PDA

View Full Version : BBC iplayer - Found in apps but not working...

cel
08-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Hi,

Another question regarding my newly purchased BDP5200. I have found the bbc iplayer in the net tv apps, great I thought! So I go into the app, and I can view all the different categories, etc. But once I try to play something, I get an error message as follows:

'Unfortunately this programme is not currently available

BBC iPlayer was not able to connect to a required server. Please check your network connection and try again'

Now I think I already know the answer to why I can't access iPlayer... I'm a UK guy living in Denmark, and as far as I know you can't view the iPlayer outside of the UK. But I just wanted to check (I would have thought that I would not have been able to find the app at all, but I did!)

Anyone know a way around this, if there is one at all?

Thanks in advance!

a_Tom
08-11-2011, 02:40 PM
all users with a non UK IP will be blocked from the BBC.
on a PC you can workaround with having a VPN to a UK provider but this is not possible with NeTTV.

mjbrant
08-11-2011, 11:32 PM
Hi,

I've been getting the exact same error message on BBC iPlayer using my Philips Blu-ray player since before the weekend. I am based in the U.K. and I use BT as my ISP. I have successfully used the iPlayer app in the past. Perhaps this particular issue is not to do with country IP blocking?

Thanks,

Matthew.

Clarinet
08-19-2011, 10:41 PM
I agree. I'm in the UK and have used the iplayer in the past but now it has stopped working. The message says 'cannot connect to the server' - all other apps are OK so I guess it's the Philips host where the problem lies. Please can this be sorted quickly as the BBC iplayer is probably the best bit of NetTV in the UK. Thanks

mjbrant
08-20-2011, 12:23 AM
Thanks Clarinet. I'm glad someone else in the U.K. is also having the same problem. All other Philips NetTV apps are working for me as well.

Also, if I try to use iPlayer on my PC with the exact same internet connection, it works fine. Therefore I'm guessing that the BBC are using different servers to bring content via the Philips portal than they use for regular internet browsers. I'm not clear whether this is a Philips or BBC problem, but it definitely needs sorting out soon. Otherwise, with the continued lack of other useful Philips NetTV VOD services, I will have to consider using other branded hardware to access the internet on my TV.

KAV69
09-01-2011, 07:24 AM
I've got the same problem on my BDP7600/12! everything but iplayer works. I get the same massage "Unfortunately this programme is not currently available, BBC iPlayer was not able to connect to a required server. Please check your network connection and try again"
That well might be the reason for this particular application not working, but makes you wonder how come all other systems which are connected to the network working just fine.
Can someone from Philips look into this (or at least say that they will). if any of you find a solution please shout! (UK)

Bedford
09-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Same problem here with a BDP5200/05. I'm in the UK, have a wired netwrok connection and all the other Net TV apps work ok. iPlayer works fine on a Panasonic Freesat HDR connected to the same ethernet port so it seems to be a problem at Philips end.

mjbrant
09-02-2011, 06:36 PM
FYI I have received a reply from BBC iPlayer who say "We are aware of this issue and are looking into ways to resolve it." So here's hoping!

Looking at their FAQs, it appears that there is also a similar problem with Samsung Blu-Ray players at the moment.

MrC
09-20-2011, 06:54 PM
I too am having the same issue, am using the BDP7500B2/05 model, been having the issue for last few days, it was working when previously used. Contacted Philips support who informed me it was most likely a BBC server issue and to try from a PC, when tried from a PC it works without problem. Please get this fixed asap.

Philips - Mark
09-20-2011, 07:13 PM
We are waiting for a fix by BBC in their App.

KAV69
09-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Thanks for following this up.

elwils
09-21-2011, 09:56 AM

Dear Mark
I received my new BDP7600 yesterday to find that iplayer app would not work here in UK. Of course, it is pretty disappointing to receive a new item that does not work as it should and waste quite a bit of time before finding there is this problem without a present solution!

Please could you let us know an approximate timescale for the fix, if possible, and how we will be made aware when the problem is sorted. Many thanks.

Toengel
09-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi,

BBC is responsible for the App - maybe you should ask them (too) ...

