PDA

View Full Version : Subtitle support and MKV DTS codec

Velocity
08-26-2011, 11:09 AM
Hi,

I recently bought the 42PFL7676 and I wanted to play a mkv file with DTS audio and muxed subtitles and it didn't work. So I called the Philips customer support and they said that subtitles (srt, ssa, ass etc.) and MKV with the DTS audio codec will be supported in the next firmware update. This update will be released in week 46 and is available for the 7000 series.

Toengel
08-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Hi,

the customers wanted that since the first 2010 TVs arrived at the market in EARLY 2010... so they listend not really to the customers... concerning this issue

Toengel@Alex

Freddo
08-27-2011, 05:43 PM
This is excellent news, if true, as I intend to buy a 55PFL7606.

Erikrijnders
08-27-2011, 06:37 PM
Well?? And the 8000 en 9000 series of 2010?

smart
08-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Well, and the 7000series of 2010?

Would be great to have it. But I assume, this is a new feature.

Toengel
08-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Hi,

I added DTS support to my list (feature 18): http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?2223-Important-Bugs-which-need-to-be-fixed-in-2010-firmware-(TV550R1)

Toengel@Alex

Velocity
08-28-2011, 05:17 PM
I don't know about the 8000 & 9000 series, but the 7000 series from 2010 and 2011 will be supported. If you want to know about the 8000 & 9000 series, I suggest you to call Philips and ask them.

petasis
08-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Well, I understand the solution with subtitles (they are a software fix), but are you sure for DTS?

This requires a license. I think it is better to see the firmware first, and ensure that DTS is supported before we come to conclusions...

sngbcn
08-29-2011, 12:08 PM
DTS: doubt it for both 2k10 and 2k11 as Petasis says this requires a licen$e
subtitles: 2k10 doubt it, 2k11 I also heard this was foreseen.

LawrenceD
10-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Hey Toengel

Two days ago i purchased the PFL7406h , it does support only the AC3 but not the DTS .

I was wondering when the DTS support will be available and in which firmware please .

Thanks

Toengel
10-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Hi,

I don't know if Philips will ever implement DTS support... - I hope that at least a passthrough will be made available, so that a receiver could do the decoding process...

Toengel@Alex

LawrenceD
10-04-2011, 12:01 PM
So what do you think the best way to run my 50 movies MKV With DTS that on my hard drive ?

Toengel
10-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi,

you could use a Blu-ray player or a Home Media Player (such as Philips HMP3000 or HMP5000). Compared to the TVs those devices have also support for external subtitles...

Toengel@Alex

LawrenceD
10-11-2011, 02:18 PM
When i bought the TV , they said that this tv support the MKV files , didn't say that the DTS is not supported .

I could buy the Samsung TV with great led screen and include the MKV DTS support. this is not right that i should pay another 200$ to buy Streamer of Philips product to run the MKV files.

Please Philips release a fix for the DTS and take responsibility for your customers, don't fool your customers .

I read the release notes of the TV , and it said that it support MKV files without any limitations , this is call fooling/ cheating your customers .

Shame on you .

Philips - Thomas
10-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Hi Lawrence,

I'm sorry that you got this wrong Information. But i have to say that we didn't cheat on you.
It is known (also to the Dealers) that DTS is not supported.
Also i don't know any Documentation where we promise a MKV Support without any Limitations.
Please be so kind and send me the Link where i can see this Documentation.

Thanks
Thomas

LawrenceD
10-11-2011, 03:08 PM
Iam sorry to tell you that philips yes cheats on there customer

here is the release document :
http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl7406h_12/42pfl7406h_12_pss_aen.pdf

The MKV Container does not contain any limitation , you just wrote that the MKV container is supported . nothing about that MKV with DTS will not run or MKV with AC3 will run .

For me , not giving all the information to the customer is cheating .

BTW even the dealer , when i called them and told them about the DTS , AC3 issue , he was shocked.

Please take responsibility for your customers and release firmware that contain fix for DTS , i paid a lot of money for this TV which i could buy another TV that do the JOB.

In my case iam telling you , if i don't get this fix iam going to court with this , this is fooling customers , even your dealer didn't know this gap .

I will say it again , Shame on you , such a large company like philips do such things.

xMen
10-11-2011, 03:52 PM
LawrenceD I agree with you. In that document donīt appear some limitation, so Philips should repair.
But philips frequently cheats in his publicity. Watch the next video made by Philips: 9705 appear with record función, but it isnīt truth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GnWtfytDmB8

Watch the next video: Look at the 3D glasses: It isnīt real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lcHJiz6lhvU

But Philips doesnīt take responsability about they do.

Philips - Thomas
10-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Hi Lawrence

Thanks again for your Input, but even on the Product Spread Sheet we do not say anything about that there is no limitation.
In fact, when you look onto the User manual, you have a clear Overview which Container is supported with which Settings, you can see that for mkv you use serveral Audio Codecs, including AC3. DTS is not in the supported List. (manual Page 75)

That you got the Information from you Retailer, as you wrote, that it will work with DTS is sad but this is not something Philips to blame for.
We clearly state which Audio Codecs are supported and as the TV does not have a DTS Decoder, this is not something for a FW Update as this also includes Hardware.

