PDA

View Full Version : No sound on tv

bbrincat
07-13-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi
Does anyone encountred this type of problem. I have recently bought a Philips tv 46 inch, i connected my laptop HP pavilion dv7 1000ea via an hdmi cable to the tv and with all the settings and connections correct. I have picture but no sound from the tv. Recently i did try my laptop to another type of tv and it worked good . Can anyone help me solve this problem ?

Toengel
07-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi,

first please state your TV model and firmware and also your PC OS (I assume windows)...

Did you setup your windows to use HDMI-Sound. Check that please...

Toengel@Alex

pistoiaa
07-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Hi Toengel,
probably bbrincat already setup his windows to use HDMI-Sound, else it would not have worked on the other type of TV.

My question for him, instead, is: did you connect the laptop from HDMI port to HDMI port on TV via HDMI cable? Or did you use a DVI port on the laptop with an adaptor DVI-HDMI? It seems that HP pavilion dv7 1000ea has got an HDMI port, but just to be sure...

Toengel
07-14-2011, 05:01 PM
Hi,

good point, pistoiaa...

Toengel@Alex

Philips - Thomas
07-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Topic has been moved to the right Subsection.

sngbcn
07-15-2011, 08:32 AM
hi pistoiia and toengel

actually you are both right. Actually that the PC audio works with a TV via hdmi and not with the other is not a good cross test in this case.

I have also a laptop and it "remembers" the audio output selection depending to which TV I connect it to. So maybe the first time you connect your PC to a TV, you will have to check the audio output selection is directed to HDMI and select it a "Default" so next time you connect to the TV it will work right away.

I tried to insert image but for some reason it doesn't work as it should so I leave a link to the HP support page where they explain how to do this audio output selection for different possible HDMI audio out interfaces.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01059842&cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en

Regards,

bbrincat
07-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Hi

Thanks to all of you who replied to my post . I have entered in my video card settings (nvidia )and there i found that the card is not detecting the hdcp on my Philips tv, where when i searched on the tv it supports the hdcp . Can anyone help me with this hdcp (high-bandwith digital content protection)

Regards
bbrincat

Philips - Thomas
07-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Hi bbrincat,

please make sure that you use the latest drivers for your graphics card.
There has been some trouble with older drivers but this should have been solved now with the latest versions.

Regards
Thomas

sngbcn
07-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Hi bbrincat,

Did you check the guide I posted? HDCP doesn't cause this behaviour, if you really had an HDCP issue you would not have any picture either. Take note that PC content is not HDCP protected, so you can playback HD multimedia files even on a non HDCP compliant monitor.

Anyway, as Thomas says do update the g-card drivers ;)

Regards,

a_Tom
07-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Hi

Thanks to all of you who replied to my post . I have entered in my video card settings (nvidia )and there i found that the card is not detecting the hdcp on my Philips tv, where when i searched on the tv it supports the hdcp . Can anyone help me with this hdcp (high-bandwith digital content protection)

Regards
bbrincat

Did you had any success by updating the Drivers?

timanfiya
07-26-2011, 01:09 AM
Hi all. I was interested to find this post as I have had the same problem but with a different TV and laptop. And I have had great difficulty finding any relevant information or help.

I have a phillips 47 inch lcd which works absolutely fine with both video and audio when I connect my laptop via hdmi (hdmi to hdmi). Yet when I try to connect to my girlfriends TV I get video but no audio (her TV is an AOC L42W781HS). My laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio x500 with Nvidia GTS250m and Nvidia high def audio version 1.0.10.0.

I have checked my sound sttings and when connected it shows that the sound default changes to hdmi as it does with my phillips so the problem isn't selecting the right output. Smart audio also show the sound going through HDMI.

I too thought it was a HDCP issue as windows properties shows the AOC tv's speakers as being non compliant. Yet Nvidia control panel shows both the audio and video on both tv and graphics card as being compatible. And the Tv instructions spec it as being hdcp compliant. Not sure why windows sound settings shows it as non compliant though. When I check on my phillips tv windows sound properties shows that as being compliant. I know sngbcn says it cant be this but that is the only variable I can find so far.

I did think the TV was faulty as a panasonic hd dvd player would also show video but no audio via hdmi on th AOC. but then I connected a PS3 and a hd sky box which both outputted fine on the AOC. So what could cause the laptop and a dvd player not to output the sound???

