PDA

View Full Version : 46pfl9706

ericscheepers
11-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Dear reader,

since the 5th of October I'm the "proud" owner of the of the year 2011/2012, but there is a problem.
At this moment my TV is at the repair center of Philips (Technorep) with the following complaint:

When watching TV and there are big areas with the same colour (for example soccer) en the camera moving from left to right and visa versa you see from top till buttom lanes from about 2 cm. It look if the leds don't light up enough. It's less noticable when camera moves up and down or visa versa.

At the repair center the complaint is noticed and my TV is compaired with the same one. But this one had the same problem. According to the repair center it is not possible to repair this at this moment. It's a software issue.

A nice woman from Philips headquarters called me to say that at this moment I'm the only one that complaint about this (but she agreed that is was a problem) and therefor it could take sometime before a software update would be written. The more people complain about the same problem the faster a software update would be written.

Therefor I'm ofcourse looking for people with the same problem and start complaining to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Eric Scheepers.
==========

Philips - Thomas
11-17-2011, 05:06 PM
Hi

This Forum is in English Language only!
Please write your Post in English again, using the "Edit Post" Buttons.

Regards
Thomas

ericscheepers
11-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi Thomas,

OK, sorry for that.
It's done.

Kind regards
Eric Scheepers.
==========

petasis
11-18-2011, 03:12 PM
These stripes exist to some degree also in 9705. I don't think they can be fixed.
You can see them in horizontal pannings in colors like green or sky blue.

ericscheepers
11-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Hello Petasis,

thanks for your reply.
I hope you're wrong and they can fix it.
In my case it is realy to a high degree visible.

petasis
11-18-2011, 09:41 PM
I also hope they fix it. In my 9705 it is also there, but I don't notice it frequently (or perhaps I have come accustomed to it).

Freddy
11-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Hi Eric,

well... there are a number of different kinds of banding (as this is called). The problem can be:

1. in the source, the transmission, the video itself;
2. caused by a bug which, in this case, can be "solved" by disabling "MPEG Artefact Reduction";
3. in the panel which, of course, can only be solved by trying a new panel or;
4. in the backlight which, unfortunately again, can only be solved, if at all, by an exchange.

At first, you could try number 2, as it is the easiest to check. But I'm afraid your problem is number 4. This is the most serious one and can be checked, to see if this is it, by disabling "Dynamic Backlight". If that solves your problem, or at least makes it a lot less apparent, then you now know what to do...

dante
12-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Dear reader,

since the 5th of October I'm the "proud" owner of the of the year 2011/2012, but there is a problem.
At this moment my TV is at the repair center of Philips (Technorep) with the following complaint:

When watching TV and there are big areas with the same colour (for example soccer) en the camera moving from left to right and visa versa you see from top till buttom lanes from about 2 cm. It look if the leds don't light up enough. It's less noticable when camera moves up and down or visa versa.

At the repair center the complaint is noticed and my TV is compaired with the same one. But this one had the same problem. According to the repair center it is not possible to repair this at this moment. It's a software issue.

A nice woman from Philips headquarters called me to say that at this moment I'm the only one that complaint about this (but she agreed that is was a problem) and therefor it could take sometime before a software update would be written. The more people complain about the same problem the faster a software update would be written.

Therefor I'm ofcourse looking for people with the same problem and start complaining to solve this problem as soon as possible.

Kind regards,
Eric Scheepers.
==========
I've noticed the same problem with my set but I haven't noticed the problem anymore with the latest 91-firmware. Maybe they manage to fix it :)

zlatko
12-24-2011, 12:29 PM
@ericscheepers
Since a week I have 52PFL9606 model(LCD panel code 301). It has exactly the same problem - on big homogenous light colored areas when picture is panning one can see irregular vertical stripes of different shade. They don't move with the picture, but stay as if the screen is "dirty" or the LEDs under are not same brightness.
I have to agree it is mostly barely noticeable, but I see it especially when watching skiing events(big chunks of white snow).
Problem is that if it is not the LEDs(which might be SW correctable) then the LCD panels themselves must be faulty. Let me know how can I contact Philips directly to get something going? I don't want to bring this 52" TV set to service centre, just to get the answer that all TVs has it and it must be fixed in FW.

