PDA

View Full Version : Your experiences with FW v0.140.36.0 for 8000 and 9000 series (2010 models)

Philips
05-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Hi,

Please share your experiences with this new SW version here in this topic. Channeling your input will make it easier for users to search and find relevant info.

Discuss here all your experiences when upgraded to the new version (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?729-Software-overview-for-8000-and-9000-series-(2010-models)): new, old, positive, negative.... (for example, the "sound drop at HDMI problem" or the "black screen during zapping problem" is solved !).

Toengel
05-13-2011, 03:35 PM
Hi,

Excellent!

Toengel@Alex

Philipswalther
05-13-2011, 04:31 PM
wehn comes for 7605 update!!!

petasis
05-13-2011, 05:24 PM
I installed the new 140.36 firmware.

This firmware caused some instability to the TV at first, but after 10-15 reboots, the Tv has stabilised.
(The main problems were that no channels were available when I opened the TV, and I had to re-select TV from the home menu, to get the channels back. The other was that the NetTV did not work at all - fixed on the sixth reboot I think).

Regarding sound drops, I still got some, but I think there is an improvement with respect to 140.34.

Menu spelling errors for Greece: not fixed.
DVB-T EPG for Greece: not fixed.
Sound drops: not fixed.

Model: 46PFL9705

pdemo
05-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Hi,

Excellent!

Who is excellent ?

Toengel
05-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Hi,

excellent = Philips is working to improve the 2010 series..

And - BTW - I am excellent :D

Toengel@Alex

johny_sk
05-13-2011, 06:59 PM
I am disappointed. Why does not solve the Philips HDMI sound droops, but correcting Colored transparent layer visible during use of Net TV?
We get the final administrative functions TV?
Say officially Philips to this problem?
This FW does not correct dropouts in sound. Many people use the STB and its operators are connected via HDMI, so it seems to me that this is the biggest and main problem and not NET TV.

Toengel
05-13-2011, 07:30 PM
The main problems were that no channels were available when I opened the TV, and I had to re-select TV from the home menu

Hi,

same here...

Toengel@Alex

Jeroen61
05-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Hi,

Please share your experiences with this new SW version here in this topic. Channeling your input will make it easier for users to search and find relevant info.

Discuss here all your experiences when upgraded to the new version (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?729-Software-overview-for-8000-and-9000-series-(2010-models)): new, old, positive, negative.... (e.g. the "sound drop at HDMI" problem is solved!).

Dear Philips,

A bit disturbing to write e.g. the "sound drop at HDMI" problem is solved! Because I don't see it in the list:
Q555x_0.140.36.0 (publication date 2011-05-13)
(preliminary list, subject to change):
• HDMI startup behavior adapted for Technisat settopbox.
• Sporadic losses of teletext.
• Include special Portuguese characters for multi-tab.
• EPG always starting up on first preset.
• Freezing picture on some video content in Net TV.
• Videostore: freeze when playing videos longer than 2.5 hours.
• Colored transparent layer visible during use of Net TV.
• Enable Latvia as full DVB-T country.
• MPEG artifacts in HD channels in Spain.

By the way, how can the list be subject to change? Is philips deleting lines when they don't work out?

Why is there no solution for the sound drops? You ask us for our comments, but it would be nice if Philips would keep us informed about the progress and the problems in solving them? After all by working on the FW Philips admits there are problems. In my case the sound drops. So when you sell a tv that doesn't work as it should, at least inform us about the (progress in the) solution.

Jeroen

Leonos
05-13-2011, 07:58 PM
What is ment by 'EPG always starting up on first preset' ?
Is it the long awaited EPG that is shown when I switch channels or is it some sort of hidden bug we never noticed ?

ps, I did not upgrade yet.

Toengel
05-13-2011, 08:02 PM
What is ment by 'EPG always starting up on first preset' ?
Is it the long awaited EPG that is shown when I switch channels or is it some sort of hidden bug we never noticed ?

ps, I did not upgrade yet.

Hi,

when you are for example on channel 10 and start the EPG, the EPG highlighted channel 1

Toengel@Alex

pdemo
05-13-2011, 08:04 PM
excellent = Philips is working to improve the 2010 series..
Philips should have worked in 2009 for series 2010, not in 2011 :(
For example, the quality of the tuner DVB-T is much worse than on the other brands. The macro-blocks appear often

And - BTW - I am excellent :D
Yes it's true :)

Leonos
05-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Damn, I rather had they add that feature I mentioned. This 'bug' didn't bother me at all. Was in fact very handy.
I only use it to see what's on the other channels. They better go do some spectacular things which needs some brains.

Toengel
05-13-2011, 08:19 PM
The macro-blocks appear often

Hi,

try to disable the MPEG stuff in the settings...

Toengel@Alex

petasis
05-13-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi,

same here...

Toengel@Alex

Just be patient, in my case it was corrected after 10-20 reboots. Try to switch all the inputs, and hopefully the tv will stabilise. I think mine did...

petasis
05-13-2011, 08:36 PM
I am sorry, but in another forum, I just saw a new firmware release of a Japanese LCD manufacturer.
Look at the release notes:

Improvements in this version:

New feature: Skype™
New feature: Twitter
New feature: Facebook
New feature: What's New
Media Remote (Software keyboard, Full / Simple Remote and Shake Track ID)
VA/O Remote Keyboard
Media Remote (text by voice)
USB HDD Recording
Audio Theatre Control Widget
WMV/WMA Codec for DLNA / USB
3D on IPTV and USB

And we are awaiting whether the next firmware will have DVB-T EPG...

Somehow I felt really strange that I just updated the firmware, and I saw no improvement...

pdemo
05-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Hi,
try to disable the MPEG stuff in the settings...
Toengel@Alex
I already tested all the settings

If level of reception is not excellent, macro-blocks appear on the Philips. On the same installation, Sony is always good.

Philips
05-13-2011, 08:51 PM
wehn comes for 7605 update!!!

Will follow soon....

Update 16-May: Expected around mid of this week (but don't quote me on this...).

Update 18-May: Available.

theflyer1972
05-13-2011, 08:54 PM
NOOO another minor release !!!!!!
philips weak up !!!:mad:

Toengel
05-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Hi,

the channels where back, after switching to TV in home menu (as you stated). I did the following:

- Update TV
- wait until TV was up again completely (here the channels were gone)
- go to standby and restart
- go to standby and hard switch off
- restart (and again all easylink settings where gone and I am not able to connect my BDP9600 via Easylink - I need to force the HDMI-1 input...)

I waited some minutes and Net-TV and IP-EPG also worked again (it takes a COUPLE of minutes until the LAN connection worked again).

Toengel@Alex

Philips
05-13-2011, 09:11 PM
.....By the way, how can the list be subject to change? Is philips deleting lines when they do work out? Why is there no solution for the sound drops? You ask us for our comments, but it would be nice if Philips would keep us informed about the progress and the problems in solving them? After all by working on the FW Philips admits there are problems. In my case the sound drops. So when you sell a tv that doesn't work as it should, at least inform us about the (progress in the) solution. Jeroen

Jeroen,

I indicated the release notes as 'preliminary' as I did not receive the official list from development yet. But as I did want to inform you guys a.s.a.p., I published a pre-official list. As soon as I have the official anouncement, I will finalise it here.

About the sound drops: this was (supposed to be) fixed with FW 140.34. That's why you see it there in the release notes and not here anymore. If some of you still notice them, please send me a PM with info of model number, serial number, location, connections, and a small description of the symptom. I will collect them and feedback to development.

hippie67
05-13-2011, 09:48 PM
I am sorry, but in another forum, I just saw a new firmware release of a Japanese LCD manufacturer.

VA/O Remote Keyboard
USB HDD Recording
3D on IPTV and USB

Somehow I felt really strange that I just updated the firmware, and I saw no improvement...

Please give some more info on where did you get this info (give link) or for which brand / typenumber is this valid.
It seems to me more an anouncement of a new TV range than a software update.....

petasis
05-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Its firmware update is PKG3.211EUA, released for all series for the brand, from NX720 to EX320. Its not a new release, its a firmware update.

This is the update that makes real the second news item from here: http://blogs.skype.com/en/skype_on_your_tv/

So, all Korean & Japanese & US brands have skype. Do we?

limpitakis
05-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Cinema 58PFL9955H

1. the channels where back immediately after standby. No switching to TV in home menu was required, No hardreset as well
2. Easyling was there no isuues here as well.
3. Net tv was launched as soon as I pressed the net tv button, No issues here as well
4. Not a single issue on sound drop ever.
5. A faster boot up to the tv channels was recorded.
Nick
Nick

Toengel
05-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi,

but if you switch your TV and (e.g.) BDP hard off, then the Easylink settings are lost... and when I switch both devices on, the DO NOT find each other again... This happens to me after every main switch off...

Toengel@Alex

limpitakis
05-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi,

but if you switch your TV and (e.g.) BDP hard off, then the Easylink settings are lost... and when I switch both devices on, the DO NOT find each other again... This happens to me after every main switch off...

Toengel@Alex

I am not experiencing siuch a problem.
I have connected the tv and the Yamaha RXV-3067 through HDMI 1.
BDP - 9600 is connected to the yamaha.
When I turn on the tv the amplifier wakes up as well. Then I switch on the philips 9600. If I press the standby button to the remote of the tv then the tv swithes off then immediately after the Yamaha switches off by itself (easylink) and almost immediately the Philips blu ray switches off as well (easylink)
The above procedure is being done without a glitch whether the tv turns on from standby or from a hard reset.
Nick

Toengel
05-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Hi,

with "easylink settings are lost" I mean, that all entries in the home menu are gone, and I don't have the capability to show the on-screen-buttons with my tv remote when the BDP is show. I am also not able to select the "add device" function via the option menu when viewing the BDP (HDMI).

Toengel@Alex

gad
05-14-2011, 02:54 PM

VA/O Remote Keyboard
USB HDD Recording
3D on IPTV and USB

That is so true!!!

I really hope that Philips does step up their efforts and start producing firmwares that actually do offer something new ..

USB recording would be a big one on my wish list ... as I heard 9706 (i.e. 2011 series) will offer this option

Erikrijnders
05-14-2011, 05:16 PM
1) Well for the expensive tv I bought I wought expect USB-recording om the 2010-models at least.

2) Still no IP-EPG for the Ziggo-users with CI+. Ziggo states its not their fault and that this is something Philips should change. Ziggo even states that this bug is not something that has something to do with the Ziggo-certifcations (see the Ziggo certified 2011-models, these models have IP-EPG too)

3) Still no now/next EPG when zapping. How many time must we mention this before someone frrom Philips even starts listening?

Please Philips, as customers we demand quality en good changes. Up to now Phlips is hiding behing third paties like Ziggo!!! Is this the way Philips should act against THEIR customers. At least I would expect Philips to say that they are going to solve this by contacting Ziggo AND MAKE THINGS BETTER!!!!

MDPlatts
05-14-2011, 05:37 PM
the 34 release still stops sound - uk 58pfl model coming direct from Virgin Media V+HD cable stb via HDMI - though I've not heard it happen on bluray coming from Onkyo NR808 amp. It does seem to happen much less, but its still there.

I'm a little surprised as your attitude - perhpas nobodys PM'ed you that they have the problem, but you can't have failed to have seen people mentionig it in the forums. Perhaps it comes from wearing two sets of PTA03 active 3d-glasses with the 2nd pair inside out for that Peril-Sensitive-Sunglasses effect.

