PDA

View Full Version : Your experiences with FW v0.14.84.0 for 8000, 9000 and 21:9 series (2011 models)

Toengel
10-20-2011, 07:25 AM
Hi,

Please share your experiences with this new SW version here in this topic. Channeling your input will make it easier for users to search and find relevant info.

Discuss here all your experiences when upgraded to the new version: new, old, positive, negative...

Toengel@Alex

PS: Changelog isn't available yet.

Philips - Thomas
10-20-2011, 07:47 AM
Solution about picture disappearing while watching via Ziggo DVB-C CI+.
Solution about not starting RTL-XL programs in The Netherlands via NetTV.
Improvement for PVR recording.
Solution for intermittently hot rebooting.

Cojack31
10-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Where can I download the latest 14.84 firmware?
I can see only the old one 14.80 on my tv support page.

Philips - Thomas
10-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi

the new Version is included in the actual Downloads. The Informations provided by the Homepage will be changed soon.

Regards
Thomas

tim.snoek
10-20-2011, 08:37 PM
I just flashed the new firmware, no problems so far. I will write here, if i notice some change.

just that you know, i have Ziggo.

mduran
10-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Sound issue remains. Still no sound sometimes when switching from HDMI AV Receiver back to TV. Nothing helps only restarting TV set.

So to refraise:

Powering up my Yamaha RX-V667 to have sound from there and after an hour of two turning it off results in total silence of my TV.

The power-on from standby didn't occur anymore. But it has been only one day ;-)

V4Mp
10-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Hello,
the problem with the sound, I can confirm. After switching from HDMI to TV sound is off, or broken.

Another problem I have with HbbTV. When I open it, the bar at the bottom of the screen is displayed.
Then I choose a option from the titlebar.
The selection wich is opend, can not be closed with the red button. :mad:
I first have to press the green button. After I am back at the titlebar, I can close it with the red button.

Next is the speed.
The opening of menus and options takes a long time.
The program guide takes a long time to load.
It's just slow. From a unit for 2000 €, I expect more. :(

Device is
50PFL7956K 02
with sattelit (dvb-s) and ci+
germany
hdmi devices are a pioneer vsx 520 and a sony ps3

smith
10-22-2011, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=mduran;14681]Sound issue remains. Still no sound sometimes when switching from HDMI AV Receiver back to TV. Nothing helps only restarting TV set.

I too have the sound issue problem on a Cinema Gold 21:9 50PFL7956T/12 and there are no software upgrades yet for the UK models, so I am still on SW 000.014.038.006.

It would be good if Philips could get this resolved and provide updates for the T models.

mduran
10-23-2011, 05:44 AM
Today I hit the jackpot, I had a TV that

Stopped outputting sound via TV speakers.
Blinking, failing AmbiLight system.
A TV set that restarted (rebooted) spontaneously.
Was unable to power on from stand-by..

I think I am going to stop my addiction and buy a Sony or other brand. No more ambi-light for me anymore. Unless someone is going to fix these issue's.
Didn't pay 2800 euro for a rebooting TV.

mduran
10-23-2011, 06:40 AM
If someone from Philips could comment on these issue's? Are they known bugs or is this just my TV.

Toengel
10-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Solution for intermittently hot rebooting.

Hi,

this problem seems not to be solved fully (from what I read in other forums).

Every time when people start their TVs and the "Philips" word is not shown at the startup, the TV reboots during watching TV. Sometimes after 10 minutes, sometimes later. If the "Philips" word is shown, the rebooting does not happen.

Toengel@Alex

mduran
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM
That is not entirely correct Toengel.

If the Philips logo does not show up while starting the TV you have a higher chance of a reboot than with logo.

Yesterday I had a reboot, switched the TV off (Side hardware button) and started the TV again WITH LOGO. After an hour the TV rebooted again.

You know when it's going to reboot because prior to a reboot the Ambilight starts dimming a lot. It dimms, comes back, 10 minutes later dimms again, and reboot. And the unable to power on still is not solved, because this morning unable to powertoggle the TV again.

Clarinet
10-24-2011, 03:23 PM
The software has been applied to 40PFL8606T/12 without any problems. The new version of You Tube works well. However, it is disappointing that the BBC iplayer still does not load - the app button is 'greyed out'. I was hoping this app would be fixed with this software release. Is there any news of when it will be sorted out, please.

Also, although I assume not software related, it would be helpful if the UK could get USB recording enabled in the near future. This would be such a huge benefit (I know this isn't the correct thread to mention it).

Brakius
10-26-2011, 05:29 AM
Sometimes my 9706 went in standby without doing anything. I had not this problem when I had .38 firmware. Also the perfect natural motion is slightly agressive? More defects around moving objects.

tim.snoek
11-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I have the 14.84 firmware and with the first startup i do get a wired network connection. but when the TV is turned off (standby), when I turned on again I don't have any network. the mac address is: DE:AD:00:00:BE:EF. So i think there is something wrong with the network controller. My network at home is good, because the same network cable does work on the BDP7600.

I had this also with the 14.79 firmware.

willemcj
11-01-2011, 07:40 PM
My TV is a 32PFL9606/12H and I am very happy with this SW, because it solves my problem with the Ziggo CI+ module (disappearing picture while watching). I installed it the first day it was available and I'm now for sure that it works.
Thanks Philips, at last, I can enjoy now my new Philips TV!

bluevoice
11-02-2011, 08:24 AM
I have a CI+ module from UPC in my Philips Cinema Gold tv (50PFL7956H/12) and I still get to briefly see "Authentication in progress, please wait" every time I turn on the TV and switch channels. Is this normal?

Mariuss
11-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Didn't solve the problem on my Cinema Gold 21:9 - sometimes after power up, the screen remains black with Ambilight working. A restart is needed.

MaNo
11-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Thomas,

My experiences with the firmware 014.084 of the 19th of October with the 46PFL9706/12 is the same as Mariuss. Sometimes when powering on, the screen remains black with Ambilight working. It's happening right after the TV is turned on hard by the switch on the right side. Note: I'm using an external cable tuner (dreambox), connected to HDMI 1.

I've got another question about the firmware, is there a possibility to catch the dmesg and syslog like other linux-based appliances? It could help you guys for troubleshooting! Which part of the sourcecode is made public by Philips? Is it possible to debug the TV with the sourcecode?

Thank you in advance,

Martijn.

jowile
11-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi ,

My TV reboots every 20 minutes. I used a UPC CI+ card.
I read in this topic that the reboot issue should be solved for Ziggo. Does that mean that also UPC CI+ will work?
I upgraded to the latest FW 14.084 version but can't test it for reasons that i returned the CI+ to UPC.

As soon as the tv will accept the UPC card i will reorder.

Thanks for your answer.

Rgds Jo

Mariuss
11-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Thomas,
It's happening right after the TV is turned on hard by the switch on the right side. Note: I'm using an external cable tuner (dreambox), connected to HDMI 1.

I never used the switch, I'm using the remote all the time - My Cinema Gold is always powered (red light on when the TV is switched off by remote). It's happening 90% of the time. This is driving me crazy - my wife complains what a crap TV we bought for 2000EUR - that it doesn't even turn on :(

Toengel
11-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Hi,

@Mariuss

try to use the hard off switch to make a really clean boot... This should always be done after a firmware update was successful...

Toengel@Alex

mengaraf
11-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Sometimes my 37pfl9606 went in standby without doing anything.

jowile
11-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Hi,

An experience i like to share:

Normaly the tv is not connected to 230V. To save energy i use a central powerswitch that switches more audio/video devices.

