PDA

View Full Version : USB Recording: your experiences

Philips - Thomas
07-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Hi

The 2k11 TV sets are out and, together with the latest software releases, you will be able to use the USB Recording feature on our 6-/7-/8- and 9000 series TV's.

Please share all your experiences with USB Recording in this thread.

Thank you.

Requirements for USB Recording:
- USB Recording is possible on 2k11 TV's from 6000 Series onwards (xxPFL6xx6). Note: latest firmware has to be installed.
- USB Recording requires a USB stick (or external HDD) with min. 32 GB memory. Note: as the USB stick/drive will be formated, all data on it will be lost.
- Saved Recordings will be encrypted and can only be decrypted with the same TV, so sharing movies will NOT be possible.
- USB Scheduled Recording requires an active internet connection on the TV (wired or wireless).

Some Notes:
on Timeshift, the TV writes informations to the USB Stick.
At the same Time informations will be send from the Stick so its read/write at the same Time.
It can happen that on some USB Sticks with high Latency the Picture will judder while using Timeshift.
In this Case please use a different USB Stick or Harddrive.

Regards
Thomas

Toengel
07-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi,

please give us additionally the option to schedule a recording with the DVB-EPG and manually by programming start time, end time, channel... I'm not the only one who wants that. See: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?1786-Question-Why-is-the-IP-EPG-necessary-for-USB-Recording-in-2011-series

USB recording with 6000 series is very hard due to only ONE USB PORT. So you should state explicitly if one can use a USB hub for the WLAN dongle + USB-HDD (of course one can use wired LAN) or a WLAN-LAN-Bridge...

Toengel@Alex

safemode.m
07-18-2011, 11:48 AM
hi
i have a 40pfl9715 and i'm using satellite to watch to tv. i dont know how to record tv programs on usb. please help me

Toengel
07-18-2011, 11:54 AM
hi
i have a 40pfl9715 and i'm using satellite to watch to tv. i dont know how to record tv programs on usb. please help me

Hi,

you can't record broadcasts with your TV - it does only work with 2011 models (xxPFLxxx6x/xx).

Toengel@Alex

Philips - Thomas
07-18-2011, 12:17 PM
hi

Hi

USB recording is available only for the PFLxxx6 TVs (2011). The 9715 came out 2011 but is a 2010 TV.
To be able to record TV content via Sat the best is to use an external Sat Receiver with build in PVR.
Yes, you need an extra device but this give you also the ability to watch a certain program and record a different one.

Regards
Thomas

exitido
07-26-2011, 06:49 PM
you cant record into usb, because philips want that you renew your tv every year or buy a new box media player.
Dont worry, samsung dont have this problem, because samsung is updating to a new firmwares tvs from 2010.

Toengel
07-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Hi,

@exitido
this forum is to help people - not to blame Philips in every post... ;-)

Toengel@Alex

AndresG
08-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Toengel.. Of course this forum is to help people.. and a way of helping people is showing then what 'real world' is .... Showing what is not explained in shops or publicity... that Philips software and firmwares are worst than awful.. that you buy a brand new TV, and new features are only implemented and updated in last tv's.. So.. what exitido is saying is totally true and I agree with him.

My advice for everyone: if you want a tv, only a TV, philips is great; But totally forget about anything else added as extra: better buy another brand with good extras or additional values, or buy a external media player. You will be less frustrated.

petasis
08-08-2011, 09:04 AM
I also agree. Buy a television for picture quality, and let everything else handled by a media player. After all, there is no TV that can match a dedicated media player in functionalities. They use chipsets with several tenths of codecs, and not a few codecs found in TVs...

The Korean brands have more features in multimedia playing, but again they don't match a media player...

iestyn99
08-14-2011, 06:42 PM
I have the 37PFL7606H/12 linked to a LaCie Minimus HDD. I use this setup mainly for time-shifting and it works just fine most of the times. When pressing "play" after pausing a programme I usually get 1-2 secs black screen and then the programme continues as expected. Sometimes it just continues from the frozen picture on the screen, which of course looks even neater. However about 20% of the times the black screen stays and it is impossible to continue watching where I paused. I can only press "stop" to take me back to live watching, thus missing part of the programme. Very annoying when watching detectives!
Anybody recognize this?

[The LaCie Minimus has a stated writing/reading speed of 60 MB/s (usb 2.0) or 600 MB/s (usb 3.0), so the speed shouldn't be the problem. It is connected to the tv with 1,2 meter long a 3.0 usb cable (though the tv only supports usb 2.0, but that shouldn't be a problem I suppose).]

Philips - Thomas
08-22-2011, 07:24 AM
Hi iestyn99,

Please duoble-check this behavior also with an USB Stick or another HDD to see if it is the same there.

Thanks
Thomas

Verklagekasper
09-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Hi,

I have some trouble making recordings of digital channels (decrypted by the CI+ module of my 42PFL7486K).
The problem is that recordings made in standby mode are usually marked as "expired", and they cannot be watched.
However, when making two subsequent recordings on the same channel, ie. when I do not just record the program I want to watch but also the preceding program, then only the first recording is "expired", while the second recording is ok.
Telling by this behavior, it seems that the recording of a program starts before decryption has started, and that programs recorded this way cannot be watched. Only if decryption has already been started by making a recording of the preceding program on the same channel, the recording will be fine.
My request would be that the recording of a program is delayed until the decryption has begun, either automatically or by a fixed amount of time that can be adjusted by the user.

Cheers,
Burkhard

PS Not a complaint but praise: I'm happy that, with the last firmware update, the maximum "fast forward" speed has been increased. It used to be only about 10x, now it's about 60x. This is highly appreciated.

jgl
09-13-2011, 05:12 PM
Hello, I have an 40PFL8606H with 014.038.005 FW + LaCie Mobile Disk 160 GB. USB recording with no issues.
To improve:
- The option to schedule a recording with the DVB-EPG, as commented before. With DVB-EPG you can record a program but after you cannot watch that recording, no records list, must switch to IP-EPG again.
- The ability to manage a record in course as the timeshift does: pause, rewind, etc. At this point is not possible to make any of this operations during recording.

