PDA

View Full Version : Now/next functionality when changing channels

neppie
05-19-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi all,

Am I the only one missing this functionality on my 40PFL7605H/12 Philips television?

I recently switched to watching digital television from UPC (Netherlands) with a CI+ card instead of the default mediabox from UPC. I am very satisfied about my television and the quality of UPC in respect to digital television and its quality. There is one thing though that really is annoying: there is no now/next functionality when changing channels.
Most television brands and also the UPC mediabox display an information bar at the bottom of the screen with info about the chosen channel, the current program and the program that will come next. Philips however did not include this functionality.
There is a possibility to view this information (thanks to the EPG). But I need to press several buttons for that and is fullscreen, very black and switches off the channel you are on untill you exit the information.

Does anyone know if Philips is going add this feature in the future with an update (the information is already there, just a different way of showing it) or a shortcut button to access this information immediately without the necessity to press several buttons?

Thanks!

Toengel
05-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Hi,

see: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?816-Please-add-a-now-next-feature-in-TV-mode&highlight=feature

Philips does not have the licence for that feature. All customers of the 2010 and 2011 tv series want that feature, but Philips isn't listening (or the management, since every licence on every TV costs a few cents)... We customers are begging since... I don't know... long time ago...

Toengel@Alex

neppie
05-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi,

see: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/showthread.php?816-Please-add-a-now-next-feature-in-TV-mode&highlight=feature

Philips does not have the licence for that feature. All customers of the 2010 and 2011 tv series want that feature, but Philips isn't listening (or the management, since every licence on every TV costs a few cents)... We customers are begging since... I don't know... long time ago...

Toengel@Alex

Well, strange. I e-mailed Philips with this question and what did they answer? The contract with cable providers (in respect to the CI+ certification) didn't allow them to add this kind of feature. Reading your explanation, it apparently is just a case of money.
Too bad, the television is great but leaving out features like these doesn't make your brand very competitive.

Muccie
05-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Silly enough, my 2010 set HAD Now and Next and after a firmware "upgrade" this function was gone. I wrote 3 letters to Philips on this, never got an honest answer but very, very vague promises, that Philips has NOT kept !

Erikrijnders
05-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Indeed, Philips hides against third parties like Ziggo, although features like now/next when zapping has nothing to do with the Ziggo-certification. Even Ziggo states that this is a Philips-problem. So Philips has a lot of guts to mention this has to do with Ziggo an their certification.

Above that all the other manufacturers with CI+ and the Ziggo certifications DO HAVE now/next box when zapping

YES, I miss this feature too. Philips come with honest answers right here on this forum. Your customers are demanding this feature, why donot you listen to them.

neppie
05-20-2011, 10:21 AM
Silly enough, my 2010 set HAD Now and Next and after a firmware "upgrade" this function was gone. I wrote 3 letters to Philips on this, never got an honest answer but very, very vague promises, that Philips has NOT kept !

This supports my claim that it shouldn't be that difficult to include it in the next firmware update.

Indeed, Philips hides against third parties like Ziggo, although features like now/next when zapping has nothing to do with the Ziggo-certification. Even Ziggo states that this is a Philips-problem. So Philips has a lot of guts to mention this has to do with Ziggo an their certification.

Above that all the other manufacturers with CI+ and the Ziggo certifications DO HAVE now/next box when zapping

YES, I miss this feature too. Philips come with honest answers right here on this forum. Your customers are demanding this feature, why donot you listen to them.

And my provider isn't even Ziggo, it is UPC. It doesn't make sense that third parties like Ziggo and UPC prohibit Philips to add such features. If I'm not mistaken, Samsung televisions display the now/next feature on the UPC network with a CI+ card.

Believe me, as said before, I am very very satisfied with my Philips televison. Actually, I always am. They have (in my opinion) the best display. I always had Philips tv's and am pretty much pro Philips. Philips will stop manufactering them though because sales are not profitable enough. Well, leaving out features like these doesn't help those sales.

neppie
05-20-2011, 12:36 PM
It even gets worse ... I just found out that there is a better EPG available: IP-EPG but ... I can not select it because I use a CI+ card. Philips, what were you thinking!?

A CI+ card should be an enrichment for the user: less cables, no set-top box but instead ... I get less features.

Philips or my digital tv provider shouldn't be the ones making decisions for me.

daL
05-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Hi Neppie,

Similar issue here. In the bedroom we've got DVB-T + Philips pfl7605 TV.
Using the settop box we've got the Now and Next feature (via provider).
Using the card (no cables, no settopbox) there is no Now and Next feature (there is however IP-EPG).
I agree with Erik and Toengel, we've been asking since 2010. In some models there was Now and Next, but Philips seems to have removed the feature. Can you imagine? It feels like you are driving a car with a TomTom and at a certain moment in time the company decides to remove the voices ...

