PDA

View Full Version : Audio drop outs with digital optical out of 42PDL7906

hidders
09-13-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi all,

I very recently became the proud owner of a 42PDL7906H, but I'm having some problems with using the digital optical output port. Especially when watching HD broadcasts (and as far as I can tell now only there) I get frequent drop-outs in the audio that comes out of my receiver (an old but trusty Onkyo TX-SR502) of around 1 second, sometimes as often as every few seconds. I've tried several different optical cables on different ports of my receiver, but the problem persists. The receiver is also connected optically to a Bluray player and an XBox, and in both cases the sound is fine, so the receiver seems fine. Also the sound on the TV speakers is fine, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the cable signal. Since I suspected it might be a firmware problem I've updated to the most recent firmware (version: 000.010.105.000) but that didn't help.

I will probably be soon calling the TV shop where I bought it, but I was curious whether this problem had reared its head already elsewhere. Also I'm hoping a little this might be something that might be fixed soon with a firmware update, since I could probably survive a little while with only sound from the TV speakers, which is actually not that bad. :-)

Kind regards,

-- Jan Hidders

SevenW
09-20-2011, 07:15 PM
I experience the same problems with the same model. I would describe the drop/outs as very brief mutes. Mutes of at most half a second, and they can repeat every two seconds on HD channels.

My post is here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?2402-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.10.105.0-for-6xx6T-and-7xx6H-K-M-T-series-(2011-models)&p=12543&viewfull=1#post12543)

SevenW

hidders
09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Yes, sounds like the same problem. Thanks for pointing me to your posting. Let's hope we get some acknowledgement from Philips about this problem.

Philips - Thomas
09-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Hi Guys

Can you both please send me the following informations via PM:
- Exact Model No.
- Serial No.
- Current FW.
- What Devices are connected (including Model and Brand)?
- How are they connected?

Thanks a lot

Regards
Thomas

Philips - Thomas
10-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Hi

Can you please send me those Data?

Regards
Thomas

hidders
10-04-2011, 11:14 AM
I sent an e-mail (clicking on your user name, choosing "send email"). You did not receive it? I thought that's what you meant by "PM".

Philips - Thomas
10-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Hi hidders,

sorry but i didn't receive your Email, can you just send me a Private Message via this Forum?

Regards
Thomas

Haubada
10-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi,

I have the same problem with my 42PFL7666/K02!
I have contacted the german support for many times,
but never got a reasonable response!
You can read my problem in german language here:

http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=152&thread=8918&

and here:

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-98-15312.html

@Thomas: Should I also send you my informations?

Regards,
Heiko

Philips - Thomas
10-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for your Input.
We are investigating the Issue and as soon as i get News, i will post them here.

Regards
Thomas

franky1275
10-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Hello @ll

For me its exactly the same issue with my new 47PFL7696/k02.
TV is connected optical to a Panasonix AV-Receiver, which shows a lot of drop outs of the
digital tone.
This ONLY affects the HD+ broadcasts, on the free HD broadcasts there is NO ISSUE.
Furthermore there are no outages on the TV itself !

I changed now every hardware I could:
TV was changed, LNB changed, tried it with different optical cablings
changed the "old" Panasonic to a new Yamaha (There were outages if I used HDMI connection as well !!!)
added amplifier (which caused the TV to get overdriven/clipped)
Added attenuator (and removed it again)
=> There was a strange behaviour: after adding attenuator of -3dB, the HBBTV is working.
=> The popup in the lower right corner is working since than, also still working after I removed the att. again.....
STRANGE.......

Anything I tried did not help in any way :(

There is already a support request open @ Philips DE since weeks, but there is not really any
usefull reply from Philips yet.

Please let me know if you need some more info

Regards from Germany

Frank

bojo
10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
I too am having this problem .I tried any which way but no joy .Model 42pfl7666t/12 snVNIA 1131001563 up to date firmware connectend to Samsung sound via HDMI + optical cable.

franky1275
10-25-2011, 08:37 AM
I updated my 47PFL7696K/02 to Version Q5551_0.14.76.0 some days ago - and still no change .
There are still drop outs :(

Toengel
10-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Hi,

try the new firmware 14.84...

Toenge

franky1275
10-27-2011, 09:23 AM
:(

I tried 14.84 on my 47PFL7696/k02
NO change droppouts are still there...