Thanks

Fokko
09-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi, I have a 32PFL7406H with 010.105 firmware. I have a Western Digital 500Gb USB harddisk attached and a wired internet connection. I use a Ziggo CI+ module. Recording works sometimes, but most of the times (80-90% of the cases) :( I get error messages like "expired" or something like "failed". Currently this is not a workable solution, so it would be nice if a new firmware update provides improvements in this area. Moreover it would be nice if apps like TuneIn are available when the TV is recording a TV show.

Thanks,
Fokko

Verklagekasper
09-17-2011, 02:29 AM
Hi,

I have a 32PFL7486K/02 TV and a CI+ module from Unitymedia in Germany.
When trying to program a recording of a certain show of the channels RTL or RTL II by the IP-EPG, I receive a warning-messagebox claiming that the channels were analogue, and I cannot program a recording. I can only program a recording manually, ie. by hitting the options button on the remote control and do a manual recording by selecting the channel and time. So far, I only have this problem on those two channels. Other channels seem fine.

Cheers,
Burkhard

Verklagekasper
09-17-2011, 03:02 AM
Hi,

I have a 32PFL7486K/02 TV and a CI+ module from Unitymedia in Germany, using the IP-EPG through a wireless internet connection.
I've made about 20 recordings so far, but the last two failed at playback. Example:
The playback freezes at 03:06. Hitting the backward or forward button helps nothing, the image remains frozen. When hitting the back-button on the remote control, the IP-EPG opens again. Usually, the tiny window on the left would show now the current TV channel. Instead, it displays the frozen frame of the video. In this state, other recordings cannot be played, either. When playing another recording, "03:06" is displayed as starting time, otherwise the screen is black. Pressing the forward or back button doesn't have an effect. To get out of this state and make at least the other recordings work again, I have to switch to Net-TV and back to IP-EPG again, or I have to turn off the TV for a while and turn it on again.

Cheers,
Burkhard

Toengel
09-17-2011, 08:29 AM
Hi,

which firmware are you using?

Toengel@Alex

Verklagekasper
09-17-2011, 09:42 AM
I have the latest firmware, ie. 000.010.105.000.

Toengel
09-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi,

the two recording that don't work - did you record the broadcasts with an older firmware? Maybe this could be a reason, since with 10.105 some improvements were made regarding usb recording...

Toengel@Alex

Verklagekasper
09-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi, I updated to 000.010.105.000 on September 2nd. All issues I have reported so far occured with that version.
Additional info about the lockups:
1) Both recordings were made in standby mode on Discovery Channel, programmed non-manually through the IP-EPG.
2) I tried to playback the recordings several times, the lockups happened always at about the same time. I could not get past that point, neither by normal playing nor by fast forward. Like the files were corrupted from then.
2) This may be a mere coincidence, but I remember that the lockups of the two recordings both occured when one TV show ended, right before another started. In both cases, the lockup happened during the last minute of a TV show, at the very end when the ending titles have been shown. The first recording consisted of two complete, subsequent shows - the playback lockuped at the ending titles of the first show, after about 1 hour. The second recording consisted of the last 3-4 minutes of a show and another complete show - playback lockuped at the ending titles of the first show after about 3 minutes.

Nettle
09-18-2011, 05:48 PM
you cant record into usb, because philips want that you renew your tv every year or buy a new box media player.
Dont worry, samsung dont have this problem, because samsung is updating to a new firmwares tvs from 2010.

I'm 100% agree with you. It's a shame!

Nettle
09-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Toengel.. Of course this forum is to help people.. and a way of helping people is showing then what 'real world' is .... Showing what is not explained in shops or publicity... that Philips software and firmwares are worst than awful.. that you buy a brand new TV, and new features are only implemented and updated in last tv's.. So.. what exitido is saying is totally true and I agree with him.

Me too: you can't pay more than 1.200 € (almost 9 months ago in my case) and discover now that no retrofit kits or upgradable processes are planned for your TV (wireless keyboard, USB recording, etc...). Is not acceptable to create something like NET TV without the possibility to interact/typing adresses only with the vistual keyboard or the remote control.

And I don't want to pay money for a Iphone or an android phone just use it as a remote control.

Simply Shameful.

This is the best way to loose the customers soon and receive bad feedbacks for future purchasers...they'll buy something else.

Clarinet
09-20-2011, 05:54 PM
I have 40PFL8606T/12 connected to a Philips SPD5110 (a few years old now). Our TV area is now fully DVB with the analogue signal turned off so the Programme Guide is set to update from the internet (not the broadcaster). I bought this TV to take full advantage of HD terrestrial broadcasts using DVB-T2.

So my experience is excellent for timeshift. We have used this quite a bit when someone in the room talks over an important piece of dialogue or we want to replay something. The picture is clear and there are no technical problems. The remote control makes this particularly easy to use and all the family think this is a feature worth having.

However, USB recording is not available. The Philips Helpdesk in the UK say it is because of incompatibility between the way the Programme Guide is set up and the TV functionality. This really isn't acceptable and there is no indication when this will be remedied. To be honest, I think this would be a significant feature if it were to work in the UK - I am generally very much in favour of Philips products but I just wish they would once again fully embrace the UK TV market.

This isn't a moan but a comment made in the hope USB recording will be available on my TV very soon.

a_Tom
09-20-2011, 05:57 PM
I have 40PFL8606T/12 connected to a Philips SPD5110 (a few years old now). Our TV area is now fully DVB with the analogue signal turned off so the Programme Guide is set to update from the internet (not the broadcaster). I bought this TV to take full advantage of HD terrestrial broadcasts using DVB-T2.

