PDA

View Full Version : Philips Gogear Spark 4GB Freezing on startup

Jaster
09-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Hello, I've had this Philips GoGear Spark 4 GB for about 1 to 2 years now and it's been quite good, although charging has been glitchy once in a while.
Unfortunately, today it started being unresponsive to the startup button. I CAN make it start by putting it in the computer and "charging" it (I don't think there's any real connection, as the computer doesn't seem to know anything about the device being connected) and then unplugging it from the computer, making it auto-startup.
Thing is that, even then, it freezes as soon as it reaches the Philips logo, never continuing to the Gogear Logo or any useful function.
I've already tried the Reset button, that did nothing, and since the computer doesn't seem to know that the device it plugged in, the Device Manager does nothing.

Please, this is my only source of music for at least the next year.. I can't just buy a new one, because I'll be abroad for the next year and can't reach my music collection.

Thank you,
Jaster.

Jaster
09-12-2011, 05:55 AM
BUMP - I don't usually do that, but I am really heavily desperate by now..

Sync
09-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Might be worth trying to charge your MP3 player for a minimum of 3 hours before trying the reset again (when connected to the PC). Sometimes you have to hold down the reset button longer than 10 seconds for it to reset.

Once you have reset connect the player to your PC but make sure you hold down the recovery key. This is usually the Volume + key on the player. Without doing this the device manager my not recognise your device.

Here's a full FAQ on repairing your player: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/faqview?refnr=0073274&ctn=SA2SPK04SN/02&dct=QAC&scy=gb&slg=ENG&session=20110914041401_85.90.232.145&searchtext=reset

Hope this helps :)

Jaster
09-14-2011, 05:09 PM
well, I have tried for quite a while ( not entirely 3 hours), but I don't think it'll work, as it doesn't seem to make a proper connection to the computer - the computer doesn't say that it's found an extra drive/usb/input or anything.

the main problem with charging it for 3 hours is that I can't be anywhere near the computer for 3 hours, as the charger cable is very picky with placement (if I move the player/computer a millimeter, it will fail).

I already read the FAQ :)

Thanks for the reply! much obliged

Sync
09-15-2011, 07:01 AM
no problem! :)

If the cable is picky with placement and does not work when you move it slightly then it may be that the cable is damaged in some way. Do you have another USB cable to try? or have you tried an another USB port on your PC?

Jaster
09-15-2011, 04:07 PM
It's not my PC - it's the same thing on both my stationary and laptop, and other USBs work fine.
It may be the cable, but It's always done the job in the end, so I doubt that it's the root of the whole problem. I could try switching the cable and see if it's less picky, but to be perfectly honest, I doubt that charging it for a longer time will make a difference..

EDIT: I found a better cable, I'll try to charge it for about 4 hours and see what happens.. hopefully that'll work. if not, are there any options left for me?
(it says OK to disconnect already.. doesn't bode well, I don't think)

Jaster
09-16-2011, 09:34 PM
I just charged it for 4 hours or so and reset it and... nothing
it's still as unresponsive as ever.

Philips - Cassandra
09-20-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi Jaster,

Thanks for joining our sound support forum!:)

Usually the reset and repair through the device manager/songbird will resolve issues similar to yours.

As you are still having a problem with your MP3 player after trying all of the troubleshooting I have sent you a private message with further information for you.

Please check your inbox!

Many thanks
Cassandra

indra914
11-03-2011, 02:58 AM
I have same problem too..
I bought my philips gogear spark 4 months ago, and now the spark freezing at startup.
Please someone help me ..

Philips - Cassandra
11-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi indra914,

Try resetting your player by holding down the reset button for about 10 seconds. If your player still is freezing when it starts up I would suggest trying the following:

1. Connect your player to your PC
2. Open the songbird software and use the repair mode through songbird.

Before using the repair mode in Songbird it is important that the version of songbird is correct for your player. If you are not sure uninstall and download the correct version from the support page.

If the repair mode does not work to resolve this please provide me with the model number and the songbird version that you are using to help you further.

Kind regards,
Cassandra

histephenson007
12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Hi, I've been having the same problem as you since about a few days. I've got the exact same model of go gear spark 4gb mp3 player. And now, I think I almost fixed it!! ^^

So, basically what I did was:

Open the Phillips Songbird on your computer
Reset your go gear spark (it shouldn't show the philips sign anymore)
Connect the gogear spark to the computer
Now, while you are connecting the gogear spark, press the Vol + button. And keep pressing it for about 5-10 sec.
Something should pop up in your Philips Songbird screen in the *devices section (a black box). This shows that the device is connected
Now, go to Tools. And press Repair device (or something similar.. i can't access it now because my device is being repaired)
A list of gogear items should pop up (the first time I tried, only a few popped up... but when I cancelled and did the previous step (Tools -- > Repair device) the whole list showed up.. so don't panic if you can't find gogear spark the first time :0
From there, I guess you can just follow the fabulously simple philips Songbird instruction :)

Hello, I've had this Philips GoGear Spark 4 GB for about 1 to 2 years now and it's been quite good, although charging has been glitchy once in a while.
Unfortunately, today it started being unresponsive to the startup button. I CAN make it start by putting it in the computer and "charging" it (I don't think there's any real connection, as the computer doesn't seem to know anything about the device being connected) and then unplugging it from the computer, making it auto-startup.
Thing is that, even then, it freezes as soon as it reaches the Philips logo, never continuing to the Gogear Logo or any useful function.
I've already tried the Reset button, that did nothing, and since the computer doesn't seem to know that the device it plugged in, the Device Manager does nothing.

Please, this is my only source of music for at least the next year.. I can't just buy a new one, because I'll be abroad for the next year and can't reach my music collection.

Thank you,
Jaster.

histephenson007
12-22-2011, 11:58 AM
btw.. its taking a hell lotta time for it to get fixed - -
Merry Christmas!!

kwinnie
12-23-2011, 02:57 AM
hi histephenson007

yep it can take up quite long if you do it the first time. seems your process goes quite well !
actually, so when we hv this freezing problem or whatever other problem... there are 3 steps to solves this...
1) Reset > just to press the reset button using a pen tip or a pin
2) if that doesnt work, then try upgrade the firmware or format. songbird > device pane > tools tab> upgrade firmware/ format player
3) if the above doesn't work also, then we try repair...

so repair is always the last steps... :) also to do repair, the data inside the device will be gone. but if just to upgrade firmware, the info will still be there.