PDA

View Full Version : Reset vs Restore Factory settings

Cristiano
08-03-2011, 02:18 AM
I have a MP4 player SA3ARA04K and sometimes it hangs up. So I would like to reset it to see if it helps. But I find there is a button "RESET" at the bottom of the player and there is also an option inside the player called "Restore Factory settings" under "Factory settings" in "Settings". Any difference between these two methods??? What should I do to get it repaired??? Thanks!!

kwinnie
08-03-2011, 12:50 PM
i dont think restore the factory settings can be regarded as some sort of repair... it doesnt mean to use for troubleshoot... it just means clearing the settings / data you have;
while the reset button is used to do the hard re-set... so when the player cannot turn on or it hanged up, you press this reset button to give it a breath , see if it wakes up or not...
reading the website... the repair (when reset doesn't work) can be performed by using Songbird...

so... that s why you should have songbird installed anyways... cuz it s for curing your player if it s in deep trouble ;-)

SoundWave
08-08-2011, 11:00 AM
@cristiano if my player ever freezes/ hangs i just use the RESET button on the player and it kinda re-boots it. Always seems to work for me!

The factory settings/ restore is for big problems i think!

Philips - Cassandra
08-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Hi Cristiano,

Welcome to our sound forum!

There is a difference. Restoring to factory settings will only remove all personal settings you have set on the player and replace with the default values.

The reset button is used to carry out a hard reset as Kwinnie mentioned. It is normal for portable devices to sometimes freeze and hang up. This is the reason there is a little reset button on the player. Holding this down for 10 seconds will reboot the player.

If your player is freezing regularly we would recommend checking that you are on the latest firmware available and to carry out a device repair which will re-install all important files back onto your player.

Firmware updates and repairs can be completed only when the player is connected to your PC using the songbird software. For more info about the repair and step by step instructions have a look at the link below:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/faqview?refnr=0081224&ctn=SA3ARA04K/97&dct=QAC&scy=hk&slg=ENG&session=20110809080818_85.90.232.145&searchtext=repair

Kind regards,
Cassandra

Philips - Andrea
11-22-2011, 08:44 AM