I don't use DVB-T much, but the lack of an EPG is just amazing - my first flat panel tv with built-in DBT-T (freeview) had it - and that was over 7 years ago and I've never seen a TV without it.

No wonder samsung and all the other far-east manufacturers have pushed you out of the TV market.

Toengel
05-14-2011, 05:53 PM
the 34 release still stops sound - uk 58pfl model coming direct from Virgin Media V+HD cable stb via HDMI - though I've not heard it happen on bluray coming from Onkyo NR808 amp. It does seem to happen much less, but its still there.

Hi,

I suggest to write a PM as stated here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1539-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.140.36.0-for-8000-and-9000-series-(2010-models)&p=6762&viewfull=1#post6762). BTW - try firmware 140.36 ;-)

Toengel@Alex

limpitakis
05-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi,
Even though I do not have any issues with my set I do no find that the latest firmware offers much.
What I would like from a future firmware release?
1. EPG support and if not at least the now-next banner when changing DVB-T channels
2. PVR support with external disks ( If the 2011 series does support this option and it is not hardware related it should be added through firmware update at least to the 2010 high end tvs as well)
3. I would like 2D to 3D conversion but it seems to be hardware related so I would not hold my breath on it.
4. I would like some 3D adjustment settings added to 3D banner in order to minimize further the crosstalk issue even though new xpand universal 3D gllasses are supposed to do so.
Nick

Jeroen61
05-14-2011, 08:14 PM
..... I'm a little surprised as your attitude - perhpas nobodys PM'ed you that they have the problem, but you can't have failed to have seen people mentionig it in the forums. ....

Philips,

I agree with this statement, although I would have chosen other words. However they would mean the same. It's clear you read this forum, so you can't be serious to say the sounddrops are solved with FW. 34. I mean, there were FW-version 34 and 32 and 27 and 11 that solved sound problems. Not a strange thought that there will come another version to really solve the problem.

So far there are still complains about sound drops. The follow up of FW-versions doesn't give the idea that Philips knows where the key to solve this problem lays. And then there is the silence from Philips about the problem. It doesn't show any respect to consumers and suggest some dispare (better be silent then tell we have no clue).

But maybe Im wrong and Philips did it's job well and is it to the STB-, audio-equipment etc producers to make FW for there products.....BUT THEN SAY SO!

J-U-S-T C-O-M-M-U-N-I-C-A-T-E !!!

theflyer1972
05-14-2011, 09:50 PM
PHILIPS
was planned a firmware release that implements new features for the 2010 model, Yes or no ?
please PHILIPS REPLY

limpitakis
05-14-2011, 10:12 PM
PHILIPS
was planned a firmware release that implements new features for the 2010 model, Yes or no ?
please PHILIPS REPLY

Rumor said that this was the case for the 58pfl9955H which would aquire some or all of the abilities of the new cinema of the 2011 series. However it seems that the 2011 cinema comes with additional hardware so some of its new features are quite impossible to be implemented to the old one.
I hope however that philips will eventually launch a firmware tha adds new 2011 features to all of its2010 high end models.
Nick

gad
05-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Hi,
Even though I do not have any issues with my set I do no find that the latest firmware offers much.
What I would like from a future firmware release?
1. EPG support and if not at least the now-next banner when changing DVB-T channels
2. PVR support with external disks ( If the 2011 series does support this option and it is not hardware related it should be added through firmware update at least to the 2010 high end tvs as well)
3. I would like 2D to 3D conversion but it seems to be hardware related so I would not hold my breath on it.
4. I would like some 3D adjustment settings added to 3D banner in order to minimize further the crosstalk issue even though new xpand universal 3D gllasses are supposed to do so.
Nick

It couldn't be said any better!

I fully agree too!

Toengel
05-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Hi,

Bullet 2)

Why do you think that no additional hardware is necessary? Maybe the new TVs do have an encryption DSP and the 2010 series don't...

And why should Philips add a feature of there new series to the old one? Nobody would buy the new TVs. Or do you expect additional 50 PS for your car just after your next car inspection?

Toengel@Alex

limpitakis
05-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Hi,

Bullet 2)

Why do you think that no additional hardware is necessary? Maybe the new TVs do have an encryption DSP and the 2010 series don't...

And why should Philips add a feature of there new series to the old one? Nobody would buy the new TVs. Or do you expect additional 50 PS for your car just after your next car inspection?

Toengel@Alex

I did not say philips should,
As stated earlier rumor said it and not me,
A few months ago a rumor from inside the philips headquarters leak a information concerning new cinema. The inside information from a very high ranked philips man stated that the new cinema and the 2010 one would be identical but the new sophisticated firmware which would be released to upgrade old 2010 cinema tvs as well.
Having that in mind I wrote the number 2 bullet.
As for the second question of yours.... Nobody would buy the new tv? why is that please? No new model hit the market until old ones are not available. So even if I wanted to buy an old model and update it to match the characteristics of the new one I could not do so due to the lack of the older model at the market.
In addition I would like to point out that current firmware updates do not offer us new characteristics but try to solve problems some of which should not be there in the first place. So in contrast I think philips owes its dedicated customers,a firmware update which would add something valuable to keep everyone happy. At the moment as far as I am concerned I am not a very happy customer!
If you ask me I would prefer an addition of the 3D setting banner since the tv still suffers from occasional crosstal issues. I strongly believe the latter is exclusively a software related issue and should be released as soon as possible.
Nick

mdiehl
05-15-2011, 10:56 AM
hi,
on my 32PFL9705K/02 this release don't fix the sounddrop issue. i think it's worse than the 140.43.

markus

Toengel
05-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Hi,

@mdiehl
then please write a PM to the moderator as stated one page before...

Toengel@Alex

Ontracker
05-15-2011, 11:15 AM
@Toengel

That would only be correct if the new and the old model differ in hardware and the old one is still available. First point is not proven yet and second is clear because of the strict replacement policy.
So Philips please go to work! At least add the IP-EPG to the DVB-S on the '10 models, PVR does my old UFS910 which is almost unplugable due to several sound losses, but i can live with it since i do not record often and am able to convert the files that TV can play them via USB. By the way: This STB was upgraded to PVR one year after going into market!

And adding new features and updates is very common with cars in nower times, keep this in mind!

johny_sk
05-15-2011, 12:02 PM
Jeroen61

Very good post
THX

mdiehl
05-15-2011, 12:50 PM
i have done it before i wrote this comment here in this thread.
this is only for other users who don't know if they should upgrade do 140.36 or not.

markus

Hi,

@mdiehl

Toengel@Alex

petasis
05-15-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi,

Bullet 2)

Toengel@Alex

Yes, PVR will provide Philips a cutting advantage, a breakthrough to sales, especially when all other brands had this for their 2010 models... :D

I don't have such huge hopes, I am hoping for DVB-T EPG and now/next, that Philips has locked in software.

BTW, the things you write are justifications of a company that does not respect its customer, and tries to push sales with cheap tricks. They cannot be the opinion of a customer...

petasis
05-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Hi,

@mdiehl

Toengel@Alex

I have sent a PM. What do you think the result will be?
Sound drops will magically disappear after the PM?
I think this PM thing is a joke, to keep us "waiting" and "hoping" that it will be solved.
Have you considered the possibility that this is hardware bug, and will never be fixed?

Jeroen61
05-15-2011, 05:13 PM
Jeroen,

.... If some of you still notice them, please send me a PM with info of model number, serial number, location, connections, and a small description of the symptom. I will collect them and feedback to development.

Philips,

Did send you a PM.
You say you will collect them and feedback to development. Thanx for that. But can you explain your (formal) role in this. This forum is indicated as still unofficial.

johny_sk
05-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I think that Philips does not sound to interrupt anything. This error is reflected equally in all previously issued FW. Yesterday while watching World Cup final in hockey broke my sound total of 34 times, is this normal? Philips is playing with my health ... When they fail to resolve, let us return money and let the TV take. I have no nerves ...

I suggest that we have informed some of the EU Commission, to compel them to finally solve this problem.

Already it takes almost a year warranty and is slowly ending.

Ontracker
05-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Big problem: Since i updated to FW 36 my Fritzbox 7141 restarts its wireless every time someone wakes up my 9705 and all wireless connections in my house are interrupted. I can reproduce that. Can anyone else too? Philips has to fix this immediately!

carlosfm
05-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Successive FW versions only deal with the sound cuts and a few other problems, while other reported problems are never corrected.
It is ridiculous that the long ago reported greek translation problems are still uncorrected.

Also, there are no really new FW upgrades for many months (with something... new), or else the installation would be automatic from the internet.

All this leads me to suspect that the TV firmware development "team" is just one person. :D
I've seen departments with only one person.

Jokes aside, this is sad.

petasis
05-16-2011, 06:48 PM
It is ridiculous that the long ago reported greek translation problems are still uncorrected.

Well, its only 8 months that I have reported them. Perhaps the pigeon post (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeon_post) has not yet arrived (Athens to Amsterdam is a large distance if you are a pigeon), or somebody ate my pigeon before it arrived... :D

I have the feeling that they don't care to fix the spelling mistakes.
Or that they are making us an IQ test, if we can map "Grekk" or "Greeek" to Greek, "Optionse" to Options, and "First Page" to Home... ;)

Franck78
05-16-2011, 07:08 PM
All this leads me to suspect that the TV firmware development "team" is just one person.

Jokes aside, this is sad.
ah ah, same for the web site hosting the download/support forum. Almost nobody is updating it. In 2020, Philips will always be the best TV/VCR manufacturer ;-)

Extract from the top page of the support site, funny list of dead technologies:

You can directly browse downloadables files without the useless annoying 'licence agreement' here :
http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/

<html>
<head>
<meta_http-equiv="refresh"_content="0;URL=/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpproduct_selector.pl">
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL=http://www.support.philips.com/">
<meta name="Keywords" CONTENT="Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V., TV, Audio, MP3, Rush, Expanium, VCR, DVD, WebTV, Remote Control, Batteries, Lamps, Light Bulbs, Luminaries, Home Cinema, Surround Sound, Components, CyberTube, Tube, Flat Panel Display, Flat, LCD, Storage, Wireless Connectivity, Bluetooth, Monitors, PC Peripherals, CD-ROM, CDRW, CDR, DVDR, ReWritable, SACD, SuperAudio, Xenium, Phones, Mobile Phones, WAP, GSM, Cool Skin, Philishave, Razor, Shaver, Set Top Box, Projectors, Beamers, USA, United States, America, National Organization, Video, Local, Entry Point, Netherlands, Dutch, Press Info, Investor, Images, Active Matrix, Stock quotes, Company profile, Press release, Philips Brand, Branding, Jobs, Recruitment, Corporate information, Presentations, Analysts">
<meta name="rating" CONTENT="General">
<meta name="ROBOTS" CONTENT="ALL"><meta name="Title" content="PHILIPS.COM">
<meta name="Description" content="Royal Philips Electronics of the Netherlands is one of the world's biggest electronics companies and Europe's largest, with sales of $34.9 billion (EUR 37.9 billion) in 2000. It is a global leader in color television sets, lighting, electric">

<title>Philips Global Consumer Care - Royal Philips Electronics</title>

</head>
<body>
Start <a href="http://www.support.philips.com/">Philips Product Support</a>.
</body>
</html>

bmandersen
05-16-2011, 08:39 PM
All this leads me to suspect that the TV firmware development "team" is just one person. :D

I must admit that the same thought has crossed my mind. While other manufacturer has started to offer their customers upgrades with new exciting features, Philips is still struggling solving bugs that should have been stopped by a fairly good quality of service department in the first place.