Steps:
Turned on the central powerswitch
after a few seconds i pressed the power-on button at the remote control.
then the following happened:
1 philips logo was shown
2 black screen
3 some 'nordivc lights' were shown
4 black screen
5 philps logo was shown
6 ambilight went on
7 gray screen was show but i could hear the normal sound of the tv programm.
8 pressed twice the power-on/off button at the remote control
9 tv started normal

I hope this helpes to improve the FW

Rgds
Jo

xMen
11-04-2011, 08:38 AM
Thank you jowile for your experience, but the problems are already known on Philips. See the videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnPMmdiAjMk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GdB3xJtjDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4TcZ0nJT5b4

Best regards.

jgl
11-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Sometimes my 37pfl9606 went in standby without doing anything.
Hello mengaraf, perhaps the 'Auto switch off' feature is the culprit?

Regards.

appieollo
11-05-2011, 12:13 AM
On 3 november 2011 our tv 37pfl9606 had an update.

Now we have Q5551-0.14.84.0_bld7a on our tv.

Before we only had once the problem that there was no sound via hdmi.

But now since the latest update on the 3rd november we have the problem that our tv does show flickering black screen , ambi light is working normal and the sound is also working....

Only after two times hard reset via on/off switch on the right side the tv does show the normal screen again

Please give us a new update soon the make this not happen again :D

i thought i had a wonderfull tv, but now i am not so happy anymore. :mad:

alemoine
11-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I had opened a post related to the problem with black screen (42PFL7406H/12 Random black screen after wakup or switch on).

This morning a technician came and he has changed the motherboard and he has upgraded again the TV. Same problem... Randomly the TV screen stays black. I called again the support and we will schedule a new intervention. But I'm sure that this is related to the firmware.

nnay07
11-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Updated my 9706 3 days ago.
I did face some sound loss issues on HDMI3.
I was doing playing media files one after another from my multimedia box (Dune player) and therefore sending different sound formats and image sizes to the screen. Sound failed when trying to playing one specific file (image still OK though) and sound would not work anymore with any other file. Rebootting the box (OFF/ON) did not fix the problem. Rebooting the screen OFF/ON from the switch did fix it: all the previous non working files (with sound KO) were outputting sound normally again.

nnay07
11-05-2011, 07:02 PM
A pitty that SD card cannot be use for timeshift fonction...

nnay07
11-05-2011, 07:08 PM
Would be interesting to have the possibility to have different configurations according to the input: external BR player, internal DVBT decoder, external game console, or will not ask for the same image settings (color settings, motion flow settings,...).

nnay07
11-05-2011, 07:10 PM
TV guide does not seem to be upgrading itself in the background while watching TV...

nnay07
11-05-2011, 07:13 PM
When switching to a different TV channel, I am lacking the ongoing program name and length onscreen that was typically shown on my previous digital TVs.

edenarene
11-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Have a 58pfl9956 since 3 weeks running 14.84

sometimes (can't tell why) after watching TV and starting a movie via PC or PS3 the 3d signal seems not to work.
Signal is not coming to the glasses. Only power down and up solves the issue.

During 3d movie's ambilight is "flashing" every now and then. Something like ones every minute on a non-regular basis. Wierd and anoying. Like 0,3 seconds full white light. Looks like a flash.....

Speed of the philips menu and zapping through the channels (with CI+ on Ziggo) is dramatic. I counted 3.8 second from one to another channel.

Please .....I hope someday there will be an update that solves every problem for al Philips posessors

Ed

jgl
11-07-2011, 10:31 AM
When switching to a different TV channel, I am lacking the ongoing program name and length onscreen that was typically shown on my previous digital TVs.

Hello nnay07, not exactly the same (not automatic nor superposed) but you have the info of now/next via remote "Options->Program". There you can also change between both to read the synopsis.

nnay07
11-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Hello nnay07, not exactly the same (not automatic nor superposed) but you have the info of now/next via remote "Options->Program". There you can also change between both to read the synopsis.
I knew about this option, thanks anyway.
But indeed, the great thing of having it automatically and superposed is that you know from the very instant at which you connect to a new channel if you want to stay or to move to a new one.
Well... I guess everyone knows what I mean.

kookaburra
11-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Dear Sirs,

I am the owner of a brand new TV 58pfl9956, that I received just a few days ago.

I have been experiencing some difficulties with the local dimming, it does not work properly, and its performance does not seem any logical criteria, with continuous variation of intensity. I have even had to turn it off in order to achieve a minimum of clarity.

I have been informed that several owners of this TV model (21:9- 2011) are experiencing the same difficulties, and I would like you to confirm me If you are aware of this problem and working to solve it out; were it not so, I would be forced to return the TV to the seller, as, due to the aforementioned problem of the local dimming, my TV is very far from offering the high image quality and excellent performance that I had expect of a state of the art TV.

I eagerly await for your answer, thanking you in advance for your interest.

Best regards,

banjeep
11-08-2011, 03:20 PM
i have the model 37 7605 and 9606m, quality image in sd is better in model 7605:mad:

Mariuss
11-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Hi,

@Mariuss

try to use the hard off switch to make a really clean boot... This should always be done after a firmware update was successful...

Toengel@Alex

Didn't help :(

mengaraf
11-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Hello mengaraf, perhaps the 'Auto switch off' feature is the culprit?

Regards.

Hello jgl,
"Auto switch off" is OFF but sometimes my 37pfl9606 went in standby after 2/3 hours without doing anything anyway.

Polderboy
11-10-2011, 03:08 PM
You have your dynamic backlight switch on ? Or does that nog exist in the 9 series?
Dear Sirs,

I am the owner of a brand new TV 58pfl9956, that I received just a few days ago.

I have been experiencing some difficulties with the local dimming, it does not work properly, and its performance does not seem any logical criteria, with continuous variation of intensity. I have even had to turn it off in order to achieve a minimum of clarity.

I have been informed that several owners of this TV model (21:9- 2011) are experiencing the same difficulties, and I would like you to confirm me If you are aware of this problem and working to solve it out; were it not so, I would be forced to return the TV to the seller, as, due to the aforementioned problem of the local dimming, my TV is very far from offering the high image quality and excellent performance that I had expect of a state of the art TV.

I eagerly await for your answer, thanking you in advance for your interest.

Best regards,

Cinema 21:9
11-11-2011, 05:12 AM
I have the 58 PFL 9956 21:9 now since a few days.
The unit switches itself off sporadically simple, although not automatic shutdown is active.
Also there is the picture again and again strange flashes of light. These will be less if you go back to factory settings and for a long period of power cut.
Also the local dimming is erroneous even in the standard setting, there is the extreme brightness varies with insertion of text or subtitles. This circuit is hyperactive in every shot for no reason!
When HDMI handshake (resolution change switch to another source) pattern noise appears in the form of blue dots and stripes that flare!
Playback only via HDMI from HDTV receiver and Philips Bluray player.
Please leave these errors quickly, the device is useless!

(Google Translator)

kookaburra
11-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Phiilips (Thomas), could please you answer the claims regarding image quality 21:9 (local dimming). We need to know if Phillips is curently aware of this issue and is already working on it? We eagerly await your answer. Best regards.

Philips - Thomas
11-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Hi

we are not aware of any Issues with the Local Dimming Feature for this TV Series.
For those who think they have problems with Local Dimming, please post a Video of the Situation in here, together with your Serial No.

Thanks
Thomas

mduran
11-11-2011, 03:48 PM
Some guy posted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-foJnhECQ8

That is also exactly what I have with a 9606 production week 43. Look at the top and bottom. Also still audio issue's, TV that's rebooting or turning off. HDNM that is too agressive, missing large parts of fast moving objects.

kookaburra
11-11-2011, 11:35 PM
My problems with local dimming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9vkZIhpS8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBatVsHrZtA

SN/ VN1B1134001224 and VN1B1135001427

kookaburra
11-11-2011, 11:49 PM
Same images with local dimming off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM6I9pMwNVY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZjgqp5s7RI

11-12-2011, 05:54 AM
I confirm that the same problems with my 9956th PFL 58
One can see in one of the top videos of the good of this lightning screen, which also occurs at irregular intervals at me again and again.
The image is also constantly at every small change in dark and bright
Do your technicians do not own such a device at home and do not see this obvious aberration?
Unfortunately I only have a bad cell phone camera which these artifacts can not represent as good as what the human eye.
Please pass this video and our thread's on to your engineers, we ask for help!