Any news from Philips yet ?

Ilja
10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
I have the same problem: Im using an optical cable to connect to my Marantz AV Receiver. Frequent but randomly my receiver drops audio for a split second and gives the message in the display: "No signal" The audio from TV is not interrupted.

This happens only during watching normal HD-TV on Ziggo cable with Ziggo CAM module.

Only other device connected to the TV is a Marantz DVD player via scart.

I dont have the latest FW but the one before last. (release was around 5th october?)

borje
11-10-2011, 02:49 PM
When I got my 58PFL9955H i got a sycn problem with the sound form my IP-TV box, dut to the picture processing time. I had no delay setting on my NAD 737 audio amplifier, although many moden amplifiers have a delay for this purpose. I solved the problem by connecting the audio through the TV and using the delay function in the Philips TV. I worked excellent and I was happy... until I ordered HD-channels.

I experinec exaclty what you describe. In HD drop outs appear regularly. If I swith to the same channel in non-HD the sound is good. If I reconnect the sound directly from the IP-TV box the sound is also good (but a little to early). I also tried to swith of the delay in the TV but the drop outs remain.

The philips TV has SP/DIF digital sound output (and HDMI but my amplifier does not have HDMI audio input). The box has optical sound output.

I am using the firmware from august 2011-08-24.

One solution can be to turn of as much as possible of the philips picture processing and hope that the sync problem gets minimal.

Other soultions...

franky1275
12-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi @ll
most of the philips picture processing things are switched off on my TV.
But it did not help really :(

There was an update for the HD+-Modul about 1 or 2 weeks ago.
This helped a bit, so there are not as much sound outage as there were before, but they
are still there.......

And there are still no updates from Phillips :mad:

SevenW
12-15-2011, 10:32 PM
This problem lost my attention, as I found a workaround with the previous firmware. I was able to set in the configuration to use stereo signal. I think it was the surround parameter on the audio page. All the Ziggo HD channels have both Dolby D and MPEG 2-channel audio.

Today I tested it with the 10.84 FW, and the problem is solved!

the solution is however very interesting. There is no way to select the Dolby-D track anymore to be send to the surround receiver through the HDMI-ARC. Only the MPEG 2-channel signal is selected. So I guess that in case of multichannel Dolby-D audio I do not have the benefits anymore. Luckely, currently I do not have channels transmitting multi-channel audio.

dog soldier
01-14-2012, 07:43 PM
Hi,

i have an 7656 and fw 14.093 the sound drops are still there , my 5.1 (pioneer) is connected via hdmi cable1.4 --- any tips .....is philips working on this problem....i don`t think so.....

ciao dog soldier

svenholman
02-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Hello,

I have the same problem with my 42PFL7606 with firmware 14.095 and my Philips HTR5000 home cinema set. Every few seconds there's a audio dropout.

I've tried with multiple optical cables etc, but no solution what so ever.

I hope Philips has a solution for it, because it's pretty problematic, cause we need to play the audio through our home cinema set...

We also watch Ziggo HD with an intergrated Irdeto HD CI+ module!

Please respond Philips!

Ottavio
02-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Hello,

Same here, 40PFL7605 and dolby sounds by digital Coax; not only with Ziggo HD but also with the sound of the Mede8er.

Hope Philips comes with a solution...

Tobsie
02-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Exactly the same issue here with a 47pfl7606 and Ziggo CI+ (@smit interface). I have the latest firmware Q5551_0.14.95.0.
Trough optical the sound stutters every few seconds, when the sound goes trough lcd speakers the sound is fine.

Lassy
02-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Same here.

Since I've connected my 46PFL7605H12 (FW .046 and using CI+) to my new Yamaha RX-V671 AV (Latest FW) receiver I experience audio drop-outs. The TV is connected with coax digital audio (SPDIF) to the receiver.
I've also tried to get it to work with HDMI Audio Return Channel (ARC) but that does not work for me at all (no audio return) for some reason (using HDMI 1.4 cable).

The receiver shows the audio drop outs on its display as well. The drop outs occur frequently (every second) after changing channels after which it becomes less frequently but still annoying.

I still need to test on wich of the channels this occurs and if it can be solved by changing it by setting it to 2 channel mpeg audio output.

