PDA

View Full Version : 40PFL5605K/2 + 5200/12 = no DolbySound

quick-mick
05-30-2011, 05:53 PM
Hello,
I hope this is the appropriate thread. If not, you may place it in the right section.
My problem is the following:
I am using a Philips 40PFL5605K/2 LCD-TV that is connected with an SWV3566 Coax-Cable (Sound) and an Amazon HDMI-Cable (picture) to a Philips 5200/12 2.1 sound-system.
(Two cables, because the sound-system has no ARC)
I watch TV with the integrated satellite receiver of the TV and normally everything works fine. But when I change from “normal stereo” to an alternative audio-source of some TV-stations which is Dolby Digital or 5.1., the problem starts to begin. The 5200/12 simply doesn’t play the sound. It starts quite normally, than it goes bad (e.g. funny voices and terrible other sounds) and after about 5 seconds it finally stops completely. If I switch back to the integrated speakers of the TV, the Dolby/5.1 sound is ok. The only way to get sound from the 5200/12 again is to switch back to a stereo-source.
I reported the whole issue and my problems to the German-Phillips-Support, they checked the firmware versions of both devices (of course I had the newest ones) and had a look on my 5200/12 in their service center, said that it’s all ok and send it back to me. But as expected the problem remains.
Of course I already tried some things on my own too. New cables, complete reset of both devices and so one. I even checked the sound-system and Coax-cable with a LG Blu-ray-player and the sound was just fine.
I now hope that some of you may have an idea. Thanks in advance!
Maik

quick-mick
06-03-2011, 02:18 PM
no one? no thoughts? no ideas?

quick-mick
06-09-2011, 02:33 PM
over 100 views and no answer...even the experts can´t help.

I wish Phillips would put some effort to my problem. I do not even expect a solution, just an explanation why the things dont work as expected.

Toengel
06-09-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi,

try to install firmware 140.37 on your TV. What is the exact product number of your sound system?

Toengel@Alex

quick-mick
06-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Hey,

my Soundbar is a "HTS5200/12" as mentioned.
http://www.philips.de/c/21-home-entertainment/soundhub-dvd-wiedergabe-hts5200_12/prd/;jsessionid=4F045ADE6667F4BA7469D92E495762AE.app10 1-drp2?t=specifications
Or do you mean the serial number?

I also updated the firmware of the TV minutes ago, but unfortunately that did not help at all.

Toengel
06-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi,

what happens if you plug out the HDMI cable (only COAX connection)?

Toengel@Alex

quick-mick
06-09-2011, 05:45 PM
Well, as I remember I tried that before, but it works...

If I plug out the HDMI Cable from the TV, sound returns and keeps ok. If I plug it in, its away...

I turned HDMi ARC off, but without result.

I hope with this new informationen, you can give me a nice hint.

Philips
06-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Hi quick-mick,

Please check your personal messages.

Regards,

quick-mick
06-13-2011, 04:32 PM
So, what next? As mentioned the "plug the HDMI cable out" thing worked. But why? And should this be the solution? If I want to watch TV with the 2nd audio channel, I just use the Coax-cable and if I want to watch a DVD then I put it back?

As an answer to the message Phillips has my repair case number... And if its a repair thing, I´d like to get a quick answer cause they damaged my HTS 5200 (nice scratch) and I will send it back to the service center anyway tomorrow.

Philips
06-15-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi quick-mick, please get in contact with your local call center (0800 000 7520, Mo-Fr 8-20, Sa. 9-18).

Regards

quick-mick
06-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Ehm, thanks for your reply.

But really, why? I already did that. They checked the Firmwares, I packed my HTS 5200/12, send it to the Service Center, they checked it, everything fine and thats why I am here. The guy at the chat even said, that the whole thing is "normal" and that the TV and the system simply dont work together well.

If I call Philips again, whats going to happen this time? Do they know about the problem now? Or will it just be the standard process again? And If the issue is connected to the HiFi, super, in this moment its on the way to the service center cause of the damage they made.

So give me some more information. Nobody except Toangel seems to have an idea, what the problem actually is - including the support I had contact with. And I am not willing to send my things around the country for getting them back after two weeks without results.

a_Tom
06-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Just a guess but you only consider the HTS as broken, maybe the 5200 isnt the problem?
so from my point you got 2 options, 1st like you wrote, send in the HTS again 2nd contact them and see what happens...

you should give it a try.

quick-mick
06-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Thats not right... I had contact with the Support, they told me that the TV and the cables are not the problem.