(Google Translator)

kookaburra
11-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Confirm what the partner says. The video is not so pronounced effect, but the place is constantly dimmin varying intensity throughout the image. You can not watch TV as well. The next Saturday I change the tv, and I will report if the new one has this problem, but I'm afraid so.

(Google Translator)

jowile
11-12-2011, 02:56 PM
My TV : 37pfl9606H/12. It is using FW v0.14.84.0.

Hi

Two questions
1 is de rebooting problem solved for UPC C+ cards?
2 Is there any chance that this tv will be certified by UPC?

Thanks for your reply

nnay07
11-12-2011, 10:55 PM
4 weird problems discovered on 9706:
- On DVBT, upper line(s) of the immage appear as a dotted line with 1cm large white dots. Switching to a different channel and back solved the problem.

- Black panel with no TV channel when switching on the TV (from OFF status with back pannel switch). Image came back after pressing the home button. As if the TV had tried to enter an empty menu after booting instead than booting directly to the TV channels. Might due to the fact that the external HDD connected to the TV has internal batteries and switches OFF if TV is switched OFF (hence not the same number of entries in the menus or something so)?

- Don't know the correct name for it, but when watching football on TV, during any travelling scenes showing the green grass, I can see as if I have some dirt on the screen: in reality some parts of the image look slightly darker than the others. The dark areas are always at the same place on the screen (they do not follow the image). Tought it was called banding but it is not... more something like clouding...

- When booting on HD DVBT channels, from time to time, channel is pixelizing while sound and receive levels are OK. Screen is full of colored little pixels (not big blocks) and image cannot be seen.

EdgarPrao
11-13-2011, 03:57 PM
The 52PFL9606K forgets the PNM (PerfectNaturalMotion) settings with 14.84 firmware:

Power on the TV, go to image settings, select a SmartImage preset (eg. Default) and reset the preset to defaults. Then open the PerfectPixelHD menu and select PerfectNaturalMotion. Set the option to off and close the settings menu. Power off the TV and wait 10 seconds. Restart the TV. Now the PerfectNaturalMotion feature is still enabled even it is shown as disabled in the image settings menu.

To disable the feature you will have to open the image settings again and enable and disable the PNM feature or alternatively you may switch to another SmartImage preset that has PNM disabled.

bluevoice
11-14-2011, 01:27 PM
I also noticed this on my Philips Cinema Gold TV, although the PNM is turned off on my TV, I see a lot of artifacts near subtitles (which sometime become invisible) if a fast image is displayed in the background. Do you also experience this with subs?

11-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Here's a video of the flashes in the picture. These occur sporadically every few minutes! If you disable Clear LCD, the flashes occur less often! Sorry, my camera has bad quality! http://www.vidup.de/v/pO7oW/

mduran
11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
I also noticed this on my Philips Cinema Gold TV, although the PNM is turned off on my TV, I see a lot of artifacts near subtitles (which sometime become invisible) if a fast image is displayed in the background. Do you also experience this with subs?

This is normal. The HDNM isn't powerfull enough to calculate the entire picture in a few ms. So these items have halo's. Like an helicopter in a perfect blue sky will disappear entirely. Or a train will have weird focus when it's fast. You'll have to live with it.. ;-)

nnay07
11-14-2011, 08:09 PM
This is normal. The HDNM isn't powerfull enough to calculate the entire picture in a few ms. So these items have halo's. Like an helicopter in a perfect blue sky will disappear entirely. Or a train will have weird focus when it's fast. You'll have to live with it.. ;-)
What is HDNM?
When watching movies, I wouldn't mind having a delay betweem the reading and the display of the image in order to let more time to the HDNM to complete its job if it means better motion handling.
Common, this is a high end TV: basics should be well handled

Toengel
11-15-2011, 06:24 AM
Hi,

HDNM = HD Natural Motion

Toengel@Alex

kookaburra
11-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Hello, Im posting the fragments Ive used to test my set so that anyone who is interested may also test theirs. Please post the results so that both Phillips and any other owner can be informed of this issue. Good luck.

Star Wars. Episode I: The Phantom Menace. 2min, 40sec

American Psycho. 21min, 30sec
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBatVsHrZtA&feature=related

Philips admin
11-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Dear all,

Regarding "black screen"and "rebooting" issues some of you might encounter after upgrade to v14.84 software: please read here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?2950-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.14.84.0-for-5806-6000-and-7000-series-(2011-models)&p=16860&viewfull=1#post16860).

Regards,
JuAn

banjeep
11-15-2011, 04:24 PM
I have the TV philips 37 9606m, sometimes the settings menu is very slow,
Philips, in the next update because it does not enter the bar channel information not to full screen?
similar a this:
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7684/15112011.jpg
or this:
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/9256/15112011001.jpg

all holders of the TV philips want it

Toengel
11-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Hi,

the Now/Next feature was many times addressed here in the forum... Philips is looking into it, but they cannot promise anything (it is a certification / licencing issue).

Toengel@Alex

mduran
11-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Philips, in the next update because it does not enter the bar channel information not to full screen?
similar a this:
or this:

I don't want it. Let Philips please fix bugs that are in the software. If everything works like it should we can ask for enhancements.

Open Bugs
- Rebooting TV
- Unable to power on TV after discrete power off command with Logitech remote
- TV's that turn off automatically after a certain amount of time.
- TV's that turn on but don't display image (ambilight and sound works) I never had this myself.
- Strange or no sound when zapping thru HDMI inputs.
- TV is unable to change picture format on autoformat
- Flashing backlight or large areas are lit on top or at the bottom area

For the rest it is a perfect TV.

@Philips Admin, I can reproduce the broken sound issue time after time.
-

MaNo
11-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Thomas,

My experiences with the firmware 014.084 of the 19th of October with the 46PFL9706/12 is the same as Mariuss. Sometimes when powering on, the screen remains black with Ambilight working. It's happening right after the TV is turned on hard by the switch on the right side. Note: I'm using an external cable tuner (dreambox), connected to HDMI 1.

I've got another question about the firmware, is there a possibility to catch the dmesg and syslog like other linux-based appliances? It could help you guys for troubleshooting! Which part of the sourcecode is made public by Philips? Is it possible to debug the TV with the sourcecode?

Thank you in advance,

Martijn.

I've tested some with the TV and I think I know the problem with the black screen and ambilight/sound working. When turned on with the hard switch, the Philips logo will appear. DON'T USE THE REMOTE AT THAT MOMENT! Please wait 20-30 seconds till the screen will turn off (the backlight must be turned off as well). It seems like the TV accepts instructions from the remote during the boot!

nnay07
11-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Unable to see any change in the gamma settings when changing the gamma option in the menus.
Test done using the following calibration page from the embedded explorer:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php
Gamma menu ineffective in the browser or gamma menu inefective at all?

PinkChocobo
11-16-2011, 09:22 AM
I have a 46pfl9706 and i cant enable the 3D modes over VGA. I cant play stereoscopic games on my XBOX 360 (old model without hdmi connection). Please enable the 3D options of the TV on VGA connection on next firmware version.

Thanks

Toengel
11-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Hi,

do not hope...

You cannot connect a device with VGA with FullHD resolution to your Philips TV - and for 3D you need FullHD resolution.

Toengel@Alex

PinkChocobo
11-16-2011, 09:40 AM

I have watched a similar error on the Wanted trailer, in the last seconds of the trailer where the words appears. I think you can minify this error disabling the Clear LCD option.

meme80
11-16-2011, 10:07 AM
similar a this:
or this:

I don't want it. Let Philips please fix bugs that are in the software. If everything works like it should we can ask for enhancements. -

I would appreciate that feature. As of now if you want to see what it is on screen you need to use more then one button on the remote controller and the screen goes all black. It is more then enought, and even more beautiful to see, a small channel information bar with the option to expand it if you need more details.

