PDA

View Full Version : [Question] Why is the IP-EPG necessary for USB-Recording in 2011 series?

Toengel
06-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Dear Philips,

why do I need IP-EPG (and consequently internet connection) to record a broadcast with the 2011 TV series?

Why does it NOT work with the DVB-EPG? And why it is not possible to record a broadcast by programming the start and end time of a specific digital channel?

IP-EPG and DVB-EPG is tuner/country dependent in the "Philips world" - and consequently many users are NOT able to record a broadcast. Also the IP-EPG is extemly server performance dependent.

Not everybody has an internet connection.

Toengel@Alex

PS: @all - TimeShift does work without Internet connection

Freddo
06-17-2011, 10:11 PM
And why it is not possible to record a broadcast by programming the start and end time of a specific digital channel?
I think it's pretty dumb to not support this, I hope we will see it in a future firmware.

Toengel
06-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Hi,

uses who have the 6xx6 series will also have a HUGE problem. The 6xx6 series has only ONE USB PORT. So plug in your HDD, but where to plug in you WLAN stick (PTA01)??? You can only use the wired LAN, USB hub or some kind of LAN adapter (powerline, lan 2 wlan).

USABILITY = 0. Very sad :(

Toengel@Alex

Tobi
06-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Hello Philips,

why is there no reply to this question?

Philips
06-22-2011, 08:44 AM
Dear Philips,

why do I need IP-EPG (and consequently internet connection) to record a broadcast with the 2011 TV series?

Why does it NOT work with the DVB-EPG? And why it is not possible to record a broadcast by programming the start and end time of a specific digital channel?

IP-EPG and DVB-EPG is tuner/country dependent in the "Philips world" - and consequently many users are NOT able to record a broadcast. Also the IP-EPG is extemly server performance dependent.

Not everybody has an internet connection.

Toengel@Alex

PS: @all - TimeShift does work without Internet connection

Hi Alex,

As IP-EPG is fully controlled by us (Philips), we have the possibility to simply mark programs for recording. DVB-EPG is provided by broadcasters, and there are differences per broadcaster, so it is difficult to align. Indeed, a functional IP-EPG is required to use the full recording functionality.

Regards,
MaTu

Toengel
06-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Hi,

thanks for your reply. But why I'm not able to schedule a program completely independent from the IP-EPG: Channel + start time + end time?

Toengel@Alex

Tobi
06-22-2011, 09:24 AM
Sorry, but this is epic fail!
Every one else (Samsung/Panasonic/Grundig/Loewe) does USB-Recording via DVB-EPG, and they have no problems. It works really fine.

Just Philips does IP-EPG (which really sucks) to fool the customers once again.

J.R
06-22-2011, 09:37 AM
This is sad news... I have 46PFL8505H and only one USB... In other thread there was mentioned that all 2011 television from 6000 series will support timeshift. So there is no way that i can use my tv for timeshift ?

Erikrijnders
06-22-2011, 04:55 PM
Hi Alex,

As IP-EPG is fully controlled by us (Philips), we have the possibility to simply mark programs for recording. DVB-EPG is provided by broadcasters, and there are differences per broadcaster, so it is difficult to align. Indeed, a functional IP-EPG is required to use the full recording functionality.

Regards,
MaTu

A reply!!! Why doesnot Philips reply to the question why IP-EPG isnot supported in the Netherlands for the 2010-models with CI+ an Ziggo ?? I only heart non-issues like the certification... When is this solved?

Tobi
06-30-2011, 08:09 PM
and once again: the philips ip-epg is really crap and sucks. i have never seen such a slow solution (net-tv/ip-epg). you can’t expect that to your customers.

get your ass up! and switch to dvb-epg for usb-recording to save philips from a loss.