So my experience is excellent for timeshift. We have used this quite a bit when someone in the room talks over an important piece of dialogue or we want to replay something. The picture is clear and there are no technical problems. The remote control makes this particularly easy to use and all the family think this is a feature worth having.

However, USB recording is not available. The Philips Helpdesk in the UK say it is because of incompatibility between the way the Programme Guide is set up and the TV functionality. This really isn't acceptable and there is no indication when this will be remedied. To be honest, I think this would be a significant feature if it were to work in the UK - I am generally very much in favour of Philips products but I just wish they would once again fully embrace the UK TV market.

This isn't a moan but a comment made in the hope USB recording will be available on my TV very soon.

please, can you be more specific... what exactly did the support tell you?!?

Clarinet
09-20-2011, 06:58 PM
They said the Freeview (DVB-T platform in the UK) Programme Guide is not set up to work with the USB Recording function because it does not carry the correct data. E.g. the 8 day Programme Guide is shown in full with programme details but when you press the Option key on the Remote Control there is no Record option. I think there should be an 'R' against the programme details if it is recordable - but it isn't there. The Helpdesk put the blame on Freeview and suggested Freeview would issue a compatible Programme Guide in the future. All this is a bit vague, I'm afraid.

Nettle
09-20-2011, 07:10 PM
All this is a bit vague, I'm afraid.

Me too :(

a_Tom
09-21-2011, 09:57 AM
the latest software is installed?!?

Clarinet
09-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Yes, it's all up to date.

a_Tom
09-21-2011, 12:24 PM
okay last thing, are you set up to ip-epg or dvb-epg?
2nd last thing :D
is record unavailable to any channel or are there channels which do work with usb recording?

Clarinet
09-21-2011, 10:51 PM
It's set up for ip-epg and record is unavailable on all channels.

Verklagekasper
09-29-2011, 10:33 PM
Problem: When spontaneously trying to record a program that has started at a time before 0:00am and ends after 0:00am, and the current time is after 0:00am, the dialog where you set the recording time fails to accept any input. It claims "Time is not correct" for the start time, no matter what start time you choose.
Example: The program runs from 23:30 till 1:00. If you try to start the recording at 0:10, you're told that the start time 0:10 is not correct. Any start time you enter is said to be incorrect, even 23:30.
Workaround: Press the options button and select "Manual Record". That dialog will accept any start time.

TV: 32PFL7486K/02, Software: 000.010.105.000

Verklagekasper
10-02-2011, 02:00 PM
2) This may be a mere coincidence, but I remember that the lockups of the two recordings both occured when one TV show ended, right before another started. In both cases, the lockup happened during the last minute of a TV show, at the very end when the ending titles have been shown.
It happend again. For the third time, the playback of a recording of the Discovery Channel freezes during the end titles of a program. Could it be that Discovery Channel sends some odd signal at the end of a show that confuses the recorder software?

TV: 32PFL7486K/02 with CI+ module, Software: 000.010.105.000

Philips - Thomas
10-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi Verklagekasper,

we are currently investigating the Issue.
Please have a look to your Inbox.

Thanks
Thomas

Haubada
10-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi,

i have an 42pfl7666K/02.
Why is it not possible to save the timeshift data permanently after recording?
Just make a question save oder not save, so I can store the data.
It is a litte bit unconfortable to search first in the electric program guide
(and you also need to be online?!?! why?!?!). If I want to record quickly the
timeshift option with save option would be the best!

In addition I would prefer a ICON in the main menu for playing the stored files.
Isnīt this a good idea?

Regards,

Haubada
10-13-2011, 09:18 AM
Hi,

yesterday I tried to install a USB Stick with 32 GB, but the software didnīt allow me to format the Stick on my 42pfl7666k.
Has someone tried a USB Stick?
Is only timeshift available or can I record either?
Is it possible to format it in another way?

Regards,

a_Tom
10-13-2011, 11:00 AM
an usb stick, claimed it has 32GB does not have the capacity of 32GB (partition tables etc) you will see that if you look on the "available space" f.e. in WIndows or any other OS.
you need a Device where 32GB are realy available

Shulaf
10-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi Philips,

Could you please make simultaneous recording & viewing another channel possible no dual tuner is needed as i saw this feature on set top boxes with a single tuner.
Kind Regards,

Shulaf

Toengel
10-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Hi,

this should only work in the same DVB bouquet. But it should be possible to switch to a HDMI device... this is my "feature request"... ;-)

Toengel@Alex

Shulaf
10-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Yes this would also be a good idea then it will be possible to connect an external stb to watch and record at the same time.

jgl
10-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Hi,

this should only work in the same DVB bouquet. But it should be possible to switch to a HDMI device... this is my "feature request"... ;-)

Toengel@Alex

I completely agree with you, switching to HDMI during recording would be a great feature. Also the same timeshift like features: stop, rewind, progress bar, etc.

Kennedy01
11-06-2011, 05:21 PM
jupp, using HDMI while recording is a must have. One more thing that concerns me: A connected HDD obviously is recording all the time a never gets in stand-by, due to the instant replay-function. This uses power and badly influences the lifetime of the HDD. Is there a way to have the HDD in stand-by and just have it running when you really want to record something (besids unplugging it)? There really should be an option to set the drive in stand-by!!!

Kennedy01
11-08-2011, 12:11 AM
...and it gets even worse: when recording while tv is in standby the ci-slot is not activated! this means you can not record anything if the tv is not turned on, except for free-tv. hello? anybody home? these days most digital channels are encrypted and use the ci-slot. a deactiveted ci-slot while recording in standby makes the usb-record function totaly useless, this is no more then a marketing gag. i whish product development would have thought about things more seriously. this way it is very disappointing.