Anyone who knows how many people are working with TV software in Philips? How is the mood in Philips’ TV development department after the announcement of the joint venture with TPV Technology?

Toengel
05-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Hi,

I don't know if the following is a new feature with 140.36 or if I did not recognized that in the past:

If a USB drive is connected to the TV and a folder has many files, one is (now) able to flip pages via the outer buttons of the circle (|< and >|). Was that already implemented with an older firmware or is this a new feature?

Toengel@Alex

bmandersen
05-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Hi,

I don't know if the following is a new feature with 140.36 or if I did not recognized that in the past:

If a USB drive is connected to the TV and a folder has many files, one is (now) able to flip pages via the outer buttons of the circle (|< and >|). Was that already implemented with an older firmware or is this a new feature?

Toengel@Alex

I don't know if this question was directed to me, but I woudn't call that a new feature. I would call it an improvement of an already existing feature. Support for an USB HDD recorder however is an example on what I would call a new feature.

petasis
05-16-2011, 09:24 PM
My 46PFL9705H/12 continues to be "unstable" regarding channels when I open the TV from standby, with firmware 140.36.
For a period, if the TV was put on standby while showing an HDMI input, the TV switched back to DVB-T viewing.

This stopped.

And now, I have the old behaviour, where the TV opens up in the last input.

But if the last input was a DVB-T channel, some times I get it correct;y, and some other times I get a blank screen, with a message "no channels are available". If I press the up/down button for changing channels, I get all the DVB-T channels again.

I don't know the reason for this inconsistent behaviour, but I think that Philips should remove firmware 140.36, and post an immediate fix. This is not a stable firmware.

pdemo
05-16-2011, 09:35 PM
It's pathetic :(

Freddy
05-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Perhaps the pigeon post (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigeon_post) has not yet arrived (Athens to Amsterdam is a large distance if you are a pigeon), or somebody ate my pigeon before it arrived... :DNo, no... I've just seen it: it was simply brushing up on its education... http://24.media.tumblr.com/1gcJ85FGnbp0gu5wzWIfjvL4_400.jpg

Nettle
05-16-2011, 11:51 PM
I think that Philips does not sound to interrupt anything. This error is reflected equally in all previously issued FW. Yesterday while watching World Cup final in hockey broke my sound total of 34 times, is this normal? Philips is playing with my health ... When they fail to resolve, let us return money and let the TV take. I have no nerves ...

I suggest that we have informed some of the EU Commission, to compel them to finally solve this problem.

Already it takes almost a year warranty and is slowly ending.

This is a clear case of "lack of conformity": a lawyer or a consumers association could help you to ask for the money back or a device replacement (better with another Philips model). Mine one for example doesn't have this sound drop issue.
For lack of conformity we're speaking about 2 years of warranty coverage.

regards

carlosfm
05-17-2011, 01:40 AM
I don't have sound drops since 3 or 4 firmware versions (27?)...
Back then, it happened everywhere, even when streaming a video from my PC ("Browse PC"). Not anymore.

Anyway, the firmware guy needs some holidays. :D

petasis
05-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Another bug introduced in 140.36:

I have an HTPC connected through HDMI to my 46PFL9705H/12. If I start the TV from standby, the TV forces a low resolution to the PC (even if the input is not the HDMI the pc is connected to), causing a re-organise of desktop icons, windows, etc.

VERY ANNOYING. It destroys my desktop every time the TV starts.

The resolution is changed momentarily, quickly it returns to 1080, but the damage is done...

Toengel
05-17-2011, 08:07 AM
Hi,

can you figure out to which resolution the PC is forced?

Toengel@Alex

bmandersen
05-17-2011, 08:28 AM

I have an HTPC connected through HDMI to my 46PFL9705H/12. If I start the TV from standby, the TV forces a low resolution to the PC (even if the input is not the HDMI the pc is connected to), causing a re-organise of desktop icons, windows, etc.

The resolution is changed momentarily, quickly it returns to 1080, but the damage is done...

Is the HTPC video output configured in some kind of plug and play mode? Maybe it is possible to configure the HTPC to a static 1080 output resolution, and that way avoid the bug.

If Philips introduce such bugs in new releases it indicates that they have poor control of their software/firmware.

petasis
05-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Is the HTPC video output configured in some kind of plug and play mode? Maybe it is possible to configure the HTPC to a static 1080 output resolution, and that way avoid the bug.

If Philips introduce such bugs in new releases it indicates that they have poor control of their software/firmware.

No, it is fixed at a static 1080 resolution.

It is an HDMI initialisation error on the TV HDMI. Momentarily, it announces that it supports a low resolution, and the pc reacts accordingly.

ergo47
05-17-2011, 09:27 AM
Hi,

Toengel@Alex

Hi Toengel,
this functionality is not new. You can use the "next channel" button as "page down" or "end" also in other menus. The "previous channel" button works similarly.
:-) ergo47

Toengel
05-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Hi,

yeah - but I think it wasn't there with one of the first firmware update... hmm - but thats fine... i love that "feature" ;-)

And I need it for my BDP...

Toengel@Alex (Toengel@Alex)

bmandersen
05-17-2011, 09:54 AM
No, it is fixed at a static 1080 resolution.

It is an HDMI initialisation error on the TV HDMI. Momentarily, it announces that it supports a low resolution, and the pc reacts accordingly.

If it’s fixed to 1080 it is strange that it cares about what the TV is signalling.

Anyway, what I guess happens with your system is that the TV signals a new EDID before the EDID is actually ready to be read. This makes the HTPC send a default, low resolution format. Some moments later the TV actually has a proper EDID, signals it again, and the HTPC corrects its output resolution to 1080.

Bugs like this indicates that Philips either rush through their releases, have to few (or to many?) developers, or maybe that they have left the firmware development of the TV software to inexperienced TV software developers. In all cases it is a bad sign for Philips TV customers.

carlosfm
05-17-2011, 10:05 AM

Is it Windows?
Right click on the desktop, then "Arrange Icons By -> Auto Arrange".

mgpro
05-17-2011, 10:41 AM
I tested the 140.036 version now serveral days. The intermittent sound loss issue is still not solved. I have a HTPC (Windows 7 with NVDIA ION) connected by HDMI to a 52PFL8605K/02 TV. I use only the internal TV speakers and no external sound hardware. All i can do is turn off / on the TV. After that the sound losses do not occur for 2-3 hours. When i connect the same pc to an other TV by HDMI, i have no problems.

Rebooting the pc does not solve the problem. Interestingly rebooting the pc made the problem worse or even triggered it in 140.034. With 140.036 rebooting the pc has no effect. In this respect 140.036 is better than 140.034.

petasis
05-17-2011, 11:26 AM
Is it Windows?
Right click on the desktop, then "Arrange Icons By -> Auto Arrange".

Its not the icons only. The widgets on the right screen side are moved to the desktop center, and all windows (i.e. firefox windows) are resized to small ones.

I have to re-arrange everything after I open my TV...

xtremap26s
05-17-2011, 01:13 PM
Hello I have the same problem after upgrading to version 140.36 "no channels are available. " How can I fix it?

is possible to install the previous version? (140.34)

Thanks

mdiehl
05-17-2011, 04:53 PM
hi,

look here http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?966-Is-there-a-Guaranteed-way-to-downgrade-140.XX-software&highlight=downgrade

markus

Ontracker
05-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Another reproduceable difference 34 -> 36: 15W more consumption. I had all options identical, same light environment, same film, same time, tested exactly 30min two times with update <-> downdate. I think Philips should offer better FW as new, not worse!

theflyer1972
05-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Where is the philips MOD?
where are the reply from Philips team for these problems?

MDPlatts
05-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Where is the philips MOD?
where are the reply from Philips team for these problems?

Two possibles -
1. working on fixes to the 2011 firmware (which I see also has sound drop problems) - 2010 is so last year so why fix it
2. pretending to be an ostrich - head in the sand. nah, nah, nah, not listening, I can't hear you...

xtremap26s
05-17-2011, 08:52 PM
hi,

look here http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?966-Is-there-a-Guaranteed-way-to-downgrade-140.XX-software&highlight=downgrade

markus

thanks ... I think it is better to wait a new version with the hope that the problem is resolved.

pdemo
05-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Hi,

A hope or a miracle ?

Chrissie18
05-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Here, in The Netherlands, they've removed version 36 from the support site. Says enough..?!
I'm waiting for the next one.
I do admire those that directly try the latest firmware versions.. ;)

Jeroen61
05-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Dear Philips,

By the way, how can the list be subject to change? Is philips deleting lines when they don't work out?

Jeroen

Wel, as I said before on page 1 of this topic

...deleting lines from the release notes, or the whole update (.36), if it doesn't work out? What is the reason for deleting a whole update? Till now updates didn't bring all things they promised but now a whole update is deleted. It's getting stranger and stranger ....

petasis
05-18-2011, 08:33 AM
I do admire those that directly try the latest firmware versions.. ;)

I have always the hope that they will fix DVB-T EPG for Greece, that does not work, and the TV has no EPG at all.
I don't care that much about the SPDIF sound drops, I have realised its a hardware issue that will never get fixed.

rollufje
05-18-2011, 09:09 AM
I've got the same ptroblems after upgrading to .36:

-After startup no signal. It's on "watch TV", only without picture.
-New one: after turning off TV with the remote, it switches itself back on.
-When playing video from USB HDD, the video starts to stutter after +/- 20-30 minutes. This has been fixed in the past. Now it's back.When I do a quick rewind & play the stutter is gone.
-Couldn't start NET TV for about a day. Could be a problem with the NET TV server, not the FW.

I'm a bit afraid to downgrade the FW. I hope there will be a stable release in the next couple of days....

petasis
05-18-2011, 09:41 AM
Just an example on how Philips discriminates on countries, by locking features:

Today I decided to re-install TV channels, in case the problems with no channels found when opening the TV is resolved (no, it does not - I still get the same error after re-installing channels).

But I remembered that in the 140.36, Latvia is added as a new "full DVB-T" country, and since it has the same time zone, I gave a try, in case DVB-T EPG works.

So, I re-installed the TV channels using as country Latvia, in Greece. (BTW, this reseted my NetTV completely, as the country changed also there).

Channels were installed, and tried DVB-T EPG, which works for Latvia. I saw the guide for the Greek channels, but with a wrong time (time on the TV was fine, but time listed in programs was 3 hours behind, having as current ones programs in the future).

I tried to fool the TV about its time, by setting a manual time, and then switching to setting the time according to "country". I have managed to do this two times, and I got the TV time and the EPG time synchronised, leading to a working DVB-T EPG guide in Greece:

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab207/petasis/Philips%2046%209705/IMG_5056.jpg

This clearly proves that there is not a hardware issue, there is not a software issue, its just Philips that blocks DVB-T EPG for Greece!
And imagine how many countries are blocked!
Its just Philips not wanting to just add some correct timing handling in their firmware code...

I thing this whole issue is so ridiculous... :mad:

All this works, until the TV decides to update its time again from the EPG data... For sure, when the TV is switched off from the mains switch. I have put the TV in standby a few times, and still works ok. I don't know if it will work when the day changes, we will see tomorrow.