@Freddy
I know what color banding is, but that issue is just NOT it. What we see is vertical stripes inhomogeneity in screen's panel or LEDs intensity.

dante
I am on .93 - issue still present.

I am curious about Philips reaction to this. As I said - problemis hard to notice, but THESE ARE TV sets that COSTS OVER 2000 euro, so they shall be free of such even slight problems in HW.

nuri58
01-16-2012, 02:11 PM
@ericscheepers
@Freddy
I know what color banding is, but that issue is just NOT it. What we see is vertical stripes inhomogeneity in screen's panel or LEDs intensity.

I am curious about Philips reaction to this. As I said - problemis hard to notice, but THESE ARE TV sets that COSTS OVER 2000 euro, so they shall be free of such even slight problems in HW.
I am puzzled about the exact same width of the stripes every other stripe with the same intensity.

Night Prowler
01-24-2012, 07:08 PM
I saw the same problem in a tv-store in Sweden. If you turn off the Dynamic Backlighting is the problem still there? And how is clouding when Dynamic Backlighting is off?

And I wonder if the 46PFL8606 have the same problem as this tv?

zlatko
01-29-2012, 06:48 PM
@Night Prowler
The problem is always there, no matter what enhancements you turn OFF/ON, no matter what settings you use. I can not notice clouding when dynamic backlight is OFF, screen is pretty uniform.
I do not think 8606 has the same issue, cause it uses different type of display/backlight. But who knows? You better check yourself.

Jvdv23
01-31-2012, 07:40 PM
I have the same problems of vertical banding with my 9706 tv mainly with moving camera and large surface with the same colour like a football field or blue sky.

Very dissapointing. I have mentioned the problem to Philips Service. If this cannot be solved I want to return the TV.

bmandersen
01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
If this cannot be solved I want to return the TV.

If you find this problem very annoying and have the opportunity to return the TV, you should probably do that. I cant see any sign that this will be solved.

This problem has been present on the 2010 model 9705 since its launch, and evidently is a problem on the 9706 as well. By launching a new model with the same problem Philips shows that they dont take this deterioration of video quality very serious.

I have never seen any change of the vertical bands characteristics after a software upgrade on my 46pfl9705, so I dont think it will be fixed in any software. This is supported by a sense that Philips seems to avoid comment on this problem. They are probably aware of the problem, but know that they wont do anything about it.

nuri58
02-24-2012, 09:12 PM
With all backlit/contrast enhancements disabled I cannot see clouding or other problems in static pictures. But on moving images banding is there without doubt/discussion. Hence I'd think it's a SW issue which may may not be easy to solve (like ink jet printers in the old days). This does not exclude that some panels may suffer from an uneven light emissions from the backlight diodes, but even that could perhaps be calibrated to a certain extent, which would possible be more expensive than changing the entire panel.

Teddy63
03-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Good evening,
I have the same problems of vertical strips at fast image on a light background or color uniform (football matches, rugby, skiing ...).
I contacted the technical department of Philips, which tells me that this is not a problem, just that I do not settle my TV!
I expect a response engineers next Tuesday ... if no solution is brought to me, the TV in its carton and return to the store!
I am convinced that Philips is aware of the problem but can not find a suitable solution ...
A firmware update will solve the problem can be ... but here I would have changed the model and maybe even (probably) brand!

zlatko
03-07-2012, 09:52 AM
@Philips
Hello? Anybody here? Why Philips officials are constantly ignoring this questions about DSE?! This is really ridiculous!

Teddy63
03-07-2012, 07:08 PM
A technician will come tomorrow to change the slab ( ?!) of my screen ...

I hope this will solve the problem of DSE and vertical banding ....

