PDA

View Full Version : 24p on 46PFL9706

cbratschi
11-08-2011, 10:34 PM
Hello,

I tried to enable 24p playback on the Panasonic DMP-BDT310EG Blu-ray player but the TV reports it is not receiving any signal. I disabled the video processor on my Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver and directly connected the Blu-ray player but this did not improve anything.

On a WDTV device I have the same issue. WDTV converts everything to 60p.

Interesting is that all 3D content is using 24p and it plays smoothly. For instance the 2D version of On Stranger Tides is played in 60p whereas the 3D versions is 24p. The hiccups in the 60p signal are obvious.

How can I play 24p content without getting the 3:2 pulldown artefacts?

petasis
11-09-2011, 06:00 AM
The WD has an option for 24 Hz. Does it work if set to 24 Hz;

cbratschi
11-09-2011, 11:51 AM
The WD has an option for 24 Hz. Does it work if set to 24 Hz;

I changed the setting to use the original frame rate but the output is always 60 Hz.

petasis
11-10-2011, 06:47 AM
How do you measure the output? (The TV does not report it I think)
If you connect the WD to the TV directly, set to 24 Hz, and watch a movie, don't you see the 24p judder on the TV? (You have to close DNM of course).

cbratschi
11-16-2011, 10:11 PM
How do you measure the output? (The TV does not report it I think)
If you connect the WD to the TV directly, set to 24 Hz, and watch a movie, don't you see the 24p judder on the TV? (You have to close DNM of course).

All image optimizers are disabled to get the raw picture without any artefacts. I am using several reference videos encoded in both 24p formats. I can see the difference and if I connect WDTV to my Onkyo receiver it displays the video format.

My Blu-ray collection has the highest priority. It has to work with my whole setup; the HD audio formats are great, now I want to get the best possible video quality as well. On WDTV I am mostly watching 720p60 content.

Has anyone else the same issues?

dante
12-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Hello,

I tried to enable 24p playback on the Panasonic DMP-BDT310EG Blu-ray player but the TV reports it is not receiving any signal. I disabled the video processor on my Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver and directly connected the Blu-ray player but this did not improve anything.

On a WDTV device I have the same issue. WDTV converts everything to 60p.

Interesting is that all 3D content is using 24p and it plays smoothly. For instance the 2D version of On Stranger Tides is played in 60p whereas the 3D versions is 24p. The hiccups in the 60p signal are obvious.

How can I play 24p content without getting the 3:2 pulldown artefacts?

Hello!

I got the same set as you, same TV with Onkyo TX-NR609 but I'm using PS3 as a Blu-Ray player and the problems is I cannot get the 1080p/24 signal to work. The TV doesn't recognize the signal. I'm just wondering is it the receiver or the TV which is not workin with each other. Have you manage to get the signal working, in normal 2D picture? And if yes, what are the settings?

dante
12-03-2011, 07:02 AM
Hello!

I got the same set as you, same TV with Onkyo TX-NR609 but I'm using PS3 as a Blu-Ray player and the problems is I cannot get the 1080p/24 signal to work. The TV doesn't recognize the signal. I'm just wondering is it the receiver or the TV which is not workin with each other. Have you manage to get the signal working, in normal 2D picture? And if yes, what are the settings?

Replying to my self: problem solved! Turning off "Deep Color Output" from PS3 picture settings solved the problem

cbratschi
12-04-2011, 09:53 AM
My problems are still open: 24p does not work with my Panasonic Blu-ray player. As soon as 24p is activated, the TV displays no signal anymore.

cbratschi
12-04-2011, 10:03 AM
Update: After turning off deep colors 24p works fine! The 9706 seems to have problems with this setting.

dante
12-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Update: After turning off deep colors 24p works fine! The 9706 seems to have problems with this setting.

Nice to hear you got your problem solved too :)

I think the problem is the Onkyo reveiver not the TV. Maybe the receiver's build in video processor somehow conflicts with the Blu-Ray player's video processing.

cbratschi
12-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Nice to hear you got your problem solved too :)

I think the problem is the Onkyo reveiver not the TV. Maybe the receiver's build in video processor somehow conflicts with the Blu-Ray player's video processing.

I tried both: disabling Onkyo's video chip and directly connecting the Panasonic BDP to the TV but the issue was still reproducible. Therefore the TV could be the root cause of this issue.

Anyway, it would be great if someone from Philips could analyze this issue. Many people have a similar setup and will run into the same problems.