PDA

View Full Version : Philips 42PES0001D/10 off-color error, Panel broken?

Bobbie2011
10-31-2011, 02:08 PM
Hi togeher,
from one day to another my Philips 42PES0001D / 10 shows only false color. After that error I tried everything - firmware update, picture settings and so on - unfortunately, nothing was successful. Then i went to the dealer I trust; with one look he said: "broken panel - a total loss" -> unit is now around 2.5 years old - so warranty expired-> Repair 800 EUR ;(

I really do not understand this sudden death of a panel, also because no mechanical things have affected the unit, but unfortunately I have not the technical background to find other explanations...

I've been taken following video, where you can see these effects: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4Mtb_GOMoY

Maybe there are other theories on your part, explain the chromatic aberration/off-color error?

If you need further details, i'll try my best to provide them to you asap!

Cheers
Bobbie

Bobbie2011
11-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Any ideas - all possible explanations are welcome.

Also an estimation if this is could be a more or less serious problem...

Thanks a lot
Bobbie

Samsonite
11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi.

Looks like the LCD panel is defective, I think the so called TCON board.

With kind regards,

Samson.

Toengel
11-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi,

so only the board needs to be changed or also the whole panel?

Toengel@Alex

Bobbie2011
11-01-2011, 01:37 PM
Hi,
do you think it could be the Essence Cable? Philips Technical Support said there could be various reasons causing this failure, also the cabeling...

I've just scanned some websites of spare part dealers - price for this cable is around ridiculous 240 EUR (!)...

Bobbie

Bobbie2011
11-01-2011, 06:17 PM
or could it be the LVDS cable that's causing this failure?

_LN_
11-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Hi Bobbie,

I came across your question doing a Google search, and just registered here so I could reply.
Mine had EXACTLY the same problem! When cold, and just switched on, it would look OK for a few minutes, and then the picture would slowly fade into the same kind of psychedelic colors. With the TV still being under warranty, I contacted Philips, and they insisted on sending me a replacement cable first, although I was pretty sure the cable wasn't the problem.
When the problem persisted with the new cable, they arranged for the TV to be picked up for repair.
One month later (a week ago last Monday), I got it back, with a new panel - T420HW03V0 - which turns out to be manufactured by AU Optronics.
Anyway, the problem is fixed now, but unfortunately, the new panel appears to be of a lesser quality than the original one, since it suffers from some backlight bleeding in the center, and on the right hand side, especially the lower corner. So, I'll have to get back to the repair company or to Philips about that.

BTW, I don't know if it's just a Dutch thing, or valid in other EU countries as well, but over here, even after your 2 year warranty is up, you should only have to pay for part of the repair, depending on how old your TV is, relative to the reasonably to be expected life span for it...

Hope this helps,

Ellen

_LN_
11-01-2011, 11:24 PM
P.S. Here's a photo of what mine looked like...

Bobbie2011
11-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Hey Ellen,
thanks for your reply.

Yes, this is exactly the same problem, the only difference is, that my tv don't shows "normal" picture anymore - even not when it's cold...

I already got an offer from Philips for a new TV ... and i already got this new one.

Nonetheless i wanted to try to get the old one running again, but as it now seems that it's the panel causing this failure i don'tthink it makes sense from an economic point of view!

Anyway, thanks a lot. Now i can sleep well again. ;)

Cheers
Bobbie

_LN_
11-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Hi, Bobbie,

glad I could help, and pleasant dreams! ;)

BTW, I just called the repair center, and they promised to look into the backlight bleeding problem. I also informed Philips about this, since my 2 year warranty runs out in about 3 weeks...
Both companies were very understanding.

Ellen

tetzas
11-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Hi,
I own the same tv and 2,5 years after I bougth it I have a similar problem.
Suddenly, the tv started to randomly show black squares and flickering at the same time.
The service told me that they have to replace the panel with a new one.

