-22-2013, 12:00 PM
I live in Israel at the moment and would like to buy the 46PFL4208H/12 or 46PFL3108 TV. I will be moving to the US in a few years. The salesman in the store said that all new TVs are multi-system and work with NTSC and PAL. He says it is just a matter of changing it in the menu.

When I look at the specs online though I don't see that mentioned. Can someone please clarify this for me?

Philips - Ina
12-06-2013, 01:09 PM
I live in Israel at the moment and would like to buy the 46PFL4208H/12 or 46PFL3108 TV. I will be moving to the US in a few years. The salesman in the store said that all new TVs are multi-system and work with NTSC and PAL. He says it is just a matter of changing it in the menu.

When I look at the specs online though I don't see that mentioned. Can someone please clarify this for me?

Hi JLF,

Welcome to the TV forum!

The salesman is partially right, but not quite.

The TVs are capable of displaying both NTSC and PAL video, but ONLY from external sources. They will not be capable of tuning into an NTSC broadcast signal. The TVs are designed to only work with the European broadcast standards (PAL or SECAM).

So this means you will be able to use the TVs in the US, but only if you acquire a set top box (reciever) that can tune into the NTSC broadcast signal, effectively using the TVs as a display (via HDMI or SCART).

Also be aware that you may need to acquire a voltage converter for the TVs, as the domestic electricity supply in the US uses different voltage.

Best regards,
Ina