Sometimes you just want to know what is now on TV and it seems stupid to black all the screen just to show a title info in the left upper corner!!!!

I agree that the bugs of the auto switch off is top priority but please take our request as a valid input to improve the overall usability of the TV. The TV pannel quality is a strenght point of this TV whilst the sw usability is a weak point (every one I know agrees with that, have a look in this (http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/showthread.php?t=198654&page=20) italian forum).

PinkChocobo
11-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Hi,

do not hope...

You cannot connect a device with VGA with FullHD resolution to your Philips TV - and for 3D you need FullHD resolution.

Toengel@Alex

I can perfecty output 1980x1080P using VGA from my XBOX 360 and from my PC. Why you tell me that VGA doesn't support FullHD resolution.

Whats about components connection, supports 3D and 1080P?

Toengel
11-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Hi,

well - on 2010 devices the VGA connector resolution was limited to 1360 x 768p – 60 Hz.

Does that changed on 2011 devices?

Toengel@Alex

Philips - Thomas
11-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Hi

we do support up to 1920x1080 on the VGA Input.
However, when it comes to external Devices and 3D, HDMI is a must.
No VGA, no Component.

Regards
Thomas

banjeep
11-16-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't want it. Let Philips please fix bugs that are in the software. If everything works like it should we can ask for enhancements.

-

You do not want it? This is better???
http://i40.tinypic.com/34g5wue.jpg

but please, do not understand anything,you are in the minority

I know that we must first solve the problems

Toengel
11-16-2011, 03:41 PM

Hi,

well - then you need to fix the user manuals of 2010 TVs. For example the DFU-PDF from the 58PFL9955 states that for VGA connection only 1360 x 768p – 60 Hz is possible.

Toengel@Alex

Philips - Thomas
11-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Hi

i don't think that this is neccessary as we are in the 2k11 Subforum, talking about 2k11 TV's ;)

Regards
Thomas

meme80
11-16-2011, 03:50 PM
You do not want it? This is better???
http://i40.tinypic.com/34g5wue.jpg
but please, do not understand anything,you are in the minority
I know that we must first solve the problems

Thanks banjeep for posting that picture. It gives the right idea of the problem.
Having the screen completly black only for showing the title of the TV show is useless.
Also it is ridiculous see that in some cases the name of the TV show is bigger of the space foreseen and in that case you have the whole TV screen black and you cannot see the complete TV show name that continuosly scroll on the TV screen...

Please follow our suggestions and change that.

I'm happy yo see that you live in italy too (I'm from Genova).

PinkChocobo
11-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi

However, when it comes to external Devices and 3D, HDMI is a must.
No VGA, no Component.

Regards
Thomas

Its a sorry that 3D dont work on VGA or component connections (only 2D->3D conversion its avaliable).
Using DLNA,USB or HDMI connections all 3D modes are avaliable.

I know that Philips firmwares are based on open source gnu licenses, its possible to get the source code of the firmware? do you know something about it Thomas?

Very thanks

worti
11-16-2011, 07:37 PM
Hello Philips,

I recently bought your new "top TV" 9706. Unfortunatly there are so many bugs with the software (latest firmware is installed). I have following problems (as many other customers):

* turning off randomly or rebooting
* TV program guide sometimes not working
* loading of menu takes sometimes very long
* recording to USB Harddisk wasn't working
* onetime there was only sound and no image

Can you tell me when this problems will get fixed? I'm currently thinking about returning my TV because it's a shame how this high priced products are (not) working.

meme80
11-17-2011, 06:45 AM
Hello Philips,

I recently bought your new "top TV" 9706. Unfortunatly there are so many bugs with the software (latest firmware is installed). I have following problems (as many other customers):

* turning off randomly or rebooting
* TV program guide sometimes not working
* loading of menu takes sometimes very long
* recording to USB Harddisk wasn't working

I have the same problem on my 47PFL7606M/08 Tv.
Sometimes there are also writing problem with the HDD.
Honestly I waited for 6 months to have this TV and next time I will buy a Samsung, or something else, without any doubt. If you don't miss the Ambilight there is no need to buy a Philips today. The quality of the sw is, without any doubt, unacceptable low for even high priced TV.

Can you tell me when this problems will get fixed? I'm currently thinking about returning my TV because it's a shame how this high priced products are (not) working.

If I were you I would bring back the TV to the shop and buy something else. This is the only way to make Philips move with a fix.
Unfortunately for me it is too late and I cannot do it. I wasted my time waiting for a fix from Philips and now this is the result.

TVs, as any other product like mobile phone or TV recorder, should not be TESTED by million of users that have paid for a WORKING product. Philips was a good brand, it was.

Philips - Thomas
11-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Its a sorry that 3D dont work on VGA or component connections (only 2D->3D conversion its avaliable).
Using DLNA,USB or HDMI connections all 3D modes are avaliable.

I know that Philips firmwares are based on open source gnu licenses, its possible to get the source code of the firmware? do you know something about it Thomas?

Very thanks

Hi

Just contact your Local Call Center and they will arrange everything.
http://www.support.philips.com/support/catalog_selector.jsp?COOKIE=off

Regards
Thomas

ihvan75
11-17-2011, 10:22 AM
I would appreciate that feature. As of now if you want to see what it is on screen you need to use more then one button on the remote controller and the screen goes all black. It is more then enought, and even more beautiful to see, a small channel information bar with the option to expand it if you need more details.

Sometimes you just want to know what is now on TV and it seems stupid to black all the screen just to show a title info in the left upper corner!!!!

I agree that the bugs of the auto switch off is top priority but please take our request as a valid input to improve the overall usability of the TV. The TV pannel quality is a strenght point of this TV whilst the sw usability is a weak point (every one I know agrees with that, have a look in this (http://www.avmagazine.it/forum/showthread.php?t=198654&page=20) italian forum).
Hi meme80,
I quote your message to join the request to ri-implement the functionality already present in old philips TV series, as my old 37PFL8694. This feature is simply the possibility to have each change of channel, an upper bar reporting the information as the time, the actual program and the next one when available. So this is not really a new feature just restore an old one...
This is, in my opinion, very important because already the new remotes are very bad (missing few buttons respoct the past as the ambilight one, direct info button, format picture and others) and press several button to obtain an information that avoid to watch the transmission is very frustrating...
Bye!

EdgarPrao
11-17-2011, 05:52 PM
The 52PFL9606K forgets the PNM (PerfectNaturalMotion) settings with 14.84 firmware:

Power on the TV, go to image settings, select a SmartImage preset (eg. Default) and reset the preset to defaults. Then open the PerfectPixelHD menu and select PerfectNaturalMotion. Set the option to off and close the settings menu. Power off the TV and wait 10 seconds. Restart the TV. Now the PerfectNaturalMotion feature is still enabled even it is shown as disabled in the image settings menu.

To disable the feature you will have to open the image settings again and enable and disable the PNM feature or alternatively you may switch to another SmartImage preset that has PNM disabled.

Can somebody please try this with the 14.84 firmware? Choose an image preset that you don't use so you won't loose your personal image settings. You should have the ability to see whether PNM is enabled or not to confirm the bug.

Thank you.

PinkChocobo
11-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Can somebody please try this with the 14.84 firmware? Choose an image preset that you don't use so you won't loose your personal image settings. You should have the ability to see whether PNM is enabled or not to confirm the bug.

Thank you.

I think that sometimes that happens to me on my 46PFL9706 using 14.84 firm, you notice that when switching ON/OFF the clear LCD option various times and the image dont change at all, normally a little change on the bright of the image can be detected when switching ON/OFF if you dont detect that minimal change perhaps you are incurring on this bug.

Simon1979
11-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Dear all,

Regarding "black screen"and "rebooting" issues some of you might encounter after upgrade to v14.84 software: please read here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?2950-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.14.84.0-for-5806-6000-and-7000-series-(2011-models)&p=16860&viewfull=1#post16860).

