PDA

View Full Version : Flash Application for Browsing Youtube etc in HD-quality

chnow
11-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Hello,

I own a 46PFL9705 LCD TV (year 2010) and a 7600 Blue Ray Player (year 2011) and would like to use online-content in HD-quality.

Since we are mostly watching online live stream on our Mac we would like to watch these streams on our TV as well. Unfortunately, while offering youtube and other services via net-tv, it is not yet possible to access regular sites via the Opera browser on the Tv/blue-ray.player.

The thing is: if you own an expensive Full-HD-TV it is not very pleasing to watch videos and online content via the net-tv apps that only offer poor resolutions.

My question: will Philips, like Samsung and other competitors, invest and start including a Flash-Player, in the software so that regular live.streaming can be accessed via Philips equipment (without connecting to a PC)?
Furthermore, will Media Connect become available for Apple Mac users?

Thanks in advance,
Christian

smart
11-09-2011, 08:35 AM
Hello,

this has been discussed many times in the forum just use the search. The statement from Philips side was always that flash will not been supported.

I do not understand why you request flash? You are saying, you want to watch contect in HD quality. Why don't you request youtube in HD? This would satisfy all your needs described in the post. You requested a dedicated technology.

HD content is not a thing which can only achieved by using flash. Please see also vimeo app. vimeo is basically the same as youtube, but high resolution HD content and nice UI. But it is realized without flash.

My personal opinion is, that flash is a deprecated technology and it's support will also end. It also has many disadvantages compated to modern html5.

Please see also the latest news regarding flash:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/09/adobe-reportedly-will-announce-the-end-of-flash-player-for-mobil/

Greets

chnow
11-10-2011, 07:18 PM
Hello smart!

Thanks for your prompt and comprehensive reply! Yes, indeed I did not consider alternative website to watch videos in HD quality - thanks for your hint!

We watch a lot of live-streaming of Swedish TV channels, like svtplay.se, which support flash only. That is the reason why I asked for a flash add on. As stated on the Swedish televisions homepage, they only support flash as of now, but that might change in the near future, we will see.

Still, if you have any idea how to stream these programs on the tv, without connecting a pc, it would be very grateful if you shared it with me!

Best regards,
Christian

Toengel
11-11-2011, 06:43 AM
Hi,

maybe these channels will offer a HBBTV version in the future. Try to ask them...

Toengel@Alex

chnow
11-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Hi Toengel@Alex,

I will do that! Thanks!
Greets,
Christain

johngill
11-29-2011, 07:01 PM
Firefox is an extremely versatile browser, thanks to its Addons. It enables you to do almost anything you need within the browser. One of things that most users would like to do is to download and save videos on their local hard drive from online video sharing sites.

Thousands of videos get uploaded to video sites like YouTube, Vimeo, Megavideo and others. There are a number of addons to download videos from these websites, so that you could watch them even when you are offline.

http://www.flashapplicationdevelopment.co.uk/

Vic Vega
12-14-2011, 02:37 PM
I do not understand why you request flash?

Because a lot of streaming services (justin.tv for example) use it.

smart
12-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Because a lot of streaming services (justin.tv for example) use it.

When they use it, did they also think of the people using a remote to use their Flash application? Is their flash application able to support keypad usage?

Try to open their webpage and try to use it with the keypad ...

Even if the TV would support flash, the flash app on the webpage you want to use has to support usage with keys. Most of the flash applications are requiring a mouse.

smart
12-14-2011, 05:04 PM
See also the link above:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/09/adobe-reportedly-will-announce-the-end-of-flash-player-for-mobil/

Even adobe discontinues support of flash on TVs.

Who will support it, who will provide security updates?

Vic Vega
12-14-2011, 07:28 PM
When they use it, did they also think of the people using a remote to use their Flash application? Is their flash application able to support keypad usage?

Try to open their webpage and try to use it with the keypad ...

For video playback, there is no need for keys or mouse. Live streaming starts automatically when tthe page are loaded.

Even if the TV would support flash, the flash app on the webpage you want to use has to support usage with keys. Most of the flash applications are requiring a mouse.

Well... then it's my problem. The main thing is that this is a simple solution that will work (no problem with mouse or keyboard for me). Without flash nothing will work. I understand that flash sucks. But reality is... a lot of web sites uselsess without them. So we need working solution.

Vic Vega
12-14-2011, 07:35 PM
See also the link above:

Even adobe discontinues support of flash on TVs.

Who will support it, who will provide security updates?

They abandoned future development but current version will work for years.

I don't get it. My cheap android smartphone support all web specs including flash like huge PCs does, but expensive TV (which was declared as internet-device) can't. There is no excuse for that.

klkvgupta
12-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi,

I also agree with you. Lack of flash support sucks. I had to buy a tablet and connect with my telivision because of that.

The salesman told me that Philips has full browser support but it lacked Flash support because of which I have never used philips browser.