PDA

View Full Version : Advice on HD Natural Motion

Action Man
08-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi guys, a bit of a newbie here. Yesterday I bought the 47pfl4606h/12. There seems to be a myriad of settings and configurable parameters that I need to get to grips with.

One thing that stuck out however was the HD Natural Motion. I was watching 'Falling Skies', a Steven Spielberg production from a non-HD broadcast provider (waiting for Sky HD to install). On my old TV, the program looked great, for a TV offering, with high end production values and FX etc but on the 4606 with HD Natural Motion enabled, the same program looked just like a cheap afternoon soap opera, filmed on a hand held camcorder with no post production, b-movie FX and very 'hammy acting'.

Disabling the HD Natural Motion restored the program's 'credibility'.

My questions are:
Has anyone else had the same experience?
Are there specific types of programs that suit the HD Natural Motion setting better than others?

l00pu5
08-27-2011, 11:28 AM
According to my understanding of this feature, HDNM is most suitable for watching BluRays and similar sources in order to suppress motion judder which normally can occur with 24p sources (that is, of course, only in case you don't want to see the judder - I know folks who love it, I know other folks who just don't).

Since this feature is interpolating the video signal (=it calculates additional frames to be shown in between regular frames to make movement appear smoothly), the effect you describe seems normal to me - in fact, that's the effect HDNM should (and therefore will) provide after all...