Can anyone tell me if the new panel comes with a warranty and for how long ?

Thx

bennikenner
06-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Hello everybody,

i have exactly the same problem on my Philips essence. The TV is now nearly 3 years old and therefore no warranty left.
Does anybody have experiences how Philips handles TVs out of warranty regarding this problem. I would expect an company like Philips to replace bad panels even if the warranty is out dated.

nigelb
06-25-2012, 12:51 PM
There is a theme developing here. My TV is three years old and the panel is also showing the same fault as described above.
Looks to me as though there is a common problem.

nigelb
06-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Hi
Me too, TV 3 years old panel on the blink

Jeroen87
06-29-2012, 10:58 AM
What happens if you set the color saturation to 0, i.e. make a black-and-white picture ?
The Essence has an external box for the signal processing, and a thin panel-only, right ? Could the cable between the 2 parts be damaged ?

nigelb
07-02-2012, 08:51 AM
What happens if you set the color saturation to 0, i.e. make a black-and-white picture ?
The Essence has an external box for the signal processing, and a thin panel-only, right ? Could the cable between the 2 parts be damaged ?

Have taken set to TV repair firm. They suspect the TCON board, but are having to go to Honk Kong to obtain replacement components. They have made no promises so we will see how it pans out and the overall cost.

Summer
07-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Have taken set to TV repair firm. They suspect the TCON board, but are having to go to Honk Kong to obtain replacement components. They have made no promises so we will see how it pans out and the overall cost.

Hi, can I have some news? I have the same problem after 2,6 years so out of warranty. It seems that all 42pes0001d has the same problem. Here in Italy Tv support said that seems to be video board (tcon?) but it is very difficult to find out.
Someone that fixed problem can help me?
Thank you

Krumm
07-29-2012, 04:23 PM
...three years. Does this model have a built-in self-destruction timer?

Funnily, when the colour problem first occurred I brought the TV to a local TV repair that called me after three days and told me that the picture was fine from the moment they switched the TV on. I collected the TV and hang it back to the wall. After three weeks the TV began to flash and flicker.

The TV is currently with the TV repair again. Has anyone found a solution yet or heard from Philips? I guess/hope they are following the forum...

ANZE
07-29-2012, 08:42 PM
The same is true for my TV (probably all the 42PE0001D/10 show this defects, according to the large amount of complaints found in the internet). After about 3 years (TV is seldomly on), the panel shows defect colors.

I read in a German post about the defective Philipp's TVs that one panel is defect. There it is posted that an electronic part "AS-15F" which is a 48pin SMD IC, and which could be purchased via Ebay from HK. Depending on one's skill the poster of the German post said, it could be easily replaced - if you know how to do so. It seems that the cost for reparation in Germany is about 500 Euro.

I am very dissapointed about the quality of the Philipp's product, particularly as the TV was in the higher price range and you would expect a longer life time as just shortly after the end of the warranty (which is really nasty!).

Krumm
08-02-2012, 12:25 PM
At least this souds somewhat promising. Can you post the German link and the instruction/poster, please? I am German and will hopefully understand it.

Best
Stefan

@Philips: If one of you guys is following this forum - a statement or an indication of help woud be appreciated by all of us here who paid more than 2k for the TV a few years ago. I thought about buying a Philips TV again, but as after sales/CRM seems poor, I will probably not...

ANZE
08-21-2012, 07:57 PM
At least this souds somewhat promising. Can you post the German link and the instruction/poster, please? I am German and will hopefully understand it.

Best
Stefan

@Philips: If one of you guys is following this forum - a statement or an indication of help woud be appreciated by all of us here who paid more than 2k for the TV a few years ago. I thought about buying a Philips TV again, but as after sales/CRM seems poor, I will probably not...
-------------------------------------------------
Stefan,
I was on vacation- the reason for the delayed answer.

