PDA

View Full Version : TV doesn't play *.ogg music files.

Antonio Lo Nardo
08-29-2011, 04:37 AM
I realized that my TV LCD 42PFL9664H can't play OGG file (OGG is an audio format, similar to MP3, but open and patent-free).
It's surprising, since there is a Linux heart inside the tv.
Does Philips plan to solve this issue ?

ahasver
08-30-2011, 01:50 AM
I'm hardly missing support for playing Ogg/Vorbis-Audio files too.
But I don't have any hope in updating software for 2009 devices, last update was one year before.
And I know that Ogg/Vorbis needs more processor power to run then mp3. May be that's the reason of missing Ogg-support.

Antonio Lo Nardo
08-30-2011, 06:03 PM
It would be preferable that Philips will modify this situation.
I hope they read posts like this.
Bye.

a_Tom
09-15-2011, 10:39 AM
ogg is open source, means everybody can change the basics of this codec, so everytime someone changes something on the codec, this has to be changed in the TV to in order to support those files... i guess you will not see support for this

Freddo
09-20-2011, 10:00 PM
A few mkv files use ogg for audio, so it would be nice to see support for ogg via a firmware.

Karl Ranseier
07-15-2012, 04:32 AM
First ogg is a container and vorbis is the actual audio compression scheme. So ogg goes together with mkv, mpeg4 et al. Vorbis, the compressions scheme, is a free specification, leaving you the freedom to produce your own encoder/decoder, as long as you fullfill the specification's requirements. If you deviate from the specs of ogg/vorbis, you'd have to give them new names anyway (Hint: Trademark). And last but not least, there is an open source reference implementation. That one can be changed by anyone, as long as it still creates and plays files as described in the specs.

ogg is open source, means everybody can change the basics of this codec, so everytime someone changes something on the codec, this has to be changed in the TV to in order to support those files... i guess you will not see support for this