The fact that it is so easy to fix this, and they simply don't do it, makes me really mad...

pielle007
05-18-2011, 09:50 AM
@ toengel : Why is there a topic called "Your experiences with FW v0.140.36.0" but Philips removed this SW @ the Netherlands?
Now it's removed.. WHY??? should we downgrade to .34???? please give advise. because i updated monday to .36

Toengel
05-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Hi,

I didn't think it is removed... for which TV?

Toengel@Alex

petasis
05-18-2011, 09:53 AM
@ toengel : Why is there a topic called "Your experiences with FW v0.140.36.0" but Philips removed this SW @ the Netherlands?
Now it's removed.. WHY??? should we downgrade to .34???? please give advise. because i updated monday to .36

Toengel is not Philips. He is just a Tv owner. I am afraid he cannot provide any advice on that.
Philips did the expected action: we reported new bugs with this firmware (TV showing wrong message about missing channels, and resizing pc desktops on reboot), so they took the firmware back to "fix" it.
For Greece, its still available, but perhaps the site needs time to be updated.

Toengel
05-18-2011, 10:05 AM
Hi,

I just downloaded 46pfl9705h_12_fus_nld.zip - and it contains 140.36 - so I think only the web pages are out of date - the files on the server contain the latest firmware...

Toengel@Alex

pielle007
05-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Hi,

Toengel@Alex

46" 9705

Sorry i thought Toengel was a messenger from Philips. Thanks for your reply

Jeroen61
05-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Hi,

Toengel@Alex

Hi Toengel,

From this dutch site I downloaded .36 last week but now it's gone/removed.

http://www.philips.nl/c/televisie-9000-serie/9000-serie-32-inch-1080p-full-hd-digitale-tv-32pfl9705h_12/prd/nl/?t=support

Toengel
05-18-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi,

yeah - but just download it - the ZIP file contains Version 140.36...

Toengel@Alex

theflyer1972
05-18-2011, 12:27 PM
Hi,

yeah - but just download it - the ZIP file contains Version 140.36...

Toengel@Alex

even worse

Jeroen61
05-18-2011, 12:38 PM
even worse

That is weid. When I downloaded the 'folder' mentioned version .36. So they changed the name of the folder but not the update file inside. Why? Nice question for the Philips mod.

Toengel
05-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi,

I don't understand your problem. Each firmware update software file has to following structur:

46pfl9705h_12_fus_nld.zip
or
32pfl9705h_12_fus_nld.zip
or
46pfl9705k_02_fus_deu.zip

And the links in the support webpages point always to the same location. But the ZIP files contain always the latest version. If you download a file, you will see, that the acutal UPG file is inside (can be seen cause the included txt filename include the version number.

Please show me a link, where you find an old version...

And I stated before (in post #85) that the websites are out of date, but the files on the server don't...

Toengel@Alex

Jeroen61
05-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Hi,

And I stated before (in post #85) that the websites are out of date, but the files on the server don't...

Hi Toengel,

Websites can be out of date and still link to the latest version of the software. However. De website was up to date and mentioned version 36. Just like in the next sentence but the there was 36 and a date in may 2011. But now it says again 'Nieuwste versie: 000.140.034.000, 2011-04-11' .

So yes you are right, but what might be the reason for putting up an outdated website where there was an up tot date website.

Of course it still links to the right updatefile. The problem is that people are getting a bit irritated because Philips doesn't communicate and I looks like Philips removed the newest version bacause it was not good enough / not tested well. People get iritated because Philips promises to solve problems like sound drops but the problem is still there. And then it looks like a whole update is withdrawn.

Can you understand?

Toengel
05-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Hi,

yeah - I understand your concerns - I think the website admin should drink another coffee ^^

The whole infrastructure seems a little bit "mixed up"...

And we all hadn't that problem, if the integrated update would work...

Toengel@Alex

petasis
05-18-2011, 02:03 PM
Nice question for the Philips mod.

I would prefer answers from Philips mod to issues that are more important, than errors of their website. :)

carlosfm
05-18-2011, 05:29 PM
There has been problems with the FW files, in the last versions, when they are first available for download.
I wonder if it's yet another task for the firmware guy.

Toengel
05-18-2011, 05:37 PM
Hi,

the firmware guys actually removed the firmware files for 5000 and 7000 series, but forget to upload the new files :D Hopefully they will upload them quickly. At the moment people get errors while trying to download the 140.36 for 5000 and 7000 series ;)

Toengel@Alex

Jeroen61
05-18-2011, 06:23 PM
HI All,

Just 5 minutes ago I contacted the Philips serviceline. SW 36 is removed ftom the dutch website because there are errors in it. The girl on the line said that it also promised a solution for sound drops that after all didn't work out. The renewed 36 will be ready in a few days. They asked me to try this one and if it doesn't work they will see what they can do. Guess they only can take the TV back.

Disappoining but not unexpected!

See also my posts 9 and 78.

MDPlatts
05-18-2011, 07:06 PM
"36" is still on the UK site too - http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=58PFL9955H/12&slg=en&scy=GB

roll on 37, 38 or whatever they decide to call it - just ****** fix it.

pielle007
05-19-2011, 09:19 AM
HI All,

Just 5 minutes ago I contacted the Philips serviceline. SW 36 is removed ftom the dutch website because there are errors in it. The girl on the line said that it also promised a solution for sound drops that after all didn't work out. The renewed 36 will be ready in a few days. They asked me to try this one and if it doesn't work they will see what they can do. Guess they only can take the TV back.

Disappoining but not unexpected!

See also my posts 9 and 78.

Philips is talking sh*t, Philips support called me yesterday back and said:
"The software engineers had a meeting about this release .36
It goes back asap .36 publishing without changes from the earlier release ....
They made a mistake and published sw .36 accidentally"
Anyone understands wtf Philips is doing?

Toengel
05-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi,

what's going on? Quality management?

@Philips
Please send us a Ping!

Toengel@Alex

carlosfm
05-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Dear Philips,

I've just downloaded the 036 firmware for my 37PFL7605/12 TV.
But... from what was said on the posts above (and in this whole thread), I am reluctant to install it.
The question is: do you recommend the installation of the 036 firmware, or was there some mistake and we should hold our horses?

Thanks in advance

Philips
05-19-2011, 03:04 PM

Hi,
what's going on? Quality management?
@Philips
Please send us a Ping!
Toengel@Alex

Dear Philips,
I've just downloaded the 036 firmware for my 37PFL7605/12 TV.
But... from what was said on the posts above (and in this whole thread), I am reluctant to install it.
The question is: do you recommend the installation of the 036 firmware, or was there some mistake and we should hold our horses?
Thanks in advance

To inform you: Software version 140.36 is currently the latest software for 5000-, 6000-, 7000,- 8000-, and 9000-series (2k10 models). This is the one you should have! There is nothing wrong with it, and it has not been withdrawn by us!

Again something went wrong (believe me, this annoys me as much as you...:o):
Due to a pilot test in the Netherlands and Belgium with a new web page layout, the text on the website indicated wrongly that software version 140.34 was the latest. However, after downloading, version 140.36 was actually present in the ZIP file. This happens only on web pages with language set to NL.
We are working hard to correct this asap. In the mean time you can download and install this file without risks, or select another country/language and download from there.

Ontracker
05-19-2011, 05:00 PM
This is the one you should have! There is nothing wrong with it, and it has not been withdrawn by us!

It's pretty hard not to laught out loud!

pielle007
05-19-2011, 05:02 PM
@ Philips >thnx 4 ur reply and clearing everything, but please inform your support desk too, they don't share the correct info with us.... if this is all then why would someone from the support desk tell me " "The software engineers had a meeting about this release .36 It goes back asap .36 publishing without changes from the earlier release .... They made a mistake and published sw .36 accidentally"
As a consumer we don't want incorrect info or even worse: fairytales.
But please make some good software that's reliabil en stable en that doesn't have sound drops. It must be very frustrating working @philips as a software engineer i imagine.

Jeroen61
05-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Philips,

Here some thoughts, questions and doubts because I am getting tired of al this. You say nothing is wrong with the 36 and it's not withdrawn. This is very very serious because it means the Philips lady I spoke yesterday was LYING to me. She asked me to wait for the remake of the 36 and if that wouldn't solve the sound drops we could look for other solution (quess that means they take the TV back).

1) Maybe something went wrong with the test of the webpage but why is the webpage not fixed yet?

2) Why Philips communicates that bad. Just put a line on the page that it indicates the 34 but the ZIP is 36. Then we are informed.

3) Where is the release note of the 36? Why this always takes long.

4) As I metioned before, it's strange that for many times now, the new SW is published but Philips is not able to publish the release note with it.

5) As I suggested before, it might be that Philips does so to be able to publish a release note that mentions fixes that work out. ( However, I must admit that fixes for sounddrops were in the release notes although they didn't work out).

Jeroen61
05-19-2011, 07:03 PM
RELEASE NOTES 36 FOUND in the UK.....but no fix for sounddrops!

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpcontent.pl?mid=Link_Software&scy=GB&session=20110519140021_83.87.196.101&ctn=58PFL9955H/12&slg=ENG&dct=FUS&did=ENG&reldct=FHI&file=/files/5/58pfl9955h_12/58pfl9955h_12_fhi_eng.pdf#toolbar=0&zoom=100

Toengel
05-19-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi,

@Jeroen61
as Philips stated before in this thread:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1539-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.140.36.0-for-8000-and-9000-series-(2010-models)&p=6762&viewfull=1#post6762

Toengel@Alex

johny_sk
05-19-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi,

@Jeroen61
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1539-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.140.36.0-for-8000-and-9000-series-(2010-models)&p=6762&viewfull=1#post6762

Toengel@Alex

Hi
I have a feeling that the sound drops Philips not correct at all, just like our customer information to satisfy that it addressed. The loss of sound are exactly the same in all versions of FW.

Jeroen61
05-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi,

@Jeroen61

Toengel@Alex

Hi Toengel,

I know the Philips mod is doing the best he can. Compliments! The point is that making a SW update is complcated. During the development they keep logs of progess. So part of the decicion to publish must be the final log that says what de update will do. Therefor I can't understand that it takes that long to put an outline in WORD and publish it. Anyway, it's available in the UK so why not in Holland?

Philips
05-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi Toengel,
I know the Philips mod is doing the best he can. Compliments! The point is that making a SW update is complcated. During the development they keep logs of progess. So part of the decicion to publish must be the final log that says what de update will do. Therefor I can't understand that it takes that long to put an outline in WORD and publish it. Anyway, it's available in the UK so why not in Holland?

Thanks Jeroen! Finally someone who apreciates all the hard work :rolleyes: !
The English release notes are normally the first to publish. After that they will get translated to several other languages, and that takes a few days. In the mean time I have received the final release notes. I will publish them asap.

Jeroen61
05-19-2011, 09:10 PM
After that they will get translated to several other languages, and that takes a few days. In the mean time I have received the final release notes. I will publish them asap.

Euhhh, I'm getting old! Can't remember I've seen one in dutch but as I said, getting old.

In the almost impossible case that release notes on the dutch website are in english, they should be there quicker.

Jeroen61
05-19-2011, 11:07 PM
The triologie 'Lord of the Rings' is a pocket compared to the mistery story of 36 release notes. Today I found them in the UK but now they are gone.

This is the site

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=58PFL9955H/12&slg=en&scy=GB

Click release notes and see.....nothing, nada, niente!

Question to our Philips mod: If the first release note is in english why it's not there? It was there before! No translation issues can be the problem here. In Great-Brittain they speak english as far as I know.

