PDA

View Full Version : Flashing ambilight issue when 3D gaming on my PS3

MrEdd
11-19-2011, 06:56 PM
Hi everyone, hope you can help.

I've just purchased a new TV - 42PFL7606H/12 Ambilight TV and it appears to have a fault.

When playing games on my PS3 (new slim 320gb model) in 3D mode, the ambilight intermittently flashes much like a camera flash, both white and purple. This happens even when I switch off the ambilight mode. I have tried 2 games and have had the same problem on each - Uncharted 3 and Killzone 3. It is very off putting.

I have experienced no issues when playing games in 2D, ambilight works fine whilst switched on, no flashing. In 2D mode ambilight stay off when switched off.

I have experienced no issues when watching a 3D Bluray (Toy Story 3) through the same PS3.

The same problem occurs when it is through ports HDMI1 and HDMI2, I have also tried it with 2 different HDMI cables both high speed (1.3 & 1.4).

The software version in the TV is Q5551-0.10.94.1 - I know this is not the updated version I guess that is something else I will have to try. I also own another PS3, an 80gb fat model, I intend to try that aswell.

Any help anyone can give me would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

MrEdd
11-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Just to let everyone know I have installed the most recent software version Q5551-0.1084.0 as recommended by Philips support helpline but that has made no difference.

Is anyone else experiencing the same or similar issues Id love to hear from you if you are or indeed If anyone has a idea as to how I am going to resolve this.

Thanks.

Dyna
11-19-2011, 09:23 PM
I got the exactly same problem.
My system: Philips 42PFL7606K/02, also updated to the newest firmware.
Tried the 3D Mode with Games on my own PS3 and also tried it with an Xbox360 and another PS3 of a friend. and the ambilight flashes no matter what i do, even when it's turned off.
The PS3 firmwares are 3.66 and 3.72, so it is neither based on the game systems nor the relating firmware of the PS3.
I am now considering to return this tv to buy instead a system with a... well functioning hardware / firmware...

MrEdd
11-20-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks for letting me know that your experiencing the same issue - I don't feel so alone any more.

I have a case reference with philips and I intend to talk to them again on Monday.

I am hoping they have a PS3 in their test lab and can replicate the problem at there end. If they can I would be interested to see if the same issue occurs on the 8000 or 9000 range.

I have 2 ambilight TV's - really like them. This is the first issue I've had with them so I really want to give Philips a chance to find a solution.

I'll keep you posted with any news I get here.

Thanks again.

MrEdd
11-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Hi all,

Just to let you know I have played the 3D Games using my 80GB "Fat" PS3 and the issue is still there. Its really causing me stress. These TV's are not cheap and to find it wont play 3D games correctly is very disappointing to say the least.

MrEdd
11-24-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi all,

According to Philips UK tech support the TV is faulty and so I have decided to send it back to the retailer for a full refund. The Currier (UPS) are coming tomorrow to collect it.

I'll keep you posted as to how that goes.

Dyna
11-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Thank you for your information MrEdd.

I myself also contacted amazon to return my screen as I were still within 30-days guarantee time and the courier fetched it today.
I also got to know of another acquaintance suffering from the same issue.
Today I were having a look in a local media store for alternative screens. They also had a PS3 for tryout, so I tried 2 screens there. the 32pfl7606 and the 42pfl7906. The 32pfl7606 seemed to work fine.
Surprisingly, the 42pfl7906 showed a similar problem. The ambilight was also flashing white when playing the GT5 on the demonstrational PS3, but at least, when the ambilight was switched off, it didin't continue with the white flashes. (This was also the main reason of me to return the 42pfl7606... flashing lights with turned of ambilight was a no-go for me.)
What surprised me about the ambilight problem was also, that the 42pfl7906 also had firmware 14.084 installed.... though, the problem also appeared on my 42pfl7606 while having the older 10.94 firmware installed. The 32pfl7606 also had the 10.94 firmware and didn't show any problems.

As the problem only appeared when playing 3D Games but not while playing 3D Bluray movies, i figure that the problem's source must be based on the synchronization of the image signal with the television. This could also be the reason why it's flashing at arbitrary moments every now and then. Yet, I of course can't tell if it's a hardware- or firmware based issue :/
Just hope that there will be a solution at some date (or that it simply disappeared in further productions) as I really would like to enjoy a screen with ambilight.

MrEdd
11-26-2011, 09:30 AM
Thanks for that Update Dyna.

