PDA

View Full Version : Huge English subtitle font

kvic
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
Hi

If you have a MKV with embedded subtitle in text format or external subtitle in .SRT format, 9600 will use a "huge" English font that is so distracting to the movie itself.

Upon checking, I find the problem happens on text format encoded in UTF-8 (aka unicode). If the text file is encoded in other code page e.g. Windows-1252, then the font size is much less distracting.

I don't find it a major issue, but a firmware fix seems easy to do too.

Do other people see the same huge fonts on some of your languages?

Note Blu-rary or DVD will not have such subtitle issue as the subtitles in them are basically images only.

cheers

kwinnie
09-09-2011, 06:02 AM
Don't think it's that huge to me...
WRT your comments, let me try later today ...

kwinnie
09-09-2011, 07:38 AM
i hv taken several pic for that...

http://picturepush.com/public/6498687
http://picturepush.com/public/6498693

i guess it's not so big, it's ok for me. yours looks like this size?

kvic
09-10-2011, 11:25 AM
Here are the screenshots

Huge font: subtitles occupying almost the width of the screen.

More pleasing font size

Both subtitles are text, not any fancy format. With a bit more testing I found it's not related to text encoding.

The huge font is used when playback subtitles within MKV (enconding is S-TEXT/UTF-8).

The more pleasing size is external .SRT subtitle (encoding is also text in UTF-8).

I wish Philips could use the more pleasing font size when play back S-TEXT/UTF-8 subtitles in MKV. Shall be an easy fix? Or better: adding a function to let people choose their preferred font size on text based subtitles. I do reckon some people prefer bigger fonts.

cheers

kwinnie
09-15-2011, 05:25 AM
having an option to adjust so will be better i think
cuz i m the one opting for the larger fonts... :cool:

kvic
09-15-2011, 02:26 PM
having an option to adjust so will be better i think
cuz i m the one opting for the larger fonts... :cool:

Agree. Having the option to adjust would be nice and easy to do. The fonts are already built-in. My only problem with the huge font is it less aesthetically pleasing.

Btw, good to see u here hk'er