PDA

View Full Version : Muse freezes when transferring files

Radtech
11-14-2011, 10:46 PM
Hello there, my first time in this place so I hope to be as clear as posible. So I have the sa3mus16s and Ive been having some trouble with file transfers. Each time I try to transfer more than one file at once, the muse freezes and I must disconnect it in order to continue tranferring files into it. Recently I update the FW to 1.38 as explained on this forum and I was hoping to see any improvement on this matter. That's all, any advice is welcome.

Radtech.

kwinnie
11-15-2011, 08:27 AM
you are transferring files through songbird?
see if you are using the latest songbird as well: http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/s/sa3mus16s_02/sa3mus16s_02_psb_eng.zip
should be version 2.5.4

to me transferring multi-files is common user behaviour i suppose. and it shouldnt be a prob.
if that keeps on to be a prob, a workaround is that you try to do it through window explorer ... so it's like drag and drop files into a USB stick

Philips - Gary
11-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi Radtech,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a problem with file transfers, this shouldn't be happening.

Kwinnie's advice is very good so I would recommend starting with this as it should help.

If you still experience the same issue with both the latest version of Songbird and the drag-and-drop method then please come back to us.

Kind regards,

Gary

Radtech
11-15-2011, 03:01 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Let me tell you that it doesn't happened all the time, it's a random event. At first I thought there was a problem with my USB ports, so I tried updating drivers but I didn't see any changes. The weird thing is that when I try using drag and drop method, windows tells me that it cannot be done, so that's why I'm still trying with songbird. I'll let you know if there is any improvement on this matter.

Windows 7 Professional
Philips Songbird 2.5.4
Philips GoGear Muse SA3MUS16S
FW 1.38 installed yesterday.

Philips - Gary
11-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Hi Radtech,

It's very strange that you can't add files using the drag & drop method. Do you know whether the device is in MSC or MTP mode?

MTP is recommended when syncing in Songbird but perhaps changing to MSC will help with the drag & drop issues as this is a mass storage mode. Here are the steps to switch between the two:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=GB&mid=Link_FAQs&view=aa12_view_partial.html&session=20111115104013_85.90.232.145&list=aa12_list_partial.html&slg=ENG&ctn=SA3MUS16S/02&dct=FAQ&refnr=0088455&faqview=1

You have mentioned that the Muse freezes when transferring but does the Songbird software also freeze or is the issue isolated to the player only?

Also, what syncing option are you using; manual or auto?

Regards,

Gary

Radtech
11-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Thanks for your concern Gary. Right now my player is set in MTP mode, although I already tried setting it in MSC for the drag and drop method and I got the same transfer problem. Everytime the player freezes, seems to be that songbird keeps functioning. I have always used the manual sync option because of the size of my music library (too many files for 16Gb of storage).

Regards,

Felipe.

kwinnie
11-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Hi Felipe,

What are the error message about when you tried Drag & Drop? If you have more information like screenshot, it's easier for us to give suggestions :)

What I think may be, through Songbird to transfer the files, the files are automatically converted to those formats your Muse supports. If using drag & drop, those files may not be converted, hence the files transferred to your Muse cannot be played...

kwinnie
11-16-2011, 01:42 AM
there s also another possibility (I speculate)...
It's because lack of memory in your Muse, so that when it handles big task (huge size multi-files transferred) , it can be a bit sluggish
say for example you have 2Mb left and you are transferring 1.5 Mb songs to it via Songbird, it's lack of memory for it to process this, so that it can hang up quite easily...

So if you have 2Mb left, try transferring 0.5 Mb by 0.5 Mb per transfer .... So that it can have more memory to process the transfer...

so in short, still try multi-files transfer, but just not in a huge/large patch

Radtech
11-16-2011, 01:53 AM
Hey kwinnie, I'm too lazy to get a screenshot of the error =p. However, I should tell you that as far as I know my songbird is set to transfer files without converting them. All my music library is on wma format (160-320 kbps), so that windows doesn't have to convert each time I try to use drag and drop mode. On top of that, I'm pretty sure that the point of using MTP mode is that you don't have to bother asking yourself whether the file is going to be played on the device or not... Everytime you transfer a file through MTP mode, windows automatically starts adjusting the file before its transferred to the device; that's why I'm guessing is more of a codec problem than anything else.