But serious, I would like to hear the reason because helpdesks and Philips mods tell different stories. The helpdesk says 36 has problems en our mod say 36 is ok. Was there a website experiment in GB aswell?

Toengel
05-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Hi,

i can download the release notes. No problems at all...

Toengel@Alex

Jeroen61
05-20-2011, 07:41 AM
I LOVE IT

Hi Toengel,

Great, it's back again. Now with more items then the 2 I saw before it was offline. Still no sounddrop fix.

Q55xx_0.140.36.0(Publication date: 2011-05-13)
• Availability for Latvia about DVB-T full profile.
• Small picture of TV channel in right upper corner after going to NetTV.
• Solution for ZDF/ARD Mediathek playback freeze after 20min.
• Solution for MPEG artifacts in HD channels La Sexta Spain.
• Solution for no txt after open internet usage or during use of external.
• Solution for special characters in Portuguese multitab via RC.
• Solution for coloured semi-transparant layers in nettv and txt.
• Solution for problems with technisat HD8+ HD stb.
• Solution for EPG starts always on channel 1.
• Solution for movie in videostore stops after 2h33.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpcontent.pl?mid=Link_Software&scy=GB&session=20110520023838_131.224.251.104&ctn=58PFL9955H/12&slg=ENG&dct=FUS&did=ENG&reldct=FHI&file=/files/5/58pfl9955h_12/58pfl9955h_12_fhi_eng.pdf#toolbar=0&zoom=100

This one is not really very clear to me:
What kind of problems are solved here.

Muccie
05-20-2011, 07:58 AM
After installing .36 firmware in my 46PFL9705, there is something strange: when switching the TV on with the remote from stand-by, the TV does not show the last channel anymore, instead shows a dialog-box that there is "no TV signal". Only after using the numeric-keys on the remote to switch to a chanel, the program is shown. This behavior is also noted by many others, see:

http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&back=1&sort=lpost&forum_id=152&thread=6895&postID=last#last

from page 122

Toengel
05-20-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi,

I had this only once - the first time the TV started after the Update (= part of the installation process). I switched to TV in the home menu and the TV worked again. Then I shut down the TV (to standby) AND afterwards I switched the TV hard off.

Maybe the hard-off was the solution for the problem.

Toengel@Alex

Toengel
05-20-2011, 08:11 AM
This one is not really very clear to me:
What kind of problems are solved here.

Hi,

maybe a HDMI handshake problem... but only Philips knows...

Toengel@Alex

Adamo
05-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Hi,
with the latest firmware (0.140.36.000 ) I have a problem with wifi connection.

My TV doesn't find the network connection if I disable "broadcast of name - SSID" of my wifi.
In fact, if I enable the broadcast of name - SSID, the TV connects immediately to the router and I can access to online services.

I've tried to reconfigure wifi setup (also pairing the TV ad the router with WPS - Push 'N connect procedure, but as soon I disable the broadcast of SSID TV doesn't connect anymore).

This behaviour happens only with latest software release (until the 0.140.34.000 firmware this never happened).
I use this wifi setup by 10 months (nothing has changed).
The rest of my devices (PC, Tablet, Phone) work as always did.

My setup is:
32pfl9705/12
Netgear dgn1000 wifi ADSL router (WPA2-PSK and SSID disabled)
Every night I switch off every device (incuding TV and router).

Has anyone the same problem?

Regards,
Adamo

Egbert
05-20-2011, 10:35 AM
I had a strange problem.

When i instal version .36 de tv canot find my PTA02 transmitter. I contact Philips they told me that i must reinstal version 36 before the reinstall i must disconect all mij devices.
The 3d transmitter was found one time afther 3x set my tv on whit the remote control. afther i set my tv standby the transmitter canot be found.
With al earlier software the 3d transmitter works correctly.
Can you advice me wat to do. Philips cannot reproduce this problem. My TV is a 40PFL9705 week 39.

(sorry for my bad enlish)

Ontracker
05-20-2011, 12:45 PM
I have this strange FritzBox-Reset problem but a hidden SSID is no problem, i get connected after a while.

petasis
05-20-2011, 06:47 PM
After installing .36 firmware in my 46PFL9705, there is something strange: when switching the TV on with the remote from stand-by, the TV does not show the last channel anymore, instead shows a dialog-box that there is "no TV signal". Only after using the numeric-keys on the remote to switch to a chanel, the program is shown. This behavior is also noted by many others, see:

http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&back=1&sort=lpost&forum_id=152&thread=6895&postID=last#last

from page 122

Hi,

I had this only once - the first time the TV started after the Update (= part of the installation process). I switched to TV in the home menu and the TV worked again. Then I shut down the TV (to standby) AND afterwards I switched the TV hard off.

Maybe the hard-off was the solution for the problem.

Toengel@Alex

I have observed it when I updated to 140.36: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1539-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.140.36.0-for-8000-and-9000-series-(2010-models)&p=6742&viewfull=1#post6742

And I have the problem since then. I have issued a warning about this fw that is more buggy than usual:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1539-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.140.36.0-for-8000-and-9000-series-(2010-models)&p=6942&viewfull=1#post6942

pdemo
05-20-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi,

Perhaps the Developers from Philips have TV Sony at home.
They never see their bugs :rolleyes:

Adamo
05-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Hi,
with the latest firmware (0.140.36.000 ) I have a problem with wifi connection.

My TV doesn't find the network connection if I disable "broadcast of name - SSID" of my wifi.
In fact, if I enable the broadcast of name - SSID, the TV connects immediately to the router and I can access to online services.

Hi,
little update to my wifi problem.

If I power-on the router first and then the TV, the wifi connection works.
Instead, if I power-on the TV and after an hour I power-on the router, the TV doesn't connect to the router.

So, it is like the TV has a timout for the wifi networks search and after that can't resume the connection.

It would be useful to have an option to force connections already paired with the TV in the past.

Adamo

Toengel
05-21-2011, 07:35 AM
Hi,

@Adamo
in your second case... what happens if you try to start Net TV? Does the TV say "no connection available" or is the TV trying to build up a connection?

Toengel@Alex

Adamo
05-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi Toengel,

in the second case the TV says "no connection available" and redirects me to the wifi setup wizard (the one you can find into Home->Setup->Connect to a Network) where, if I choose the option "Scan fo routers", it doesn't find anything. At this point, the only thing is to power cicle the TV (off/on) and than wifi works.

Adamo

pielle007
05-21-2011, 05:29 PM
NET TV / WIFI problems too... with fw .36 got 2 tv's : 46" 9705 and 32"7605 both same issue's.

Toengel
05-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi,

I also realized, that the connection to my router takes much more time with 140.36 - but after some minutes it works. Can you test it with a wired connection?

Did you also tried to restart your router - sometimes it helps...

Toeng

Adamo
05-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi,
I'm sure that the wired connection will work (however I'll try it as soon as I can).
Restarting the router doesn't help.

Adamo

johny_sk
05-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Hi
Philips engineers would be required at least 10 times a day watching this video. During the one minute audio dropped out 6 times.
(File size: 6.813 kilobytes - SoundDrops_xvid)
Reference: http://www.2shared.com/video/REx0495D/SoundDrops_xvid.html
This is a heart attack ...
FW - 34
HDMI-2
Input - STB - Cable operator
TV PFL8605/H 12

mbkeen
05-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Based on the above I will continue to stick with .27 rather than go for the latest release for the sound drop bug fix because .27 was/is better than .26 in terms of frequency of drops during viewing.

But question for all - will .36 (or .34) fix the intermittent problem of a large number of individual pixels flashing white then returning to proper colour in random patterns across the screen during viewing (it even happens when the image is paused - flashing/strobing on and off randomly!).

thanks

pistoiaa
05-23-2011, 09:30 AM
This kind of statements, often seen on this forum, really drive me crazy!
1) "Why should Philips add a feature of 2011 series to 2010 series TVs?": of course, to keep their Customers happy, so they will remain Philpis Customers for the future shopping
2) "Nobody would buy the new TVs": do you really think that a Philips Customer, just one year after spending about 1000 euros to buy a 2010 series TV, will buy a 2011 series TV just to have some functionality more? I think that the new 2011 TVs will be bought by people having TVs older than 2010 series, so Philips would not lose Customers by adding some new feature to 2010 series
3) "Or do you expect additional 50 PS for your car just after your next car inspection?": the car example is totally unapplicable to our discussion. We are asking for some minor SW improvement (e.g. now/next feature that all recent TVs have), in some case they would be on the edge of bug fixing (e.g. the 7605 USB mediaplayer is very limited: mkv with bitrate greater than 4000 are almost unreadable).

Let's face the truth: Philips do not want spend a buck to implement new features to already sold TVs, they do only if the new feature is inherited free from new series TVs (e.g NetTV or Joinspace applications). I believe this is a very wrong strategy, because this way they will continue losing Customers. Who knows, maybe, from this point of view, the new Chinese Philips owners will behave better.

theflyer1972
05-23-2011, 09:49 AM
This kind of statements, often seen on this forum, really drive me crazy!.........
totally agree with you

carlosfm
05-23-2011, 10:02 AM
If TVs would play everything, nobody would sell media player boxes.
It's the cruel truth.

Many Blu-Ray players only read mp3 and WMA audio files.
It's ridiculous, no? Very 20th century...
They want to sell you another box.

Contour66
05-23-2011, 10:09 AM
.....do you really think that a Philips Customer, just one year after spending about 1000 euros to buy a 2010 series TV, will buy a 2011 series TV just to have some functionality more? I think that the new 2011 TVs will be bought by people having TVs older than 2010 series, so Philips would not lose Customers by adding some new feature to 2010 series......

Who knows, maybe, from this point of view, the new Chinese Philips owners will behave better.

I do NOT agree with you Pistoia. I think Toengel has a very good point here. An example: I've seen a lot of people buying an iPad-1 for 800 euro's, and nearly a year later they massively switch over to the iPad-2 because it has a camera and is somewhat thinner!

Another thing to consider is the huge price erosion on TV's, around 30 - 40 % per year. So the type of TV you bought last year for 1000 euro's can now be bought for 700 euro! And it even will have more features. So a lot of people are considering that seriously. I would.

On the point of the new Chinese Philips owners: In this case I agree with you. I think this will be a great chance for Philips TV, having a partner willing to invest. Let's see for the coming years.....

pistoiaa
05-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Yes, true, but do you (and Philips) really think that if they sell to me a TV stating that it reads mkv and I find it does very bad, then I will buy a media player from Philips?

Toengel
05-23-2011, 10:16 AM
Hi,

sure - I agree with you all that things such as Now/Next and SRT should be implemented into the 2010 series. But "big things" such as USB recording is one of the major options for the 2011 series...

And I don't get Windows 7 for free when I bought Windows Vista in the past... even if I paid more then 100 EUR for Vista... and even if Windows 7 runs on the same PC... THAT is the real world! However, a service pack is always welcome! For windows and of course for our TVs :)

Of course, I fully agree that Philips should work on it's information policy!

Toengel@Alex

pistoiaa
05-23-2011, 11:03 AM
I do NOT agree with you Pistoia. I think Toengel has a very good point here. An example: I've seen a lot of people buying an iPad-1 for 800 euro's, and nearly a year later they massively switch over to the iPad-2 because it has a camera and is somewhat thinner!
About this, I have one comment only: what a sadness!