Tobi
07-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Yes Philips - ignore unsatisfied customers! that is the right way!

miro9000
09-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi Alex,

Regards,
MaTu

So you (Philips) have the controll of the IP EPG absolutely. Thatīs a great new for me. Now I know who is the responsible of the lack of several channels in Spain.
Your IP EPG is very good, but I canīt use it because of the lack of information, Please Philips, update the channels list for Spain now that you have the controll.

vyger
10-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi,

uses who have the 6xx6 series will also have a HUGE problem. The 6xx6 series has only ONE USB PORT. So plug in your HDD, but where to plug in you WLAN stick (PTA01)??? You can only use the wired LAN, USB hub or some kind of LAN adapter (powerline, lan 2 wlan).

USABILITY = 0. Very sad :(

Toengel@Alex

I have the same problems as Toengel, because I have a 32pfl6606D/77. User manual says that it's posible to connect multiple USB devices to USB tv's port using a hub, but I tried to connect PTA01 and 8gB USB stick using an selfpowered hub, and screen turn black.
I don't want to use a wired LAN. Any idea?

xMen
10-17-2011, 03:43 PM
Yes Philips - ignore unsatisfied customers! that is the right way!

Philips has not yet given a convincing answer. When Philips does not answer is because you have ignored or something to hide, not that Philips does not know.

petasis
10-17-2011, 07:00 PM
The real answer is firmware development incapability.
Or bad product design. But they won't admit that...

We are talking about something that exists in all major brands...
Since last year...

smart
10-18-2011, 09:21 AM

I would recommend using a WLAN-Bridge and connect it to the ethernet port. On my TV, there is also one USB-Port and I would like to have it free in case I want to plugin a USB stick and show the contents.

I bought: Netgear WNCE2001-100PES
http://www.amazon.de/Netgear-WNCE2001-100PES-Universal-Internet-Ethernet/dp/B003D0WZKC/ref=sr_1_2?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1318925881&sr=1-2

It costs about €36.90, which is a little less than the original Philips USB-WLAN-Adapter. So you might save € 2 or similar and it can be used with every device having a ethernet port ...
I have no problems with it and it works really fine on 42PFL7695K/02.

But this is offtopic ... Maybe it is better to open a new thread, if more discussion is necessary

vyger
10-18-2011, 12:30 PM
I have the same problems as Toengel, because I have a 32pfl6606D/77. User manual says that it's posible to connect multiple USB devices to USB tv's port using a hub, but I tried to connect PTA01 and 8gB USB stick using an selfpowered hub, and screen turn black.
I must to apologize because I tried again to connect PTA01 and 8GB stick at the same time, using an USB hub and it worked. I will try with PTA01 and keyboard next.

Mattias
01-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Hi Alex,

Regards,
MaTu

Thank you for the answer (and thanks Toengel for raising the question), but i canīt see how there should be a problem for a company like Philips to implement DVB-EPG and make it work. I have a digital box at home that uses DVB-EPG, and i have had no problem at all using it for scheduled recordings! Afaik, itīs working really good in many countries... When you read through the Philips forums you also find that not even IP-EPG is all that reliable - or even supported - in some of these countries!

I agree 100% with Toengel and other contributors to this post, that usability is zero for many Philips customers.

The answer also ignores the fact pointed out, that EPG is not needed for recordings set by timer. Timer controlled recording was even implemented on old VHS-recorders...

I helped my parents install their TV set (6066H) this weekend, and they were really looking forward to this function in their newly bought "smart TV". I was really disappointed that i could not make it work without them having to cash out for a WLAN/router and an USB hub after already buying a HDD. I was also disappointed by how complicated this simple function was to get working on a pretty much brand new Philips TV!

So, i had expected a better answer than the above to the question why Philips canīt make such a simple function work in an easy, simple way...

Ricepes
02-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Timer controlled recording was even implemented on old VHS-recorders...

In Italy: "si stava meglio quando si stava peggio"

Sorry for my poor English.
Philips was my first choice until I read about this stupid problem. It's incredible!!!
Now I must change brand.

Goodbye Philips.

Stefano.

Polderboy
02-09-2012, 06:55 AM
I hope Philips will allow soon to record with the DVB-EPG from the cable or satellite operator.