Nettle
11-08-2011, 06:10 AM
...and it gets even worse: when recording while tv is in standby the ci-slot is not activated! this means you can not record anything if the tv is not turned on, except for free-tv. hello? anybody home? these days most digital channels are encrypted and use the ci-slot. a deactiveted ci-slot while recording in standby makes the usb-record function totaly useless, this is no more then a marketing gag. i whish product development would have thought about things more seriously. this way it is very disappointing.

Really!?!?!? If this is true, it's really useless. :(

matthias
11-13-2011, 07:55 PM
I have some problems with time-shift recording when rewinding and replaying, but to keep things clean, I created a new thread here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3191-Bug-Time-shift-recording-crashes-on-quot-rewind-amp-watch-quot):

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3191-Bug-Time-shift-recording-crashes-on-quot-rewind-amp-watch-quot

(32PFL7606K FW Q5551-0.14.84.0_bld7a)

p.briet
12-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Hi

The 2k11 TV sets are out and, together with the latest software releases, you will be able to use the USB Recording feature on our 6-/7-/8- and 9000 series TV's.

Please share all your experiences with USB Recording in this thread.

Thank you.

Requirements for USB Recording:
- USB Recording is possible on 2k11 TV's from 6000 Series onwards (xxPFL6xx6). Note: latest firmware has to be installed.
- USB Recording requires a USB stick (or external HDD) with min. 32 GB memory. Note: as the USB stick/drive will be formated, all data on it will be lost.
- Saved Recordings will be encrypted and can only be decrypted with the same TV, so sharing movies will NOT be possible.
- USB Scheduled Recording requires an active internet connection on the TV (wired or wireless).

Some Notes:
on Timeshift, the TV writes informations to the USB Stick.
At the same Time informations will be send from the Stick so its read/write at the same Time.
It can happen that on some USB Sticks with high Latency the Picture will judder while using Timeshift.
In this Case please use a different USB Stick or Harddrive.

Regards
Thomas

Hi Thomas,
On my 46" 9706 I can play what is on the 500 gig HDD that is plugged into one of the USB ports. So the HDD was not formatted and I can make no recordings with it. Also I have no program list. Note: I have KPN interactive TV of whch the "Experiabox" is connected to Ext1 by the adapter cable.
What to do? Thanks! Paul

Philips - Thomas
12-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Hi

Recordings are only available from internal Tuners. If you use an external Receiver you can not record with the TV.

Regards
Thomas

Clarinet
12-06-2011, 03:48 PM
I wonder if Thomas can comment about whether there are any plans to roll out USB Recording to the UK (by providing an internet programme guide - which I think is why the function doesn't yet work).
Thanks

michaelu
12-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Just saw this thread and wanted to add although my experience is now two months old.
1) The first USB disk, a 500GB disk, three years old, was not recognized at all.
2) I bought a brand new disk, 2 TB. It failed on the speed test. I assume it is rather too fast than too slow.
3) I copied the contents of a 1 TB disk connected to my PC over to the 2 TB disk, and attached the 1 TB disk to the TV. This worked.
I am aware that 2 TB is a critical boundary. I cannot tell if the disk is slightly less or slightly more than 2 TB. All I can tell is that the 2 TB disk works nicely with the PC, and that the error messages the TV gave (attach a disk, too slow) are not helpful. I am glad that the 1 TB disk worked, because otherwise, how many disks should I buy in the shop until I find one that works? This one I must keep!

Now that the disk is working, I have the problems described elsewhere with the NetTV Server. If it does not work, then I am not offered my list of previous recordings. Of course, the ability to play back recordings should be independent of NetTV.

Verklagekasper
12-16-2011, 12:19 PM
I think this is related to the problem I mentioned earlier in this thread:

I have some trouble making recordings of digital channels (decrypted by the CI+ module of my 42PFL7486K).
The problem is that recordings made in standby mode are usually marked as "expired", and they cannot be watched.
There is a workaround:

However, when making two subsequent recordings on the same channel, ie. when I do not just record the program I want to watch but also the preceding program, then only the first recording is "expired", while the second recording is ok.
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?1914-USB-Recording-your-experiences&p=11923&viewfull=1#post11923

So when I want to record a program in standby mode, I setup two recordings: One for the program that I actually want to record, and second one for the last 10 minutes of the preceding program. After all recordings are finished, the recording of the last 10 minutes of the preceding program will be unwatchable, but the recording of the program I want to watch is fine.

bo1e
12-25-2011, 03:59 PM
A list of compatible drives would be appreciated. Or at least what requirements the drive needs to comply with to work. I have tried 4 different usb drives now, and none are working. They all fail to format. But if you can't record while tv is in standby, and you can't record while watching a different source, it's utterly useless anyway. Those problems really need to be fixed asap.

Nettle
12-25-2011, 07:36 PM
But if you can't record while tv is in standby, and you can't record while watching a different source, it's utterly useless anyway.

Useless * Useless = Useless"

you can't record while watching a different source

Kennedy01
12-26-2011, 10:22 AM
informations from philips say that some scheduled recordings of private channels (like Pro7 HD, RTL HD...) will not work due to restrictions of the broadcast station.

Concerning the recording function it however is mysterious, why a connected harddisk is forced to tape everything all the time while watching tv. Why not put it to standyby if i dont want to do a recording or use timeshift?

p.briet
12-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi

Recordings are only available from internal Tuners. If you use an external Receiver you can not record with the TV.

Regards
Thomas

I understand the internal tuner is for analog input only?! Via coax cable.