Else i will change my TV and buy another brand .... !

see you tomorrow ...

zlatko
03-07-2012, 07:40 PM
@Teddy63
Good! Let us know if this repair will make it better. I still think most panels fitted in 9706 adn 52" 9606 are having the DSE issue.

zlatko
03-12-2012, 01:18 PM
Still no word from Teddy63 about his exchange, but I will update the community about my findings.
Today I visited local Philips repair service where they have 9706 with DSE. There was e-mail exchange between repair service and Philips, it mentioned "undergoing investigation on banding issues on 9706 Sharp panels". So there is something going on, but how it will be resolved - we have yet to see.
Still no such investigation on 52" sharp panels in 9606.

Teddy63
03-14-2012, 09:46 AM
I still have not received my TV ... according to the technician, the exchange of panel would have solved the problem ... I expect to see by myself and come back here to give you information.

Mocas
04-05-2012, 12:56 PM
Any news on this subject?

I really want to get this set (46pfl9706) but this DSE problem is preventing me to take the plunge.

zlatko
04-05-2012, 01:50 PM
@Mocas
Still Philips is tucking its head in the sand, not even investigating the issue, what to speak about finding acceptable solution for current owners. As far as I know they have enough data that DSE problem widely affects 9706.
My advice for you will be to wait until this time next year for 9xx7 models to be tested in the field with real reports from owners, not only marketing gloss then take the plunge.
There 2 direct LED models on market now - Philips 9x06 and Sony HX920. Both sets have issues with panels. But at least SONY acknowledged it and is investigating.

Mocas
04-05-2012, 02:21 PM
@Mocas
Still Philips is tucking its head in the send, not even investigating the issue, what to speak about finding acceptable solution for current owners. As far as I know they have enough data that DSE problem widely affects 9706.
My advice for you will be to wait until this time next year for 9xx7 models to be tested in the field with real reports from owners, not only marketing gloss then take the plunge.
There 2 direct LED models on market now - Philips 9x06 and Sony HX920. Both sets have issues with panels. But at least SONY acknowledged it and is investigating.

I currently have a 32pfl9603 that I bought in 2009 and the only reason I'm buying a new model this year is because I have an opportunity to sell it (wanting a larger set helps too), but I have time constraints. I have some nitpicks with plasmas but I guess that will eventually be the way to go as all top local dimming led lcds have problems that "professional" reviews never mention... it's frustrating

sorry for the rant

zlatko
04-05-2012, 02:44 PM
@Mocas
Bigger screen is a lot BETTER! And I mean A LOT! For watching HD of course, but who wants to watch something else these days anyway? :)
To be honest DSE is nearly unnoticeable in normal content(movies, news, documentaries etc.) but easily noticeable in alpine skiing and football games. I can live with it, but I can NEVER live with plasma flickering screens and not so sharp images on HD. Although plasma screen do have certain advantages as well. So think twice before buying a plasma.
Problem with top of the line local LED TVs is that when I am paying that much I want near perfection for the money. I understand the limitation of the technology(like blooming of direct LEDs) and I don't mind - I have made an educated choice there. But having manufacturing defect like DSE in your 2.500 euro TV set is not something that customer should accept. If Philips wants to be regarded as a reputable manufacturer it have to admit the issue and offer a solution - should it be replacement with 2012 top-model, all refund or something. To be honest - if PHILIPS offers my refund I will NOT take it - I will just keep my TV because it is otherwise SUPERB PQ!, but I will have trust in Philips that they are not letting their premium customer down and they stand behind their products. That is coming from 9732 and 9603 owner, currently having 9606.

petasis
04-06-2012, 05:16 PM
I currently have a 32pfl9603 that I bought in 2009 and the only reason I'm buying a new model this year is because I have an opportunity to sell it (wanting a larger set helps too), but I have time constraints. I have some nitpicks with plasmas but I guess that will eventually be the way to go as all top local dimming led lcds have problems that "professional" reviews never mention... it's frustrating

sorry for the rant

Well all reviewers "forget" to mention things. The problem with plasmas is their durability. You may get a good image for about 1500 hours, and then see effects like black levels rising...
So the option is an LCD with panel uniformity issues, or plasma that gets slightly worse over time. Tough choice actually...

bugmenot
04-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Does anyone else see extremely irregular patterns (about width of a finger) when watching from a small angle with TV on or almost any angle with TV off and with a bright light? It was so odd that the tech that came to change the motherboard asked me if I still had a protective plastic on the screen.