That could prove useful as I am considering the 42PFL7666T from John Lewis once my refund comes from Pixmania. Now I'm not sure if this issue is common across the entire Philips range.

There are 55million PS3's out there - It must be the most common 3D blu-ray player on the market surely Philips have sold many thousands of these TV sets to PS3 owners If this issue was that common you would think there would be lots of people adding their experiences to this thread.

Please let me know which model you decide to get next and if it works for 3D gameing with ambilight - I will do the same.

I do feel that Philips should also join this conversation as there technical expertise could be vital to any purchases we both make.

Thanks again for keeping me in touch.

MrEdd
12-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Hi all Just purchased a brand new Philips 42pfl666T/12 and the same issue is present !!! I really like the TV otherwise.

Its exactly the same ... Flashing ambilights (like a bright camera flash) intermittently when 3D gaming.

This is crazy. surely Philips can resolve this with a firmware update.

MrEdd
12-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Update....

its the 42pfl7666T/12

Toengel
12-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Hi,

version 14.88 is the latest for 42pfl7666T/12 - try this firmware...

Toengel@Alex

doener
12-04-2011, 01:04 PM
I also confrim this flashing.
I can see it from time to time while playing in 3D with the PS3.

It would be nice if it could be fixed with a FW update. currently i have the old fw on it.

Dyna
12-04-2011, 10:20 PM
@ MrEdd:
My Condolence regarding your situation.
I really hope the issue can be solved somehow and that it's hopefully based on a firmware issue and not on a bad mass-production of the hdmi signal synchronization.
Just wonder why philips told me on the phone that they don't know about this issue, regarding this thread.
Interestingly though, all philips tv models i know about having this issue are part of the 7000 series. So, the chance that it's a problem based on a bad firmware isn't impossible.

Also i really hope that after this long time, a technician of philips will finally realize the thread and take care of this issue....
My fiancé really would like me to get an ambilight screen again, but as long as this issue is not solved there is no way I can buy this product :/ (Can't spend about 1000€ on a buggy system.)

0815.Dummy
12-13-2011, 10:48 AM
The same here.

42PFL7606H/12 and flashing ambilight with the PS3 :confused:

MrEdd
12-13-2011, 11:36 AM
He every one I am going to try ringinh Philips head office to see If I can at least draw someone's attention to this thread. wish me luck.

MrEdd
12-13-2011, 12:08 PM
Ended up talking to Philips UK technical team, they have asked me to update the firmware.

I'm going to do that now. I'll let you and them know what it happens.

Dyna
12-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Ended up talking to Philips UK technical team, they have asked me to update the firmware.

I'm going to do that now. I'll let you and them know what it happens.

When I still had my 42pfl7606k/02 tv, i also tried if the problem would be fixed by updating to firmware 14.84 (currently still the newest). It didn't change anything at all, it only made the tv to go to standby every once in a while when using the tv menu or changing channels....

Please tell me if the update fixes the situation for you... i wish you best of luck. Thx for keeping us updated.

MrEdd
12-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Hi all,

I have updated the firmware on my 42pfl7666t/12 to the latest version and although the issue (intermittent very bright flashes) is still present when the ambilight feature is switched on, when the ambilight was switched off it did not flash for the 40 minutes I was playing uncharted 3 this morning.

This seems much better than before as it would flash intermittently prior to the update even with the ambilight feature turned off.

I will continue to monitor it and keep you all informed.

Thanks everyone .... please keep posting your experiences with this issue in this thread as I'm sure it will prompt Philips to find a comprehensive fix once and for all.

MrEdd
12-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Hi all,

I Called Philips head office in the Netherlands and spoke to a nice person there who sympathised with the problems I was having. She said she would contact Philips UK and get this issue resolved.

Philips UK called and offered me what they always offer - to take the TV to a local authorised workshop and "fix" it. This means (as I understand it) taking my brand new, unmarked TV apart in an effort to get to the bottom of the problem. I'm not happy with this as a solution as I don't want a reconditioned TV I want my New TV to just work.

The person from Philips UK said on the call, by the way, that he has a 7000 series model and a PS3 and has had no issues.

What do You guys think?

I let everyone I spoke to know about this thread and my disappointment that no one from Philips has yet joined this conversation.

Dyna
12-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Thanks MrEdd for the information.
From your explanation and regarding my own experience, this issue must be solely based on a bad firmware...
Otherwise, the issue shouldn't change at all.
I also don't recommend to send your TV in for a "fix", as it is highly unlikely to be a hardware-based issue...