Toengel
12-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Hi,

the internal tunes support more than only analog TV:

H model: dvb-t, dvb-c
K model: = H + dvb-s(2)
T model: = H + dvb-t2

Toengel@Alex

Winkler
12-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Hi I have 32pfl6606t and I can't record on my HDD by the USB. The TV can format the HDD and timeshift recording seems to work as well. But when I open the EPG there are no record button, I have swich to the DVB-EPG as I have read that the tv could record from that option as well - instead of the IP-EPG (we have no network where the TV is located). I have upgraded to newest software - so any suggestions what to do?

smart
12-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi I have 32pfl6606t and I can't record on my HDD by the USB. The TV can format the HDD and timeshift recording seems to work as well. But when I open the EPG there are no record button, I have swich to the DVB-EPG as I have read that the tv could record from that option as well - instead of the IP-EPG (we have no network where the TV is located). I have upgraded to newest software - so any suggestions what to do?

As far as I know, recording only works with IP-EPG. So you would need a network connection.

pip
01-06-2012, 11:44 PM
When recording with a USB-HDD i would like it if i could choose another TV-input so i could watch a DVD or play my xbox. When my TV is recording on the USB-HDD i must stop the recording to switch the TV to DVD or XBOX input. So on this moment i don't use this feature, because the only thing i can do with the TV is watching the recording or go for previous recording on the USB-HDD.

p.briet
01-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Hi

Regards
Thomas

It would be nice if the internal tuner would accept input from KPN interactive tv in the future when there is a new firmware update. (I have a 47pfl 9706 H)

it2tv
01-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Philips must have made their TV's for one single market namely the Dutch one cause here in Sweden the IP-EPG doesn't work at all, so with that in mind you can't use the USB recording function at all. I really can't see why you don't have the ability to record using the DVB-T EPG instead. The problem with the IP-EPG is that I have to update all 170 channels that is availabe through my cable tv distributor. I can only view 6 of the 170 channels so why can't I just choose to update these channels instead of all. That would have make it possible using the IP-EPG. Now it's impossible. So Philips you really have to do something in the next FW update so the IP-EPG will work or made it possible to record using the DVB-T EPG.

DerShortyy
01-12-2012, 04:50 PM
At the moment IP-EPG is not available. The TV says that the servers are down. So recording is not possible

it2tv
01-12-2012, 05:36 PM
At the moment IP-EPG is not available. The TV says that the servers are down. So recording is not possibleWell that is so so stupid. DVB-T EPG is the only way to made the recording useable so please made it possible now!!!!!

Mattias
01-16-2012, 09:55 AM
I live in sweden, and my parents bought a 40" Philips 6000-series recently.
When visiting them, i helped to update firmware and also helped them out to get digital (DVB-C) channels installed etc.
I also thought i could help them make scheduled recording possible... This function was highly anticipated by my parents!

Well, i think this function as of today is really poorly implemented.

It was my understanding that scheduled recording would be possible by just getting a HDD, hook it up and format.
During the weekend however, i found out that this was far from true... :(

You also need internet connection to get EPG-IP, and for this you need too buy, hook up and install a router... You also need to buy and install an USB-hub to get 2 USB ports to make it work. Furthermore, according to some posters on this forum and other places, the EPG-IP is not always working smoothly in certain countries, and the program guide working flawlessly is essential to my parents.

I canīt understand why Philips wants to make this simple function so complicated? Why not allow such a simple recording function with use of ordinary DVB EPG? I have it on my digital DVB-C box at home, and i canīt see why Philips would have a problem implementing it on their TV:s?

As for now, i think the "smart" function and scheduled recording is merely a selling trick to make people purchase Philips own solution for WIFI connection (PAT01) and NetTV (totally unnecessary for my parents).

So, the "USB Recording Functionality" in current implementation is a total disappointment imho, and a let down from Philips in regards to my parents as customers.

I had to leave my parents (living a 6hrs drive away from me) without being able to schedule a recording on their shiny new Philips TV, even though it was supposed to be smart. For the money they spent on the HDD, they can now pause a program...

Please, make it work as it should... Simple and sensible. Or was it "make things better"?

TV is 40PFL6606H, latest firmware as of today.

Regards

gianfri
02-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Hi

Regards
Thomas

2 questions:

Why? Is there a technical limitation or what?

Would it be technically possible to record from DVB-T and watch from HDMI?

Thanks

pip
02-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Same here. I like to record, but in the mean time look at a bluray movie.

P3t3r
02-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Which USB stick(s) can be used for recording?

I have a bought a new Sandisk Cruzer 32GB. No problem with formatting but TV says writing speed is too low?!

Please help

rgds Peter

ps: TV is a 37PFL9606

Perpetual Beta
02-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Philips has implemented USB recording with high hardware requirements, specified in the user manuals:
Capacity of 32 GB and above and a write speed of 30 MB / second.
The capacity of most "32 GB USB - Sticks" is less than 32 GB.
And most USB 2.0 Sticks are too slow ...

Briefly tested here: Sharkoon Flexi-Drive Ultimate 64GB (USB 3.0) with LogiLink USB 3.0 Hub, 4-port, USB 3.0. The hub is needed for powering the USB stick. Philips TVs are delivering 0,5A max. over USB 2.0 ports, most USB 3.0 Sticks are requiring above 0,5A during write operations. As many USB powered external HDDs do during spinning up.

But i am recording with a PC, DVB Twin Tuner and DVBviewer Pro. No restrictions for FTA recordings, good UI, web interface (programming over LAN), no access to proprietary server required (internet connection), no encryption of recordings so i can back up, watch and edit them on any PC.

BTW.:
FTA - "Free To Air" (unencrypted channels)
UI - User Interface

P3t3r
02-28-2012, 09:25 AM
The capacity of most "32 GB USB - Sticks" is less than 32 GB.
And most USB 2.0 Sticks are too slow ...

Thanks for your response!