Thanks for the reply.

Radtech
11-16-2011, 02:05 AM
Hm... That is a good theory, but It's not the problem; this happens even when theres plenty of memory left, that is to say, 15.1Gb of free storage capacity.

kwinnie
11-16-2011, 02:11 AM
I see. thanks for further explaining. that's what i think too- the codec, just excuse my english, not having explained it clearly to you
do you have some software to get the media info? like mediainfo: mediainfo.sourceforge.net? and then you can see if that matches the codec here:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?scy=GB&mid=Link_FAQs&view=aa12_view_partial.html&session=20111115210926_161.92.51.225&list=aa12_list_partial.html&slg=ENG&ctn=SA3MUS16S/02&dct=FAQ&refnr=0089357&faqview=1

but it seems to me that... your file codec is supported

Radtech
11-16-2011, 02:25 AM
Ok, I have checked the device specs and wma is supported. I'm running out of ideas =(
I used to own the older version of the muse (SA2MUS16S) and I could use the drag and drop method without trouble.

And don't worry about your language skills, because mine are not good enough I should say.

kwinnie
11-16-2011, 02:29 AM
let me confirm:
1) is ok to transfer a single file via drag and drop and not ok* to transfer multi files?
2) is ok to transfer a single file via songbird and not ok* to transfer multi files?

*not ok means > it freezes from time to time

Radtech
11-16-2011, 02:36 AM
You are right, but this happens only sometimes, apparently in a random way. The files that are transferred to the device are completely functional.

Philips - Gary
11-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Hi Radtech,

Thanks to you & kwinnie for all of the extra information.

This is a bit strange so we are now looking into this further to determine what the causes of the issue might be, thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Gary

Radtech
11-17-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Gary,

I tried reinstalling the firmware, just in case there was a problem during the update process. I noticed that upon finishing the update, my device says that the firmware version is now 1.46 and not 1.38... Do you have any release notes about this "new" FW, or is it just the old 1.38 with minor improvements?

Thank you.

PD= I know this is not the right place to post this question, but since it has to do with the stability of the SA3MUS series I had no choice.

Radtech
11-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Ok... About an hour ago I was trying (yep, once again) to transfer some music files (about 15 or 20) to the device and it failed. I opnened the error console and here is what it says:

Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [sbIDeviceFirmwareHandler.recoveryMode]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Philips/Philips%20Songbird/components/sbDeviceFirmwareAutoCheckForUpdate.js :: sbDeviceFirmwareAutoCheckForUpdate_onDeviceEvent :: line 279" data: no]
Source File: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Philips/Philips%20Songbird/components/sbDeviceFirmwareAutoCheckForUpdate.js
Line: 279

And....

Error: Transfer to device failed - Error Code=-2147024865

Hope that this "new" info will shed any light in the source of the problem.

Philips - Andrea
11-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Dear Radtech,

I have sent you some more information if you could please check your inbox!

Many thanks,

Andrea

Radtech
11-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Greetings Philips Team,

Finally I have managed to solve the transfer problem. Apparently there was a problem with the driver that songbird installs; I deleted songbird, every driver related to philips muse and then I connected the device, so that windows could install its own driver. Now I'm able to drag n drop files using both modes (MSC and MTP) without any trouble.

Many thanks for your support and I hope that this info will help to improve the built in driver that songbird manages.

Regards,

Radtech.

Philips - Gary
11-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi Radtech,

I'm glad to hear that you've had success in resolving the file transfer issue.

I would like to thank you for your feedback on this point as it will help us in future cases, I will pass this information to our development teams who are investigating the issues reported.

Kind regards,

Gary

Philips - Andrea
01-05-2012, 09:13 AM
Hi all,

I would like to reassure you that we are looking into the issue and are working on new firmware to improve this.

We will update you when we have further information. Thank you for your assistance and patience in advance.

Kind regards,

Philips Moderation Team

Radtech
01-24-2012, 09:07 PM
Hey Philips Team, I was just wondering if there are any news on that firmware update that you are working on. Please try to fix the comm problem on Windows 7 Pro Edition also, so we can transfer files using the drag n' drop method.

Thanks you all!