I have just seen another forum which someone had similar (not exact same as thiers didn't work on any tv) issues and what worked for them was to select spdif as default. I'm sure I have already tried this without success but will try again when I'm next at her house. I can't see it working for me as when I connect the sound auto defeaults from laptop speakers to hdmi.

I hope someone can help us figure out this issue.

timanfiya
07-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Still looking for info on this issue and there is a suggestion that it may be because the TV not giving out audio may only accept 2 channel pcm audio and that the laptop may be giving out different. I'm not sure how to test this though as I dont know how to force the laptop into outputting 2 channel pcm audio. Any ideas?

a_Tom
08-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Still looking for info on this issue and there is a suggestion that it may be because the TV not giving out audio may only accept 2 channel pcm audio and that the laptop may be giving out different. I'm not sure how to test this though as I dont know how to force the laptop into outputting 2 channel pcm audio. Any ideas?

if still neccessary, contact the laptop vendor and ask for help on the config

andriuspt
08-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi everybody,
I am having the same problem with getting audio to work via the HDMI cable connected my LapTop to my TV. LapTop HDMI --> TV HDMI. Video works excellently but I can't get audio to come out of the TV. It is interesting that I used to have the sound earlier some times and it was not so easy to achieve. It apiered after doing number of resets of the notebook or TV, or both for several times and changing playback devices under "Sound" and I can not say what was helpful. Now it is impossible no matter how hard I try. And I have tried a lot of things. Installing, reinstalling drivers, reseting to default my TV and computer settings, updating TV's latest firmware, restarting computer and TV with HDMI cable pluged in or not pluged in a lot of times, tried to reset computer and TV switching diferent windows sound properties even uninstalled all audio under "Sound, video and game controllers" and uninstaled "NVIDIA Geforce 8400M GS" under "Display adapters" in the Device Manager and reinstaled back, tried to find answers on various forums and support sites. NOTHING... I have spent hudge amount of time on it. And as I can see I'am not alone with this problem. Thousands of people have the same or similar problem. But there is no concrete help. When looking at the driver version of NVIDIA graphic card it may seem it is out of date (10/3/2009), but when I downloaded the latest version (8/3/2011) I can not get even video on my TV. So I got back to the older version. I asked NVIDIA customer care for help. Above all that I mentioned they asked to check the BIOS options of the laptop for the changes that may be needed for the audio to be routed over HDMI on the laptop. I tried to check BIOS as they told. But there are nothing like audio options there in my laptop. So it is impossible to check anything for HDMI audio. After all these mostly computer works I started suspecting Philips TV. Can it be that somehow Philips TV's are guilty in these issues? Anybody have any more ideas, advices? I've lost all my hopes.

I am using:
HP Pavilion DV6645en Notebook/AMDTurion 64x2/TL-58/1.9Ghz/15.4"/2GB/160GB/GeForce8400M/ WinVista HomePremium/Service Pack2/32-bit OS

Philips LED TV 32PFL9705H 81 cm (32") Full HD 1080p digital TV with Ambilight Spectra 3 and Perfect Pixel HD Engine

drunkenm
09-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Hi!

I have a similar problem with my setup. I have a Philips 46PFL5605H/12 LCD TV (Firmware Version: 000.140.039.000, 2011-07-27). I want to hook up my PC to the TV, but I get no sound no matter what I try (the picture quality is perfect).

I have an MSI N9800GTX+ 2D1G (nVidia 9800 GTX+ 1GB), which has 2 DVI connectors. I'm using one for my regular monitor (Samsung 2232BW), and the other one is connected with a DVI-to-HDMI converter to the TV. I've connected my mainboard's (ASUS M3A78) internal S/PDIF Digital Out to the graphics card's "Audio In" and enabled the "HDMI - HTDV (Audio Enabled)" option in the nVidia Control Panel (Driver Version 275.33). I also set my sound card driver (VIA HD Audio 8.7.00.30) to HDMI Digital Out.

But unfortunately I get no sound on my TV as soon as I set the VIA (eg. the Windows Sound Output) to HDMI Digital Out.

Does anybody know a solution? I have been trying to set up my system for hours now.