I thought that this issue was solved with one the latest sofware versions...

agmarco
03-01-2012, 11:26 AM
See next post. Sorry.

agmarco
03-01-2012, 12:51 PM
After a chat with a nice Philips employee I can say this.
Non of there TV's can output DD to external amplifiers.
Only PCM is possible. Thats why the dropout occurs.
I wonder if this is written in the manual somewhere and why it works partially.
I think there is a major fault which they can't fix but I'am not an engineer.
In the Channel settings there is a field language where you can change the output and that should "fix" the problem.
Very strange and I'am not satisfied. :-(

Toengel
03-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Hi,

I can output DD 5.1 from TV tuners to external AMPs via SPDIF.

Toengel@Alex

agmarco
03-01-2012, 01:13 PM
According to Philips thats impossible!! Congratulations. ;-) I think that only some amplifiers work 100%. Philips asked me which amplifier do you use? I was wondering why ask when it is not possible at all? Do you use an optical Toslink cable or a coaxial cable? And did it work without changing something?

Toengel
03-01-2012, 01:48 PM
Hi,

on 2010 TVs one have Coaxial Cable and one need to setup the audio (somewhere in TV channel setup) to "extended" (not standard). However, not all broadcasts offer DD 5.1.

Toengel@Alex

agmarco
03-01-2012, 02:05 PM
In this post there are at least 3 people with the same problem while using the coaxial cable. The supportdesk told me to change it to "Standard" in teh setting you mentioned. It will work but it is still strange that DD works for 95% of the time if you take the dropouts off. Is it just "luck" it works 95% or is this a bug which can't be fixed. I'am verry happy with my Philips but still.......

agmarco
03-02-2012, 06:54 AM
Changed my Channel settings -> audio format to Standard and my amplifier still receives digital sound but now without the dropouts! Sounds good enough for me.

Lassy
03-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Changed my Channel settings -> audio format to Standard and my amplifier still receives digital sound but now without the dropouts! Sounds good enough for me.

With standard audio format you have no 5.1 codecs but only stereo! Switching to standard audio should not be the solution for this problem. Philips should fix this so you can enjoy to the original audio codecs as broadcasted.

ozzytaste
03-07-2012, 08:09 PM
Hi all, i have a question. Is it possible that i can get the sound of my soundcard (Creative Sound Blaster SB 5.1 vx) from my PC to my tv??? İs it possible with an s/pdif cable? My TV model is: Philips 42pdl7906h/12. At the back of my tv i see an input - Audio IN DVI/VGA

@ Philips administrator: It would be nice when we get an update with skype support. Just like other TV brands.

petasis
03-07-2012, 09:29 PM
I think you can. You can get analog audio from the pc with the DVI/VGA input, and digital with an HDMI input. You cannot import anything through SPDIF, as the single SPDIF connector the TV has is an ouptut connector. The TV emmits an SPDIF signal from there.

ozzytaste
03-07-2012, 11:29 PM
I think you can. You can get analog audio from the pc with the DVI/VGA input, and digital with an HDMI input. You cannot import anything through SPDIF, as the single SPDIF connector the TV has is an ouptut connector. The TV emmits an SPDIF signal from there.

What kind of cable do i have to use from my sound card to the tv? Can you place a picture please. Thank you for the reaction....

petasis
03-08-2012, 09:50 AM
If your pc has an HDMI connection, just connect the pc with an HDMI cable, and you are done.

If you don't have an HDMI output, then you need a cable like this:

http://shop.philips.nl/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&Locale=nl_NL&SiteID=rpeeub2c&productID=126433400

There is some info on how to connect a PC in the manual. In the Greek one I searched, was on page 66. Perhaps you should look around page 66 in the manual in your language (you can download it from the support section).

ozzytaste
03-08-2012, 11:16 AM
If your pc has an HDMI connection, just connect the pc with an HDMI cable, and you are done.

If you don't have an HDMI output, then you need a cable like this:

http://shop.philips.nl/store?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&Locale=nl_NL&SiteID=rpeeub2c&productID=126433400

There is some info on how to connect a PC in the manual. In the Greek one I searched, was on page 66. Perhaps you should look around page 66 in the manual in your language (you can download it from the support section).