Another thing to consider is the huge price erosion on TV's, around 30 - 40 % per year. So the type of TV you bought last year for 1000 euro's can now be bought for 700 euro! And it even will have more features. So a lot of people are considering that seriously. I would.
And would you really throw your 2010 TV away just to buy a new one, of the same brand, with just some feature more? Well, further to my comment to the previous point, I can add that it is quite clear the reason why we are close to be overwhelmed by trash. At least, the iPad is much smaller than a 37" TV...

On the point of the new Chinese Philips owners: In this case I agree with you. I think this will be a great chance for Philips TV, having a partner willing to invest. Let's see for the coming years.....
The point here is not about investing, but keeping Customers satisfied.

pistoiaa
05-23-2011, 11:10 AM
I agree with you all that things such as Now/Next and SRT should be implemented into the 2010 series. But "big things" such as USB recording is one of the major options for the 2011 series...

Well, I agree with you, of course it depends on how "important" is the new feature we are speaking about: probably USB recording on 2010 TVs would be too much, but other features just like now/next, subtitle and others should be implemented on our 2010 TVs.

Toengel
05-23-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi,

@pistoiaa
Full Ack!

Toengel@Alex

Freddy
05-23-2011, 12:03 PM
Based on the above I will continue to stick with .27 rather than go for the latest release for the sound drop bug fix because .27 was/is better than .26 in terms of frequency of drops during viewing.

But question for all - will .36 (or .34) fix the intermittent problem of a large number of individual pixels flashing white then returning to proper colour in random patterns across the screen during viewing (it even happens when the image is paused - flashing/strobing on and off randomly!).
Thanks for letting us know about this, as I am having, what I think is, that same "pixel flashing" problem on my 32PFL9705 with 140.25.

In my case it happens about twice per evening and as soon as it happens, it flashes 5 or 6 times, 10-20 seconds apart. After that it's gone again for a number of hours.
It is limited to high contrast regions however: pixels only flash in dark/black parts close to bright objects.

Is this the same for you, or not?...

johny_sk
05-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Well, I agree with you, of course it depends on how "important" is the new feature we are speaking about: probably USB recording on 2010 TVs would be too much, but other features just like now/next, subtitle and others should be implemented on our 2010 TVs.

I think that Philips has primarily provide primary - the basic functions of your TV (HDMI - SoundDrops) and then add additional features. TV is by definition intended for viewing and sound and it should work without problems (as described above - does not work). Therefore first solve the basic functions and then ...TV may also make the coffee.

carlosfm
05-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Yes, true, but do you (and Philips) really think that if they sell to me a TV stating that it reads mkv and I find it does very bad, then I will buy a media player from Philips?

Don't take me wrong, as I said it's the cruel truth, but I would like my TV to play everything, just like you.
Your question is a good one. :D:D

daL
05-23-2011, 04:21 PM
@pistoiaa, toengel,

Completely agree:
1. fixes for basic TV watching (sound & vision) ASAP
2. Now/Next (Consider this basic functionality)
3. Better movie support (forward/rewind + external subtitles)

Above that: honoust communication, roadmap and tested firmware. (Some bugs are discovered by customers within 5 minutes and shouldn't be hardly to find by Philips Q&A department).

Greetz,
daL

Erikrijnders
05-23-2011, 05:09 PM
Hi,

sure - I agree with you all that things such as Now/Next and SRT should be implemented into the 2010 series. But "big things" such as USB recording is one of the major options for the 2011 series...

And I don't get Windows 7 for free when I bought Windows Vista in the past... even if I paid more then 100 EUR for Vista... and even if Windows 7 runs on the same PC... THAT is the real world! However, a service pack is always welcome! For windows and of course for our TVs :)

Of course, I fully agree that Philips should work on it's information policy!

Toengel@Alex

I donot think USB-recording is a BIG THING like you state. All other 2010-models from all the other manufacturers have it. If the 2011-model has it, its not a reason for me to buy a new tv. I would expect Philips will implement this feature on the 2010-model too. That's customer service my boy. A thing al learned in the passed months Philips doesnot understand.

carlosfm
05-23-2011, 05:14 PM
One advice to Philips, and this is from personal and professional experience:

Q&A can't be performed by the programmers, they don't dare to do some things while testing.
Q&A must be performed by "normal" users, the more crazy the better.
Let them touch all the remote buttons and play with everything.
Let them sit on the remote control (ops...).

Toengel
05-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Hi,

today I had also several times that "no channel are installed". But over the last whole week I didn't have that problem. Very annoying.

When can we expect a fixed firmware, Philips?

Another thing. Did the 140.36 change something with the network stack? It takes much more time to be able to connect to IP-EPG or Net TV... Sometimes even after an hour (rare cases) the TV could not connect...

Toengel@Alex

Toengel@Alex

Adamo
05-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Hi,

I also realized, that the connection to my router takes much more time with 140.36 - but after some minutes it works. Can you test it with a wired connection?
Toeng

Hi Toeng,

I've tested with a wired network and it works (always!).
I mean: if I power-on TV and after an hour I connect it to the wired network and I select "NetTV", my TV connects immediately.
Instead, in a similar situation, my wifi network (hidden SSID) can't connect.
So probably there is something wrong with this firmware version (early timeout or fewer retry) and I hope that Philips will solve it.

Now I'd like to put the attention onto another point: I've paired my TV with my wifi router. If it is off and there is another (open) wifi network nearby, the TV connects with it. Is it a right behaviour?
I thought that the TV should connect only with paired wifi network, not with every reachable wifi network.
Am I wrong? Could be dangerous or unfair...

Adamo

koubiak
05-24-2011, 08:22 AM
To Philips:

Most of us (including me) had a number of philips products across the years and were happy with the quality of them.I still strongly believe that philips tv's have the best averall picture-i think the only real competitor is just Samsung.

But you have to understand that the sound issue is very important.It ruins everything else that is superb.
Of course i am not happy with the subtitles issue (no .srt playback) but i knew it before i purchase the TV.But the sound is something that is BASIC.

I own a 46pfl8605 and although i have not any problems with sound drop , there is a bit of audio lip sync problem :
Some quys have mentioned it here:

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1400-Bizarre-lip-sync-problem-with-Philips-46PFL9705H-12

but there was no official reply.
It seems that the sound comes a little bit early-and then the lips start to move.I have settings-preferences-audio out delay switced to on (if i select off things are way worse) but the dialogue is still some milliseconds out of sync.I am using analog channels and i have tried everything (even messed with picture settings-to derease the natural motion so it does not delay the picture) but no result.I am suprised that noone else has mentioned that.

Could you inform programmers about the problem (its definatelly a software issue) so to solve it.
Thank you.

Leonos
05-24-2011, 01:31 PM
There is also another issue with the 3D timings. We have measured the timings of the glasses and the actual image.
What we measured is that the glasses are opened, while the picture for the other eye is still there.So they open too soon. Maybe it's caused by the advanced (PerfectPixel) settings, causing delays to process the image.
Fact is that every TV may have some differences in timings and therefor these timings should be adjustable by the user. This is exactly what Samsung added to their latest firmware for 3D tv's and with this there you can finetune your
3D picture to prevent crosstalk and give much more 3D effect. This option has made the cheapest Samsung 3D TV even better then the Philips 3D TV.

Toengel
05-24-2011, 02:04 PM
Hi,

such option would be a great enhancement, since I also have ghosting with my glasses and TV...

But maybe we could later use the coming XPAND YOUniversal Glasses (X104) which can be adjusted via App or PC...

Toengel@Alex

Leonos
05-25-2011, 07:48 AM
I rather have the option to manually set the timings. What to do else with my 4 glasses I have now.
And I think I'm talking for most of the Philips 3D users right now.
(40PFL9705H/12, firmware 34)

Jeroen61
05-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Garantee

I've called the dutch Philips helpdesk and told them I still have sound drops. I said that they had time enough to fix it and I want them to take the tv back.

Now they first want to exclude the problem is caused by my STB (Cisco 8455) and ask me to check by friend and neighbours whether my STB works there without problems. Well, I'm afraid they will kindly tell me that they are afraid the problem will run over to their TV-set. But I will ask them.

Then Philips will take it for repair. I wonder what repair because it was indicated as software problem. Never heared them about that it sometime also could be a harware problem. I'm afraid I want have the tv back for a long period.

Any advise what to do?

carlosfm
05-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Call Philips for repair, either they change the motherboard at your place (a quick job), or they take the TV for repair.
If you want the problem solved, you have to live without the TV for a while, if needed.

Jeroen61
05-25-2011, 11:06 AM
The Philips mod made me smile today.

I had a 'notification' concerning the sound drop problemthat still exists, even after update 36.

Great Philips!

BUT...there is always a but.....When I anstalled my TV I was kindly asked to register my product. So I did because I thought I would get messages when updates are available or about problems and solutions, that kind of things. Well, never got any message. Why Philips doesn't use that channel to communicate? I wonder how people not taking part in this forum hear that a new update is available.

However our mod made a good start!

mdiehl
05-25-2011, 11:53 AM
@Jeroen61

the german philips support told me yesterday it's not a hardware problem.
they said to me it is a software problem, so there is no hardware to repair.
(i have asked for changing the small signal board on my 32pfl9705k/02).

markus

Toengel
05-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi,

the main problem is that support and developers arn't really connected. The information exchange isn't really present. This is my experience...

Toengel@Alex

Jeroen61
05-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi,

the main problem is that support and developers arn't really connected. The information exchange isn't really present. This is my exerience...

Toengel@Alex

@Toengel

Then we have a major bottom up problem in the philips (TV) organisation. Now I don't want to reorganize Philips but those signals must come through to development.

*** READ THIS PHILIPS MOD ***

Marco
05-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Garantee

I've called the dutch Philips helpdesk and told them I still have sound drops. I said that they had time enough to fix it and I want them to take the tv back.

Now they first want to exclude the problem is caused by my STB (Cisco 8455) and ask me to check by friend and neighbours whether my STB works there without problems. Well, I'm afraid they will kindly tell me that they are afraid the problem will run over to their TV-set. But I will ask them.

Then Philips will take it for repair. I wonder what repair because it was indicated as software problem. Never heared them about that it sometime also could be a harware problem. I'm afraid I want have the tv back for a long period.

Any advise what to do?

Here the same problem. I called philips, I replaced the STB with a new one (still the same problem) and then philips replaced the motherboard of my 9705. I still have sounddrops. I don't install .036 and still have .34

carlosfm
05-25-2011, 03:12 PM
The Philips developers should provide these users/clients who still have a problem that Philips can't solve (?!) the current firmware, but a "debug" version.
It could write a text log file to a USB drive, connected to the USB port.
Then the file would be sent to Philips support.

Why do I need to say this?!
It's very trivial for any software kinda guy...

Jeroen61
05-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Here the same problem. I called philips, I replaced the STB with a new one (still the same problem) and then philips replaced the motherboard of my 9705. I still have sounddrops. I don't install .036 and still have .34

So 100% software problem! Would be nice to hear from Philips wether it's a 100% SW-problem. That would make it easier to talk with the helpdesk. By now Philips must have a clue since they work on it for months now.

Philips mod: can you help us out and say that the sound drop problem is a 100%-software problem?

carlosfm
05-25-2011, 03:35 PM
So 100% software problem!...

No, it doesn't prove that.
It just proves that the replacement motherboard has the same problem as the original one. :p

Jeroen61
05-25-2011, 11:42 PM
No, it doesn't prove that.
It just proves that the replacement motherboard has the same problem as the original one. :p

True but unlikely! The probability of the replacing motherboard to have the same failure is really small.