The patterns stop before 5cm or so from the left and right edges.

RonianAT
04-17-2012, 08:56 PM
I got the 37PFL7605 with a similar problem when I did understand the OP. My TV has thin horizontal banding lines which is very noticable. Also 3 lines of vertical banding, but thats not always there, because it depends on the source (football for example).

The first problem is very annoying and our old Sony TV (bought 2009) doesnt have that...

Vitor Sousa
05-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Hello to all,

Im the proud owner of a 46PFL9706 bought 5 months ago. Im very pleased with the TV in general, great image and sound. Although when I watch sports, particularly football, its noticeable three ou four vertical bands on the screen, the so called dirty screen image. When there was the horizontal panning of the camera, this is very noticeable. What should I do? This is a software problem, that would be corrected, or I should call a Philips engineer?

Greetings from Portugal.

zlatko
05-08-2012, 10:02 AM
@Vitor Sousa
We are waiting for reply from Philips on this - source, solution etc. I will advice you contact Philips local care and make the register your problem. My recommendation will be to not go for panel change yet, cause it is not clear if there are DSE free TVs from 9th series from 2011. So you will just go trough the negatives, without seeing any improvement at the end.

jd1
05-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Hello all,
given zlatko's request I thought it was time to join the party....
I got a 46PFL9706 in January and agree with all that DSE is visible on pans on skiing/football, but in general the picture quality and moth-eye just about make up for it on my set, but I do worry that my acceptance is starting to diminish. My dealer actually sent me another set to see if there was any improvement (superb service!), but the second one was MUCH worse. The positions where you will see DSE are actually visible even if you display a static white .jpg file as very slight brightness variations (on good sets) or horrendous variations on bad ones! From my experience (more obvious on the BAD TV) the main problems are caused by two rectangular areas symmetrical around the centre line of the TV (almost central in the left and right halves of the screen) these appear to consist of 7x7blocks of the LED matrix having different brightness on alternate "vertical stripes" with the outer ones (i.e. stripes 1 and 7) the most pronounced. I have pictures if anyone is interested!

Freddy
05-10-2012, 12:25 PM
You seem to have a keen eye for this problem, so... yes, I think we are all very interested in seeing your pictures. Especially the fact that you say it is the backlight that's causing the problem and not the panel itself is something Philips could work with!... It might even be possible to "repair" it then, instead of just getting a new one, hoping it will be better...

zlatko
05-11-2012, 09:11 AM
@jd1
Thank you for confirming the issue! Also your comment is very valuable as it shows that the issue varies from set to set, but is predominantly present on all sets and exchanges till you get a set with tolerable amount of DSE is hard path to take. Also many dealer/service centers will not offer exchange, but panel swap.
Please post your photos here so other users and Philips mods can have a look. I have tried to capture DSE on image, but on my screen it is barely visible on static picture and hard to capture on movie when orizontal panning as well.
Otherwise I completely agree with you - PQ is fantastic and I really like my 9606. I do not want to get another brand TV. I hope Philips will provide us a solution to this or upgrade path to newer DSE-free TV sets. I would love to get a 60" Philips screen as they were not available in 2012 :)

jd1
05-13-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi Guys, sorry for the delay. I'm attaching two images - one for the "good" TV and one for the "bad" one! These are taken with the SAME white.jpg image (a computer generated white screen!) being displayed (notice on the bad one I didn't even bother taking the screen protector off since it was so much worse! The easiest way to see where you will notice DSE is to open these pictures on a PC viewer, shrink the window, grab it with the mouse and move it around - your eye/brain will then make it obvious where it is!11011102. I have more pictures as well....

