PDA

View Full Version : Philips 4606 Lag (PS3)

guy
10-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Hello,

I've recently bought a new Philips 42PFL4606 and just watching TV is working perfectly.

But I have a problem with playing on the PS3, I have a HDMI-cable connected to my PS3, and the image is also perfect, but when I'm in the menu, or playing a game, the screen is a bit off the buttons, ex.: when I click "x" on my controller, it reacts too late on the screen..
The smart picture is set on "Game" and the sound aswell, so that's not the problem, I've turned every extra option off, but is still has the same problem, it's a little bit better now, but I still can't game.
I didn't have this problem with my previous television.

Could someone help me please?

Thanks,
Guy

(this is someone else's questions but I need anwer for it)

a_Tom
10-11-2011, 07:17 AM
this "lags" are normal, the tv needs time to bring the picture on the screen, with game mode you can only minimize the "lag" but it is not possible to have it go away.

guy
10-11-2011, 10:36 AM
I know , but maybe I can minimize the options and minimize the quality of the picture , so the lag will be less.
Is there things I can do to minimize quality which will cause the lag to disappear?

a_Tom
10-11-2011, 11:00 AM
with "Game" mode you have done the most possible you can do.

Freddo
10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
In the past two years Philips were king when it came to input lag compared to other LCD TV manufacturers (with the possible exception/equal being Sharp), and now this year the input lag seem to be noticeably worse. Why is that? Why couldn't they keep the good input lag from the last year models into the models of this year? :(

They haven't gone back to their old horrible self when they used to have the worst input lag in the industry 3+ years ago, fortunately, but still, why do worse this year, why not try to raise the bar instead of lowering it?

I'm getting a bit worried about this as it might stop my plan to buy a 55PFL7606T in december (the FlatpanelsHD review (http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1316001274) didn't exactly help). I play a lot of fast-paced video games and need a low input lag, and don't really want to spend 1800e on something only to get annoyed as it is a lot of money for me. Sure hope future firmwares will improve it.

guy
10-11-2011, 09:42 PM
My TV is very laggy. BUT , I had TV in another room , which was philips also ,and had almost none delay. well , maybe there is delay , but compared to my TV , it was really good. Anyway , what im trying to say is that not all the TV's of philips are bad. But this one has really bad lag\delay.

johnb
11-21-2011, 07:36 AM
I am also curious about this "input lag" effect and trying to find out how bad it actually is. Unfortunately, I have not found a review which would cover the issue with this model PFL4606. If you have measured the input lag, please tell me (and how did you measure it)!!

Guy, have you updated to the latest firmware (2.16 i think), turned on "pc mode", "scaling off", and set the output signal from your PS3 to 1080p? This should be the natural resolution for this television and lessen the need for image processing. Double check that all image enhancing options off in the tv settings.

I am wondering whether it counts if the console is defined as "PC" or "Console" when setting the hdmi input for the first time? Or is VGA input processed faster than HDMI in this model?

hosamovic
11-28-2011, 11:46 AM
Hope someone from Philips or Guy will answer

hosamovic
11-28-2011, 11:50 AM
Does this apply to the 47" model as well?I'm thinking of buying one. Not too sure after readying this.

johnb
11-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Does this apply to the 47" model as well?I'm thinking of buying one. Not too sure after readying this.

I have 47". After two weeks, I decided to keep the telly. I am no HC-PRO gamer, but do not notice disturbing lag when gaming.

First I had the "sound delay" ON, which caused actually the sound lagging from the picture. This option is designed to take into account the delay caused by heavy image processing, but should be OFF when gaming. For some reason, the "game mode" does not automatically set this off?

Still would like to know the delay in milliseconds (unfortunately, don't have HDMI laptop which could be used to measure the lag, by taking still picture of precision timer on both screens simultaneously). If you find a test please post it!

hosamovic
11-30-2011, 05:24 AM
Some don't feel, others can so it's really subjective :)

The latest FW claims to improve this, and I'd like an official statement to clarify what it was and by how much it was improved

johnb
11-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Some don't feel, others can so it's really subjective :)

The latest FW claims to improve this, and I'd like an official statement to clarify what it was and by how much it was improved

I just tested the lag, even as it was nonnative low resolution (might give exaggerated results) and vga input. Scaling was off.

The lag was about 1/30 frames, compared to my laptop lcd display. This would be like 30-40ms input lag - not that bad. With scaling on the lag increased.

However, this is preliminary result, which should he replicated with HDMI cable. Also my oldish laptop could have delay.