Besides because you are reasoning that it could be a failure of the motherboard for the second time, you should also take in account that it could be a failure of the STB for the second time. But once again, almost impossible.

mgpro
05-26-2011, 08:51 AM
So 100% software problem!...

It proves that there is a general problem in hardware or firmware. It proves, that there is a hole series of TV affected by the sound drop problem and not only some faulty devices.

I still have the sound drops with version 36, but only if i connect a NVIDIA ION based HTPC with my TV. If i use a media player from Western Digital (WD), i have no sound drops.

I think there are a compatibility issues between PHILIPS HDMI hardware / firmware and certain HDMI device classes (ie. Windows 7 HTPC, NVIDIA or Cisco chips), which makes error search / correction even more complicated. Also making a guarantee claim in this situation will not be easy if most HDMI devices work, but some don't.

pistoiaa
05-26-2011, 09:53 AM
I think there are a compatibility issues between PHILIPS HDMI hardware / firmware and certain HDMI device classes (ie. Windows 7 HTPC, NVIDIA or Cisco chips), which makes error search / correction even more complicated. Also making a guarantee claim in this situation will not be easy if most HDMI devices work, but some don't.
I totally agree and this is a partial defense for Philips, because it does not make sure this is their issue and, if it is, it's not easy to reproduce and fix it.
As an example, consider another issue which I WAS sure it was a Philips issue: I (still) have no audio on my TV when I connect my netbook via DVI-HDMI plus 3,5 mm audio cable. Just yesterday I definitely found this is a NVIDIA driver issue, so it is aboslutely NOT a Philips' fault.

Well, the only thing Philips could do is to add, with the next FW, an option to select manually the audio source. Some TVs have this option and this would be a workaround for my NVIDIA driver issue. But I guess it would be asking too much to Philips...

carlosfm
05-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Try to check if there is an updated driver for your NVIDIA video card.
You usually select, on the video driver control panel, where do you want the audio: through HDMI or not (which directs the audio output to the 3.5mm output jack).
If you have HDMI audio output selected, you don't have audio if you connect to a DVI input of any TV.

pistoiaa
05-26-2011, 11:14 AM
Unfortunately my issue is due to a known NVIDIA driver bug, as you can see here:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=46914&st=0

NVIDIA released a fix, but only on Vista and later O.S. and, of course, I have XP. :-(

I am now trying to understand if I can fix my issue with the workaround reported here:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=58483&st=0&p=330319&#entry330319

but I'am afraid I will not :-(

mgpro
05-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Well, the only thing Philips could do is to add, with the next FW, an option to select manually the audio source. Some TVs have this option and this would be a workaround for my NVIDIA driver issue. But I guess it would be asking too much to Philips...

To be able to select say "Ext3" as sound input (on a 52PFL8605K), while watching the video signal over HDMI would solve my problem. Probably PHILIPS should consider this option, because it would help in many cases.

pistoiaa
05-26-2011, 03:46 PM
To be able to select ... sound input ..., while watching the video signal over HDMI would solve my problem. Probably PHILIPS should consider this option, because it would help in many cases.

Philips, what do you think about this? Is it feasible on 2010 TV sets?

MDPlatts
05-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Hopefully the "rumours" about the 2011 21:9 Platinum 58PFL9956 hardware being the same as the 2010 21:9 Platinum 58PFL9955 model - and hence the 2011 firmware they are presumably too busy working on to fix the 2010 firmware properly will be able to be used on the 2010 model when the model is released and we (58"ers) might get some useful new features (maybe even a UK Freeview DVB-T EPG).

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=el&u=http://www.fullhd.gr/news/hdtvs/lcd-tvs/7812-philips-58pfl9956.html&ei=P5neTe-0GZSxhAfjqeDJCg&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCEQ7gEwAA&prev=/search%3Fq%3D58pfl9956%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26bi w%3D2033%26bih%3D1190%26prmd%3Divns

Toengel
05-27-2011, 07:25 AM
"rumours"

Hi:

58PFL9955: TV550R1 - Q5553
58PFL9956: TV550R2 - Q5553

But we will see (and I hope, too, that some features will be backported).

Toengel@Alex

limpitakis
05-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Hi:

58PFL9955: TV550R1 - Q5553
58PFL9956: TV550R2 - Q5553

But we will see (and I hope, too, that some features will be backported).

Toengel@Alex

What R (TV550R1) stands for?
The new 21:9 platinum will have local dimming in 3D mode and 1200HZ mode of operation in contrast with our 21:9 which has no local dimming in 3D mode and the 400HZ respectively,
The above two fewtures I, Think, are hardware related and therefore impossible to be implemented to 2010 21:9 via a firmware update.
However IP-EPG and usb recording are feautures that I believe are software related and could possibly offered to us the 2010 21:9 owners, via firmware upgrade.
Nick

mhermann
05-27-2011, 04:22 PM
I experience some annoying issues regarding my CI+ SmartCard (Cablecom Switzerland) and the TV picture (37PFL8605K/02): Randomly, the TV picture gets partially overlayed/distorted by another picture that has just been displayed before. This picture is more or less transparent and appears for only a few seconds or even 1-2 minutes. It looks as follows:

http://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1978189/test.jpg
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/3952/error2zh0.jpg

Maybe a macroblock issue?

BTW: I've already changed the SmartCard but that doesn't help. Without a CI+ SmartCard I don't have that problem.

petasis
05-27-2011, 07:02 PM
I have observed strange behaviour yesterday, with my TV (46PFL9705H/12 and 140.36): I was watching HDMI2 (my sat receiver), and for a while I noticed problems with the local dimming (I got the feeling that the image was dimmer that it supposed to be, and some zones were kind of lazy, they open/close in a slower than normal rate).
Then I realised that the TV was not responding to remote: I could see the red light of the IR receiver working, but nothing happened on the TV. The home menu was not displayed. I couldn't even put the TV to standby.

Finally, I closed the TV from the mains switch. After a while, I think the TV was ok again...

Lech1
05-28-2011, 09:12 AM
It happens that there is no sound on TV 46PFL8605H/12 having played Playstation 3 (HDMI2) and then switching to sat receiver on HDMI3 (Philips DSR6201/91).

tolgaakcan
05-28-2011, 05:17 PM
I have "no channel available" problem.. Everybody has the same problem. So philps pls quick fix.. very annoying..

tolgaakcan
05-28-2011, 05:19 PM
I am having problem connectionr NETTV server. It says philips server not found. I am not sure if this has to do with firmware.
But I aint have nettv for 6 days..

Alicia
05-29-2011, 03:33 PM
The other was that the NetTV did not work at all
Same here. Fixed it by disconnecting ethernet cable and reconnecting.
TV : 40PFL8605H/12

tolgaakcan
05-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks Alicia, I never thought of that. I am doing unplugging and plugging ethernet jack to make the connection process faster as you suggested.
It is better than doing thru nettv menu which takes more time to wait..
I hope Philips fix this soon. very frustrating..

banjeep
05-31-2011, 06:46 PM
I have the same problem in wifi, with the old firmware I had no problem

Toengel
05-31-2011, 07:12 PM
Hi,

I noticed from day to day that something went very bad with the network connection. On some days even afer 30 minutes the network isn't available. Whein I open the IP-EPG or Net TV the wizard opens... connecting... connecting... Then I cancel I try it 5 minutes later, then the network is present.

Very annoying...

Toengel@Alex

tolgaakcan
05-31-2011, 09:37 PM
Welcome to our group :)

tolgaakcan
05-31-2011, 09:49 PM
I can't help thinking of possibility what if Philips cut the corners by reducing the number of the available slots or servers that results us having more queing and less connection.
Am I too much pessimistic? I hope they fix that soon or suggest us a sollution
Tolga

tolgaakcan
05-31-2011, 10:01 PM
I'd like to remind philips that I started thread on 22nd may saying that i was having problems with connection. So philips thought that I was delusional and told me that I was the only one experiencing that problem. Since we are enough in numbers I feel relieved and justified. So we have a problem with connection right??
I told everybody about pink layer on nettv 5 monhs ago they didnt believe me either.
I hope philips take our words more serious this time and find a sollution before it turns out to be a mass trauma.
first thing to do for philips is to say to tv users not to update FW to 140.36 and they have to remove that from the web. Because as people get to upgrade their tv's so it becomes more problematic..

banjeep
06-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Hi,

I noticed from day to day that something went very bad with the network connection. On some days even afer 30 minutes the network isn't available. Whein I open the IP-EPG or Net TV the wizard opens... connecting... connecting... Then I cancel I try it 5 minutes later, then the network is present.

Very annoying...

Toengel@Alex

Yes Toengel,is just so,
Very annoying...

tolgaakcan
06-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Do any one of you have any idea how to find previous version?

carlosfm
06-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Worry not, this "TV software" forum section went live today.
Please wait for Philips to say something. :)
We should get more support/feedback from now on.

Alicia
06-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Hi,

same here...

Toengel@Alex

Same here. 40PFL8605H/12.

Installed the update couple of days ago and still see the Dutch message "Geen programma beschikbaar" at the bottom of the screen every time I switch the TV on.

mhermann
06-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Is there someone who randomly has a PIP (picture in picture) effect on the left hand of the screen after installing FW v0.140.36.0? Appears on my 37pfl8605k...

tolgaakcan
06-04-2011, 01:51 PM
I Don't have that pip thing. But it keeps saying no channels problem. Philips pls fix that. 140.36 had lots of problems. Isn't that enough to release another update?

Toengel
06-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Is there someone who randomly has a PIP (picture in picture) effect on the left hand of the screen after installing FW v0.140.36.0? Appears on my 37pfl8605k...

Hi,

looking at the release notes of 140.36:

TV channel appear in a small screen on the upper right corner after switching from [Browse Net TV]. (Only applicable to Net TV models)

It seems not to be fixed... and on the other side...

Toengel@Alex

rollufje
06-04-2011, 06:43 PM
A couple of weeks ago i mentioned the following problems:

1. No channels problem
2. TV switches back on when trying to power off with the remote. It's seems the TV crashes just before shuttong down and then restarts itself before shutdown is completed. Usually happens when I power off while watching video from USB.
3. video stutters after 20-30 minutes when playing from USB

I just got an NAS (I also posted this on the Streaming forum). I can't fast forward/rewind when playing a video over my network via DLNA

And a new one:
This week I powered on the TV, the picture it showed was the last frame from the video I watched the night before.
I couldn't get the TV to show something else. It seems some video buffer had become unavailable. Had to power off/on with the switch on the back of the tv

I hoped for a quick release to upgrade from 140.36....

Toengel
06-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Hi,

yesterday I had a strange behaviour. I switched on the TV and I could see the broadcast of one station. However, I was not able to show ANY menu. For example, I could press the "zoom" key on the remote and it switches instantly to the next zooming mode (no OSD was shown). The only thing I could do was to restart the TV...

@Philips
Please take a look at all these problems in 140.36

With the current software it is a NIGHTMARE to demonstrate my 21:9 TV to friends and family!

Toengel@Alex

SamPanTop
06-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I bought a 9000 series tv for my old mother.
This more than 2000,- Euro expensive tv is a nightmare in almost all aspects, except the excellent image quality, as mentioned in this forum several times. I am not willing to try to fix the uncountable bugs this crappy tv has.
I am embarressed and my lawyer will do his job now!

Toengel
06-06-2011, 01:13 PM
Hi,

Firmware 140.37 should be coming soon (maybe today)...

Toengel@Alex

Erikrijnders
06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Hi,

Firmware 140.37 should be coming soon (maybe today)...