So many channels in Holland who have EPG information from the cable-operarator, but the Gracenote EPG does not know those channels. So the whole Gracenote EPG is useless for the biggest part. As I am told, the 2012 television models are able to record from the DVB-EPG, so Philips, please make it also possible for the 2011 models.

I am very dissapointed now!

gianfri
02-09-2012, 09:27 PM
If competitors do better you should change your policies or you'll never gain market shares.
I didn't know that Philips was producing TVs with so many limitations otherwise I wouldn't have bought a Philips TV.

You should give what customers want and not what you want.

ferch
03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
The answer is "We want emerge new markets. With Net Tv we have full control over each customer and can SELL context sensitive advertisement".
Yeah, thats it!

bfroehler
08-14-2012, 10:39 AM
I also have to say that programming via the (in my case, very slow) IP EPG is not a good solution. Another reason why my next TV most probably will not be a Philips (unless they decide to change it in the firmware for my TV, but that seems unlikely, since it's been like that for more than a year now).

Toengel
08-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Hi,

new TVs of the 2012 range (beginning of 6000 series) allow offline recording without IP-EPG

Toengel@Alex

bfroehler
08-14-2012, 11:14 AM
@Toengel: I don't mean to be rude, but how is this relevant to 2011 series? Do you mean that to get this "cool new feature", I should replace my not even 6 months old TV with a new one? Yeah - right ;)

Toengel
08-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Hi,

it was just for your information, that Philips learnt and changed the recording prerequsites (due to the new architecture of 6K+ devices).

Toengel@Alex

bfroehler
08-14-2012, 01:56 PM
due to the new architecture of 6K+ devices).

So you believe that it is a hardware issue, that it's not possible to use the DVB EPG on the 2011 devices for programming recordings? I can hardly believe that... but especially for what is also mentioned somewhere in this thread, here, about not being able to program recordings simply by time, this cannot be a limitation by hardware I daresay.

Saviog
08-14-2012, 02:39 PM
NO USB record is possible without internet connection?
:mad::mad:Why itsn't clearly written somewhere? Why in all the data sheet I consulted before to buy the TV any things about this?
I hope philips will soon adjust this things with a new firmware...I bought a Philips TV thinking to buy a good European country, then I buy a new hard disk to save my program, but now I discover this is not possible...last day to record a program I would like to see when I was back at home I use a simple stupid 19 euros digital TV device of a Chinese producer with a simple USB stick (amy formattation anything, just program and record)...and it is unbiliveble I cannot do with a Tv of more of 500 €...
We want EPG record avaible or otherwise just on start time and stop time...
Thanks

guilbo
08-28-2012, 11:39 AM
My 7666 allows manual, timed recordings. They can only be done from within the IP-EPG, however. Wouldn't it have been more sensible to have a recordings item in the home menu and enabled the setting and viewing of recordings in there? All you really need is a start time and end time and a channel, all of which are displayed in any EPG no matter what format they're in from the broadcaster or Philips. With a UK setup the IP-EPG isn't even available and so the box has no recording capability whatsoever, although it can timeshift. The design of the recording subsystem is therefore flawed if it depends on an EPG which may not be there. The truly bizarre thing is that even though UK customers have no access to the IP-EPG all the UK channels are represented on it so it's really hard to see why we don't have access to it. It is being controlled by Philips, not the broadcaster so why not allow its use. The whole thing is, frankly, bizarre and has clearly never been thought through.

Did any people who weren't developers actually use these TVs before they went on the market? I can honestly say that the UI in general is the most unfriendly I have ever come across. Nothing in intuitive or simple to do. I am beginning to wish I'd gone with a cheaper, more user friendly brand. It's a shame as I really want to like this TV, but it just won't let me.

JustMe
08-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Hi,

it was just for your information, that Philips learnt and changed the recording prerequsites (due to the new architecture of 6K+ devices).

Toengel@Alex

Hi,

Can somebody from Philips please confirm if it is really a hardware limitation of the pre-2012 models (and please explain what it is then) or just a matter of firmware.

If it is simply firmware, are there any plans to update the firmware of older models to allow recording without IP-EPG?

Best regards,