Regards,
JuAn

@JuAn, Philips admin: sometimes my 37pfl9606 goes in standby mode after 2 minutes (yes, minutes!) without doing anything. (sleeping mode is disabled) Is this another bug or the same one? What's the status regarding a new firmware which will solve this? When can we expect it?
And if the problems remain, can I return the TV to the retailer and have my money back? For a TV with EISA award I expect much more...

By the way, is there a way to downgrade to an older firmware? And if so, where can those be downloaded? (not from the Philips FTP)

maikel7
11-21-2011, 07:05 PM
I have a lot of banding in my 46pfl9706 with the latest software that is available in the Netherlands. Can this be solved by Philips by an updated firmware? Or do I need to call the store where I bought it to replace it for a model without this problem? Or is it a problem that can not be solved and is part of this model?

Philips - Thomas
11-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Hi maikel7,

can you please post a picture of this banding so we can see whats going on?

Thanks
Thomas

kookaburra
11-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Hi

we are not aware of any Issues with the Local Dimming Feature for this TV Series.
For those who think they have problems with Local Dimming, please post a Video of the Situation in here, together with your Serial No.

Thanks
Thomas

Dear Thomas,
As you asked I published the videos ( 2 with their corresponding details) in which the incidence regarding the local dimming were clearly evident.
Unfortunately although the store has changed my TV the new set has exactly the same problem.
I would like to confirm you that you have seen the videos and for you to inform if any action is going to be taken in order to resolve this issue.
If no measure is foreseen I would have to return the Tv as I consider this issue to be a very clear quality defect.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?2923-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.14.84.0-for-8000-9000-and-21-9-series-(2011-models)/page4

meme80
11-22-2011, 12:18 PM
similar a this:
or this:

I definitely soponsor your idea.
Have the whole screen dark just to show the tv show is useless.

juodo
11-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi maikel7,

Thanks
Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I'm very disappointed with 46PFL9706K/02 banding problem too. Is there impossible show plane white with backlight technology or just hardware bug? Attaching image where you can see a bands and backlight led's visible. Showing 100% white jpeg uncompressed image from usb key, with Ambilight and without.

maikel7
11-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Hi maikel7,

Thanks
Thomas

Hello Thomas,

It is not possible for me to take pictures, because the TV is already in the box because I am going to return it to the store where I bought it. They are going to replace it for a Samsung D8000. They say that it can not be solved, so if I am not happy with it that I have to try an other tv. I have chosen for the Samsung because this screen has no local dimming, I think this is the problem of banding (correct me if I am wrong).

On youtube I found a movie which reproduces my problem very good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHfl_kIFnGo

Thursday it will be replaced. But if Philips manage to solve the banding problem before thursday I might keep it, because the picture of broadcasts without movement of the camera is very good...

Do you think it can be solved by Philips?

11-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Dear Thomas,
As you asked I published the videos ( 2 with their corresponding details) in which the incidence regarding the local dimming were clearly evident.
Unfortunately although the store has changed my TV the new set has exactly the same problem.
I would like to confirm you that you have seen the videos and for you to inform if any action is going to be taken in order to resolve this issue.
If no measure is foreseen I would have to return the Tv as I consider this issue to be a very clear quality defect.

http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?2923-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.14.84.0-for-8000-9000-and-21-9-series-(2011-models)/page4

I also certify once these aberrations. There is always an unnecessary change of image brightness visible!
Dear Thomas, please forward the videos on to your engineers, this problem and also the lightning in the picture is to look terrible and can not be state of the art!
My serial number is: VN1B1139002067
(Google Translator)

PEA
11-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Hi Thomas,

I'm very disappointed with 46PFL9706K/02 banding problem too. Is there impossible show plane white with backlight technology or just hardware bug? Attaching image where you can see a bands and backlight led's visible. Showing 100% white jpeg uncompressed image from usb key, with Ambilight and without.

Hi Juodo and Philips team!

I have exactly the same issue with my 46PFL9706H/12. I clearly see the all the same "spots" in the middle right of the LED backlight on very clear pictures and in white internet pages (like Google home page).

I have also the flashing ambilight issue when I'm looking 3D contents via HDMI ports (all tested). This "flashing issue" doesn't appear when I'm watching 3D movies via Youtube app or USB media port. (This bug was not present in the previous fw)

(I'm using the latest fw v0.14.84.0)

Hope the next fw will solve this problems...

kookaburra
11-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Dear Thomas,

My second TV with local dimming problems.

Serial Number VN1B1135001427

nnay07
11-22-2011, 08:51 PM
At night, switching OFF my 9706 from the remote (standby) did not switch OFF the ambilight. Screen went black as usual but ambilight kept on... the whole night... and the day after. Had to manually switch OFF the TV.
Note: ambilight is configured to progressively switch OFF when going to stand by mode.

EdgarPrao
11-22-2011, 08:54 PM

Power on the TV, go to image settings, open the PerfectPixelHD menu and select PerfectNaturalMotion. Set the option to off and close the settings menu. Power off the TV and wait some seconds. Restart the TV. Now the PerfectNaturalMotion feature is still enabled even it is shown as disabled in the image settings menu.

Remark: I posted the issue already in the 14.84 thread but no moderator replied. So I started this new thread and hope that a moderator will take notice of the issue.

EdgarPrao
11-22-2011, 09:08 PM
The following error occurs with FW 14.84 on 52PFL9606K:

I watch a digital TV channel in germany over internal DVB-C tuner in HD (e.g. 'ZDF HD'). Switching to an analogue cable channel will result in sound loss on optical output. The sound loss does not happen if I switch to a digital -NON- HD channel first (e.g. WDR).

The error happens with CI module connected and also without the CI module.

11-23-2011, 06:30 AM
My Cinema turns off after 2 hours every day. It is well known and will hopefully soon stopped. This morning my girlfriend only later went out of the house and suddenly the device has also turned on by itself and shows a gray screen! When will there be an update for here? One may indeed, the device does not leave them unattended!
(Google Translator)

Kalle73
11-23-2011, 10:00 AM
At night, switching OFF my 9706 from the remote (standby) did not switch OFF the ambilight. Screen went black as usual but ambilight kept on... the whole night... and the day after. Had to manually switch OFF the TV.
Note: ambilight is configured to progressively switch OFF when going to stand by mode.

I actually had the invers situation. I turned the tv off (standby), ambilight went off and the next morning the screen was grey (backlight on) with the ambilight off and the standby led on!!! This has happened twice. Next time I will take a photo.

In addition I can confirm the shut downs when the philips logo does not appear while starting and the PNM seems active, though the modus has PNM deactivated

appieollo
11-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Yesterday there has been someone from maintenance service who solved the problems i had with starting the tv with black screen....

He said it came because of the update through wifi. If you update through USB , you do not get the problems.....

So he has set the tv back to virgin mode and some little other settings ( i have not seen what he has done exactly ), put his own usb stick with the same firmware in the tv. He went to a service menu and did the new installation of firmware and after that he solved the problem.....

Now 24 hours later is still have not had the same issue, while before i had it every time i powered on the tv....

I also had the same problem as many others with the flickering images.

He solved this also, but you can too......;-) you have to disable power savings.... as that helped for us ;-)

We now have a tv , that has all i want...... incl. perfect screen that until now always starts ;-)

P.s.: I had contacted Philips after sale service for this issue and they send someone from the maintenance service

Philips - Thomas
11-24-2011, 11:59 AM
My second TV with local dimming problems.

Serial Number VN1B1135001427

Hi,

we are working on the reported situation and analyze the Files.
You will hear from me as soon as there is anthing to share.
Meanwhile, stop spamming the Forum!

Regards
Thomas

kookaburra
11-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Hello Thomas,

Many thanks for your reply.
It has never been my intention to "spam". All I wanted was information and /or updates on an issue that worries me. I regret that that my intentions have been misunderstood. In any case Im glad that Phillips is working on the issue and I sincerely hope that they will achieve a solution. Nonetheless I regret that some of my posts have been erased from the Forum today.