Toengel@Alex

How do you know???
Well?? And everything is solved???? Now/next when zapping??

rollufje
06-06-2011, 05:03 PM
A couple of weeks ago i mentioned the following problems:

1. No channels problem
2. TV switches back on when trying to power off with the remote. It's seems the TV crashes just before shuttong down and then restarts itself before shutdown is completed. Usually happens when I power off while watching video from USB.
3. video stutters after 20-30 minutes when playing from USB

I just got an NAS (I also posted this on the Streaming forum). I can't fast forward/rewind when playing a video over my network via DLNA

And a new one:
This week I powered on the TV, the picture it showed was the last frame from the video I watched the night before.
I couldn't get the TV to show something else. It seems some video buffer had become unavailable. Had to power off/on with the switch on the back of the tv

I hoped for a quick release to upgrade from 140.36....

I picked up a BDP-5180 yesterday, FF/RW via DLNA with the networkspace2 works on this device. So I think it's the 8605 that's missing some features... I'm also posting this in the streaming section of the forum.

Toengel
06-06-2011, 05:40 PM
How do you know???

Hi,

the release notes dated the firmware 140.37 to 6.6.2011...

Toengel@Alex

Adamo
06-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Why?

Hi Philips,
I'd like to know why...

1) Why a software encryption is needed to record free tv programs?

I've an external tuner (zapper; value 30€) that perform USB recording without performing encryption.

2) Why my tv is not able to pause/freeze a live tv show?

No more/extra cpu power needed to do it (and no encryption too...)

3) Why my tv can't do PiP (picture in picture) using tuner and an external source (HDMI or VGA)?

4) Why the tv internal USB player can't support resume or go-to function?

5) Why my tv doesn't support widget to see tv program and a "small" info area wich shows contents from the web like: weather, news and more?

The widget could also be shown in overlay mode - top of the screen (instead of using a side bar).

Sincerely,
Adamo

My tv is: 32pfl9705H/12

gad
06-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Why?

Hi Philips,
I'd like to know why...

1) Why a software encryption is needed to record free tv programs?

I've an external tuner (zapper; value 30€) that perform USB recording without performing encryption.

2) Why my tv is not able to pause/freeze a live tv show?

No more/extra cpu power needed to do it (and no encryption too...)

3) Why my tv can't do PiP (picture in picture) using tuner and an external source (HDMI or VGA)?

4) Why the tv internal USB player can't support resume or go-to function?

5) Why my tv doesn't support widget to see tv program and a "small" info area wich shows contents from the web like: weather, news and more?

The widget could also be shown in overlay mode - top of the screen (instead of using a side bar).

Sincerely,
Adamo

My tv is: 32pfl9705H/12

Adamo, very good list of suggestions.

I back this too.

Philips, please give us an answer on above.

theflyer1972
06-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Adamo, very good list of suggestions.

I back this too.

Philips, please give us an answer on above.
philips never answers

carlosfm
06-07-2011, 10:12 AM
I picked up a BDP-5180 yesterday, FF/RW via DLNA with the networkspace2 works on this device. So I think it's the 8605 that's missing some features... I'm also posting this in the streaming section of the forum.

Here's the short answer, as I have already talked about this in the streaming section of the forum.
If your media server is fully DLNA compliant, your Philips TV will do FF/RW fine.
If your media server is just UPnP compliant, FF/RW will not work on your Philips TV.
Philips TVs are DLNA 1.5 compliant, not UPnP. UPnP works, but not fully functional (no FF/RW).
I don't know about Philips Blu-Ray players, should be the same.
Your LaCie networkspace2 seems to be DLNA compliant, from a quick search in Google.

johny_sk
06-07-2011, 12:02 PM
FW v0.140.37.0 for 5000, 6000, and 7000 series (2010 models)

HDMI sound drops problem remains.
Tested on 32PFL5405H/12 - sound drops on HDMI port are back only minutes after upgrade.
is there EVER going to be a fix for this issue???

So for 8000 Series and 9000 will be about the same, disaster!
(Google Translate)

Toengel
06-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Hi,

yeah - the changelog didn't state anything about sound drops...

Toengel@Alex

tolgaakcan
06-07-2011, 12:22 PM
it isn't available on the web. Where did you download 140.37 thanks..

tolgaakcan
06-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Sorry it says. That is for 5000 - 6000- 7000 series.

tolgaakcan
06-07-2011, 12:25 PM
I was checking 8000 so it isn't available any update for 8000 and 9000 yet? is it?

tolgaakcan
06-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Will 140.37 only be available for 5000, 6000, 7000? What about 8000 and 9000 any idea?

rollufje
06-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Hi,

Some days ago I mentioned a problem regarding switching the TV off.

It happens every time when I do the following
1. I watch video via USB (via network not tested)
2. the video is playing
3. I switch the TV off with the remote.

The screen goes dark, the ambilight stays on. After 10-20 seconds the TV starts up again for no apparent reason.

Model: 40pfl8605
FW: 140.36

It seems it only happens when using the bult-in mediaplayer

Anyone else having this problem?

tolgaakcan
06-09-2011, 09:16 AM
Hi, I actually experiencing the very same problem. I just didn't mention that.

Hi,

Some days ago I mentioned a problem regarding switching the TV off.

It happens every time when I do the following
1. I watch video via USB (via network not tested)
2. the video is playing
3. I switch the TV off with the remote.

The screen goes dark, the ambilight stays on. After 10-20 seconds the TV starts up again for no apparent reason.

Model: 40pfl8605
FW: 140.36

It seems it only happens when using the bult-in mediaplayer

Anyone else having this problem?

bmandersen
06-09-2011, 08:02 PM

My 46pfl9705 had almost the same behaviour as you describe. But it was not a regular behaviour, it happened only some few times and not necessarily in connection with using the buildt in media-player. The TV had all signs of going in standby, including the red LED, but the ambilight was still on. Then after about 10 - 20 seconds it started up again.

It's a while ago since last time it happen, probably around cristmas. I don't know if it was a firmware upgrade or one of the many repair works my TV has gone through that made it go away.

bugmenot
06-10-2011, 08:06 AM
Hi,
knows every body, when the next Update are available for the 8000er Series?

petasis
06-11-2011, 08:59 AM
The new firmware 140.37 has been released for 8000/9000 series...

Nettle
06-11-2011, 09:10 AM
What about the release notes of the 140.37?

I've not found them.

regards

HeSa
06-11-2011, 12:29 PM
The new firmware 140.37 has been released for 8000/9000 series...
Where?? I can't find the firmware on the Dutch Philips site

Toengel
06-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Hi,

just download the file - the ZIP contains the new version.

Toengel@Alex

Erikrijnders
06-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Hi,

just download the file - the ZIP contains the new version.

Toengel@Alex

Well Where?? On the dutch site it isnot there!

HeSa
06-11-2011, 12:46 PM

I found it on the Belgium site. You're right, it's not on the Dutch site.

petasis
06-11-2011, 03:14 PM
I also found it on the Greek site.

Toengel
06-11-2011, 04:25 PM

Hi,

which TV do you have exactly? (You can also add this information in your forum profile.)

Toengel@Alex

tolgaakcan
06-11-2011, 05:23 PM
You guys sure? It is nowhere? Please post the link..

Toengel
06-11-2011, 05:29 PM

Hi,

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/46pfl8605k_02/46pfl8605k_02_fus_eng.zip

Toengel@Alex

tolgaakcan
06-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi Toengel How are you? I couldn't find the link. I have 8000.. Any idea?

tolgaakcan
06-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks It says 36. though..

Toengel
06-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Hi,

I just downloaded the file mentioned above - it contains the 140.37! Maybe you/your ISP has a proxy which contains the old file.

Toengel@Alex

tolgaakcan
06-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I just been to german site assuming you downloaded
it is saying
Firmware-Upgrade Software
Aktuelle Version: 000.140.036.000, 2011-05-13
Aktualisierungssoftware für das Benutzerhandbuch
2010-11-04

It is actually 37 but they didn't change the text?

Toengel
06-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Hi,

yes ;)

Toengel@Alex

tolgaakcan
06-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Yes, your're right file contains 37.. Upgrading .. I crossed my finger to see if that solves my connection problem..

Erikrijnders
06-11-2011, 07:16 PM
Again very disappointed:
STILL NO IP-EPG WITH DVB-C/CI+ IN THE NETHERLANDS
VERY IMPORTANT SO SOLVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again no now/nextfunctiion when zapping, asked for a hundred times. Something that is in the specs of my tv, bus simply isnot there. I want to get what I paid for!

petasis
06-11-2011, 10:36 PM

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?ctn=46PFL9705H/12&scy=GR&slg=el

Toengel
06-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Hi,

for feedback on 140.37: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?1761-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.140.37.0-for-8000-and-9000-series-(2010-models)

Toengel@Alex

Alicia
06-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Had a very strange issue today on my 40PFL8605 ; sound gone completely ! Not sure what caused it so cannot reproduce (yet). Sound was gone from : TV (DVB-C), NetTV, my mediaplayer that's connected via HDMI, my STB via SCART...
I got sound back by switching TV off completely via switch and switching on again.

Chrissie18
06-14-2011, 06:54 PM
I experienced this also one or two times.
I think this was the case after having turned off the sound via the mute knob on the remote, while using Windows Movie Maker (HDMI connector).
Very strange indeed...

Alicia
06-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Same here. 40PFL8605H/12.

Installed the update couple of days ago and still see the Dutch message "Geen programma beschikbaar" at the bottom of the screen every time I switch the TV on.

Had a internet chat with Philips about this issue and they asked me if I had tried a reset to factory defaults. I didn't so gave that a try, but.... didn't help. Issue still there :mad:

petasis
06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
The problem with "no channels found" is a software bug introduced in firmware 140.36. It is also present in firmware 140.37.

It does not go away if you reset to factory defaults, re-install all channels, or switch the TV off from the mains switch for a long period of time.

The only way to go away is Philips to release a firmware that does not have this bug (which got introduced in 140.36).

Why is so difficult for Philips to revise the changes they have done in 140.36 regarding channels, and isolate & fix the bug is beyond my comprehension.
(And my job is to develop software, I know a few things about it...)

Chrissie18
06-17-2011, 08:09 PM
If they tell me what language they are programming I might be interestend into a new 'opportunity'.
They can contact 'Profit Consulting' (no... it stands for PROFessionals in IT ;) ) in Apeldoorn... :D

Bourinatus
06-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi,

Just to inform you that HDMI random sound drop issue was definitively fixed after change of mother board of my TV 40PFL8605H 3D which was under guaranty !

With regards,

tolgaakcan
07-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Not again. It just came from the repair center. Dear Philips any advice? This problem has existed for a while. Is it software related? This sound drop issue is really annoying. Any schedule for new firmware solving that problem...

Bourinatus
07-01-2011, 01:28 PM
Not again. It just came from the repair center. Dear Philips any advice? This problem has existed for a while. Is it software related? This sound drop issue is really annoying. Any schedule for new firmware solving that problem...

On my side, sound drop issue was definitively fixed after hardware change of mother board of my TV 40PFL8605H which was delivered by repair center with FW 140.36

petasis
07-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Were the two boards the same, or a new (updated) board has been designed?

Bourinatus
07-01-2011, 05:11 PM
Were the two boards the same, or a new (updated) board has been designed?

Repair center just indicated on service note mother board of my TV 40PFL8605H was changed , nut there is no indication relative to version of new mother board...