You wrote that most sticks are too slow..... Which ones are fast enough then? I just want to use an USB stick

Don't want connect extra hubs, cables and stuff because of the "clean wall install" which I prefer :cool:

rgds Peter

Perpetual Beta
03-01-2012, 01:19 AM
IMHO the USB recording feature wasn't implemented according to the technical specifications of real USB sticks and harddisks which are sold e.g. by Amazon. IMHO noteworthing buffering memory is lacking so device latencies can't be brigded reliably (e.g. some 1 second for USB sticks, some 10 seconds for harddisk spin up, some ? seconds for the latencies of the TVs non-real-time-OS). The power requirements of real USB mass storage devices were underestimated, too. Or ignored.

An USB mass storage compatibility list provided by Philips would be some kind of progress, though you can't rely on such lists if e.g. a manufacturer changes the flash memory built into an USB stick or the harddisk model built into an external housing.
See RAM compatibility lists which are provided by respectable mainboard and RAM module manufacturers.

Philips - Thomas
03-01-2012, 06:15 AM
Hi

well such lists would be indeed helpful but on the other Hand, what if at some point changes on the Sticks happens on the manufacturing Site?

We can not control external Parties, thats why we don't assure anything for external Parties.
We show you the Specs and the rest is up to you.

Also one Point to keep in mind, if we would publish a List this has also Marketing Impact.
If we say for Example Sandisk works and Transcend is not mentioned, that would end up in a Marketing mess and in massive Shitstorm by other brands. So we don't go that way.

Regards
Thomas

bo1e
03-01-2012, 10:47 AM
You could specify which hw revision is supported. And specify that future hw revisions may not work. Not giving any unit info really makes it hard for a regular consumer. Tech specs are not understandable for a regular consumer. If you take those specs to a store looking for a suitable usb unit, you probably won't even get any help there.

Could someone list the requirements or link to them? And maybe compile a community list of sticks/drives known to work?

Tommy
03-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Could you Philips - Thomas please comment on post #62 by Mattias... Thanks.
So that we know what we can or cannot expect from Philips...

Hi

well such lists would be indeed helpful but on the other Hand, what if at some point changes on the Sticks happens on the manufacturing Site?

We can not control external Parties, thats why we don't assure anything for external Parties.
We show you the Specs and the rest is up to you.

Also one Point to keep in mind, if we would publish a List this has also Marketing Impact.
If we say for Example Sandisk works and Transcend is not mentioned, that would end up in a Marketing mess and in massive Shitstorm by other brands. So we don't go that way.

Regards
Thomas

glin
03-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Hi

I own a 7656 model and USB recording was one of the reasons why I bought the TV. While it works ok, there are two major nuisances that I'd love to see fixed for massively improved usability:

1) Watch input from a different source while recording (i.e. say you are recording from DVB-S but want to watch a show on DVB-T or a DVD via HDMI)
2) Use VPS times instead of actual times when programing a recording

Even my – by now ancient – VHS recorder provided such functionality.

/Glin

banjeep
03-09-2012, 04:08 PM
Hello, I have a 2TB external HD from the PC I created 2 partition with the intention that a ntfs formatted for use with the PC and the other formatted with the format of television 9606 to make recordings from TV.
I connected the HD to the TV, I tried to do a recording and TV asked me to format the hard drive, but did not ask me which partition and then I formatted the entire HD,
does anyone know how do I have a hard drive with 2 partitions, one ntfs for PC and the other in the format of the TV?
thanks

Google translate

Toengel
03-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi,

as far as I know, this is not possible.

Toengel@Alex

banjeep
03-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Hi,

as far as I know, this is not possible.

Toengel@Alex
Thanks Toengel

I managed to read that file type are the HD is formatted in Linux ext,
the typescript file has the extension .TSL,
maybe you can format the HD in 2 partitions, one ntfs and one linux ext?

Toengel
03-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi,

try it and post your outcome ;-)

Toengel@Alex

banjeep
03-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi,

try it and post your outcome ;-)

Toengel@Alex

Finally, after many trials I succeeded, I did format the HD from the TV with its format, then from pc I created 2 partitions and one in NTSC, now the hard disk is recognized by both the PC to enter data and both the TV to record, when I connect it to tv register immediately by clicking on the button of the remote and no longer asks me to format, the same thing to my pc immediately recognizes the hd, the only regret is that if I put a movie in the HD partition PC to watch TV in a movie I did not find, however, to solve this using a usb memory stick 16GB

I got my goal, having a hard drive that I use for both the PC and both recordings without any time format.:D

Nettle
03-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Finally, after many trials I succeeded, I did format the HD from the TV with its format, then from pc I created 2 partitions and one in NTSC, now the hard disk is recognized by both the PC to enter data and both the TV to record, when I connect it to tv register immediately by clicking on the button of the remote and no longer asks me to format, the same thing to my pc immediately recognizes the hd, the only regret is that if I put a movie in the HD partition PC to watch TV in a movie I did not find, however, to solve this using a usb memory stick 16GB

I got my goal, having a hard drive that I use for both the PC and both recordings without any time format.:D

The next goal is to register one program and watch another one at the same time (as logically the user would want).

Maybe a dream.

Regards.

banjeep
03-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Yes nettle,the problem are the rights of copyright

agmarco
03-13-2012, 02:16 PM
47pfl7606H/12 FW 014.095 (with CI+)
I know that with one internal tuner you can't watch another channel then the one which is recorded at that time but why I can't switch to HDMI1 (PS3) in the same time is confusing me. I have seen some other people with this issue but I didn't see a solution or reply. Maybe I missed it.

Philips - Thomas
03-13-2012, 02:31 PM
Hi,

It's not possible to use other sources while the TV is recording. This is a limitation from the hardware. We do not implement a possibility to use other sources while recording to avoid unstable behaviors due to the data processing while recording.