Oh, and BTW I have Windows Vista Business SP2 on my PC.

a_Tom
09-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Normally DVI connections are not made to transport Audio Informations (DVI=Digital Video Interface)
There are some known ways to transport also Audio via DVI (via the 4 Pins on the side) but this is even for the Grafic Card Manufacturers not very common.
So the probelm could be the DVI-HDMI converter or the DVI Cable itself...
the best is to Disable Audio on the Graphics Card (at best directly on the mainboard or Graphics Driver if possible) and make a seperate Connection from PC to TV, you can use the connector besides the HDMI Inputs on the TV

pistoiaa
09-08-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't know if "my" fix can apply to your problems, but I had a similar problem, now solved. See this post:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?1405-HDMI-with-separate-audio-input&p=7759&viewfull=1#post7759

drunkenm
09-08-2011, 04:56 PM
Normally DVI connections are not made to transport Audio Informations (DVI=Digital Video Interface)
There are some known ways to transport also Audio via DVI (via the 4 Pins on the side) but this is even for the Grafic Card Manufacturers not very common.
So the probelm could be the DVI-HDMI converter or the DVI Cable itself...
the best is to Disable Audio on the Graphics Card (at best directly on the mainboard or Graphics Driver if possible) and make a seperate Connection from PC to TV, you can use the connector besides the HDMI Inputs on the TV

Hi!

Of course, I know, that DVI is made for video only. BUT! Since the GeForce 8 Series ALL nVidia Card support this method. That's why they have the 2-Pin Digital Audio In connector on their side. And also, that's why I have the Option "HDMI -> HDTV (Audio Enabled)" in the nVidia Control Panel.

I already have waaay too many cables going around in my flat, if I can, I'll do it with 1 cable.

drunkenm
09-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't know if "my" fix can apply to your problems, but I had a similar problem, now solved. See this post:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?1405-HDMI-with-separate-audio-input&p=7759&viewfull=1#post7759

Hi!

Thanks for the link! I already wanted to try the EDID Spoofing, but I only found how to do it by editing the nv_disp.inf *before* installing the GeForce drivers. Unfortunately after v200.00 (or something like that), nVidia changed the nv_disp.inf file and it no longer contained the EDID line. But thanks to your link I got to http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=99932 - which shows how to edit the EDID directy in regedit :D

I'll definitely try this one out.

a_Tom
09-08-2011, 05:01 PM
i know that they have it but who will asure you that the dvi > hdmi converter undertsnads this signal?
like i wrtote, there is a reason why not all manufacturers have it this way but using hdmi instead... ;)

drunkenm
09-08-2011, 08:42 PM
i know that they have it but who will asure you that the dvi > hdmi converter undertsnads this signal?
like i wrtote, there is a reason why not all manufacturers have it this way but using hdmi instead... ;)

Hi!

Yeah, you may be right. That's the only piece of the puzzle I didn't rule out yet. The DVI->HDMI converter is the one I got with my video card, so I hoped that it would also work including the sound. Maybe MSI put in a converter incompatible with the card? (And by incompatible I mean that it can't carry the sound, while the card would be capable of patching it through.)

Anyway, I've tried almost everything possible for the last 2 hours, but still no luck. The EDID spoof works, as far as the nVidia Control Panel goes. It sees my TV no longer as "HDMI->HDTV (Audio Enabled)", but only as "DVI - PC Display". Unfortunately still no sound. (On a side note, I have no longer the option of choosing 60Hz for the TV, but only 50Hz with the EDID spoof.)

Also, I've noticed, that I can't even use the "Audio In" on the back of the TV if I connect the PC without the EDID spoof (eg. I'm using the "HDMI->HDTV (Audio Disabled)" function in the NV CP). The only way I can get a sound out from my TV is with the EDID spoof and putting a separate jack-jack cable between the PC's Audio Out and the TV's Audio In. :(

What a shame for 2000 USD worth of equipment (the PC and the TV together)...

EDIT: how can I check if the DVI->HDMI converter is capable of transmitting sound? Somewhere I read, that this method uses 4 pins of one side of the DVI part.

a_Tom
09-09-2011, 10:13 AM
the TV will not allow audio via a seperate line as long as the TV will receive some audio signals via hdmi, no matter if this is only white bnoise or real sound. this is related to HDMI and HDCP.
The porblem in here is that nvidia passes through sound via the 4 pins on the side but as this was never intended on the creation of the dvi connector and standard, the dvi > hdmi converter will convert the sound but there is no one who will asure you that the coverter will do it in a way the hdmi standard is excpecting this. so it all comes down to: yes nvidia has this way but this is besides all standards in the industry so noone can say that it works or tell you how it might can be fixed.
the only thing you can do is to disable audio via graphics card either on the pc mainboard or in the graphics driver directly, so you can use the connection witout edid spoofing and connect a seperate audio line from pc to TV

drunkenm
09-09-2011, 05:43 PM
@a_Tom: Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I already tried to disable the audio on the graphics card, but the TV still won't accept another source for sound:

... I can't even use the "Audio In" on the back of the TV if I connect the PC without the EDID spoof (eg. I'm using the "HDMI->HDTV (Audio Disabled)" function in the NV CP). The only way I can get a sound out from my TV is with the EDID spoof and putting a separate jack-jack cable between the PC's Audio Out and the TV's Audio In.