jd1
05-13-2012, 05:07 PM
1103Also if you want to try it yourself, here is the original image white.jpg that I made to test with (I assume you can grab it from here?). I put this image on a USB stick, stuck that in the TV, displayed the image, then took the photos of it. The "put resulting photo of TV screen on PC and shake" reproduces the effect of how much better your eyes/brain are at distinguishing brightness variation in "moving" objects versus stationary ones (I think?). For my current TV (the "good" one), I can barely notice the variation on the static image on the screen (and hence where the DSE appears on pans) but as soon as I move the picture I have taken it is obvious.

nuri58
05-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Are you sure this effect is not introduced in the processing of the moving image? You should measure the light intensity on your screen in different places and see. I have tried with a profesional test disk and got perfect pictures in all grey shades and no problem with colours either. However I found another "home" made test DVD which made it look quite cloudy with uneven areas of shade. I have only once seen a steady picture with the banding effect on my set. I streamed this recording to all my TVs and got exactly the same DSE regardless screen size or TV brand. However, on moving pictures I find the DSE is worse than on other sets.

DSE is an issue manifesting in two different ways - vertical stripes (of same width) or dirty clouds. The other issue I still have is that a lot of broadcasts have some rapid picture movements which I attribute to the SP of the SW. No doubt this is an issue on all flat screens but just seems worse with this TV.

jd1
05-14-2012, 10:45 PM
Hi Nuri58 - The images are taken with the TV displaying a static JPG image, so the processing should be doing nothing. Here is a processed photo of the screen displaying the white.jpg static image processed to show the intensity gradient of the panel (greatly exagerrated!). The main area I notice DSE on moving images is where the lighter vertical stripe in the middle of the "darker cloud" on the right hand side of the screen, hence my conclusion. The "cloudy area" shows the uneven intensity of the display that is unnoticeable on a static image for the eye, but the main cause of DSE IMHO is how rapidly the intensity changes across the screen.
I guess the main question is does the position if the DSE change with different moving images - for me it doesn't, so that makes me believe that it is not a processing artifact, but a screen/panel issue.1110

zlatko
05-15-2012, 09:39 AM
@jd1
Thank you for the pics buddy! I will make my own with white background soon. Looks my panel is similar to yours in regards to DSE. May be slightly worse - it is hard to judge. But the "bad" one on your pics is really terrible!
An user in Russian forum board is awaiting panel change due to DSE - he will let us know what is the result of it.
I think you wont mind me to use your photos as examples?

@nuri58
DSE we notice is NOT related to movement/processing in any way. Stripes of different shade are there in static image, always at the same place, exactly same shape. When panning starts they remain untouched, only become easier noticeable.

@Philips-mods
What is the reason for posts in this thread requiring moderator approval? I don't think we discuss something "illegal"? Nor we state false information?

I have attached an image of my panel with light-grey background. Have in mind that my TV is 52PFL9606, not the 9706(as the thread suggests), but screen should be the same with only difference being the MothEye filter on 9706.

nuri58
05-15-2012, 04:22 PM
Hi Nuri58 - The images are taken with the TV displaying a static JPG image, so the processing should be doing nothing. Here is a processed photo of the screen displaying the white.jpg static image processed to show the intensity gradient of the panel (greatly exagerrated!). The main area I notice DSE on moving images is where the lighter vertical stripe in the middle of the "darker cloud" on the right hand side of the screen, hence my conclusion. The "cloudy area" shows the uneven intensity of the display that is unnoticeable on a static image for the eye, but the main cause of DSE IMHO is how rapidly the intensity changes across the screen.
I guess the main question is does the position if the DSE change with different moving images - for me it doesn't, so that makes me believe that it is not a processing artifact, but a screen/panel issue.1110There are two issues - the camera - what does it add and as you move the image on a computer surely the computer is begining to make calculations - what does taht add? Have you tried to redo your experiment with the image generated on other TVs or on the computer and looked at the result? For the clouding I note quite uneven backlight on any TV set and do find other sets worse in this respect. But still DSE is an issue.

zlatko
05-16-2012, 07:42 AM
@nuri58
DSE we are discussing is present on static or moving image, always the same stripes, at same positions, same shape, irrelevant of the material, HW source, connection type, picture settings on TV or source output settings.
So there is no need to delve into processing here.