The link to the German website is: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-152-9043.html
Look at the post dated July 26, 2012;

alternatively just google "42PES" and "Fehlfarben" and you will find the post on the "hifi-forum.de" website.

I will now going to order the circuit chip and request at a shop the replacing of this part in the TV (the spare part itself is quite cheap, so I don't care if the solution doesn't work- hope that the service is not that expensive). Will see. Keep all of you posted about the result. Might take a few weeks, though.

@Philipps: I am also very dissapointed about the quality of the electronic parts Philipp put into its electronic appliances and that that there is no qualified response from Philipp's end how to tackle the problem. Customer support is hiding and I wonder why this forum is set up? Maybe to assist the consumers finding a solution for replacing bad quality electronic parts.

It is obvious that the collapsing of the chip or whatever this is, is an intrinsiv problem of this specific TV. So, you can imagine that my next product will not be a product from Philipps.

Keep you posted anze

Summer
08-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Thank you Anze. I solved changing AS-15F smd on tcon board. 5 minutes at all. I ordered it from eBay in hk for about 10$ . Now is working as new. Friend that made work is suggesting to put 2 big fun on the rear panel. I will make this work and a full report and I will post here.

Krumm
09-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks for letting me know. I have asked the local TV repair here in East London. They told me that they are not able to fit the chip as it is a very fragile one where you need special tools for.

Thus, I gave up. I have just ordered a SAMSUNG TV (@Philips -> yes, a Samsung, because I didn't here anything from you) and I will sell my Philips on ebay.

Bye bye, Philips. You have lost a customer...

Summer
09-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Hi, i wrote some weeks ago a reply but was never published. I try again.
I bought from ebay seller in hong kong an "AS15-F" smd and i changed it on Tcon board and now TV is working again perfectly. I want to thanks Anze for finding this solution on web and it make me save a lot of money and time. Replace smd is very easy for a professionist, 5 minute to change test and close the monitor. That's all.
My friend that made sdm work suggest me to make a mod on the back of the monitor mounting two big fan for keep out heat and now my panel is a little bit cold.
I don't know if this mod is the reason why my last reply was not published and so i ask to moderator of this forum if it was the problem and let me know. If not i will publish some image of the work.

Summer
09-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks for letting me know. I have asked the local TV repair here in East London. They told me that they are not able to fit the chip as it is a very fragile one where you need special tools for.

Thus, I gave up. I have just ordered a SAMSUNG TV (@Philips -> yes, a Samsung, because I didn't here anything from you) and I will sell my Philips on ebay.

Bye bye, Philips. You have lost a customer...

I was there when my friend made work and he use a simple welder, not a special tool for sure they have to know how make this work but i think it is not so difficult. To be sure i ordered 3 as15f smd for about 4$.

ANZE
11-08-2012, 09:08 PM
I promised an update on the TV repair.
It was quite a hazzle to find someone who is able to replace a chip on the platine, but I finally found one who did a great job!
Now the TV is working again. My expert was saying that the cooling body which is attached ontop of the chip is too small (which might be the reason for the early break down of the chip) and he replaced the one originally present with a bigger cooling body.

I was removing the platine from the TV and mailed it to my expert. Was very simple for all of us.

Bim
12-03-2012, 09:17 AM
Just wanted to mention that I'm currently having the same problem with my 42PES0001D which I bought in January 2009. Same color problems. The tv was sent to the service center, but they want to charge 300 Euro for the repair, since they want to replace the complete display (to which I disagree looking at all the info about the AS15F chip).

Since it is a common issue with the model, it seems to be a construction error which makes things worse.
I hope my supplier will come up with a satisfactory solution.

Good thing we in Holland have got the "conformiteitsvereiste" and "recht op een deugdelijjk product", which means that if a product does not live up to what may be expected of it, you've got the right on repair, a replacement, or undo the sales contract. That goes beyond the standard two year guarantee, since you may expect a tv (bought for 2.250 euro) function for more than 3.5 years.