Moreover I hereby also want to state my disappointment about this service...
This thread has already 20 entries... and yet, not a single reaction from Philips. I thought this forum is meant to solve problems of their customers, ... not ignoring them.

And also great for the contact person you got from philips...
Having a 7000 series model doesn't mean anything regarding this problem, as long as it's not a 2011 model with "Easy3D" technology. (Model number ending on a 6).

Best regards,
D

MrEdd
12-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Thanks for your help so far Dyna with these problems you really have helped me continue to to try and get to the bottom of this issue. I think I would have given up by now and bought a different brand TV.

MrEdd
12-15-2011, 08:13 AM
I just remembered the man I spoke to yesterday at Philips UK regarding this issue (the one who said he had a 7000 series TV and a PS3 with no issues) said it may be a "batch" issue. he made a note of my TV's serial number, hopefully he will look into that and get back to me.

Thanks all.

MrEdd
12-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Hi ,

If you are reading this thread because you have a Philips Ambilight TV and the Ambilights flash intermittently while gaming through HDMI in 3D Mode please join the forum and post your experiences.

I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who has posted so far.

Matthi1983
12-15-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi,
I have an 42pfl7606k/02 and i'm also got the flashing ambilight problem during 3d gaming. Also tried updating to the newest firmware, but it was not solved. 3d movies work great and without problems.

MrEdd
12-15-2011, 11:43 AM
hi all just an update on my situation...

After I updated the TV to the latest firmware and playing uncharted 3 for 40 mins on the ps3 the ambilights had not flashed (Ambilight function turned off) BUT playing it today it did flash - so the latest firmware did not solve anything.

MrEdd
12-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi,
I have an 42pfl7606k/02 and i'm also got the flashing ambilight problem during 3d gaming. Also tried updating to the newest firmware, but it was not solved. 3d movies work great and without problems.

Thanks for joining the thread Matthi - hopefully Philips will join the conversation soon and acknowledge the issue were all having.

MrEdd
12-15-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi Matthi1983

I was just wondering if you experienced these issues while 3D gaming on a PS3 or a Xbox 360?

Thanks.

Matthi1983
12-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Hi Matthi1983

I was just wondering if you experienced these issues while 3D gaming on a PS3 or a Xbox 360?

Thanks.

Hi
i play 3d on a ps3.

Yemmeth
12-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Sorry for my bad english because I use an automatic translator

I join you to share the same problem when using my PS3.

I have a 42PFL7606H/12 and I intall the latest firmware (ie: Version: 000.014.084.000).

We hope Philips fixes the problem until now because I've never had anything wrong with this brand .......

MrEdd
12-16-2011, 09:47 AM
Sorry for my bad english because I use an automatic translator

I join you to share the same problem when using my PS3.

I have a 42PFL7606H/12 and I intall the latest firmware (ie: Version: 000.014.084.000).

We hope Philips fixes the problem until now because I've never had anything wrong with this brand .......

Thanks for joining the forum and sharing your experience with this issue.

I too have always had great products from Philips. This is my second TV set for a games room. I have a 42pfl7962 in the living room and its been great.

When asked by friends and colleagues about which TV's are best I am the one singing the praises of Philips and ambilight.

I'm sure they will resolve the issue.

Thanks again for you input.

MrEdd
12-16-2011, 11:32 AM
I also confrim this flashing.
I can see it from time to time while playing in 3D with the PS3.

It would be nice if it could be fixed with a FW update. currently i have the old fw on it.

Hi doener,

Could you please let us know the Model No. of the TV you have. It could prove really useful as we could compile a list of models affected.

Thanks for joining the thread by the way and sharing your experience.

LucaGalantino
12-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Hi everyone...
I live in Italy and I've recently bought a 42" PFL7606M...
This morning i've tried to play Batman Arkham City in 3D on the Xbox...same problem here....ambilight flashes white...even when turned off...
The ambilight works fine when play any other 3D movie or BR...

I really hope that Philips could solve this annoying problem...
So far i'm really happy with my TV... :S

MrEdd
12-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Hi Lucagalantino thanks so much for joining this thread and sharing your experience with us all.

Dyna also had experienced the problem with both the PS3 and the Xbox360 but most of us seem to be PS3 owners.

I too am hoping for a quick resolution to this issue as I have been dealing with it for some time now.

Thanks again.

Marco W
12-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Flashing Ambilight also occurs when (for example) watching Avatar in 3D (Sidy-By-Side) from a computer, connect by HDMI.