Toengel@Alex

elwils
09-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Hi,

Toengel@Alex

Of course I will try, but I was rather hoping that pressure from Philips might be more effective than from an individual like me!

neilski
09-26-2011, 10:08 PM
Hi...
Just bought a BDP5200, partly on the strength of its iPlayer support... when I hit trouble, google found this page pretty quickly and stopped me from wasting too much time on it.
Haven't yet upgraded the firmware but it looks like that isn't gonna help me. (Tho hopefully it'll improve the so-bad-it's-pointless browser - can't navigate properly within a page?)

Would indeed be great if Mark (or other Philips person) could give us an idea of whether the BBC have indicated how long it'll take.
Ta!

Michael_Shergold
09-28-2011, 12:12 PM
I also received my BDP7600 this week and was annoyed to find that there was this problem. Especially as the the Iplayer feature was a key reason for purchasing and the product had received a good review in one of the Sunday papers a week or so ago. It would be nice to know that some effort is going in to getting a speedy resolution.

Michael_Shergold
09-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Hi,

Toengel@Alex

Who do we contact at the BBC, They seem to have closed their forums.

elwils
09-30-2011, 01:22 PM
A quick update on my present situation i.e. no iplayer on BDP7600

I contacted BBC through their iplayer 'contact us' page but so far have heard nothing back.

I also entered a 'chat' session on the Philips website with a customer services person, who was pretty helpful and did not just try to dismiss the issue. He could not provide an answer but has 'escalated' my issue. I have since received an email from Philips customer care to say they are waiting feedback from 'head office'. I'll keep you posted with any progress, in the meantime, Michael, I guess it might also be worth you contacting Philips customer services (if you haven't already) to show it is not an isolated issue

Toengel
09-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi,

please see this post: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?1121-New-on-Net-TV-NAPSTER&p=13207&viewfull=1#post13207

Toengel@Alex

elwils
09-30-2011, 01:38 PM
Ha, thanks Toengel, I see another happy customer!

Clearly the sooner this iplayer issue is sorted the better. If I was presently contemplating Philips products in the UK I would steer clear as there are plenty of other options that offer working iplayer support...

neilski
09-30-2011, 11:39 PM
OK, am somewhat confused now.
Last night I updated the firmware in my BDP5200 (to 1.31 from 1.00) and just for the hell of it I gave iPlayer another try.
It worked. Nice one!
Don't know for sure if this is due to the firmware (cos it had been a couple of days since I had last tried it) but I'm thinking it probably was (?).

However, I say "working, more or less" because although it plays beautifully, the controls appear to be a bit, em, crippled.
I can fast-forward, but only at 4x speed (a bit disappointing). I can pause. But the killer is that I can't rewind AT ALL. The only option if you miss a bit appears to be starting from scratch (and with the limited speed fast-forward, that could get to be a bit of a chore).

So, yay for Philips/BBC, but please tell me I'm missing a magic button that will give me access to rewind (and faster seeking, e.g. direct time seek)... Or else I might end up reverting to the (also painful but for different reasons) iPlayer on my Wii.
:-S

MrC
10-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Is the BBC/Philips any nearer to fixing this as I am still getting the message that it is unable to connect to a server when trying to play a BBC iPlayer program? Player being used is BDP7500B2/05

Michael_Shergold
10-04-2011, 08:03 PM

Well how long are we likely to have to wait or should I return this BDP7600/005.

Clarinet
10-06-2011, 09:34 AM
The iplayer is still not working on my BDP7600/05 or my 2011 8000 series TV. Both these units are runing the original firmware as there hasn't been an update.

The UK helpdesk has advised me this is a BBC problem which is corroborated by the comment from the NetTV team above. However, this needs sorting out because the BDP7600 got a very poor review in the latest edition of What HiFi, partly because of the missing BBC iplayer. 'Video on demand and catch-up TV services are extremely limited (there’s no BBC iPlayer) but there’s access to some social networking sites and a basic web browser.'

mjbrant
10-16-2011, 01:00 PM
As per Neilsky's reply, I ran the latest software upgrade this morning and BBC iPlayer now works again! I specifically tested the iPlayer before I ran the upgrade to make sure it still wasn't working first. So I would definitely recommend trying this for those still having the problem.