I have an HDMI output but my graphic card is Zotac 8400GS. So it doen't support audio via HDMI:( Thats the problem my friend. I thank you for your reaction...

petasis
03-08-2012, 01:06 PM
I think these cards from nvidia needed a small cable, that you connect the spdif header of your motherboard/sound card to the card, directing the sound through HDMI. Have you checked if your sound card has such a header?

I see accessories like these:

http://shop.zotac.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/zt-84seq3p-fcl_image7%20%5B800x600%5D.jpg
(From here: http://pden.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=70&category_id=41&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1)

ozzytaste
03-08-2012, 07:57 PM
I think these cards from nvidia needed a small cable, that you connect the spdif header of your motherboard/sound card to the card, directing the sound through HDMI. Have you checked if your sound card has such a header?

I see accessories like these:

http://shop.zotac.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/zt-84seq3p-fcl_image7%20%5B800x600%5D.jpg
(From here: http://pden.zotac.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=70&category_id=41&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1)

Yes i did, there is the possibility to connect spdif, i have the cable to but than i cant use my external creative sound card:(

petasis
03-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Then your only solution with the external audio card is to use its analog outputs.

franky1275
03-15-2012, 01:10 PM
In the meantime I'm using 0.14.96.0

Still the same drops.
Also I could not use channel up/down after turning on the TV from standby.
Only one button works after starting TV => Menue
As soon as I used this, all others are working as well again.....

I'm getting more and more p**sd :mad: with my Philips TV and the support we are getting from Philips

Philips - Thomas
03-15-2012, 01:58 PM
Hello,

Thanks @ all for your feedback. We'll investigate those audio drop issues with optical audio connections.

Regards,
Thomas

ozzytaste
03-15-2012, 03:28 PM
I hope you will Thomas. Thanx

Hello,

Thanks @ all for your feedback. We'll investigate those audio drop issues with optical audio connections.

Regards,
Thomas

Yeahroen
03-26-2012, 09:10 PM

Hi, Thomas. I really hope that this problem gets solved. It is so frustrating.

jeroenV
04-16-2012, 07:57 AM
I also have the dropouts with Coax on 47PFL7606H. I have the latest firmware. I hope Philips will solve this issue becouse I bought this TV not only for the smooth picture, I have a 10K euro audio installation behind it and I can`t enjoy Sound on HD broadcasts.

franky1275
04-26-2012, 07:04 AM
Are there any news / updates available yet ?

Yeahroen
04-27-2012, 07:23 AM
Are there any news / updates available yet ?
Yes there is an update!!
But it doesn't solve the audio drop-outs :mad:

iceraul
04-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Yes there is an update!!
But it doesn't solve the audio drop-outs :mad:

I have the same Problem !!!
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?5696-Extreme-Sound-Breaks-by-Using-Digital-Optical-Out-(HD-Channel)&p=31717#post31717

Only on Digital Out , only Private HD Channels , Tons on Sound Drops / Breaks.

This TV coast me 1000€ !!! and it look shit

Ilja
05-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Hello,

Regards,
Thomas

Thomas,

Could you please elaborate on the course of action Philips is going to take? I'd very much appreciate if, and I'm as would many others who have this problem, there would be a bit more communication from Philips on this issue.

To an issue stemming back from September last year, your reaction in March has been the only one so far. I would like to know if we can be kept a bit less in the dark on the progress.

Is there any another way to get Philips in to gear?

Ilja
05-07-2012, 07:51 PM
I got the problem solved. I installed the latest firmware.

What may be usefull for other users: the software update via TV internet is not the same as the firmware update. Menu-configuration-software update-> insert usb. connect usb to PC, click link, download file, extract downloaded file to USB drive. Plug in USB into TV and it will automaticly update.

Merely updating software via doesnt work.

Yeahroen
05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
I've done the same but I still have drop-outs.

jeroenV
05-08-2012, 07:24 AM
I got the problem solved. I installed the latest firmware.

What may be usefull for other users: the software update via TV internet is not the same as the firmware update. Menu-configuration-software update-> insert usb. connect usb to PC, click link, download file, extract downloaded file to USB drive. Plug in USB into TV and it will automaticly update.

Merely updating software via doesnt work.

Please share the link with the Firmware you used.

Ilja
05-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Please share the link with the Firmware you used.

Ok, will do as soon as I get home from work.