Best regards.

EdgarPrao
11-24-2011, 11:27 PM
[...] To disable the feature you will have to open the image settings again and enable and disable the PNM feature or alternatively you may switch to another SmartImage preset that has PNM disabled. [...]

I have to correct my statement: the second solution to disable the PNM feature does not work. Switching to another image preset with disabled PNM will still keep the feature active. You have to open the image settings menu and explicitly enable and disable the PNM setting to disable it until the next restart.

Kalle73: Thank you for your confirmation on that issue.

Appieollo: How can I disable the power saving setting? Or do you mean 'Auto switch off' in the Preferences menu?

EDIT: I tried to disable the 'Auto switch off' option in 'Preferences' but the PNM setting is still not remembered after I restart the TV.

Philips - Thomas
11-25-2011, 06:19 AM
Hi EdgarPrao, Kalle73

we are investigating on the PNM Settings. I'll let you know as soon as there are any News.

Regards
Thomas

banjeep
11-25-2011, 02:56 PM
pressing the volume keys have this window

bug or no?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLe6Fknwpsg

a_Tom
11-25-2011, 02:58 PM
video is marked as private...

banjeep
11-25-2011, 03:11 PM
ah,excuse me ,thank
this?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLe6Fknwpsg

nnay07
11-25-2011, 09:10 PM
I actually had the invers situation. I turned the tv off (standby), ambilight went off and the next morning the screen was grey (backlight on) with the ambilight off and the standby led on!!! This has happened twice. Next time I will take a photo.

I did face exactly the same issue this morning. TV had been put in standby through the remote at night. When grey, pressing the power button of the TV switched it ON (meaning it was thinking it was in an OFF state).
Looking forward to receive the next FW update.

kookaburra
11-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Hello Thomas, The glasses that came with my tv set (PTA516) make a very disturbing sound. Apparently Phillips is aware of this issue and they planned to have it resolved by week 48 (this week). Ive contacted Phillips Spain but theyve answered that theyre not familiar with this issue. Can you help to clarify the actual situation? Many thanks for your assistance.

Philips - Thomas
11-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi Guys

the "noise" making googles are known and we are working on a Solution.
We expect a Solution early 2012.

Regards
Thomas

udo
11-29-2011, 01:09 PM
I did face exactly the same issue this morning. TV had been put in standby through the remote at night. When grey, pressing the power button of the TV switched it ON (meaning it was thinking it was in an OFF state).

I noticed exactly same behavior last two mornings. I don't think it had occured before. Grey screen, white LEDs of ambilight, after pressing the remote control power button a DVB-T channel quickly went on and immediately (after 1 sec?) switched to another DVB-T channel, that one remained to play. After pressing the power button again the TV set went off to black screen as usually.
Might be connected with the fact that I connected a PC through HDMI cable (HDMI2 slot) a few days ago and this PC does sometimes wake up during the night. Will try to disconnect this to come on trail.

Looking forward to receive the next FW update. Yes, yes, yes! for so many issues...

kookaburra
11-29-2011, 01:49 PM
Hi Guys

the "noise" making googles are known and we are working on a Solution.
We expect a Solution early 2012.

Regards
Thomas

Many thanks for your assistance. Best regards.

meme80
12-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Hi,
I've just created a poll for 2D->3D conversion software lack.
Have a look here (http://polldaddy.com/poll/5718404/) and vote pls.

I believe that if we reach a considerable amount of people voting there maybe a chance to have this feature on our tv.

Philips - Thomas
12-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi

i did explain this before but i will again.
2D to 3D conversion is about Hard and Software.
TV's which have this feature, does have it because of the Hardware capabilities of the TVs.
TV's which don't have it, simply don't have it.

I'm fine with your Poll, because this is your Opinion but i will not accept any Discussion on that one in here.

Regards
Thomas

meme80
12-01-2011, 10:40 AM
Hi
TV's which have this feature, does have it because of the Hardware capabilities of the TVs.

Ok, sorry I was not aware of this.
This means that there is no possibility for having this feature implemented because of an hardware limitation. This is clear but it is also a pity to have to give up with this feature (sorry for my english). If available it would have been another plus on this tv.

banjeep
12-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Hi

I'm fine with your Poll, because this is your Opinion but i will not accept any Discussion on that one in here.

Regards
Thomas
Hello thomas,
and for this?The TV does NOT read mkv with audio track DTS.Inability to handle double audio track in mkv file.

There will be a solution?

Philips - Thomas
12-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Hi,

as we dont support DTS > no.

Regards
Thomas

banjeep
12-01-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi,

Regards
Thomas
I understand patience, we will go on ac3.XD
you make it before Christmas to release the new firmware?
you know that many users are waiting for the new firmware to buy a new TV

Brakius
12-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Hi Thomas,

@Thomas from Philips, I have this problem also. Comes Philips with a solution for this problem this year or also begin 2012?

meme80
12-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Hi,

Regards
Thomas

@Thomas
That's another feature we would have had on this TV. I'm sad to know that it won't be implemented.
Anyhow at least we have a clear reply from Philips on this.

What about double audio track support. At this time only the first track is selectable.

Is there any possibility to have a firmware to add this feature in the future?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Very Best Regards,

frankie
12-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Model: 46pfl9706H/12
Firmware: 000.014.084.000

Once a while the ambilight flashes white as if a picture is taken. Not a great experience.

Also in more dark images there is a ghosting effect noticiable as you can see the led backlight switching on an off, especially with slow moving images this is very noticeable. Unexpected for such an expensive TV

When I put my TV in standby, being connected to a receiver via HDMI-ARC , the sound does not always come back to life (mutes). To solve this you then need to shutdown (off/on) the TV completely to get the sound back.

Booting of the TV takes long and the Philips logo is lighting up several times as well as the baclight, not a crisp boot process. I do no think that this is a functional failure, but not great boot process in firmware, but it does not provide a premium experience you expect from such a high end TV

12-04-2011, 03:41 PM
Still have a problem with the Localdimming.
In dark images often this pattern comes from the backlight.
If you disable Localdimming, the pattern is gone. 657658

Downloadlink Testpatterns: http://www.w6rz.net/irewindow5.zip

petasis
12-04-2011, 07:53 PM
What are your contrast & brightness settings?
Can you try with contrast 70 & 51 brightness?

Bert
12-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I have the philips 46PFL8606 Led tv:

I'm very satisfied about the image quality of the tv, such as colour/contrast/response time/...

There is only 1 issue (already mentioned in this topic):
- Flashing backlight or large areas are lit on top or at the bottom area of the screen

I hope Philips will find a solution for this via a firmware upgrade

12-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Yes, the flash of the backlight is a big problem. One could assume that there exists a fault of the HDMI software! But I have even been tested new cable and other source devices that ruled out an error, the lightning bug occurs again and again. It is very bad!

@ Petasis

My attitude is the backlight Contrast 45, Brightness 50, Contrast Video 90, Localdimming standard
Other settings are too bright and too exaggerated!

(Google Translator)

petasis
12-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Do the 2011 have two contrast settings?
Despite that may be too bright, if you try it, do you still get the patterns in the white square?
If you try various contrast settings, is there a minimal value after which they disappear?

12-05-2011, 11:29 AM
I've tried several settings and factory setting, the pattern always comes when the Localdimming on. It does not matter whether I play External, or via USB or WiFi. The pattern is common in movies when the image is dark.

(Google Translator)

12-05-2011, 05:33 PM
I have again tested different settings, tried all sorts of menu items in different strengths. No change will prevent the occurrence of the pattern in a certain weak brightness.
Only the change of attitude Localdimming "best picture" darkens the test image so far, which one perceives not the pattern!
For example, in Bluray movie Green Lantern at the end before the credits roll, one also sees the pattern shortly. I captured a still image of the Bluray with my camera, the moment where the pattern is seen briefly. The photo is a long exposure, so it looks very bright in reality it is quite dark and the moment. The standard setting is Localdimming but in this photo.671

12-05-2011, 06:06 PM
The same point in the film with Localdimming off and best picture.

nnay07
12-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Issue reported by lesnumeriques's lab when reproducing 3D images. The article is about how bad Samsung 6xxx series does it, but the 9706 is also tested and the result is not good.
http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/investigation-active-3d-tvs-full-hd-3d-guaranteed-a1467.html
Obviously a software problem.