My Blu-ray player is model BDP7500B2/05, and I upgraded from version 1.56 to 1.60.

What confuses me is why Philips have not responded with this as a solution themselves, and why a fix to the iPlayer problem is not mentioned in the release notes for this upgrade.

neilski
10-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Delighted you've got it working.

Surprised to hear that the f/w upgrade did it for you (but then you do have different hardware to me). I could have sworn that other BDP5200 users had said that the latest f/w did NOT work for them, so I was left assuming that external changes (at the BBC end?) had to be the reason. If indeed it's all in the f/w for both you and me, then indeed why have Philips not piped up and told everyone?

Does your iPlayer also have no rewind capability? And fast-forward limited to 4x?
TBH, this makes it near-useless for me - pretty tragic considering it's so close to being excellent :(

mjbrant
10-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Hi. Yes I've never had rewind or faster than 4x speed on the iPlayer app, even before it stopped working completely. I've just double checked and this is still the case, but at least I can actually watch programmes again now which is a step in the right direction!

MrC
10-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Have just upgraded my blu-ray player (BDP7500B2/05) firmware from 1.56 to 1.60 and the BBC iPlayer is now working, lets hope this continues to work. Thanks mjbrant :o

Clarinet
10-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Remarkable! New firmware released for BDP7600/05 with no mention of a fix to the BBC iplayer. However, the iplayer now works again (along with Facebook for the first time). I'm more than happy. Now it needs sorting out for my 40PFL8606T/12

Clarinet
11-09-2011, 11:18 PM
The latest firmware for the 2011 TV range, Version: 000.014.088.000, makes the iplayer work - HD too. This is really good news, so thank you Philips. This is the best app for the UK and makes it all worthwhile.

smith
11-12-2011, 03:31 PM
The latest firmware for the 2011 TV range, Version: 000.014.088.000, makes the iplayer work - HD too.

I have applied the new software version to my 50PFl7956T/12 Cinema 21:9 Gold TV but I am still unable to get the iplayer to work. Any ideas what I need to do?

Clarinet
11-19-2011, 08:55 AM
There seems to be two BBC iplayer apps available. One works with my 2011 TV and a second with my BluRay player. Both need the latest firmware for the relevant device.

The problem is both icons look the same so it's trial and error to get the right one. If the specific iplayer app doesn't work on your TV it will be 'greyed out' - with a white cross in the top right hand corner. Before deleting it, go to the apps gallery and select the iplayer icon that's there because this should be the correct one for your TV.

Clarinet
11-19-2011, 09:03 AM
BBC iplayer stops playing after 5 minutes using a wireless connection. When the app was released we watched numerous programmes without a problem.

In the last week, the player has stopped after a short time and corrupts the wireless settings so the TV has to be switched off and the wireless connection restarted. I've cleared the cache and reset the router but the problem still exists. Using a ethernet connection the problem goes away - but that's not the point. No other streaming apps (Vimeo, YouTube, Viewster) seem to be affected in this way.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

smith
11-19-2011, 11:38 PM
There seems to be two BBC iplayer apps available. One works with my 2011 TV and a second with my BluRay player. Both need the latest firmware for the relevant device.

The problem is both icons look the same so it's trial and error to get the right one. If the specific iplayer app doesn't work on your TV it will be 'greyed out' - with a white cross in the top right hand corner. Before deleting it, go to the apps gallery and select the iplayer icon that's there because this should be the correct one for your TV.

The iplayer app is not greyed out on mine. You can enter the app and click to play a program but a message comes back to say program not available unable to connect to the server. This is on a new Cinema 21:9 Gold TV 50PFL7956T/12.

Clarinet
11-20-2011, 08:41 PM
If you've upgrade the firmware, I'm not sure what the problem may be. The website says the latest vesion for your set is 000.014.088.000, released on 4 Nov 2011. My TV had exactly the same problem until with the app displaying but a message saying there is no connection. Upgrading to this software version sorted the problem for me. Just not the version, .088 and I think version .084 was issued just a couple of weeks earlier but this did not sort out the iplayer.