Affected model: 47PFL7606H/12

If it helps I can try to record the problem with a Digital Camera and post it on the forums.

MrEdd
12-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks for joining the Thread Marco - I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing flashing ambilights on your Philips TV too.

Its interesting to me that you are the first to post an issue with a TV that is not a 42" model (I was going to try upgrade to get away from this issue).

Do you have any 3D games for your PC that you could try?

Do you have a games console (PS3/360) that you could try? and if so let us know the results.

Thanks again for joining the thread.

MrEdd
12-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi all,

I just wanted to let you all know how Philips are treating me with regards to my second faulty 7000 series TV.

As you know from the thread, I have purchased 2 7000 series ambilight TV's. The first - 42PFL7606h/12 and the current one 42PFL7666T/12, both have the same issue. I returned the first one back to Pixmania for a refund, as the only thing Philips would offer was to take it away and have someone open it up and try and fix it. As I don't want a refurbished TV I did not take them up on this offer. I went out and spent an extra £100 on the next model up from a local authorised Philips dealer, which unfortunately has the same problem.

I have been speaking to Philips for the last 2 weeks about my second TV and to say I am disappointed with their response is an under statement. Not only has nobody from Philips actually responded to this thread to acknowledge the problem, that many others are experiencing, they are not offering any other resolution than the first time round. Firstly to upgrade the firmware (done making no difference), secondly take the TV back to the retailer (80 mile round trip and a lot of hassle) or thirdly have a local repair centre open my brand new unmarked TV and tinker with it! I did not pay this much money to end up with a refurbished TV!

According to the Philips person I spoke to today (although he was not in Technical, he said) they are working on a software fix - if this is the case, why do they need to send my TV away to be opened up???

I have now witnessed the flashing ambilight whilst 3D gaming issue personally on 3 7000 series TV's, two in my home, and the other on a retailers display model, and with all the others posting on this thread that are also experiencing the issue, why will Philips not acknowledge the problem by responding in this thread?

I would have expected more from a reputable company like Philips, being a high end respected manufacturer, with regards to resolving this issue. I would want them to bring me a TV that they know works and does what I have paid for it to do and then take away my faulty TV to repair and then sell on as a refurbished model.

All in all this whole experience has been a nightmare, doing everything that has been asked of me by Philips (I've been on the phone with them many times and my case file must be bursting) I now ask Philips to do what I (the very unhappy customer) ask of them, bring me a TV that works! (Please!)

Philips - Thomas
12-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi Guys

as indicated in the other Thread, please all set the Ambilight to cool White.

Regards
Thomas

MrEdd
12-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Hi Guys

as indicated in the other Thread, please all set the Ambilight to cool White.

Regards
Thomas

Firstly I would like to say a big thanks Thomas for joining this thread.

I did try setting the ambilight to Cool White as indicated in the other thread but this does not resolve the issue, it merely makes the ambilights flicker instead of flash !!

I also posted the fact that it didn't work in the other thread some time ago.

Setting the ambilight to cool white seems to me a very poor attempt to mask the problem by having the ambilights on all of the time. Surely this cannot be the official Philips fix?!. What if you wish to switch the ambilights off? or use the dynamic setting?

I thanked you for joining the thread at the beginning of this reply and I meant it but I do feel the need to say that I and others have been dealing with this issue for over a month now and just saying "set the ambilight to cool white" & inferring that the fault it has already been resolved in another thread is disappointing.

Dyna
12-23-2011, 04:29 PM
First of all, thank you Mr. Edd for all your tests on the topic.
I as well want to state my big disappointment. How is it possible to ignore such a problem, stated by that many users...
This "Set the ambilight to Cool White" solution is like telling a person with a broken leg to simply not to move, just with the difference that this problem won't heal in the same way....
If this is really supposed to be an "official solution" for the problem, I certainly won't buy another philips tv, but instead buy a product of an other brand and just attach 2 LED-Bars behind the screen. It would pretty much work in the same way, just better: when it's closed, it most certainly won't flash a bit...
It's simple as it is: fixed the problem by solving this issue simply with the firmware... It most definitely is a firmware problem. If it's hardware based, this would call for a recall of like all tvs of at least the current 7000 Series.

One more thing: please care about it. I really love your ambilight screens, but the disappointment is really starting to overwhelm my sympathy for your products...

MrEdd
12-24-2011, 06:41 AM
I bought a brand new Philips TV ( 42pfl7606h ) it cost £800. It didn't work correctly (the ambilights flash intermittently when playing a 3D game or in dual view mode).