Again, i'm very sorry about your Experience but there is nothing we can do about it.

Regards
Thomas

xMen
10-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Who will take responsibility for Product Spread Sheet?

Philips who will take responsibility for the videos that I put it?

Philips reply please.

xMen
10-12-2011, 07:55 PM
See the link:
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1318415468

Sony take responsability and are philips going to be responsible?.
Thanks.

Toengel
10-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Hi,

what does "dangerous" hardware by Sony to do with subtitle and DTS support?

Toengel@Alex

xMen
10-12-2011, 08:37 PM
It is an example of how other companies are responsible for what they do wrong. Philips should not be held responsible for not specifying in its leaflet limitation dts?. Maybe you do not mind, but it is possible that many people feel aggrieved.

sngbcn
10-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Hi XMen,

With all due respect if Philips were to write on the leaflet what the TV doesn't support it would be endless.

I think DTS support is a very interesting commercial added value as on TV level most manufacturers do not support it, I don't know how much the licenses cost but as an idea for keeping Philips brand alive I would really encourage Philips marketing and development to look into it ASAP for the next generations of TV.

Regards,

xMen
10-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Hi XMen,
if Philips were to write on the leaflet what the TV doesn't support it would be endless.

Most leaflet say: " Net TV: Visit www.philips.com/smarttv to discover the services offering in your country" and a lot of limitations more."
just saying: " *Video Playback Formats have some limitations. Visit http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?1067-Supported-CODEC-overview-for-ALL-models-%28TV-HTS-and-Blu-ray%29 to discover limitations"
It would have been enough.
The leaflet contains a lot of limitations, but not this, Why? is so easy to put what I said, but Philips didnīt say. I Do not think it was an oversight. I'm pretty sure many people have been harmed. Philips Should not be held responsible? What do you think?
Thanks. Regards xMen.

Cookie
10-13-2011, 12:03 PM
@xMen,
I read a lot of posts from you lately on this forum, and I'm getting more and more the impression that you work for a competitor of Philips, trying to bring Philips' reputation down!
That is not the purpose of this forum. This is a place where users of Philips products can post their question and get help from other users.
Please be more constructive instead of abusive, maybe then you will get the answers you want.....

xMen
10-13-2011, 12:53 PM
I do not think the competition is writing in the forums.

I have 2 Philips TV and I'm a fan Philips. I like Philips tv for 2 reasons: the ambilight and design, they are unique.

But I feel uncomfortable with some things about philips:

1š I do not accept that I spend € 4200 on tv and Philips and left me abandoned next year. Philips I do not care to keep updated my TV, that is unacceptable.

2š In addition to my bothers me that Philips made misleading advertising. I have already put several examples. It can be that you don't worry that people feel deceived, but to me yes.

3š Philips puts too many restrictions on their tv. If Philips would do that competition and people ask, Philips would sell more TVs

I think I have the same right as you to speak and say what I think. If you think I say something false or what you do not agree, let me know. I will answer without problems.

I help utmost, but I think it is constructive to see both good things and the bad.

Thank you very much for reading to my and if you can tell me something more you it would appreciate.

Carefully xMen.

Freddo
10-13-2011, 05:12 PM
With all due respect if Philips were to write on the leaflet what the TV doesn't support it would be endless.
Aye, advertisements never show the whole picture. It's up to the buyer to do research first, and that's what I always do before spending some major €€€.

Fortunately, in this internet age, that's a very easy thing to do too. To download the manual, check the reviews and read the impressions by others online and so on.

Regarding TVs, the only bit of information that I found to be hard to find is about how much a specific model suffer from input lag. Good reviews mention it and users sometimes measure it, but no TV manufacturer specifies it anywhere.

welverin
10-14-2011, 08:34 AM
ok i forget dts

but subtiles support ?
external file like srt or embedded in mkv ?

McJobs
10-14-2011, 07:58 PM
I updated my TV (7000 series 2011) to the newest firmware (Q5551 0.14.76.0, published 2011-10-06), and it should support subtitles via USB flash (.srt, .sub), but TV doesnt see them. Subtitles (.srt) have the same name as the video file, but it doesnt work. :(

"Support of USB subtitles (exclusively for file extension srt, sub and sami)"

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpcontent.pl?mid=Link_Software&scy=SK&session=20111014145633_213.151.218.140&ctn=32PFL7486H/12&slg=SLK&dct=FUS&did=SLK&reldct=FHI&file=/files/3/32pfl7486h_12/32pfl7486h_12_fhi_eng.pdf#toolbar=0&zoom=100

Any ideas ?

welverin
10-15-2011, 09:19 AM
my tv is 7605 (2010), via usb read srt file with avi file, but i need to view via dlna

are you sure the name of two file is exacly the same ?
try a.avi and a.srt
srt file is correctly formatted ? vlc or other player play without warning ?

Philips - Thomas
11-22-2011, 10:42 AM
[closed, due to no activity]