Teddy63
05-18-2012, 09:55 AM
@nuri58
DSE we are discussing is present on static or moving image, always the same stripes, at same positions, same shape, irrelevant of the material, HW source, connection type, picture settings on TV or source output settings.
So there is no need to delve into processing here.

I have already written here and I confirm. I see the same problems of DSE. same vertical strips at the same places ... and still no solution found ..

Miklaszewski
05-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Same problems, contacted Philips several times, been contacted by them saying they add acknowledged the issue but a replacement could not by made as the problem would probably be still there and a change to a newer model was also not possible since there is none yet, so I should wait. Been waiting for a month, will probably return the tv. The only reason I havent yet is that pass that issue, I think its a fantastic tv, but for its price, it should not have this kind of issues! Seriously looking into the new vt50 by panasonic.

zlatko
05-29-2012, 02:07 PM
@Miklaszewski
What country is that? So Philips there is acknowledging DSE?! And saying panel change wont help? I wonder what can be solution for us owners of 9X06 models? Upgrade to 2012 models?

frankie
06-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Hello All

I have the same problem with my 46PFL9706H.

Especially on light color backgounds like: light green, light blue and white.

It becomes really an issue when you watch socces, when the camera moves from left to right and vv.
It looks like you watching through a dirty camera lens.

Philips did sent someone from Technorep. He acknowledged the banding but also said that he had see cases far more worse and that replacing the panel might not improve the picture quality. Appearantly it is a design issue?!

At the same time I experience a "ghost"effect when you switch local dimming on.

So I have a 2500 Euro TV of which I have to switch off an important feature while I can't fix the other issue.

On the phone, the Philips support desk said, this is within the Philips spec's, and if I was not satisfied I should go back to the store where I bought the TV to complain.

I said how can they solve the issue if this is a "design" issue from Philips. But no solution was offered. As a long time Philips TV users, I am deeptly disappointed about the service.

They promise in their marketimg a great product where even my much cheaper 32PFL7605 does not show any banding !!!

Next step is going back to the store but I already feel left in the cold....... to be continued.

zlatko
06-09-2012, 07:44 AM
@frankie
Thanks for sharing! :)
I think we will see more such reports coming here in next weeks as Euro 2012 football championship just kicked-off and people who bought Philips premium TV sets in order to enjoy it will for sure notice the annoying DSE when they watch so many football games.
I think it is time for Philips to issue some kind of statement about this!

kingzapp
07-04-2012, 08:43 AM
I really didnt see any DSE before EM ... makes me wanna cry now ... How to fix this panel problem?

zlatko
07-05-2012, 04:44 PM
@kingzapp
There is no fix. Philips unofficially acknowledged that the problem is in the manufacturing process itself. There are screen with less pronounced DSE and screen with more visible. Philips local service can judge if your case is within specs or not. If not - they will exchange panel, so you can keep your fingers crossed and hope you will get replacement with less pronounced DSE than what was before. But there is no DSE free panels in 2011 9th series.

nuri58
07-18-2012, 08:54 PM
Hmm - I got a new main board fitted today and the DSE (banding) effect seems somewhat reduced - I kept a recording of a La Liga match as reference for the same purpose. However, the banding seems changed in the sense it is no longer alternating stripes of same the width but much fewer, weaker and irregularly spaced. The technician could not see it without saying it's not there, and did offer to bring in the TV. We agreed that I test and if I still have an issue they will pick it up for further evaluation.

T6 KFR
08-24-2012, 02:36 PM
Has anyone had any feedback about this issue? I have just started a new thread being new to the forum about the DSE effect , i bought a new 46" 9705 in June that suffers.