... and knowing the great fame of lesnumeriques in France, this problem will be read by hundreds of thousands of people.
Philips should be quick on this one!

mduran
12-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Could someone from Philips please explain why it is taking so long to fix a rather big issue? Please give us version 0.79 to download, revert back to a firmware that has bugs, but not the one thats disabling the most essential part of the TV that is displaying picture! Without turning off by itself.

Someone from Philips commented that they were investigating the issue, I think they are just letting us know they are working on it. But I assume, actually I know for sure, they have no idea where to look. How else can you explain the delay of such an important release. Last update was from 19 oct? It is more than one month ago.

How hard can it be to fix a rebooting TV? Or it is an hardware issue that they want to cover up with firmware patches so they won't have to replace hardware. That'll be more expensive.

Please update us with the progress. We all paid a lot of money for the 8000 and 9000 series. It is not the cheapest Tv out there. Or give a beta out? Do something...

Philips - Thomas
12-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Hi Guys

Someone from Philips commented that they were investigating the issue, I think they are just letting us know they are working on it.

True, we did inform you that we are working on it, would it be better for you if we don't?....

actually I know for sure, they have no idea where to look

Like this Text applies, you must be an Philips Firmware Engineer, so maybe you can share some more insides with all of us?

To all of you:
Yes we do know about those Issues and like we already stated, we are working on it.
Sure we all would be happier if that we go much faster but as a matter of facts, it does not go that fast we all wish...

So all we can do is to be patient. We will share the Solution as soon as it is there.

Regards
Thomas

DerShortyy
12-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Dear Support

I have problem with the 46PFL9706K/02
I have installed the newest firmware.
I have tested a hardware reset but the problems are still on

Problem:
TV shut down without my Action , 1 times on a Day.

This is already my second device.
Other user have the same problem

It is not acceptable for a device in the premium class.

Please fix this problem!

Sincerely
Ronny0712

I can confirm this behaviour. Same device. The automatic shut down option in the menu ist turned to "off".
Started watching TV yesterday at 18.24pm the TV switched off without my action at 20.24 pm

Is this issue under investigation?

DerShortyy
12-06-2011, 07:52 AM
All in all a nice release, but I have problems with occasional reboots.
Shortly before that, the handling feels jumpy, as if the was a task going crazy.
@Philips: Don't know if this helps? Is there anything else to help debugging?

Problem is, there's no straight way to reproduce this - just playing around with HbbTV, NetTV and just switching channels.

Matthias

I can confirm this behaviour. 46pfl9706/k02. SW 14.84. NET TV seems to work fine, but when watching TV and playing with HBBTV there are occasional reboots...

Philips
12-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Dear Customer,

Philips is currently running a pilot with an exiting new service tool called "Remote Service". It will give us the opportunity to diagnose, and often even fix, certain TV model issues at the customers' home via telephone call and internet. This means no more hassle for you to bring a TV to the workshop to get it fixed: just a call to a dedicated call agent, and the TV will be fixed remotely! (*)

To further test this, we would like to invite all forum visitors that experience the following symptom: “TV starts up with sound and Ambilight, but sometimes WITHOUT picture (v14.84 only)”.

TV sets that can apply for this Remote Service fix, must match the following conditions:
• TV must be connected to the internet (Net TV must function),
• TV must have software version 14.84 installed (check e.g. via "123654" on your remote control),
• Model number of the TV must match "xxPFLxxx6x/xx" (from 6000 series upwards).

If your TV matches these conditions, we offer a Remote Service solution in Dutch and English via a call back action (no chat).
To register for this call back action, please go to the web form (click here (http://www.support.philips.com/support/contact/contact_us.jsp?mode=start&formid=CONSUMER&param1=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&param2=&param3=&param4=&modelCategory=Televisie&userLanguage=nl&userCountry=nl&weekDay1=Maandag t/m Vrijdag 08:00 - 20:00&weekEnd1=Zaterdag 09:00 - 18:00&_dyncharset=UTF-8) for Dutch or here (http://www.support.philips.com/support/contact/contact_us.jsp?mode=start&formid=CONSUMER&param1=SOUND_AND_VISION_GR&param2=&param3=&param4=&modelCategory=TV&userLanguage=en&userCountry=nl&weekDay1=Monday - Friday 08:00 - 20:00&weekEnd1=Saturday 09:00 - 18:00&_dyncharset=UTF-8) for English), click away chat pop-up window (if opened), and fill in all details as requested:
1. Product details: Enter your model number, date of purchase, and serial number.
2. Your question / comment: Enter the words REMOTE SERVICE CALL BACK here in the comments box.
3. Personal Information: Fill in as completely as possible and check that the correct country is selected.
4. Call back information: Leave your phone number and country code, and fill in your preferred call back time.
After sending the form, we will take action to call you back at the time you have indicated.

Notes:
• It is important to have access to your TV during the call back.
• As stated, this call back action will only be in Dutch or English. Other languages are currently not supported.
• Opening hours of the call center are: Monday - Friday 08:00 - 20:00, Saturday 09:00 - 18:00
• (*) Not in all cases an issue can be fixed remotely, but the remote diagnosing possibility gives a Service technician a good starting point for a sufficient repair.

Kind regards,
Philips Consumer Care

DRobbieD
12-06-2011, 11:37 AM
I have the philips 46PFL8606 Led TV. I got the tv on the 25th of november and upgraded the firmware because net tv was not working. After upgrading I had a problem that the tv would not show a screen. I only had sound and ambilight working but no picture. It dit not matter if I reset the tv or did a cold start. The servicedesk of philips tried to update my firmware remotely but that didn't work. Finally they send a repair man but with the software he had, he could not fix it. Even wors, after trying to fix it according the standard procedures the tv would not pass the philips logo. The tv was now unusable, so the repair man took it with him to repair in the shop. It should be fixed now and they will return my tv next friday. So I hope for the best.

bik
12-06-2011, 04:08 PM
...following symptom: “TV starts up with sound and Ambilight, but sometimes WITHOUT picture (v14.84 only)”...

Yes...

My config:
Dreambox DM800 HD se
----------HDMI----------
ONKYO TX-SR606
----------HDMI----------
46PFL8606H/60

I think it is related to the connected equipment ... I hope to help.

DerShortyy
12-06-2011, 06:42 PM
2. Your question / comment: Enter only the words REMOTE SERVICE CALL BACK here in the comments box.

Kind regards,
Philips Consumer Care

Hi Juan,

if you just enter the the keywords as you described they will ask for your phone number again. so it might be better if you also enter your phone number after the words.

Till what time in the evening do they call you back?

Best regards

Philips
12-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Hi Juan,

if you just enter the the keywords as you described they will ask for your phone number again. so it might be better if you also enter your phone number after the words.

Till what time in the evening do they call you back?

Best regards

Hi Shortyy,

I don't mind if you put your phone number BEHIND that text line, as long as the comment field starts with "REMOTE SERVICE CALL BACK".

Opening hours of the call center are:
Monday - Friday 08:00 - 20:00
Saturday 09:00 - 18:00

Regards,
JuAn

dante
12-08-2011, 11:47 AM
My problems with local dimming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBatVsHrZtA

I have the same problem with 46PFL9706T/12 with the latest firmware (dated 4.11.2011). Hope they solve the problem soon. It's quite annoying... Of course it's solved by turning off locall dimming but then I loose very much of the black level contrast :(

V4Mp
12-08-2011, 05:30 PM
My Cinema turns off after 2 hours every day. It is well known and will hopefully soon stopped. This morning my girlfriend only later went out of the house and suddenly the device has also turned on by itself and shows a gray screen! When will there be an update for here? One may indeed, the device does not leave them unattended!
(Google Translator)

Same to me.
My device turns off after two hours sometimes. It turns off on tv via satelite and hdmi or scart. So input doesn't matter.

nnay07
12-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Yesterday for the first time in 1 month, my TV (9t switching OFF the HDMI dev706) went OFF alone.
It had been ON for 3 or 4 min only and I was using HDMI3.