Cheers,
daL

Toengel
05-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Hi,

as far as I know this functionality was patented some years ago and Philips was forced to remove the feature... But now they should really think about paying the licence fee... in my opinion.

Toengel@Alex

Frank
05-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi,

if Now/Next is patented, then they should give us at least "Now". Every satellite received that I used during the last 20+ years displayed information about the current program and it's schedule when switching channels. Other TVs that I saw in the TV shop did the same.

I bought a 9705 recently because of the picture quality, but I must admit I didn't compare the basic features against other brands because I simply expected them to be there for a TV in this price range.

Regards,
Frank

petasis
05-24-2011, 03:19 PM
They try to spread rumors about "patents" and "licenses", to hide their programming inefficiency.

If now/next is patented, I want to see the patent number.

No patent number = lie.

Toengel
05-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi,

maybe it is one of the following patents:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0969662.html
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1613066.html
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1377049.html

I think there are more...

But only to say that if you didn't see something then it is a lie... :(

Toengel@Alex

petasis
05-24-2011, 07:35 PM
Hi,

maybe it is one of the following patents:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP0969662.html
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1613066.html
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1377049.html

I think there are more...

But only to say that if you didn't see something then it is a lie... :(

Toengel@Alex

These patents relate to EPG (not now/next), and are expiring on September.

If there is an issue with a patent, I want Philips to state:

1) The patent number
2) Why they haven't licensed the patent, while other manufactures have done so. Philips' TVs are not cheaper.

pistoiaa
05-25-2011, 09:10 AM
It sounds very very strange to me that there is a problem of patenting: as far as I know, all TVs, DVB-T, ... from all brands, even the less known (I have Emtec, Samsung, United, Telesystem at home), have got this now/next functionality automatically appearing when changing channels, but the 2010 Philips TV sets.
And note that indeed also these Philips TVs have the Now/Next functionality, but it does not automatically appears when changing channels: you have to push 2 (!) buttons on the remote control and, worst of all, the Now/Next is not transparent but it is shown on a totally black background, hiding the channel you were seeing.
I never saw a similar behaviour on products of other brands, so please do not tell me there is a patent... it should be a patent preventing Philips to show Now/Next automatically and on a transparent background... please...

Toengel
05-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Hi,

I also think, that Philips should find a solution and provide it to our 2010 series...

Toengel@Alex

peelaaa
06-09-2011, 04:33 PM
I had a 2009 model 40pfl8664 and it had this now/next feature, the 40fl9705 I have does not, that is not what I call progress.

Erikrijnders
06-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Ah, again consumers calling in the desert here...... Philips doesnot react here, its just a forum where we can complain over and over again but Philips does not do anything at all to do sometthing in the right direction.

Erikrijnders
06-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Well, i looked in the specs of this tv on the internet (this was the base on which I bought this tv). In the spec it says a now/next EPG functions is there. It is not there but it should be there. So Philips when are you going to make an softwaeupdate in which this feature is implemented? I bought a tv that doesnot match the specs.

Solmaja
06-21-2011, 10:55 AM
I have the same issue with my new 46PFL6606H/12

I wish Philips staff would reply to this thread.

neppie
06-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Well, i looked in the specs of this tv on the internet (this was the base on which I bought this tv). In the spec it says a now/next EPG functions is there. It is not there but it should be there. So Philips when are you going to make an softwaeupdate in which this feature is implemented? I bought a tv that doesnot match the specs.

The feature is there but it appears in a different way most people want. Now you have to press several buttons to get the information and it appears on a black background without the sound of the channel you are watching. Most people want it to appear when changing channels and most people want it at the bottom of the screen in an info bar.

I have given up hope that Philips will ever change this. Contacting the support desk only resulted in "we will pass on your feature request" and here on this forum, I hardly see any activity from official Philips support people. It looks like Philips support has been instructed to ignore this issue. Maybe I am wrong, I don't know.

My disappointment has altered to acceptance. Philips is off my recommended list however. Even though I still prefer Philips' tv screens, I can't neglect their disrespect for customers. And this is not meant for support people, this has to do with the decision makers. They spend a lot of time on Net TV, Smart TV, whatever. First make sure the base is 100% okay. Then spend time to other features. I don't care about internet on my tv, I have a notebook for that!

Toengel
07-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi,

please see that post: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?816-Please-add-a-now-next-feature-in-TV-mode&p=9103&viewfull=1#post9103

Toengel@Alex