PDA

View Full Version : MediaConnect wired software

Bassgeye
06-20-2011, 06:13 PM
Why is it that you have to jump through hoops to get the MediaConnect software?
I have a 46PFL7705D and I have heard the dongle is free from 1 person and has a cost from others. I have also heard it doesn't work well so I don't want to buy one especially since I am hard wired in now and can get software updates.

As I understand it, I should be able to use the MediaConnect software to view video files from my computer on the Tv, correct?
How do I go about getting the software without a dongle code?

I am on a limited minutes plan on my cell phone and don't want to spend a bunch of time on hold or talking with a support person to get a code or find out I can't get one without buying a dongle.

What is the story with this? Can I get a code? Will it work wired? Is the dongle free with this Tv or do I have to buy one?

Toengel
06-20-2011, 06:27 PM
Hi,

the code is part of the PTA01 Wifi-Dongle-Set - with that code you are allowed to download the software.

But the software also works with wired LAN on my PC...

Toengel@Alex

Bassgeye
06-20-2011, 06:40 PM
But I have read that the dongle is free from some, not free from others, and not needed to get the code from others.
Which is it?

a_Tom
06-21-2011, 07:32 AM
the dongle is either within the TV Set you bought so its "free" or needs to be bought separate so its not "free".
im little confused as there is a faq for this tv, saying that your TV is ready to use this.
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=US&mid=Link_FAQs&view=aa12_view_partial.html&session=20110621032518_78.109.14.131&list=aa12_list_partial.html&slg=AEN&ctn=46PFL7705D/F7&dct=FAQ&refnr=0083542&faqview=1

i guess it would be the best to get in contact with the US Support to get a clear overview.

Bassgeye
06-21-2011, 04:39 PM
No, it was in a review where the person said it didn't come with this model but he called and they sent him one. On this site it is saying that the PTA01/01 isn't even for sale in the U.S.! How the heck am I supposed to get this software?!
I bought this tv for the features and that I could use the MediaConnect software. Why the heck does it say I can use this free software on a hard wired system then won't provide a download? I'm about to fire off a few dozen horrible reviews of this Tv.

Bassgeye
06-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Issue resolved. It took only 5 minutes on the phone total. Extremely fast for a support line and he actually spoke real english. The dongle is being sent UPS and is totally free. No charge whatsoever. If the WIFI doesn't work very well (TV is in another room from my router) I can just use the hard wired connection and software. IDK why it couldn't all be done by e-mail in the 1st place but ok. Good reviews going out on the product now and kudos to the Philips support crew!

Bassgeye
07-02-2011, 07:35 PM
Got my free dongle today, and a code to download the MediaConnect software that has been used so many times it won't allow me to download the freaking software! What is wrong with you people!!!!!!!!!!!!

Toengel
07-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Hi,

then call you local Philips support and ask for a new code...

Toengel@Alex

Bassgeye
07-02-2011, 09:59 PM
Yeah, like I didn't know I was going to have to call. I spent another 1/2 hour going through 5 more codes!
The point is, what is the sense of a code in the 1st place? In the 2nd place why send out hardware with a software code that won't be good? I see absolutely NO POINT in restricting downloads for this software. It is particular to Philips products and only serves to peeve the buyers.