Philips said - update the firmware - so I did and it made no difference.

Philips said - its faulty - so I sent it back to the retailer for a refund.

I bought another brand new Philips TV. This time I bought a better model ( 42pfl7666t ) it cost me £900. It does not work correctly (the ambilights flash intermittently when playing a 3D game or in dual view mode - same fault).

Philips said - update the firmware - so I did and it made no difference.

Philips said - set the ambilights to "Cool White" a pathetic half baked "solution" that does not even do what was intended (hide the problem).

Philips said - we will take it in, have someone open up your TV and "fix" it (no TV for 10 days, and when returned its no longer a brand new TV, its one that has been opened up and put back together again) - no thanks.

Philips said - send it back to the retailer and get a refund or replacement. Its a minimum 80 mile round trip. I have already taken a PS3 to that retailer and tried it on the demonstration 42plf7666t and guess what - you guessed it - same fault!!

Meanwhile I've been on this forum Posting my tests and experiences along with many others who have the exact same issue on different models across the 7000 series TV range. Great people. Very good customers of yours PHILIPS. Its very frustrating for us all.

Anyone feel like buying a PHILIPS TV ????

doener
12-26-2011, 10:57 AM
@MrEdd

I have the 55 inch Version of the 7606k 02 now with the new 14.93 fw but the flashing ambilight with the ps3 in the 3D Mode stays. it also dosent matter if I play games in SBS mode or games in 720p 3D mode which the tv automatically recognizes. I haven't seen this issue with 3D blue rays in the ps3. My ambilight is set to the biggest separation and full power.

I would buy the tv again. Its not a big thing for me. Other brands don't have ambilight. I prefere ambilight with some issues in 3D mode with the ps3 before not having it at all. With my tv it's just a really short flash. Comparing to old games with a light gun when you fire.

Philips
12-26-2011, 07:24 PM
Hi all,

Tnx all for your valuable feedback. The "flashing AL" issue is currently under investigation.
As soon as we have a solution, it will be communicated.
PS. The advise to set it to "cool white" was of course an intermediate solution.

Rgrds,
JuAn

MrEdd
12-27-2011, 06:47 AM
I have the 55 inch Version of the 7606k 02 now with the new 14.93 fw but the flashing ambilight with the ps3 in the 3D Mode stays. it also dosent matter if I play games in SBS mode or games in 720p 3D mode which the tv automatically recognizes. I haven't seen this issue with 3D blue rays in the ps3. My ambilight is set to the biggest separation and full power.

Thanks for letting us know your model and firmware.

The issue you are experiencing is the same. Hope Philips can resolve it soon.

MrEdd
12-27-2011, 06:55 AM
Hi all,

Tnx all for your valuable feedback. The "flashing AL" issue is currently under investigation.
As soon as we have a solution, it will be communicated.
PS. The advise to set it to "cool white" was of course an intermediate solution.

Rgrds,
JuAn

Thank you JuAn for joining the thread.

I there any way you and keep us informed of the progress you are making. for instance can you let us know that you have confirmed the existence of the problem in your test lab? Once confirmed can you let us know (as soon as you know) if this is a hardware or firmware issue? Once that is established it would be great if an estimated fix date could be given.

Also I am very relieved to hear that setting the ambilights to "cool white" was just an intermediate solution.

Thanks again for joining the thread JuAn.

Kind regards.

Dyna
12-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Dear JuAn,

thank you for the feedback.
I'll look forward to your solution.

Best regards,
D

morma
12-28-2011, 12:26 AM
Hi Guys

I'm glad that i'm not the only one out there with this problem.
I bought my 42pf7606h/12 last week 23.12.2011 and like most people tested the 3d funktion. (My first 3D TV)
No probs while watching 3D blu-ray movies, but now with the 3D games its another thing.
I'm using a PS3 to play the movies and games XD.

While i had no problems with the "Sonic Generations"-game in 3D, the ambilight started flashing by playing "Gran Turismo 5" and "Uncharted 3" in 3d. In 2D no flashing weird :/

Tonight i updated the TV to firmware 000.014.093.000 still no change. If this issue isn't solved within the next 3 weeks, then i have to bring it back to the retailer. Ambilight is a "nice to have" but if it isn't running properly i'd rather buy a tv without this gadget.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, the ambilight flashes even when disabled (as most of you already mentioned), cool white trick well flickering ><

Best regards

Edit 2: Today i called the support-center and explained the problem with the tv. They ensured me that an technician would call me back to make a date to check up my tv.
Probably we know more next week

MrEdd
12-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Edit 2: Today i called the support-center and explained the problem with the tv. They ensured me that an technician would call me back to make a date to check up my tv.
Probably we know more next week[/QUOTE]

Hi Morma. Sorry to hear you have the issue too.

