PDA

View Full Version : BDP3100 - Network File Access

mastaudig
09-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Hello everybody,

as recently discussed in thread

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?2023-PFL-7515-Playing-.VOB-via-DLNA&p=10937#post10937

I would like to have comfortable access to my backuped dvds, which are stored on a QNAP ts-101 NAS. As extension to the 37PFL7515H I think about buying the BDP3100 Blu-Ray player and again ask myself, if this player is able to read and play the .vob files from the network-shares, what hopefully enables me to select different languages and subtitles.

Has anybody made experiences with this blu-ray players and NAS?

Thank you for any response, greetings,
Martin

Shurakai
09-13-2011, 08:50 AM
The BDP can't access the shares of your NAS via NFS or SMB. Such protocols are not supported. You'll need to stream the movies over the network using a DLNA-Server, either the one installed on your NAS, or a server installed on a PC, which can access the movies on your NAS. In general the available funcionality (FF/RW/time search/chapters/subtitles) will be very limited when using DLNA.
I never tried to stream VOBs so far, but I doubt it will work. Have a look in the BDP forum here, somewhere is a post where all supported codecs and containers are listed. As far as I remember, the VOB container is not supported.

If you want a DVD/Blu-Ray Player you are fine with BDP from Philips.
If you want a Multimedia-Player and don't want to worry about compatibility with different codecs/containers/formats/files/network-protocols, buy a Multimedia-Player.

mastaudig
09-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks Shurakai, for your reply and advice.

In first instance I would like to have a blu-ray player and the discussed one seems to be a good compromise between price and performance.
The streaming of VOBs via DLNA works (at least with my 73PFL7515) but there is no access to alternative audiostreams or subtitles, that forces me to use a laptop as mediaplayer - which is not the end of the world but a little more effort. I totaly understand that a player doesn't speek all the required networking protocols, I just hoped that anybody might have found a workaround to gain access to alternative audio streams.

Thanks,
Martin

kwinnie
09-14-2011, 03:58 AM
Let's see if I can test that... :)
I have BDP3200/ BDP5100/ BDP9600... if you can send me some .vob files, i can help testing :D PM me if necessary

mastaudig
09-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi,

thanks for your offer to help...
My vob files which come with diffrent audio streams are quite big (1GB), so it's difficult to send them or even put them online, but if you have a DVD on hand you can browse the file system and find the vob files in the video_ts folder.

Thank you,
Martin

Philips - Remko
11-22-2011, 10:47 AM
closed, due to no activity