Regards,
Thomas

daL
04-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Dear all,

I'm about to buy a 37pfl7606h. Currently we have got DVB-T (a setopbox called Digitenne).
There are 2 ways to use the setopbox: a. an additional unit b. a smartcard. (We already have an older 2010 Philips model and the smartcard works perfect).
Question: is timeshift and recording on usb stick possible? If yes, is it possible via the additional unit and/or smartcard? Anybody experiences with this.
If this has been published earlier on this forum, pls forgive me, I've spent almost an hour searching for it :)

Kind regards,
daLooney

Philips - Thomas
04-10-2012, 09:12 AM
Hi,

is Timeshift possible with this Device?
If the DVB-T Receiver supports this, yes.
Timeshift on the TV does only! work with its internal Tuners.

Regards
Thomas

daL
04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your prompt response, Thomas!
Just to be sure, can you please confirm that the next assumption is correct?

Due to the fact that I'm using an antenna (in combination with a card) to retrieve the digital signal, it means that I'm not using the internal tuner. So I can't use the recording capabilities of the television.

Cheers,
daL

Philips - Thomas
04-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Hi

you use an external Device, a DVB-T Receiver, the Antenna is going to the Receiver and then via Scart or HDMI to the TV.
If that is true then you don't use the TV internla Tuners.

Thomas

adb1973
04-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Finally, after many trials I succeeded, I did format the HD from the TV with its format, then from pc (....)

Hi, I succeeded in doing something similar because I wanted one single harddisk that was usable as usb device (for movie storage/playback on the philips) and IPG-recording by the philips TV.

Method:
1: let the tv format the drive (BEWARE: you'll loose all data on ALL partitions)
2: resize the TV partition (spanning your full drive) to a size above 32GB with a partition manager that can handle ext2/3 format (i used iPartition under OS X)
3: create a fat32 partition in the new free space (that format is readable by both your computer and your TV

Method that was definitely NOT working for me:
1: let a PC/MAC format the partition as ext2/3 the TV refuses to recognize such a partition.

One NOOB question from my side:
Is there a way to automatically record on a daily/weekly basis? (Did I overlook that?)

Arjan

daL
04-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Thomas,

Sorry to bother you again, but it's slightly different than you describe as there is no external receiver with SCART or HDMI.
The Philips TV supports a smartcard for DVB-T. Having that card in the television the only cable needed is the antenna cable for the digital input...

Many thanks,
Kees

Philips - Thomas
04-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Hi Kees

im only referring to your post

Currently we have got DVB-T (a setopbox called Digitenne).

If you use the TV-Internal Tuners (digital) you can also use Timeshift.

Thomas

daL
04-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks Thomas,
Rereading my emails, it's even confusing to myself!
Anyway thanks a lot for you prompt responses.
Enjoy your weekend!
Cheers,
Kees

bart12
04-18-2012, 10:45 AM
hi there

I have a 46PFL8606 running the latest software (March 2012), however when trying to format my WD Elements 320GB HD, I get the error message that the writing speed of the HD is not fast enough. This is confusing since the HD supports up to 480 MB/S.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

adel
04-26-2012, 03:48 PM
Hi,

I've got a 42PFL3507H/12 model (bought yesterday) connected with a 500Gb DK by USB link.
Software :T921E 2.03
I'm really surprised when I time shift something, it doesn't stay on the DK.
There is 2 folders, Lost+Found and tshift but both are always empty.
Is there an option to keep it on the DK so, if it's too long or if some friends come, you can watch the end another day?

Regards,

Adel

PS: Sorry for the double message

Toengel
04-26-2012, 04:42 PM
Hi,

TimeShift is only allowed for max. 90 min. So, e.g. so you see a movie of about 120 minutes and you start time shift at the beginning and want so start watching it at the end, the first 30 minutes are lost. This isn't a decision of Philips, it's more a constraint of the broadcaster / networks...

Toengel@Alex

adel
04-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Hi,

Thank you for this precision (not a good news!) but you don't answer my question. Is it possible to save the timeshift and read it another day ?

Regards,

Adel

Toengel
04-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Hi,

no - it's not.

Toengel@Alex

Joerg
04-27-2012, 07:30 AM
Hi,

2 Weeks ago I wanted to record a movie (using the integrated DVB-S Receiver on 32PFL5806K with firmware 0.14.96, no smart Card or something similar) starting 20:15 to 22:10, I programmed it, didn't change the time values. A few minutes before the movie started the message came whether I want to record or cancel, I pressed record. After that I changed the channel to the channel were we wanted to record, wasn't sure if I have to or if the TV is doing it on it's own. No message appeared, no "record sign" appeared. After the movie finished I looked in the EPG and it just said "Error" behind the record.

Yesterday I wanted to record a movie again (now with 0.14.97 Firmware). The movie started at 20:15 and ended at 22:10. The EPG suggested start time 20:15, end time 22:25. I changed the end time to 22:15.
I was already watching the right channel, a few minutes before the starting time the message appeared if I want to record or cancel, I pressed record. The movie started, suddenly the message appeard "Recording complete"... And no, I'm sure I didn't change the end time to 20:15... The EPG wrote the record would be 0 Minutes long and of course nothing was recorded

So far I was only able to record something when I wasn't at home and the TV was switched off (that was 4 times), when I was at home watching TV I wasn't able to record something (2 times). Not very reliable.

Internet was everytime online.

Regards Joerg

adel
04-27-2012, 07:49 AM
Hi,

It is said on Philips website that my TV (42PFL3507H/12) can record free channels on 32GB USB drive but I don't see how to do it. It's not written on EPG but timeshift doesn't appear either although I can timeshift (easy with remote control).

Do you know if what is said is true and, if it's a YES, how can it be done ?

Regards,

Adel

marco zagolin
05-01-2012, 05:53 PM
Thanks for your response!