After playing a couple of time with the remote, the TV eventually switched back ON and I could watch my movie without any further problem.

However, after putting it into standby mode (without switching OFF the HDMI device), I found this morning the TV with the ambilight and the backlight on (dark blue screen without the typical screen saver image from the HDMI player).

It is the second time I find the TV in such a state when getting up, and the second time I powered it OFF while connected to the HDMI input.

bluevoice
12-12-2011, 05:08 PM
To start, my TV was experiencing a lot of resets and someone from Remote Support swiped the read-only memory of my tv and now there are a lot less resets, but I'm still having the following problems on my Philips Cinema Gold (50PFL7956H/12):

- Perfect Natural Motion (PNM) is always on after you restart the tv even if the menu says it's off. The only way to turn it really off is to turn it on and then back off. Than it stays off until you turn the tv off, after that you'll have to repeat this steps again.
- The tv doesn't always remember the format, it goes back to the top-most option 'Auto-format'
- I have connected the tv to my HTS8562/12 through the HDMI-ARC connection in order to have the sound output through the HTS audio instead that of the TV. I can make the TV reset by changing the source 'blue' button on the HTS remote. As soon as I start cycling around and I change the HDMI-ARC source the tv resets and the Philips logo appears on screen.

@ Philips: is any of the problems described here known to you? Could you please let me know if you are working on a fix? I invested a lot of time in allowing remote support to investigate the problem and I feel I deserve an answer. Thank you in advance for your reply.

EdgarPrao
12-12-2011, 11:29 PM
- PNM issue is known and has been already described in this thread. So please read the thread before you post in it.

- Image format: I remember some situations where I had to adjust the image format even though I adjusted it before but it is the first time I read about it as an issue.

- HDMI and ARC: I suggest to disable the easy link option in the preferences menu. Maybe that helps. Of course it is an issue if the TV resets if you change settings on any connected device.

btw:
- Sound issues are frequently mentioned in all forums about Philips TVs. Imho I think Philips can never fix that sound issues.

bluevoice
12-13-2011, 07:18 AM
- PNM issue is known and has been already described in this thread. So please read the thread before you post in it.

I am watching this forum closely, I know there have been other reports of the PNM being always on, my question is directed to Philips, I want to know if they agnowleged this problem and working on a fix. So far no reaction on this problem.

I am only aware of one case Philips Remote Support is working on addressing a memory issue caused by a ECD update where data was written to the wrong memory. Philips Remote Support applyed this solution to my tv and now I have a lot less resets but I still have resets.

- Image format: I remember some situations where I had to adjust the image format even though I adjusted it before but it is the first time I read about it as an issue.

I always have this issue, not just in some situations.

- HDMI and ARC: I suggest to disable the easy link option in the preferences menu. Maybe that helps. Of course it is an issue if the TV resets if you change settings on any connected device.

Tried this to no avail and I would like to be able to use the Easylink functionality.

btw:
- Sound issues are frequently mentioned in all forums about Philips TVs. Imho I think Philips can never fix that sound issues.
I'm not experiencing any sound issues, my issues are only with the resets of the tv and settings not being remembered, or not functional (like the PNM case).

It would be really nice if Philips could shed a little more light on the issues they agnowleged and working on to solve. As at this moment, I don't know what to do anymore. I called Philips Customer Support, I have a case open, I tried the Remote Support option, I'm posting here, nobody can help. This is not as it should be. I spent €2000 on this high end tv and also a lot of time trying to fix Philips's software problems. I do really like the product, it is brilliant, but the software and the issues mentioned above make the whole experience really bad.

ivanbubu
12-13-2011, 08:33 AM
I have the same issues reported by some other users.
My TV switch off alone after around 2 hours of usage and sometimes
I wake up in the morning and find the TV switched on !
Sometimes I only have a blue screen, sometime it is like grey and
sometime the ambilight is on...
These issue are (to say the least) very annoying.

I have also connected an external usb drive to allow recording :
1. It works randomly (something like 1 times out of 2 tries)
2. I have sometimes a message stating a read error when I change channel
3. Planning a recording is a pain in the a...

On another topic, putting the sound HP in the TV base is the worst idea I have ever seen...
My TV is fixed on the wall, and even if I put the base behind the TV as suggested by Philips,
I can't fix it on the wall in my configuration...
Now the TV is connected to an amplifier and external HP to have the sound !

On a high end TV like mine (46PFL9706) these behaviours should never happen...

Toengel
12-13-2011, 08:45 AM
My TV switch off alone after around 2 hours of usage and sometimes
I wake up in the morning and find the TV switched on !
Sometimes I only have a blue screen, sometime it is like grey and
sometime the ambilight is on...
These issue are (to say the least) very annoying.

Hi,

see: http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/oleeview.pl?view=aa12_view_iframe.html&scy=de&slg=ENG&refnr=0090234&dct=QAC&ctn=46PFL9706K/02

Toengel@Alex

bart8
12-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi,

Just wanted to add that I also have the problem that the tv shuts down automatically without me even touching the remote. Happens on multiple inputs (normal tv or HDMI). I do not notice that the tv turns of after exactly 2 hours, for me it seems to turn of randomly. Also when I turn the tv back on, getting picture over the HDMI again is a pain in the ass.. unplugging the tv and plugging it in again seems to be the best option.
This auto shut down has now become an everyday issue whereas a couple weeks ago this maybe happened once a week.
tv: 50pfl7956 with the 2011-11-04 software installed.

Have seen many posts on this problem, does anyone know if Philips is working on this problem and if this problem is expected to be fixed in the next software update?

Toengel
12-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Hi,

I think Philips already wrote that this bug will be adressed...

Toengel@Alex

mduran
12-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Hi,

I think Philips already wrote that this bug will be adressed...

Toengel@Alex

Yes but when? It is incredible, that it is taking this long and Version 79 and 88 works almost flawless.

Philips
12-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Guys,

A successor of the 14.84 firmware is on its way.
Please read this (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3321-Automatic-shutdown-every-four-hours...&p=19656&viewfull=1#post19656).

Regards,
JuAn

bluevoice
12-13-2011, 09:06 PM
Guys,

A successor of the 14.84 firmware is on its way.
Please read this (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3321-Automatic-shutdown-every-four-hours...&p=19656&viewfull=1#post19656).

Regards,
JuAn

Thanks JuAn, this is great news. Will this be a Christmas present or more like a new year's present?

Philips
12-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks JuAn, this is great news. Will this be a Christmas present or more like a new year's present?

It's a Christmas (2011 ;)) present! Please take a look at your product's support website, the new SW is available now!!! (tip: might need Ctrl-F5 to refresh the web page cache).

Grtz.
JuAn

Toengel
12-14-2011, 09:20 AM
Hi,

for comments on the new firmware: http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3650-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.14.91.0-for-8000-9000-and-21-9-series-(2011-models)

:)

Toengel@Alex

bluevoice
12-14-2011, 09:30 AM
@ Philips - JuAn: could you please provide the changelog (release notes) in order to see what issues have been solved by this firmware update in the thread mentioned above. Thank you in advance.

Brakius
12-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Is the dirty screen effect /banding problem solft with this firmware?

Toengel
12-14-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi,

try it...

Toengel@Alex

Philips - Thomas
12-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi

closed.
Please all use the 14.91 FW (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3650-Your-experiences-with-FW-v0.14.91.0-for-8000-9000-and-21-9-series-(2011-models))

Regards
Thomas