I contacted my local UK Philips support-center many, many times and they offered me what I think they may have offered you.

They have offered me this .....

A local authorised Philips repair centre to pick up my brand new unmarked £900 TV, take it away, open it up and "fix" it. I refused. I refused because, even if they were able to "fix" my TV it would not be a brand new TV any more, It would be what I consider a reconditioned TV.

I am still waiting for Philips to get back to me with a suitable solution. I have been dealing with this for over a month and I consider my case still open.

If you have been offered something different please let us know. If you take Philips up on their solution - please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards.

morma
12-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi MrEdd

They offered me that an authorised Philips-center would send an technician, to see the problem with my TV. And then we're going to discuss the next steps.
As i mentioned the technician will call me the next days to arrange a date probably for next week.

I let you know when i've got some news.

Kind regards

morma
12-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi guys

Maybe i found the problem myself, so i want you to try this:

You have to go in the PS3 to Settings, then Sound Settings, Audio Output, Optical Digital and mark Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch. + DTS 5.1 Ch. + AAC then save this settings . After that you have to enable the Audio Multi-Output so that you can use the sound also on TV.

It was an coincidence that i found out this i branched my PS3 to my Surround system with an optical-cable and made these settings so i could use Tv or Surround sound as i like.

As i played Gran Turismo 5 in 3D the ambilight weren't flashing, i thought i wasn't seeing right so i undid these settings resetet the game in 3D and the ambilights started flashing immediately.
Redid the settings flashing gone.

I will test it further, but at the moment i have no probs with the ambilights.

Edit: After 1 hour of gaming still no flashing Ambilights, i tried several games in 3D like GT5, Uncharted 3. Even when the AL are disabled they don't think of flashing.
Even though i don't understand why of al things, the sound settings caused this behavior.

Please let me know if this solved your problem too.

Kind regards

MrEdd
12-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Hi Morma,

Thanks for your investigations and sharing your experiences so far.

I am going to try your settings, play uncharted 3 in 3D and post my findings in this thread tomorrow. Hopefully other people will do the same.

Thanks again Morma.

Kind regards

vandenhoogen
12-29-2011, 11:56 PM
Hi guys

Maybe i found the problem myself, so i want you to try this:

You have to go in the PS3 to Settings, then Sound Settings, Audio Output, Optical Digital and mark Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch. + DTS 5.1 Ch. + AAC then save this settings . After that you have to enable the Audio Multi-Output so that you can use the sound also on TV.

It was an coincidence that i found out this i branched my PS3 to my Surround system with an optical-cable and made these settings so i could use Tv or Surround sound as i like.

As i played Gran Turismo 5 in 3D the ambilight weren't flashing, i thought i wasn't seeing right so i undid these settings resetet the game in 3D and the ambilights started flashing immediately.
Redid the settings flashing gone.

I will test it further, but at the moment i have no probs with the ambilights.

Edit: After 1 hour of gaming still no flashing Ambilights, i tried several games in 3D like GT5, Uncharted 3. Even when the AL are disabled they don't think of flashing.
Even though i don't understand why of al things, the sound settings caused this behavior.

Please let me know if this solved your problem too.

Kind regards

Wow, problem solved i made the exact settings, and tried GT5 in dual gaming mode.

And no longer flashing ambilight:) Tried 2 races and the TV showed no tendency of flashing or showing different color flashing or whatsoever:) Thanks for sharing ur experience now its an easy match for philips guys to release a new firmware to solve this issue once and for al i hope!

morma
12-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Hi

I'm glad to hear that, i've just received a call from an technician from an authorised philips-center and he told me that it can't be helped, the ambilight system is incompatible with the PS3 and can't handle the 3D signal coming from it.

When i told him that i solved the problem with some little configuration in the sound settings of the PS3 system, he seemed to be surprised. But he didn't showed real interest, i think the important thing for him was to pour oil on troubled waters. It was like: Ah if it works now, then i can close the case.

Well i don't know if they're going to change something in the firmware, but i think it would be wise because most people use the PS3 for gaming and watching movies.