You wrote that most sticks are too slow..... Which ones are fast enough then? I just want to use an USB stick

Don't want connect extra hubs, cables and stuff because of the "clean wall install" which I prefer :cool:

rgds Peter

Kingston Datatraveler 100 G2 DT100G2/32GB

works on my 32pfl7606m (about 30 hours memory).

marco zagolin
05-01-2012, 06:42 PM
- USB Scheduled Recording requires an active internet connection on the TV (wired or wireless).[/I]

1 - why requires an active internet connection ? I did read all message, but did not find any reason for that
2 - but, above all, why you cannot neither view recordings without an active internet connection ?
3 - why there is no One Touch Recording, as I can find on most 10 years old device ?
Any response would be appreciated.
Regards,
marco

Ricepes
05-02-2012, 10:37 AM
I hope Philips remove those limitations in the future......

worti
05-17-2012, 01:54 PM
I donīt think that will happen. As for me I think they donīt want it to work. We all already bought the TV so Philips isnīt interested in us anymore. My electronic TV program isnīt working since 5 days - so Iḿ not able to record or even view already recorded movies.

I really canīt believe this wonīt work without internet connection. Iḿ so disappointet from Philips. Every future customer I would recommend not bying a Philips product - and donīt trust what Philips Marketing tells you: nobody told me that you have to have a internet connection to record programs , nobody told me that the TV`s fimware is buggy as hell. ......

matthias
05-17-2012, 02:27 PM
1 - why requires an active internet connection ? I did read all message, but did not find any reason for that
2 - but, above all, why you cannot neither view recordings without an active internet connection ?
3 - why there is no One Touch Recording, as I can find on most 10 years old device ?

The reason for the internet connection is that the user interface for is implemented as web page, which is loaded from the Philips servers each time it is started. Also, the EPG-data is obtained for each call.

In principle, using Opera as UI frontend I think is a good decision, because it allows to design a much nicer UI, and also updates without the need to install a new firmware. However, it should be cached locally, together with the EPG data and not loaded over the internet. AFAIK, this is fixed for the 2012 TVs?
Also, the EPG should be cached locally, so recodings still works when no internet connection is available.

Viewing and starting a recording is also done through a web page loaded from the Philips servers.

A one-touch (well, two-touch) recording is in fact possible, there is just no button on the remote control, or shortcut in the Options menu - no idea why.
If you use a different remote which has a Record button (or use one of these Jointspace applicatoins), a window appears, where you can change start and stop time and start the recording on the current channel.

Still, in the current 2011 implementation, even though no program information is shown, this "direct" recording also requires an internet connection.

hodihu
05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
I got serious problems with USB-recording with my 32PFL7406K/02 bought in Sept. 2011.
I already changed through 3 different HDDs (2 2,5" and now a 3,5" with external power supply) but I get a lot of "Fehler"-errors instead of recordings. Every view weeks I upgraded to the firmware to the latest version.
Is this a general problem with this TV or ist mine just broken and I have to return it?

Holger

backhandguga
05-19-2012, 04:47 PM
First time that I heard about this issue. Would be nice to open a support ticket have have this one checked. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-19/vbsmile.png

user0815
05-19-2012, 09:19 PM
10 got http://www.philips.de/c/fernsehgeraete/7000-series-81-cm-32-zoll-full-hd-1080p-dvb-t-c-s2-32pfl7406k_02/prd
20 key *support*
*press thumbs*

btw. I read at Heise or somewere else it may be a good idea to use WD hard disks instead of Seagate. May be an option.

hodihu
05-21-2012, 03:00 PM
10 got http://www.philips.de/c/fernsehgeraete/7000-series-81-cm-32-zoll-full-hd-1080p-dvb-t-c-s2-32pfl7406k_02/prd
20 key *support*
*press thumbs*

Pardon?

btw. I read at Heise or somewere else it may be a good idea to use WD hard disks instead of Seagate. May be an option.

I'm already using a WD-HDD.

Philipe
05-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Kingston Datatraveler 100 G2 DT100G2/32GB

works on my 32pfl7606m (about 30 hours memory).
Kingston Datatraveler 100 G2/32GB does NOT work on my 37PFL7676 (Q5551_0.14.97.0 software).
("Less than 32GB" message).

How did you accomplish this?

marco zagolin
05-27-2012, 06:02 AM
I have used the lower usb and I did nothing else.
But, just to be sure, I did repeat the process (after quick formatting on pc):
- no internet connection needed
- insert the usb key on the lower usb
- press the pause buttom (timeshift)
- answer yes to format the disk
Thats all.
Now you can also connect to the internet and do standard recording.
Good luck,
marco

Philipe
05-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Marco,

Thank you very much for your reaction and tests.

I followed your instructions, but still the tv quits the formatting process with the "Less than 32GB" message.
Also I tried all kind of variations with partioning, formatting and both USB slots but all with the same results.

Btw windows reports 31.428.759.552 bytes for this drive so this is indeed less than 32GB.

If only Philips would lower the requirement a couple of GB's so that 32 GB pen drives are supported. That would make me very glad and probably a lot of other customers too (I only want the timeshift capability).

Philipe

marco zagolin
05-27-2012, 07:30 PM
Btw windows reports 31.428.759.552 bytes
Philipe
There are 2 small differences with my hardware:
- my windows Capacity is 32.052.629.504 bytes 29.8 GB (Kingstone DataTraveler 100 G2)
- my firmware is Q5553... (not Q5551 as your)
Are out there others using 32 GB pen drives ?
If yes, please report windows Capacity and firmware Qxxxx model.
Regards,
marco

Manuel
05-27-2012, 07:40 PM
You can't use a 32GB USB disk because the free space is less than 32GB, the USB disk use some space to data format. Firmware on Tv don't make any difference.

marco zagolin
05-27-2012, 09:21 PM
You can't use a 32GB USB disk because the free space is less than 32GB, the USB disk use some space to data format. Firmware on Tv don't make any difference.
Please read all 6 post before this.
Regards,
marco

marco zagolin
05-27-2012, 09:28 PM
The reason for the internet connection is that the user interface for is implemented as web page, which is loaded from the Philips servers each time it is started...
Thanks for explanation,
marco