Its terrible after spending so much money on a premium televison.

kingzapp
09-03-2012, 09:14 AM
Has anyone had any feedback about this issue? I have just started a new thread being new to the forum about the DSE effect , i bought a new 46" 9705 in June that suffers.

Its terrible after spending so much money on a premium televison.

Philips gonna pick up my 9706 today for checking the DSE effect. Just hope they gonna change the panel or fix the problem. Really annoying with the DSE effect!

zlatko
09-03-2012, 10:25 AM
@T6 KFR
There is no solution. Philips is aware of the problem, but can't do anything. Nearly all top TV sets from 9xx5 and 9xx6 suffer from DSE, Philips can't change every single set. And even if it decided to change - there are virtually no DSE free screens.
You can turn to Philips local care, they will test you TV set(they even have test manual) and IF they find DSE over acceptable limits they will exchange your panel. You can only hope new panel is better than the old one.

zlatko
09-04-2012, 06:11 AM
@kingzapp
Wish you good luck with this!
Please share with us what happened and if the issue was resolved.

Chew
09-07-2012, 04:59 PM
Just for the record, I also have this problem with my 46PFL9706K. I even have a lattice of 4x4 squares where the inner squares are as bright as the outer surroundings and the lattice itself is a bit dimmed. I can see that when there is a larger area of the same color tone. Since I connected my PC to the TV via HDMI, I can play with any colors, images etc. all I want. When doing a completely white screen the effect can be seen best, of course.
I noticed the effect first when I played Assassin's Creed, the white loading screen showed it quite obviously.

CALPE
10-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Proud owner you state! You should be having spent over 2,000! Picture setting indeed! What about the smoky black bars that are always in the image? They appear mainly in two areas and are very pronounced on white scenes or scenes of one main colour. Solution? Not software that's for sure. What does someone do with a 2,000 top range tv with these bars? What solution am i to expect from Philips? Check out the other posts on 46PFL9706 or indeed other tv's with the 06 as part of their model.

JamesPond
10-26-2012, 07:27 PM
I was a proud owner of a 37PFL9604, an excellent set but I wanted something bigger!
I bought a 46PFL9706 on May 2012. After some days I detected the vertical band problems and managed to trade it for a identical model where I bought the first one (they did not allow me to return it!!!). After a while, I also started noticing the same type of bands, less pronounced and not on the same place as the first one. This time I contacted the assistance. They came, took the TV and switched the panel. At the shop they noticed that the problem was not gone and contacted the philips responsible, who told them that the panel was acceptable. As I was not satisfied, I presented a claim directly to philips and a second assistance firm came and observed the problem. I am now waiting for the ending.... lets see! I sincerely do not hope to get a 100% TV, like the one advertised by EISA!
If the problem is perfectly identified, why is that philips is unable to find a solution? Is the panel quality so hard to be guaranteed during its manufacturing???

zlatko
11-02-2012, 08:48 AM
@JamesPond
Philips wont do ANYTHING - according to them DSE is within screen specs and it is normal. There is no solution - you can change your panel/TV set several times until you find a panel with less pronounced issue, but you can NOT get rid of it completely. Philips currently is tucking its head in the sand, not wanting to acknowledge DSE. We, as an owners can't do anything either. May be some of us can exchange TV for another brand if the retailer you bought it from is kind/respectable enough.
Anyway - we should warn all potential buyers who consult Internet/web forums when doing their research. Philips is not a company one can trust quality wise and customer support wise. Pity.

JamesPond
03-10-2013, 07:27 AM
Hi all,

Just to let you know the end of this unexpected story... Fortunately I was able to return my TV, almost one year after the purchase. Despite Philips did not care about my complaints, the store, where I bought it, accepted the return (after an expert technician report). I will not buy Philips ever again, and it does not matter the product. I am sad to leave the ambilight feature, but it does not compensate all the hassle that Philips put me through. Cheers!!!

JP