PDA

View Full Version : NP3900 - bad WLAN connectivity

tez
10-21-2011, 07:06 AM
Ive read that the NP3900 has poor WLAN reception, but I didnt know how poor it is:
My NP3900 is placed 3 metres (free sight) from my WLAN access point, and it looses WLAN connection after 15 minutes or so. After this it does not reconnect for some time.
At the same time other WLAN devices like my smartphone do not have any problems with the same WLAN access point (no low cost product!).
I use the latest firmware available, WLAN connection is encrypted with WPA2/PSK, access point is a DrayTek Vigor AP800.
Any comments from Philips?

Tias
10-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Hi Tez !

Some basic things to check/do :

If active, disable WiFi Auto Channel
Check that you are on a WiFi Channel less than 11.
Check DHCP lease times, or better, try a static IP address in your NP3900.
When you lose connection with your NP3900, try to ping it from a PC in the same LAN.Does the NP3900 reply or not ?

Cheers !

tez
10-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Thank you for your recommendations, ive followed them without success!
It seems, that from time to time (e.g. after two hours) the NP3900 looses WiFi connection (without any know reason); but the problem is, that it never reconnects! When I power down it (completely, not only standby with clock display) it reconnects immediately, but it does not in running mode. Seems to be a software bug ...

Tias
10-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Hi again !

What you describe sounds to like a typical scenario when you have Auto-Channel activated in your router.
or, it could of course be some strange interference with some other microwave source, but not very likely. My MNP3900 is actually extremely stable when it comes to WiFi connection.
BTW, which Firmware do you have installed in your NP3900 ? Older FW versions had issues with the WiFi conetcion.

Cheers !

tez
10-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Hi!
Ive deactivated Auto-Channel after your post from 10-21 and configured a fixed channel, which is totally free (Ive checked with an Android app). So this cannot be the cause. I have installed the latest firmware Philips offers over the air; the NP3900 says that there is no newer firmware. Ive even resetted to factory defaults and reconfigured the NP3900.
Ill check the suspicion with the microwave; it is approx. 3 metres distance. But what stays is the probable bug within the firmware, that the NP3900 does not reconnect WiFi after a connection loss. Ill make some further tests. Do you know the best way to communicate this bug to Philips software development?

Tias
10-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Ok.
The microwave is probably not the cause anyway, just a theory.
Let's focus on your router/accesspoint :

First of all, make sure you have the latest Firmware (I believe it is version 1.0.2) installed in it. This has solved numerous similar problems over the years when a router is properly updated...
Try to disable "Packet-Overdrive". (It's not a 802.11-standard AFAIK.)
Send more info of your set-up, i.e. how is your AP-800 connected to Internet, do you use one or two WLAN's (SSID's) ? One or two LAN's ? Etc, etc.

Cheers !

tez
10-25-2011, 04:26 PM
Hi!
1. Ive installed the newest 1.0.3 since a few weeks.
2. Packet-Overdrive Tx Burst was activated per default; I deactivated it just now.
3. The VigorAP 800 is connected to a DrayTek Vigor2920; the 2920 is connected to the Internet (dual WAN, but fixed WAN for NP3900 configured) and has another WLAN SSID at another channel. Its signal is very low at the place, where the NP3900 is placed. The AP800 has only one WLAN SSID at a fixed channel with WPA+WPA2 PSK, 11b+11g+11n. WMM capable enabled (default), antenna 2T2R, Tx Power 100%, channel width auto 20/40 MHz. Reception of the AP800 is great at the place, where the NP3900 is placed. Only one LAN is configured in my network.

Lets see, whether disabling Packet-Overdrive/Tx Burst solves the problem.

kwinnie
10-26-2011, 05:37 AM
hi tez, i just wonder if you have solve your issue by disabling Packet-Overdrive/Tx Burst solves the problem?

tez
10-26-2011, 02:37 PM
No, since I disabled it yesterday, I had three times a connection loss without reconnection; I had to power down the NP3900.

Tias
11-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi !

Right, this is what I would do then to try to pinpoint what's wrong :

1: To ensure that the NP3900 doesn't have a H/W problem, try to connect it to some other WiFi router (friend, office, etc) and see if it works there. Preferably a more simple and straight-forward solution that you've got, i.e. just a WiFi router and a modem (or whatever needed) connected to Internet. in worst case, just a WiFi router and a PC acting as a DLNA/UPnP server to stream music could do too.

2: (Only if the test in #1 turns out ok) : Power off your VigorAP 800 and connect the NP3900 directly (well, Wireless of course9 to your DrayTek 2920. Older Streamium devices used to have problems with AP and/or WiFi range extender devices, and AFAIk, the newer (MCi/NP devices) should work better, but who knows ? ;) If this set up works, well, then the most probably cause of your drop-outs is the VigorAP 800.

Cheers !

tez
11-04-2011, 05:17 PM
With another Access Point (Linksys) the NP3900 works without problems; I checked this within the last days.
So you are right, the DrayTek AP800 is the cause.
But: No other WLAN device has problems with the AP800.
And: Even if the NP3900 drops the connection, it should be able to reconnect by itself; but it needs to power down the NP3900 and power it up again. This is a software bug! I contacted Philips support, perhaps they are able to locate the bug.

Blechtrottel
11-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Hi.
Does the router offer any power savings / wireless auto-level features ?
I had similar problems with my Fritz!Box. Then I turned off the Autopower WiFi-transmit feature and then it worked fine ...

tez
11-06-2011, 02:54 PM
I dont think that it has these features; within the management interface there was no option to configure things like these.