Ilja
05-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Ok appearantly it's not a link, it's an html document,

It will send me to this: file:///I:/update.htm. there i can click on a button that says : "Send ID" That will than lead me to an update.

This HTML document is something your TV will load to your USB drive. To get this doc go to: Menu, Configuratie, Software bijwerken-USB (Dont choose internet cause that does nothing.)

iceraul
05-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Ok appearantly it's not a link, it's an html document,

It will send me to this: file:///I:/update.htm. there i can click on a button that says : "Send ID" That will than lead me to an update.

This HTML document is something your TV will load to your USB drive. To get this doc go to: Menu, Configuratie, Software bijwerken-USB (Dont choose internet cause that does nothing.)

???

please make a step by step solution

Ilja
05-09-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a 42PFL7406H/12 TV, I dont know if the steps will be exactly for other models but it should point you in the right direction.

step 1: turn on TV
step 2: Plug in an empty USB drive
step 3: go to menu (click button with House icon on remote control)
step 4: once in menu, at the bottom of the page there should be an icon resembling a radar wheel called Configuration. CLick select on remote control. This should take you into the configuration menu.
step 5: in these menu you have 4 or 5 options: sound, picture etc Use the directional pad on your remote to go to "Software Update" and click select on remote controle to enter the software update menu.
step 6: within the software update menu you can either choose "internet" or "USB" use direction keys and select on remote control to select "ÜSB" It will tell you that it will put an ID file on the USB stick, press ok.
step 7: remove USB drive from TV when the TV has put ID file on the USB drive.
step 8: start PC and plug in USB drive to PC.
step 9: browse to USB drive and click on the file. This will open a HTML doc with one button it, called "Send ID". Click that. It will than either tell you that your TV is up to date or ask you if you want to download a zip file of about 75mb.
step 10: download the zip file and extract it to the USB.
step 11: when extraction complete, unplug usb from PC and plug into TV. It should automaticly detect the USB and start updating the firmware. If not, turn off TV and turn back on with USB drive plugged in.

Excuses for the childish description of how to do but I hope this will work for you.

iceraul
05-10-2012, 01:43 PM
I have a 42PFL7406H/12 TV, I dont know if the steps will be exactly for other models but it should point you in the right direction.

step 1: turn on TV
step 2: Plug in an empty USB drive
step 3: go to menu (click button with House icon on remote control)
step 4: once in menu, at the bottom of the page there should be an icon resembling a radar wheel called Configuration. CLick select on remote control. This should take you into the configuration menu.
step 5: in these menu you have 4 or 5 options: sound, picture etc Use the directional pad on your remote to go to "Software Update" and click select on remote controle to enter the software update menu.
step 6: within the software update menu you can either choose "internet" or "USB" use direction keys and select on remote control to select "ÜSB" It will tell you that it will put an ID file on the USB stick, press ok.
step 7: remove USB drive from TV when the TV has put ID file on the USB drive.
step 8: start PC and plug in USB drive to PC.
step 9: browse to USB drive and click on the file. This will open a HTML doc with one button it, called "Send ID". Click that. It will than either tell you that your TV is up to date or ask you if you want to download a zip file of about 75mb.
step 10: download the zip file and extract it to the USB.
step 11: when extraction complete, unplug usb from PC and plug into TV. It should automaticly detect the USB and start updating the firmware. If not, turn off TV and turn back on with USB drive plugged in.

Excuses for the childish description of how to do but I hope this will work for you.

and at last which Version is after that on the TV ????

DerShortyy
05-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Hi Ice,
FW 14.97 is the latest FW Version for your device. In a couple of days there will be FW 14.98 available for you 7006 Modell. There will be an announcement on Toengels Blog. If you had read carefully on Toengels Blog even 14.98 won´t fix your problem... In my Opinion the Kabeldeutschland CI+Modul isn´t compatible with the some Philips devices.

Yeahroen
06-04-2012, 03:37 PM
14.98 installed and it only got worse.
Called support (again) and they told me that they're working on it.
But no date when this will be fixed.

jeroenV
06-06-2012, 07:38 AM
14.98 installed and it only got worse.
Called support (again) and they told me that they're working on it.
But no date when this will be fixed.

I have tried the update on my 47PFL7606H/12, but the dropouts are still there. I have no faith in Philips any more, they keep telling lies over and over. My next Television will be Panasonic or Samsung :mad: