PDA

View Full Version : Phasing-in YouTube leanback on 2011 devices.

Philips - Mark
10-07-2011, 07:34 AM
As soon as 2011 TV’s and 2011 Bluray players get a software upgrade the current YouTube Application will automatically be replaced with the new YouTube leanback App.

YouTube leanback offers instant playback of full screen video in HD quality!
It is defined by YouTube as the standard for YouTube on TV!

The user interface is based on comfort when using it via the remote control, with instantly and continuously playback of the videos, selected per category.

Also take a look here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bITse42LpKA).

Remarks:

- At first use of YouTube leanback a pop-up message can be shown, reporting availability of a software upgrade. Just click for approval.

- At start of YouTube leanback, a loading indicator is shown. This will take seconds, up to one minute, depending on your internet speed.

- After the loading indicator, YouTube starts immediately with playback of a video. Up, down and OK button will trigger menu options.

- Due to hardware limitations, the 2009 and 2010 TV’s & 2009 and 2010 Bluray-players will not be able to access YouTube leanback. Here the current YouTube version remains.

- 3D is supported.

- The log-in option in YouTube leanback is not yet offered in this application. It will be implemented in a next release.

- The YouTube Icon in the App gallery did not change, but when installed it, it is recognizable by a red and black YouTube logo.

- The software upgrade is provided automatically.

xMen
10-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I donīt believe hardware limitation for 2010 tv. 2010 and 2011 have same architecture (TV550) and similar processor (Same tipe PNX85500). You can see in Service Manual you can get in Internet.
Philips doesnīt want to update tv. Philips doesnīt want to work. Philips want that you buy a new tv. With Philips you get obsolescence in one year.
Is shameful.
People will buy a 2011 tv get obsolesce in 2012. Maybe support flash player.

Philips reply, donīt be quiet

Corneel
10-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Does the YouTube leanback work the same
as on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGv7CqrUE6o) Google TV demo?

Cookie
10-07-2011, 12:36 PM
....With Philips you get obsolescence in one year. Is shameful. Philips reply, donīt be quiet

Hi xMen,

Not only Philips. I assume that you do not have an iPhone or iPad or other gadget?
Even if this it is the case, what's wrong with it?
It is normal behaviour in this kind of industry.
They also have to make money....;)

xMen
10-07-2011, 12:56 PM
The industry are similar but not equal. There is some differences. When a brand donīt update his devices you have to say it. Some Philips tv cost 4000 €. It is unethical get obsolescence in one year.

Itīs shameful

Philips reply, donīt be quiet.

carlosfm
10-07-2011, 01:40 PM
In November 2010 I've spent 1000€ on my Philips TV (37PFL7605), which is proving to be a boat anchor.
Less than a year!

I don't believe in hardware limitations, there are other NetTV services that offer HD videos.
As someone else said here, it's a FHD TV!

Philips - Mark
10-07-2011, 01:59 PM
I donīt believe hardware limitation for 2010 tv. 2010 and 2011 have same architecture (TV550) and similar processor (Same tipe PNX85500). You can see in Service Manual you can get in Internet.
Philips doesnīt want to update tv. Philips doesnīt want to work. Philips want that you buy a new tv. With Philips you get obsolescence in one year.
Is shameful.
People will buy a 2011 tv get obsolesce in 2012. Maybe support flash player.

Philips reply, donīt be quiet

If we could standardize to just one YouTube version for all devices, that would be far more efficient for us.
So if we could we would, but this version of YouTube leanback fails on 2010/2009 sets.

Philips - Mark
10-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Does the YouTube leanback work the same
as on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGv7CqrUE6o) Google TV demo?

It is almost the same, we have additionally an onscreen keyboard for text-entering in search modus.

xMen
10-07-2011, 03:02 PM
So if we could we would,

Nobody believes it. For Philips is more profitable that people buy a new tv. Philips' goal is not the satisfaction of people,

TV Philips could make tv 2010 record USB, but Philips doesīnt want. Jointspace allows control tv with smartphones or tablet, but Philips doesnīnt want that tv be controlled with keyboard.
2010 y 2011 have the same hardware. You see images in the folowing link how hardware 2010 and 2011 tv has same processor:

2010 tv 58pfl9955h costs 4200 € and 2011 32pfl6606h costs 500 €. 2010 tv 58pfl5599h can not play youtbe leanback and 2011 32pfl6606h can. Nobody believes it.

Philips want the people spend more money to buy new tv.

It is shameful.

Philips explain it.

smart
10-11-2011, 06:51 PM
I have heard the youtube is using flash for the youtube leanback. Is this true? Does 2011 TVs have to bring basic support for flash to support youtube leanback or do they also provide a flashless interface?

I'm just interested in the future of flash and the usage in such products? Can you offer more details on technical realisation?

It's just interesting, because the new vimeo app offers a really good interface and great video quality. Why need flash support?

Manuel
10-11-2011, 08:11 PM
If you have the service manual, then you must read all the manual.
Of course itīs the same platform, but whit different chip set.
Platform TV550 have at list 3 different releases (2009?, 2010, 2011)

Different pnx are in use, pnx85500 itīs only a generic name.
If you donīt now, ask, do not say wrong ideas.
Different modelīs on 2011 may have different pnx.

58PFL9955H/12
PNX85507EB

32PFL6606H/12
PNX85537EB

Nobody believes it. For Philips is more profitable that people buy a new tv. Philips' goal is not the satisfaction of people,

TV Philips could make tv 2010 record USB, but Philips doesīnt want. Jointspace allows control tv with smartphones or tablet, but Philips doesnīnt want that tv be controlled with keyboard.
2010 y 2011 have the same hardware. You see images in the folowing link how hardware 2010 and 2011 tv has same processor.

2010 tv 58pfl9955h costs 4200 € and 2011 32pfl6606h costs 500 €. 2010 tv 58pfl5599h can not play youtbe leanback and 2011 32pfl6606h can. Nobody believes it.

Philips want the people spend more money to buy new tv.
It is shameful. Philips explain it.

xMen
10-12-2011, 05:44 AM
The Service Manual say exactly:
The Q552.2E LA (2011) is part of the TV550 platform, is a derivative
from the Q552.1E LA (2010) and uses the (SAME) PNX855xx chipset.
The major deltas versus its predecessor Q551 are:
• support of DVB-T2 (“second generation” DVBT)
• implementation of “passive” 3D
• removal of TCON from the SSB (comes with the display)
• changed power architecture
• new USB hub

The SAME (similar) processor and no difference about net tv.
Net tv capabilities of both processors are the same. Nobody believes that pnx85500 (2010) arenīt able to process Youtube Leanback. Simply Philips is interested in differentiating 2011 ranges and Philips donīt want to work more time in 2010 ranges. Otherwise Philips want that people run to spend more money buying a new tv.

Is also the fact nobody believes that 2010 ranges tv havenīt capability to record. But Philips doesnīt want 2010 tv record. Watch this video made by Philips in wich appear 9705 (2010) with function record:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnWtfytDmB8

But it is a lie more of Philips.

Philips why are you be quiet? Say something
Philips reply, please, donīt be quiet about my comments.

Toengel
10-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Hi,

there are more differences in the hardware...

Also you can be sure that Philips would also like to have the same YouTube app on all Net TV devices, but YouTube seems to use features which are only available in 2011 models... For example, the integrated Opera web browser is different in the different series (2010, 2011,...). The 2011 series supports more.

Regarding the video - did you ever heard of marketing? If you take a look at the video, you can also see, that there are pictures displayed. Also the "Pause" funktion - the frog video is used at many occations within Philips marketing... Don't focus on such videos. Take a look at the product spread sheets and the manual of a product - that's what really count!

Toengel@Alex

Pa86
10-12-2011, 07:19 AM
....Of course itīs the same platform, but whit different chip set.
Platform TV550 have at list 3 different releases (2009?, 2010, 2011)

Different pnx are in use, pnx85500 itīs only a generic name.
If you donīt now, ask, do not say wrong ideas. Different modelīs on 2011 may have different pnx.

58PFL9955H/12
PNX85507EB

32PFL6606H/12
PNX85537EB

@Manuel and @Toengel,
I fully agree with you both. The "xx" in PNX855xx aren't there for nothing. It would have been strange if Philips used exactly the same chip for 3 years in a row....

@xMen
It is a fact that product life cycles become shorter and shorter. This is modern life, and they even have a word for it: "progress"!
I'm sure it is the same for other (mass-production) brands. Also the car you bought 3 years ago does not have all the features a 2011 model has.
So stop asking Philips to reply on every post you make. I'm sure they have more/better things to do (see bug-list ;))

xMen
10-12-2011, 07:36 AM
Different opera version is not a different hardware.. Repeat all people can watch the service manual and see that no diferrent Net tv capacity exits. Diferent opera version is a diferent software that Philips can update, but Philips doesnīt update because Philips is not interested to update opera to 2010 range because Philips want that ownerīs 2010 tv buy a new tv as soon as possible.

Otherwise For me, the videos have the same value that product spread sheets. I feel cheated. Toengle doesnīt take into account the peopleīs feelings. It is easy for him, but not for me.

Verklagekasper
10-12-2011, 07:37 AM
With the new app, is it possible to play all videos of a playlist in a row? The former version could not do this.

Toengel
10-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Hi,

@xMen
you can't change easily a software version of a mayor component in a complex software environment... It needs a lot of effords and testing. And as Pa86 said, the product life cycles become shorter and shorter.

Of course, I'd like to have a fully compliant HBBTV web browser on my 2010 TV...

Toengel@Alex

xMen
10-12-2011, 07:51 AM
It is a fact that product life cycles become shorter and shorter. This is modern life, and they even have a word for it: "progress"!
For me is shameful that you spend 4200 € for tv and you get obsolesce in 6 month. This is a fraud.

I'm sure it is the same for other (mass-production) brands. For me that no justify injustices.

So stop asking Philips to reply on every post you make. I'm sure they have more/better things to do (see bug-list ;)
First Philips must design tv more responsability. Philips must design tv that doesnīt get obsolescence in 6 moths. My duty is to claim responsibility and seek damages.....

xMen
10-12-2011, 07:59 AM
you can't change easily a software version of a mayor component in a complex software environment... It needs a lot of effords and testing. And as Pa86 said, the product life cycles become shorter and shorter.
You give me reason: both 2010 and 2011 tv have same (similar) hardware. The difference is in the software and it is possible to do that 2010 tv are compatible with Youtbe Leanback and record function but Philips isnīt interesed. Philips must work but it is a fact that philips doesnīt want. My duty is to denounce it. Your duty also is to denounce.
Thanks.

Toengel
10-12-2011, 08:05 AM
Hi,

for USB recording not only software is the matter. It also depends on hardware from what I read in the past...

(Regarding Software - some example: does Windows XP gets the IE9? No. Please think about that...)

Toengel@Alex

DerShortyy
10-12-2011, 08:12 AM

I agree with Xmen. And even if there is a hardware limitation, why isnīt there the possibility to upgrade 2010 TV sets for example to extend the memory or whatever causes this limitation??? This would be sustainability!
For me as a owner of a 2010 TV I feel like a BETA Tester. Nobody buys a new TV every year, just to get the features which has been already technical possible, because it depends on software.

xMen
10-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Hi,
from what I read in the past...
Are you engineer? I am an engineer.

(Regarding Software - some example: does Windows XP gets the IE9? No. Please think about that...)
Because Microsoft doesnīt want. But it doesnīt justify that Philips not effort to update their tv........

carlosfm
10-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Also you can be sure that Philips would also like to have the same YouTube app on all Net TV devices, but YouTube seems to use features which are only available in 2011 models... For example, the integrated Opera web browser is different in the different series (2010, 2011,...). The 2011 series supports more.

Opera can be updated with a new firmware version.
It's Linux and the browser is integrated and can and should be updated.
It's not rocket science.

Windows XP is a 10 years old OS!
2010 Philips TVs are... guess what, 1 year old.

DerShortyy
10-12-2011, 09:03 AM
Windows XP is a 10 years old OS!
2010 Philips TVs are... guess what, 1 year old.

This is exactly what its all about. Everyone is aware of technical progress. But what happend from 2010 to 2011 is a quantum jump. We are talking about TVīs and not "rocket science".

smart
10-12-2011, 09:14 AM
I think the truth is something in between:

On the one hand Philips has developed a powerful platform to support TV over the web, which can be used from 3rd party companies to create applications for this. Like you can see form vimeo app or other powerful apps, a company can built an app like youtube leanback for Philips NetTV platform.
In case of youtube leanback, it sounds for me, as youtube as developed it without having much contact to Philips. Now they say this is their standard for TVs. (I have read they use flash for this, not sure if this is true.) TV manufacturer can support it or not...
Philips wants to have youtube leanback on their TVs and they spent effort to support it on newest TVs. For older TVs, it might not be "easy" to support it or there are really hardware limits, I do not know for sure...

But "easy" is also relative, it might be a real pain to get it into the older platform.
-------------------------------
Also, I have heard that youtube has plans to offer vod. In this case they may want to support DRM. That might be a reason for something like flash, but also different implementations...
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/25/youtube-ready-to-start-renting-video-on-demand-movies-from-major/

Philips supports some kind of DRM for video on demand, but youtube might prefer other implementations. DRM might not be solved by standard open Javascript and HTML...

If you are searching at differences on the hardware platform, also have a look at the DRM capabilities and how they could be solved on both platforms. If there is none, it might also be difficult to adapt the software and other dependencies.

Isn't there some code published due to GPL dependecies?

Does anybody know details on the youtube leanback implementation?

smart
10-12-2011, 09:19 AM
We are talking about TVīs and not "rocket science".
Do you think "rocket science" is more difficult or less difficult as modern high end embedded systems?

I know many devices, which get updated over their lifecycle several times, also with new features. Even iPhone 3GS gets an update to iOS 5 ...

This is great...

DerShortyy
10-12-2011, 09:35 AM
Do you think "rocket science" is more difficult or less difficult as modern high end embedded systems?

Hi smart,

donīt get me wrong, i just wanted to say that they didnīt invent a total new way how TV sets work. Its just computer science and not the invention of using light speed...

Anything is possible,"doesn't work, doesn't exist"!

xMen
10-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Philips wants to have youtube leanback on their TVs and they spent effort to support it on newest TVs.
This is the question. Philips doesnīt make the same effort in new and old tv. Philips is only interested on money that Philips win with new tv.

For older TVs, it might not be "easy" to support it or there are really hardware limits, I do not know for sure...
I repeat once more time, that 2011 and 2010 tv have same (similar) hardware. Philips should start updating Opera version 2010 tv. But Philips doesnīt do it becuase the policyīs Philips is not introduce new features in their updates.
Do you think that 2010 tv havenīt capabilty to record?
That's what I want, that people know the truth.
Philips doesnīt work in updating their products.
Excuse me if i donīt express correctly in english. I am not english man.
Thanks to everybody

smart
10-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Philips is only interested on money that Philips win with new tv. This argument also says that Philips want to support as much as possible on older devices. Because if you have just one release to support you have less cost on supporting consumers (Support on hotlines/mail and also bug fixes/testing and development). Less cost -> more return on investment.

Do you think that 2010 tv havenīt capabilty to record?Currently they do not have the capability to record. (On 42PFL7695K/02 with newest firmware 0.140.40.0 it is is not possible to record).
Possible reasons might be:

integration of DVB-S tuner might be improved on 2011 TVs, since also IP-EPG is not supported with DVB-S tuner
DRM hardware support might be missing on 2010 (Think of HD+ restrictions, which has to be supported by the tuner or CI+ interface)

Please note this are only assumption and possible reasons for this. Obviously I can't tell you the real reason. Only Philips knows...

Did you have a look at the code?

@Toengel: Maybe you can post sources for getting the open source code. Maybe the guys here can have a closer look to find evidences for their theories.

Toengel
10-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Hi,

you will only find the source code of 3rd party libs which are used (and the licences of these say that you need to publish them). But you will never find the original source code of Philips libraries - of course.

Toengel@Alex

xMen
10-12-2011, 11:23 AM
This argument also says that Philips want to support as much as possible on older devices.
If Philips update their tv, they they would lose sales new tv. They only think about making more money. For Philips is more profitable that people are dissatisfied. Philips doesnīt people. Some companies are greedy.

Please note this are only assumption and possible reasons for this. Obviously I can't tell you the real reason. Only Philips knows...

For me, someone who lies has lost credibility. You can see several posts where people claim to do what they say in their documents and videos. .....
Thanks

carlosfm
10-12-2011, 11:40 AM
If Philips update their tv, they they would lose sales new tv. They only think about making more money. For Philips is more profitable that people are dissatisfied. Philips doesnīt people. Some companies are greedy.

No, it's not more profitable.
I'm a looong time Philips customer (TV, hi-fi and portable audio, etc) but my 2010 TV was the last product I buy from Philips.
No more, thank you.
I like to be treated with more respect.
My hard earned money is not going to be spent on another boat anchor.

I need to replace the TV on my bedroom soon, but this time I'll buy from another brand, not Philips.

Philips - Mark
10-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I have heard the youtube is using flash for the youtube leanback. Is this true? Does 2011 TVs have to bring basic support for flash to support youtube leanback or do they also provide a flashless interface?

I'm just interested in the future of flash and the usage in such products? Can you offer more details on technical realisation?

It's just interesting, because the new vimeo app offers a really good interface and great video quality. Why need flash support?

Philips chose not to install driver software for websites into the TV.
The (external) website, where the App icon refers to, can have the driver software included.
YouTube leanback is such an App with embedded flash software.

Indeed, flash is not the only way to show good video quality.

xMen
10-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes itīs more profitable. A lot of people do not know the reality and truth so they fall back into the hands of philips. Hopefully not continue to occur.

smart
10-12-2011, 12:55 PM
If Philips update their tv, they they would lose sales new tv.
No, 2010 customers won't buy a new TV in 2011, only one year later. So they do not loose sales by not updating it.
You might wanna say, that they invest less money as you wish in developing new features on older TV platforms. But this is a different thing...

For me, someone who usually lies has lost credibility. You can see several posts where people claim to do what they say in their documents and videos. For me Philips and Toengle have lost credibility.

I think, you should not see your opinion as the only one and the only truth. What does you make thinking, that you have the overview about the whole chain of technical details, to say, that a 2010 TV can support youtube leanback for example? Or even recording?

smart
10-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Philips chose not to install driver software for websites into the TV.
That's a good decision from technical point. I think flash is depricated and not needed when using modern web technology. Apple goes the same way.

The (external) website, where the App icon refers to, can have the driver software included.
YouTube leanback is such an App with embedded flash software.
That's a very interesting point. A special web site is called from the TV. This website does support flash and has a flash driver installed and calls youtube leanback, which relies on flash.

Is this a Philips owned software or is there a third party vendor selling such flash conversion?

carlosfm
10-12-2011, 01:07 PM
No, 2010 customers won't buy a new TV in 2011, only one year later. So they do not loose sales by not updating it.

What makes you think that people change TV every 2 years?
That's very far from the reality.

smart
10-12-2011, 01:11 PM
What makes you think that people change TV every 2 years?
That's very far from the reality.

I also do not think the customers will change TV every 2 years. Also they won't change every 3 years.
The point is, that Philips won't loose customers, when they update older TVs software. xMen wrote, Philips will loose customers, if they update older TVs software...

xMen
10-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Philips won't loose customers, when they update older TVs software.
Yes, becuase the distance between old tv and new tv is smaller. When you have little to gain your not moving. When the differences are greater you buy a new tv.That is the political and business of Philips. If Philips updates their tv, they loose future customers. So Philips has decided not updates their tv. Unsatisfied people buy a new tv.

pistoiaa
10-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Unsatisfied people buy a new tv.
Even if it was true (and I think most people do not buy a new TV just one or two years after having bought an old one), they would not buy a new PHILIPS TV!!!
I believe Philips is very wrong if they decide not to satisfy their (even old) Customers

Philips
10-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Dear all,

Please go back to the topic and @xMen please read your PM.

Regards,
JuAn

Pa86
10-12-2011, 02:06 PM
For me is shameful that you spend 4200 € for tv and you get obsolesce in 6 month. This is a fraud. For me that no justify injustices.

First Philips must design tv more responsability. Philips must design tv that doesnīt get obsolescence in 6 moths. My duty is to claim responsibility and seek damages.....

@xMen,
What do u mean exactly with your TV is obsolence? Can't you watch TV anymore? Is it broken or what?

xMen
10-12-2011, 02:13 PM
My tv 4200 € can not record or watch youtbe Leanback. Any cheap pvr € 70 can. Is not that obsolescence?

carlosfm
10-12-2011, 02:59 PM
I would expect a 4200€ TV to have a QuadCore CPU. :p

Toengel
10-12-2011, 03:36 PM
I would expect a 4200€ TV to have a QuadCore CPU. :p

Hi,

haha - a really good one... :-)

Toengel@Alex

Corneel
10-12-2011, 03:45 PM
@xMen: Never get married !
As soon as you see a prettier girl your wife becomes obsolete! :)

Toengel
10-12-2011, 03:55 PM
@xMen: Never get married !
As soon as you see a prettier girl your wife becomes obsolete! :)

Hi,

this becomes more and more better :-)

But we should move back to the YouTube leanback topic ;-)

Toengel@Alex

Pa86
10-12-2011, 07:21 PM
My tv 4200 € can not record or watch youtbe Leanback. Any cheap pvr € 70 can. Is not that obsolescence?

Could it record and watch YTLB when you bought it? Was it in the spec.? What typenr. do you have?

xMen
10-12-2011, 07:28 PM
For you when you spend € 4200 do not expect an update?. For me when I spend € 4200 expect better treatment. I never imagined this neglect.

jorgefernangar
10-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I updated the firmware, now i have the Youtube Leanback app, it's ok because it plays the videos in HD automatically, but now i can't access to my user profile and see "My Favourites" videos, mi "Watch Later" list and, i can only see de "Comedy", "Music", "Technology", etc channels.

Is there a way to solve this and see my feed on the Youtube Leanback?

Toengel
10-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi,

did you read the first post?

The log-in option in YouTube leanback is not yet offered in this application. It will be implemented in a next release.

If you can't log in you can't access your profile...

Toengel@Alex

jorgefernangar
10-22-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi,

did you read the first post?

If you can't log in you can't access your profile...

Toengel@Alex

Oh, excuse me, in fact i had read the first post but i didn't realise that point.

Sorry. I'll hope then.

Clarinet
10-24-2011, 08:46 AM
Can I please go back to a basic question as I don't have the technical knowledge of the last few posts?

Philips has said with the latest software release for 2011 TVs and Bluray players this version of YouTube will be automatically installed. I have just upgrade my BDP7600/05 to software 1.35 but I still have the old version of YouTube.

Can anyone clarify the position please.

I have upgraded my 40PFL8606T/12 and it works perfectly there.

glin
10-26-2011, 04:43 PM
Would be great if the YouTube application supported input from an USB keyboard. Using the remote control with a virtual keyboard is just too cumbersome...

Toengel
10-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Hi,

it should be possible on 2011 models... USB-HID support is a 2011 only...

Toengel@Alex

glin
10-26-2011, 06:37 PM
My USB keyboard works in other apps (such as the browser) but NOT in the YouTube one.

recall
11-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Hello xmen.
Many thanks indeed for your use, also I'm pretty disappointed by Philips ... this is my 2010 model already ripe for the cellar, and is only pre-fetches in an emergency ..

Philips give you more trouble. At my worse with arte you did not even respond. (arte hats but after much insistence solved)
But now I need it not more

Philips?

Nettle
11-04-2011, 06:26 AM
- Due to hardware limitations, the 2009 and 2010 TV’s & 2009 and 2010 Bluray-players will not be able to access YouTube leanback. Here the current YouTube version remains.

AH ;) AH ;) AH :D AH :D AH ;) You Tube HD only for the "new 2011" models !!!!!!!

SHAMEFUL !!!!! We're asking for HD You Tube options since more than 1 year....no reply from Philips till now. Now the response.

It's a shame!

Toengel
11-04-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi,

maybe YouTube uses a video codec which is not accessible in the Net TV browser of the 2010 models, but in the ones of 2011...

But it would be gread if YouTube/Philips will find a way to offer the leanback also for 2010 devices.

Toengel@Alex

xMen
11-04-2011, 07:11 AM
Hi,
maybe YouTube uses a video codec which is not accessible in the Net TV browser of the 2010 models, but in the ones of 2011...

Maybe Maybe Maybe :mad: Maybe:mad:Maybe . PLEASE LET THE SPECULATION FOREVER.

Please you do not invent things. You do not treat people how if they were stupid. It has been demonstrated after many years of experience that:

PHILIPS NEVER EXPLORE IMPROVEMENTS AND UPDATES TO SOLD TELEVISIONS.

Please let us be responsible and tell people the truth. Please do not deceive people.

Best regards.

Toengel
11-04-2011, 07:26 AM
Hi,

just look at the supported codecs and especially in the "open internet" column. There you can see the codec support!

But you can of course ask YouTube why the are not able to provide a Leanback for the 2010 devices.

Toengel@Alex

Toengel
11-04-2011, 07:40 AM
Hi

after a while we know that you can use copy/paste... but instead you could use your time in far better way: contact YouTube and then please enlighten us with the result... We will count on you!

Toengel@Alex

smart
11-04-2011, 10:07 AM
I also think, you should not repeat yourself. There is not much content except bashing an spamming. And I doubt that there is an update mechanism for several years in your TVs. You have an 2010.

Toengel
11-04-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi,

the truth is, Philips improve their TVs by updating sold televisions. However, feature upgrades are done for the next generation. xMen, if you don't understand that, you need to learn that!

I know, that there a always 2 sides. But you can't achive something in the way you do it at the moment.

Toengel@Alex

smart
11-04-2011, 12:06 PM
There is the MyRemote which works with all NetTV capable TVs. Also 2009 TVs. I think, it was not advertized and promised on 2009 TVs. But it there.
See link:
http://itunes.apple.com/de/app/philips-myremote/id426883783?mt=8

This is also part of Smart TV which is advertized for 2011 TVs.

So this is one feature which was added within after sales product support. So it is wrong, that there is no improvement, there is at least one. This is pure logic ...

You can say that your wishes/features/bugs were not solved. I also know bugs, I want to have solved. But I do not spam the forum because I want that.

Xtreme
11-18-2011, 10:21 PM
I just popped in to say that:

FLASH is DYING! That is the TRUTH!
If you don't believe me then it's your fault not mine.

Modern technology is HTML5.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5

You can use YouTube WITHOUT Flash! Yeah.. that's right.. with no FLASH. You just need HTML5 support from your browser. Go to: http://www.youtube.com/html5

Flash support is being dropped from mobile devices also.

carlosfm
11-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Only Opera 12 (currently in Alpha stage) will support HTML5 and hardware acceleration.
Until then, Opera only supports WebM, without hardware acceleration. Even on a PC it is sluggish.
Philips does not want to update Opera on 2010 TVs, even if they have the same CPU/GPU as the 2011 models.

surf666
11-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Dear Philips,
Can you tell me, which models of Br Players can play YouTube in HD.
It`s possible with BDP7600/12.
Thank you very much for your answer.

Coyote
12-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Dear Philips Team,

Why don't you respond on the topics regarding Youtube Leanback ? Most of the users hate it, including me.
It would be a great application IF:
- it wouldn't start with autoplaying one of the most irritating videos in the world
- we could use the "old" way of typing from the remote
- we could use the Philips remote iphone app at least!!!

This is a shame, totally killing this nice function of Philips Smart TVs. I have a 46PFL9706H/12 and very pissed off on Philips for messing up one of the nicest functions of this expensive TV.

Can the upgrade be UNDONE somehow at least??? :confused:

DerShortyy
12-16-2011, 11:26 AM
- The log-in option in YouTube leanback is not yet offered in this application. It will be implemented in a next release.

Is it already possible to log-in to the youtube leanback app on the 2k11 TV sets?

LED beginner
12-16-2011, 06:40 PM
Hello everyone! I think PHILIPS customers deserver better treatment! I want to watch HD movies on my PHILIPS 2010 TV! Just like it si possible wo watch other HD movie clips when using other apps!
Why no one from philips reply on this topic?

LED beginner
12-17-2011, 01:51 PM
So today I watched a full HD videos with amazing quality when using the VIMEO app and what are you trying to say? That YOUTUBE HD does not work because of hardware limitations? This is not true!
Please update software!
Also why no support for FLASH PLAYER in browser? Is it so hard to install flash player with a new firmware upgrade?

I will try to install adobe flash player on my TV automaticaly from the adobe website! I hope it works!

Toengel
12-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi,

you cannot install plugins on the TV and Flash will not be supported... search the forum...

Toengel@Alex

LED beginner
12-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi,

you cannot install plugins on the TV and Flash will not be supported... search the forum...

Toengel@Alex

What OS is used by philips 2010 7000 TVs?
Samsung TVs use sorta linux so many people now make apps and you can fully customize your TV....
Its sad that we will have the same TV without any new features
Philips may win this years' contest but next year I doubt they will at least on sales number.

I tried opening websites from my 2010 7000 TV and it wont play flash movies. What will happen if I try to automaticaly install FLASH player from the adobe website?
May be it will install and eventualy run?

And what format TV supports when watching streaming videos? WIndows media video or H 246??

As I said earlier I can watch VIMEO in FULL HD with AMAZING quality without a glitch, so stories that TV has insuficient hardware to run youtube in HD are a LIE!

Toengel
12-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi,

the integrated browser (opera) does not allow to install plugins...

Regarding the supported codecs - see codecs overview thread... there should be mentioned what is supported via Net TV...

Toengel@Alex

smart
12-19-2011, 07:36 AM
What OS is used by philips 2010 7000 TVs?
Samsung TVs use sorta linux so many people now make apps and you can fully customize your TV....
Its sad that we will have the same TV without any new features
Sure, Linux is mostly used on such kind of devices. Also Philips uses a Linux based OS for his TVs.
But using Linux does not mean everything is free/open and a lot people can customize everything.
In the Samsung case, they have also protected source code and restrictions. Even if you have created a simple add-on application, you might not be able to use it, if Samsung does not allow it!
Just take bong.tv as an example, they have created an app, but it has never released by Samsung. They wanted to have it, there are users who want to have it, but Samsung restricts access to it!
Now, they switched to implement an HbbTV version of their application.
So the Samsung platform is not really open and you can't fully customize your TV!

I tried opening websites from my 2010 7000 TV and it wont play flash movies. What will happen if I try to automaticaly install FLASH player from the adobe website?
May be it will install and eventualy run?
That won't work. Install of any plugins and third party code into the TV is prohibited. This would be a really bad lag of security and might people claim about broken TVs, just because third party vendors created bad plugins.
Also flash needs much CPU resources, which are not available on the TV platform.

And what format TV supports when watching streaming videos? WIndows media video or H 246?? I think, both are supported in general. But please have a look, there is a table with supported formats somewhere in the forum...

As I said earlier I can watch VIMEO in FULL HD with AMAZING quality without a glitch,
Vimeo is a great app, that shows the capability of the Philips TVs. I would say this is the real power of the NetTV platform. I would wish to have a youtube app, which is like the vimeo app. Great user interface and HD videos!

so stories that TV has insuficient hardware to run youtube in HD are a LIE!
Let me try to explain, why the youtube story is a problem. Youtube does not provide a CE-HTML based web portal as vimeo does. CE-HTML based apps are running great on your Philips TV. They provide a flash based app, which is a different thing and does not run well on Philips TVs. Philips spent effort to make that working on the NetTV platform. But it seems to be slow and many do not like the user interface.
I think, YouTube should provide a CE-HTML based portal for TVs, which is based on open standards (CE-HMTL) like the vimeo app.

Of course everybody can create such an app, I think, there is some kind of API. But not sure if HD content is provided by it. But if you just start with it, you will see there are some problems and it is not easy.

Maybe you can write in some youtube forum or just a mail to youtube, that you also want to see youtube in vimeo like quality on your TV?

margorita
12-22-2011, 04:14 PM
I just popped in to say that:

FLASH is DYING! That is the TRUTH!
If you don't believe me then it's your fault not mine.

Modern technology is HTML5.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTML5 (http://loan.cheaprow.info/art.php?article=for-loans)

You can use YouTube WITHOUT Flash! Yeah.. that's right.. with no FLASH. You just need HTML5 support from your browser. Go to: http://www.youtube.com/html5

Flash support is being dropped from mobile devices also.

Only Opera 12 (currently in Alpha stage) will support HTML5 and hardware acceleration.
Until then, Opera only supports WebM, without hardware acceleration. Even on a PC it is sluggish.
Philips does not want to update Opera on 2010 TVs, even if they have the same CPU/GPU as the 2011 models.

DerShortyy
12-22-2011, 05:28 PM

Youīre absolutly right! HTML5 wonīt become available neither on 2k11 TV sets.

The only way that the youtube app gets usable on 2k11 TV Sets as soon as possible is that the consumers complain about the CE-HTML Version directly at Youtube/Google.

@Philips, Mark, Juan, please provide the contact information where we can complain directly to Google!

carlosfm
12-23-2011, 04:52 PM

Great copy/paste from my post in page 5, congratulations!!!

edwar
12-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Hello,
My USB keyboard works in other apps (such as the browser) but NOT in the YouTube one.
Why?
TV 32PFL6606- Firmware 000.014.093.000

Excuse English

thedberg
12-27-2011, 09:44 AM
The leanback Youtube interface is really bad. Lack of keyboard support is just one of the issues. Please make the old app available!

izzyoo7
12-27-2011, 07:06 PM
No, it's not more profitable.
I'm a looong time Philips customer (TV, hi-fi and portable audio, etc) but my 2010 TV was the last product I buy from Philips.
No more, thank you.
I like to be treated with more respect.
My hard earned money is not going to be spent on another boat anchor.

I need to replace the TV on my bedroom soon, but this time I'll buy from another brand, not Philips.

same for me. i am still waiting for update of the net tv. there is no application to use from om my 46pfl7705dv i purchased 7 months ago

onlinefabster
01-06-2012, 09:49 AM
The leanback Youtube interface is really bad. Lack of keyboard support is just one of the issues. Please make the old app available!

Gotta agree, an interface like the vimeo app would be really nice.. access your online content from your youtube account and enable keyboard input from usb keyboard
youtube app development is done by philips or youtube?

Kot
01-07-2012, 09:42 PM
It is just "perfect". Impossible to log-in, HD-video does not work. The same stupid video starts to play every time I press "youtube". I like it :D.

Toengel
01-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi,

YouTube is responsible for that App - you need to complain at YouTube ;-) Philips already asked YouTube to provide a Log-in feature...

Toengel@Alex

Dudusat
01-10-2012, 08:04 PM
40pfl6606/78
youtube leanbeck would be better if could ever select the video size
320, 480, 720. 1080
not only work well in videos heavier as high-definition
The application does not play the video right to be very heavy.
still use an 8 mega-bit Internet and does not work.
so it would be better to choose the quality of the video to be seen
320, 480, 720. 1080

o youtube leanbeck ficaria melhor se podesse selecionar o tamanho do video
320, 480, 720 . 1080
por não funciona direito só nos videos mais pesados como alta definiįão
O aplicativo não toca direito o video por ser muito pesado.
mesmo assim uso uma internet de 8 mega bits e não funciona.
por isso seria melhor escolher a qualidade do video a ser vista
320, 480, 720 . 1080

LED beginner
06-19-2012, 10:52 AM
Hello why is this topic hidden and cant be seen unless you search for it? We want youtube in HD for the 2010 models!!!
We won't give up!
I dont care if there is leanback or no I just want youtube in HD....

Nettle
06-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Hello why is this topic hidden and cant be seen unless you search for it? We want youtube in HD for the 2010 models!!!
We won't give up!
I dont care if there is leanback or no I just want youtube in HD....

Hi LED,

we're asking for it since several months: no results at all!

Forget it!

Regards

chris
07-11-2012, 06:04 AM
I donīt believe hardware limitation for 2010 tv.
Probably right, but then I already gave up on net tv on my insanely great Philips TV. From a hardware perspective the TV is a dream. Seems like I bought it a year ago, but every day I use it I still marvel at the picture quality.

Sadly, the software experience never measured up to the hardware experience. At this point it would take a lot for me to bother with updating the software on the device, reconnecting the ethernet cable (50Mbit network), turning on net tv, and seeing if anything has improved. I can already comfortably access youtube via another little device (one that is small, black, and squarish, has ethernet input and hdmi output). In contrast to Philips, its software is updated over the network, updated often, and works.

chris
07-11-2012, 06:15 AM
feature upgrades are done for the next generation.

It's important to recognize this is not a technical problem but rather a policy / social / conceptual problem. Lot's of other modern hardware manufactures continue to update feature sets long after purchase through software updates.