And saying it can't be helped they're incompatible seems for me quite dull.
Unhappy customers usually change sides, to be honest i was just about two steps away from changing the TV against one of another manufacturer.

Well the issue is solved now and i'm happy with my TV.

I whish you a happy new year and the best of luck (especially with your TV's).

Kind regards

MrEdd
12-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi all,

Tried Mormas settings last night with Uncharted 3 on the PS3 and It worked fine - no flashing ambilight !!! yippee.

Still not 100% sure so will continue testing and posting results.

Thanks Morma for your efforts.

Happy New year to all.

MrEdd
12-30-2011, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=morma;21608]Hi

I'm glad to hear that, i've just received a call from an technician from an authorised philips-center and he told me that it can't be helped, the ambilight system is incompatible with the PS3 and can't handle the 3D signal coming from it.

When i told him that i solved the problem with some little configuration in the sound settings of the PS3 system, he seemed to be surprised. But he didn't showed real interest, i think the important thing for him was to pour oil on troubled waters. It was like: Ah if it works now, then i can close the case.

My experience of the Philips Call centre from a technical help point of view has been very poor. They don't seem technical at all.

Kind regards.

morma
12-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Hi MrEdd

I'm glad to hear that your ambilight stopped flashing. I tested it yesterday from 5:00pm - 11:00pm and now playing since 5:00pm and still no problems.

I would say it will work now :D (hopefully)

Kind regards

MrEdd
01-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Hi all,

I was playing MotorStorm Apocalypse for a good 4 hours yesterday with the ambilights on and it worked like a dream - not 1 flash !!!

I cannot thank Morma enough.

Thanks also to everyone who joined this thread.

morma
01-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Hi i'm glad that i could help,

for me it seems that the DTS and Dolby signal coming from the PS3 were troubling the ambilights. Now with these settings, you put them on the optical cable and leaving the digital stereo on the HDMI-cable. So even if you switch the sound output from your games to DTS... its only affecting the sound-format for the sourrund system and the TV still gets stereo.(The TV has only 2 speakers so you've always stereo so it doesn't matter)

Now i'm hoping that Philips will fix this in theyr next firmware update.

So long.

doener
01-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Nice to hear this easy solution. Thanks for telling us Morma.
I think Phillips should refund people for finding problems and it's depandancys.
Now the know exactly what's problem.

You should get some free 3D glasses :-) Or a sound bar or something like this from philips.
Cheers

morma
01-03-2012, 07:11 PM
You should get some free 3D glasses :-) Or a sound bar or something like this from philips.
Cheers

Yeah would be nice XD

Dyna
01-12-2012, 08:05 PM
First of all: @morma: Nice detective work there. You've been a big help to many people here.

Nontheless, this issue also exists with different hardware: PC HDMI connection and XBox360 were mentioned as well. I hope that Philips doesn't think that your nice trick around the problem means that they don't have to care about it anymore. Honestly, the people who are discussing in this thread now at least have a "homebrew" workaround for the issue regarding the ps3. Yet, there are a lot more people outside there, who also suffer from the same issue, without knowing about this or simply don't have the required background knowledge. A TV is a device for the masses, not for experts on the subject. At the same time it's difficult to belief, that such a workaround is required for the most sold blu ray player on this planet. If the 3D TVs should work perfectly with one machine, it's the PS3 and of course second the xbox. There is a high percentage of users out there who own a ps3 and only buy one these TVs to be able to use it with 3D games in a comfortable way. This is the actual market for these tells. For anything else but 3D movies and 3D gaming, a 3D tv is not required....

best regards,
D

morma
01-12-2012, 09:09 PM
If the 3D TVs should work perfectly with one machine, it's the PS3 and of course second the xbox. There is a high percentage of users out there who own a ps3 and only buy one these TVs to be able to use it with 3D games in a comfortable way. This is the actual market for these tells. For anything else but 3D movies and 3D gaming, a 3D tv is not required....
D

Hi, Dyna

i can just totally agree you. I bought my television so i could enjoy my movies and games in 3D. Not to mention my old TV was an 720p, no Full HD XD.

But this issue was the first thing i noticed. And as you say my "little trick" is only a provisionary solution and is'nt going to releases Philips from their duty towards the consumer. For the moment it's only a trick for PS3 owners but for XBOX it's another thing, unfortunatelly i dont own one so i cannot check if there's a possibility to trick the system aswell. That's up to the XBOX owners. For PC i don't use 3D on it, i use the connection PC-TV only to expand my screen.