I hope this helps and the problem gets resolved soon. Hopefully someone from Philips is monitoring this post.

naviot
11-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi,

please see this post: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?1121-New-on-Net-TV-NAPSTER&p=13207&viewfull=1#post13207

Toengel@Alex

thanks Toengel, I see another happy customer!

Clearly the sooner this iplayer issue is sorted the better. If I was presently contemplating Philips products in the UK I would steer clear as there are plenty of other options that offer working iplayer support...

Philips - Mark
11-22-2011, 01:35 PM
BBC iPlayer only works on BBC certified products.
The Philips 2011 range of products (TV & BDP) are officially BBC iPlayer certified.

smith
11-29-2011, 09:00 PM
BBC iPlayer only works on BBC certified products.
The Philips 2011 range of products (TV & BDP) are officially BBC iPlayer certified.

I have a 2011 TV (Cinema Gold 21:9 50PFL7956T/12) but BBC iPlayer still does not work. Is there any update as to when this will be fixed. Mark can you look into this and let us know?

smith
12-08-2011, 07:34 PM
I have a 2011 TV (Cinema Gold 21:9 50PFL7956T/12) but BBC iPlayer still does not work. Is there any update as to when this will be fixed. Mark can you look into this and let us know?

I have a support call raised with Philips regarding the BBC iPlayer issue but I have still not heard anything back. Can someone from Philips please look into this and let me know it is really frustrating when no one gets back to you, not really a good support service.:(

smith
12-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Not sure what Philips have done but the BBC iplayer app is now working :D for my Cinema Gold 21:9 50PFL7956T/12. Could someone from Philips shed any light as to what the problem was? :confused:

neilski
12-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Glad it's working for you :)
When you say working though, does yours rewind or is it like mine (fast-forward max is 4x, and no rewind at all)?

artur
01-16-2012, 08:09 PM
Is anyone still having the issue with iPlayer? I have new 21:9 Cinema (58PFL9956) TV and every time I try to watch BBC iPlayer I get:

"Unfortunately this programme is not currently available.

BBC iPlayer was unable to connect to a required server.
Please check your network connection and try again."

I can confirm I have the newest version of the software: 000.014.093.000, 2011-12-21. When I spoke to Philips customer service today I was told that the problem is on BBC end and it's not Philips fault.

lenoir
01-17-2012, 10:25 AM
My new Sony netbox did this when I first set it up.

I had it connected to the router and had Wi Fi enabled, when I unplugged the network cable and used it through Wi Fi iplayer then worked.

artur
01-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks lenoir for your response. I tried that as well and still no success :/ Cmon Philips reps let me know what is going on and how do I fix this? Why everyone else seems to be access it ok while I still cannot?

neilski
01-19-2012, 11:39 PM
Why everyone else seems to be access it ok while I still cannot?
Umm, that depends on what you consider to be "ok". It doesn't rewind. It doesn't go forward faster than 4x. It can't time seek to wherever you want. So... even though it's "working OK" for me, I now never use it. The Wii doesn't do HD, but I can rewind it when I miss a bit. My advice - don't waste time getting to "work".

Philips - you should be ashamed that this problem isn't fixed :(

artur
01-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Yeah, they really should. So many times when I spoke to customer service they were very proud of a selection of web apps and being "pioneers" in this field... Yet the most useful apps in UK either don't work at all or as you pointed out barely work or they just aren't available on Philips TVs i.e. lovefilm (both Samsung and Sony have it).

If only I was aware of all these problems I would by a different TV, most likely Samsung. Philips charges premium as well but it's software is utterly rubbish: really buggy, slow and clearly not well written. I say it as a software developer.

Hellsbells501
01-24-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm really cheesed off. I bought the Philips blu ray player as it was a Which best buy and offered connection through my wifi to BBC iplayer etc which is really important to me. It was delivered today and after getting this same error message I found my way to this forum. To now find out that this function doesn't work is so irritating. I'll be contacting the retailer tomorrow to return this item as it doesn't do what it says on the box. Philips should not be promoting this feature if it isn't available.