PDA

View Full Version : How to: Show Files with the correct sorting via USB

Philips - Thomas
09-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Question:
How can I get the TV showing files (music/pictures) in the way I see them on my PC in Windows Explorer?

Answer:
- Create a new folder on the stick,
- Go to the folder where your pictures are located,
- Sort them in the wanted order,
- Use CTRL+A to select, and CTRL+C to copy all files,
- Navigate to the new folder on your USB-stick,
- Then use CTRL+V to paste the files on the USB-stick.

Important:
Don't use the mouse for any of these actions, otherwise the files will be written in the wrong order!

Regards,
Thomas

Toengel
09-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Hi,

some insides why the TV shows a different sorting order and why the procedure stated by Thomas works...

The TVs sort the files according to the File Allocation Table (and not alphabetically etc.). The TV searches the USB device sector by sector. So if you apply the procedure stated by Thomas, the files are written in the order as on your PC (alphabetically). And now the TV also shows this order...

Correct me, if I was wrong...

Toengel@Alex

a_Tom
09-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Hi,

some insides why the TV shows a different sorting order and why the procedure stated by Thomas works...

The TVs sort the files according to the File Allocation Table (and not alphabetically etc.). The TV searches the USB device sector by sector. So if you apply the procedure stated by Thomas, the files are written in the order as on your PC (alphabetically). And now the TV also shows this order...

Correct me, if I was wrong...

Toengel@Alex

yeah, thats what the support wrote to me also...

kwinnie
09-28-2011, 09:33 AM
hi both, do you know if this is applicable to BDP as well?

Toengel
09-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Hi,

I will test this...

Toengel@Alex

PS: @kwinnie: you need to delete some more old private messages - I cannot answer your last PM

drunkenm
09-29-2011, 01:32 PM
You have got to be kidding me...

matthias
11-13-2011, 02:29 PM
I agree - this is a _MUST FIX_ issue!

Yesterday evening, friends brought a USB drive with pictures from their holiday and we started with the first 100orso pictures, then they got mixed up and were no longer sorted.
There was NO WAY to continue watching on the TV and we had to switch to a Laptop.

The proposed workaround didn't work, because it would have taken too long and we wanted to continue watching the pictures.

I also experienced the same when I wanted to watch a movie that was split in several parts.
It didn't continue directly, but jumped to a different movie, because the FAT-order was different.

PLEASE, Philips, this is VERY important! Please fix that!
This is very important if I really want to use the TV for watching pictures!

Matthias

PS: Please also fix this for the old TVs (my parents own a 32PFL5405H and they already complained about that, because this was one of the reasons they bought a new TV - to be able to watch pictures)

Stefan_G.
11-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Hello,

are there any new informations about this issue? I suffer, too.

Herrminator
11-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Some solutions to this problem can be found here: http://www.murraymoffatt.com/software-problem-0010.html

Enjoy!

matthias
11-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks for these hints.
However, this is only a workaround if I prepare the disk myself.

When friends come to visit and bring their pictures and videos, the just bring a HDD or USB stick, and I don't want to say - "please wait, let me first sort them on my PC, because my TV won't probably show them in the right order".

Stefan_G.
11-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Hi Herrminator,
Some solutions to this problem can be found here: http://www.murraymoffatt.com/software-problem-0010.html

Enjoy!I can not enjoy, because my HD was working about 24 hours. :( This is not a solution!

bds
12-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Examples of sorting:

MS Windows and other TV: 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12 etc

Philips: 01,10-19,02,20,21,22,23-29,03,30 etc

What am I doing wrong?

matthias
12-05-2011, 08:34 AM
Did you bother to try the workaround Thomas suggested in the first post?

bds
12-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Did you bother to try the workaround Thomas suggested in the first post?
Change the folder does not affect the result.
I never use the mouse to copy files

Why the wrong sort ONLY Phillips?
MSDOS, MS Windows, Samsung everything is fine!

matthias
12-08-2011, 09:45 AM
@bds: Did you create a new directory where you copied the new files? Renaming the directory or just Moving the files is most probably not good enough.

matthias
12-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm really sorry about this double post (see also here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?2574-Sort-files-by-name-on-USB-device&p=17271&viewfull=1#post17271)), but except that workaround (which is unfortunately not practiable in real usage scenarios), I didn't find any comments from Philips whether this will be fixed, and I consider this bug of utmost importance.

Because this problem occurs when friends come to visit and bring their holiday pictures on USB, it's quite embarrassing to start, getting a scrambled order and having say "sorry, my Philips TV messes up the order".

This bug is something a lot of people will associate with Philips TVs, even if they don't own one.
And the workaround doesn't help in that case, because it's my friends USB HDD/stick..

They will remember
- magnificent picture quality,
- but doesn't play camera videos and
- shows pictures in (partly) wrong order.

I'd give this bug a 12 out of 10 importance, because this is noticable to many potential Philips TV buyers.

I think, watching pictures from USB-Stick/HDD directly on the TV is one of the important points of buying a new TV. And if this feature doesn't work as expected and messes up the order, it leaves a very bad aftertaste.

Personally, I like the Ambilight, so for me, there was no alternative, but when a friend asked me what TV I would buy, and I mentioned the sorting bug, you can probably imagine what he said :-(.

And I'm really worried I haven't heard from Philips yet if this is on the internal bug list or not.

@Philips:
Are there plans to fix this for the 2010 and 2011 TVs? Or better: when? ;-)

Thanks,
Matthias

bds
12-08-2011, 02:33 PM
@bds: Did you create a new directory where you copied the new files? Renaming the directory or just Moving the files is most probably not good enough.
Yes, I created a new directory.
Yes, I copied all the files without using a mouse in this directory.
The problem is the TV Philips

matthias
12-08-2011, 02:53 PM
The reason I'm asking is to understand at what point it goes wrong. Until now it seemed it was related to the directory order. but it seems, there is more to it, at least in your case. Can you try these (http://www.murraymoffatt.com/software-problem-0010.html) programs that Herrminator suggested?

Stefan_G.
12-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Why is the new firmware bringing no improvement to this issue?

Stefan_G.
01-22-2012, 01:33 PM
Philips,

when you reading this, please have a look on this wishlist (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4241-Wishlist-for-42PFL7696K-02-(and-similar)-software).

Cheers
Stefan

aleperer
03-26-2012, 05:54 PM
A simple and very quick solution is to utilize a "folder sorter" utility each time you copy, delete or move files with your PC.

As an instance see the follwing link (http://funblog.themeparks.de/2009/03/sort-mp3-files-in-fat-folders-mp3dirsorter/)

I hope it could help....

Ciao.

marpsoft
04-12-2012, 03:33 AM
I am using utility that was provided under this link:

http://mympxplayer.org/viewtopic.php?t=755

Works fine and fast with usb hdd.
It sorts folders nad files (dont forget to check subfolder option)