Can I set the TV maybe somehow to accept another sound source (eg. the Audio In) while using HDMI? (Even if the HDMI has "sound" on it.)

drunkenm
09-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Okay, I've given up. I've tried everything and there's still no sound from the TV. I even reinstalled my PC (Win7 Ultimate instead of WinVista Business). Nothing works.

I've decided to buy a Radeon HD 6850, it has a built in soundchip with 7.1 channel support and throw the 9800GTX+ ou the window. I was a big nVidia fan all these years, but I'll never buy an nVidia product again.

Mmedina
12-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Hello,

Just bought a brand new 37PFL6606H/12.

After three days trying to have the sound working properly via lots of experiments, I determined this MAJOR PROBLEM:
Separate audio input via Audio In DVI/VGA works ONLY when the VGA input is selected.
As soon as another selection is made (TV, HDMI, whatever) the sound input is cut.

As a result, it is IMPOSSIBLE to have the sound working when using a DVI to HDMI adapter.

Considering the number of times this problem is raised on the Forum, Philips MUST work to have the sound working "plug&play".
At any rate, the user MUST be able to select whatever audio input he/she wants.

pistoiaa
12-20-2011, 09:17 AM
After three days trying to have the sound working properly via lots of experiments, I determined this MAJOR PROBLEM:
Separate audio input via Audio In DVI/VGA works ONLY when the VGA input is selected.
As soon as another selection is made (TV, HDMI, whatever) the sound input is cut.

As a result, it is IMPOSSIBLE to have the sound working when using a DVI to HDMI adapter.

Considering the number of times this problem is raised on the Forum, Philips MUST work to have the sound working "plug&play".
At any rate, the user MUST be able to select whatever audio input he/she wants.

I've got the 37PFL7605H/12, so it is a different model than yours (2010 vs. 2011 TV set), but I am quite sure my results are valid for your model too.
In the past I believed, just like you now, that separated audio input via Audio In DVI/VGA worked only when the VGA input is selected, but then I discovered that my problem was caused by a Nvidia video card issue.
Now I am able to hear the PC audio on my TV with the following connections:
- DVI out from the PC, DVI cable, DVI/HDMI adapter, HDMI1 in to the TV
- audio out from the PC, 3,5 mm jack audio cable, Audio In VGA/DVI to the TV
I found the fix, consisting in spoofing the EDID, on the Internet. If you are interested, see the link in my post #17 in this thread).

Said that, I agree with you that Philips could add to their firmware a feature to select whatever audio input the Customer wants.

Mmedina
12-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Now I am able to hear the PC audio on my TV with the following connections:
- DVI out from the PC, DVI cable, DVI/HDMI adapter, HDMI1 in to the TV
- audio out from the PC, 3,5 mm jack audio cable, Audio In VGA/DVI to the TV
I found the fix, consisting in spoofing the EDID, on the Internet. If you are interested, see the link in my post #17

Hi pistoiaa,

Thanks for the help offered. I did see that post you mentioned, however the solution is too complex for me to care for... and I don't use an NVidia card but a Radeon HD 5770.

I achieved some promising advances yesterday, by using the same setting you described:
a DVI/HDMI adapter instead if a direct HDMI cable from the HDMI output, plus a separate audio cable.
This time I do get the audio... but only when booting under MacOSX. When booting under WindowsXP (SP3), no audio. So maybe with months of investigation I shall be able to get the audio under Windows... which is mandatory to play Blu-ray from the computer.

Anyway the TV behaves erratically when hooked to computers. I tested an old PowerMac 7600 with a VGA adapter, and it displays a superb picture (1240x1024) with the sound from the Audio In VGA/DVI.
The same Radeon HD 5770 does NOT display video when hooked with a VGA adapter (and no sound neither, as the TV CUTS the sound when there is no video signal...)

Instead of trying to build an "intelligent" system, Philips should TRASH all those checks, such as "if(no video signal) then(cut audio)" and let the user select what one wants. Well, IF the hardware allows it???

Mmedina
12-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Look here for the details:
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?2353-Audio-problem-when-switching-on-HDMI-interfaces&p=20868&viewfull=1#post20868