They checked the HTS and said its okay. So Philips says everything is fine. I expect thats exactly what they will tell me on the phone. Or they will give me the possibility to send in my TV... Then I get it back after two weeks and -well, let me expect- no problem is detected.

My HTS is away now anyhow, because the Service Center damaged it. Maybe I will get a new one, maybe that solves everything, maybe not.

Toangel with his HDMI cable thing actually put some effort on the issue and I think a solution could be not far away. But routine checks, standard answers and the "same as always" procedures just dont seem to work in this case. Of course I will contact the Philips support again, if the HTS is back and the problem persists. But finally it will be just checking single components and if its a "work together issue" this wont help at all.

That this is a not reproducable thing makes me wonder anyhow...

quick-mick
06-29-2011, 05:07 PM
So, just a quick reply and a little push forward.

I really got a new HTS 5200/12 now. (got the money back for the old one and bought a new one) Of course the problem remains and only the HDMI trick helps. Informed the German Philips Support about this and mentioned the old case nr. and this thread. See what happens :)

quick-mick
07-09-2011, 10:00 AM
Absolutely no answer this time, except the automatic one that they will inswer in 4d. This was over 1 week ago. Support thums down!

quick-mick
08-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Just to keep this up to date:

Finally Philips opened a new case for the TV... Home repair service twice, power supply and Mainboard changed, of course nothing happened. (everybody thinks this is a software problem)

Now they have it in their service center, almost 10 days and tell me they keep checking it - just ridiculous cause they know the problem and it is easy reproducable. And of course I cant get a TV for the repair time, so the consumer is the looser again.

I really start to think about buying Philips products ever again...and about informing my lawyer.

quick-mick
08-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Service Center found out nothing after 16days, problem could not be reproduced! :D Well, they did test it with other HTS (7 and 9 series) but that is not the problem, so...

I am loosing a litte patience now, I get my TV back and Service Center says the Backoffice will call me...I hope so...It has been almost 4 months now...

quick-mick
08-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Backoffice call was...well, how shall I say? It was nothing.

They said it is a compatibility issue...nothing about the thousand mistakes they made, nothing about the time I spend, nothing about wrong information and so one. All they offered was giving my money back. But that is ridiculous cause the TV and the HTS were pretty cheap when I bought them and now I would have to spend 70€ more for the same HTS (that would not work) and even more for a HTS that might actually work.

He even said they do not have any replacement HTS, but they host an online shop on their homepage :D.

I will now inform the press, the media and my lawyer about this. This is the worst support and service I ever got in more than 20 years!

l00pu5
08-19-2011, 05:38 PM
That's very unfortunate.

Might be a stupid question after all, but - for the record - what action do you expect precisely? Since the HTS is obviously the faulty component here and you can get rid of it AND get your money back - where's the problem? The more interesting question is: what's your lawyer gonna do about it?

Maybe I didn't get your point here...

quick-mick
08-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Well, the question is not that bad.

And I am not really the one that wants to get benefits, coupons or something else. But I am somebody who thinks about justice and responsibility, so the offer is no offer...thats what they could have told me after 1 phone call, no problem, I would have had my products and I could have lived with the problem, but they said I could get rid of the problem - thats what I expected.

"If you buy a car and some parts dont really work, you want to use it but its in the garage for weeks (so you cant use what you bought) and after almost 4months (of repairs, phone calls, mails, holidays for home repair etc.) you get the offer to return the car but the prize for new cars has increased and so it is impossible for you to buy a new one without loosing even more money..."

I would have expected that Philips says they are sorry. Its their product, it was their advertising, it is original equipment and it is recommended to work together. It doesnt, they agreed that there is an error - they couldn´t find it...I had no product at all, I did all I could and now all what they are offering is the same thing Amazon would have done all the time? They could make some "special price" in their online shop for a working HTS, they could extend my warranty for the months I lost, they even could send me some free stuff as excuse, but they actually did nothing. Thats my problem, I am not the pet you throw things at, I know from many other companys the slogan "the costumer is the king"...

You maybe right, my lawyer will just check the thing for me, it should be legal what they´re doing here but the consumer obviously has no rights after buying the product and you couldn´t trust in Philips advertising or product explanations anymore...

P.s. And when you look at the internet, you see cases that are similar where Philips reacted more user friendly, changed products, even gave free Blueray-Players etc. Why not here? What have I done wrong to get these reactions?

Btw. the people on the phone handled me like a teacher does to a stupid little child, that makes me even more angry...