But like i said Philips isn't released from their duty and i hope that they're working on a fix.

Best regards from your luxemburgish neighbor XD

morma
01-15-2012, 08:07 PM
Hi Guys

well unfortunately the TV's now restarting with his annoying behavior -.-

The ambilights are flashing again

I'm really frustrated.

Edit: I shutted down the TV for 30 min after that i played my 3D Games on TV and no flashing. This is really weird.

Edit 2:

Since the TV restarted with his bad behavior and i found some other probs (which have nothing to do with ambilights, such ass pvr malfunction...), i contacted philips again. This time the luxemburgish philips center, received the number from my retailer.
This time i had a really competent man on the phone, he told me that the problem is well known and should have been solved during the last update.
Since i still have the prob theyre going to send me an technician which will take my TV away for testing purpose in theyr repair shop.
He told me that since this is a software prob theyre not going to open it, but trying to do something with the software.
I told him from my experiences with the PS3 settings and that it temporarily solved the issue. The answer there are some problems with the HDMI signals and they are working on it.
And when i told him that his belgian colleague tried to convince me that the PS3 isn't compatible with the TV, he answered that is is pure nonsense. The PS3 is one of the most uncomplicated systems out there and it should work fine.

Well this time i'm shure that i will give the TV away.

I Keep you updated

Kind regards

Dyna
01-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Based on Morma's experience and "homebrew" solution, I think I found another detail about this problem. I were able to make a few tests with a 42pdl7906 tv and an xbox. It seems like the problem only appears if the tv receives a 3D image signal and any kind of surround sound input.
The problem didn't appear when the xbox was set to "digital stereo" sound. As soon as i tried a game and set the sound to 5.1 surround for the input of the tv, the flickering directly appeared.
Another test I made was setting the sound to surround and then go to the tv menu and set the sound option "surround" ("Raumklang" in german menu) to "OFF". Seems in this case, the sound signal is interpreted as stereo input and the problem also seemed to disappear. I only tried this second setting for a few minutes, but it seemed to work.

It would be nice to know if the problem still appears with other games or systems using this setting (Menu->Sound->Surround->OFF).

Best regards,
D

morma
01-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Hi

Well philips sended an technician to repair my TV. First he reinstalled the firmware, no change, then he tried a new SSB (the mainboard).

Result the TV worked for five minuts without the possibility to switch to 3D and after powering it off it didn't even started up ><. Well he put the old SSB in the TV, well it works again and the problems aren't solved. So he left without helping and the brilliant words : I couldn't do anything from the beginning because these are software problems, but he had to check it.
That was monday.

Today i checked the service order so i can see the service status (good service so i know exactly the status of my repair even if the TV isn't in theyr repair shop).

Well the technician asked Philips:

Have been to the client, The following ponits were observed:
- the SSB received does not work in 3D
- The client's problem is : when he plays with his PS3, in 3D, the ambilights
flashes (but just in 3D, if he switches into 2 D, it is OK + If he watches a
film in 3D it is OK). Is there a solution ?

Answer from Philips:

Philips advise to switch off the ambilights during viewing 3D

Well really a super advise, i never thought of this simple solution, thumbs up. No honestly, do they really think i wouldn't try this first.
If it would be so simply i wouln't mind to switch the ambiligths off, but they're flashing even when i do this. And then they're the other problems like TV shutting down every hour, IP-EPG producing errors, sound loss during watching tv, sometimes starting up on its own.

Its almost if there's a ghost living in the TV, i had better to call an exorcist or better the Ghostbusters maybe they can solve these problems.

I'm going to call Philips again and try to convince them to give me either a new device or my money. I have enough of this.

This was the worst investation ever and im not going to buy any Philips product ever again.

Best regards

Dyna
01-25-2012, 09:25 AM
@ morma: Wow, this is REALLY horribly bad service......
The technician isn't really to be blamed, but there seem to be serious issues with the service quality here....
I mean, they already know it's a common problem, they also know that the problem doesn't disappear simply by "switching off the ambilight", but there seems to be a huge problem in communication, so that one technical department doesn't know what the other is doing.

Nonetheless, just this answer to "switch off the ambilight" is sheer unacceptable.
If you have this answer as a written statement of any kind, use it directly and ask at philips to talk with some kind of supervisor... If not, ask the technician if he told you this message, as he should receive such information via email.
I mean, seriously, this is simply disrespectful.

Besides all your anger, have a look if the problem still appears when you set the surround sound settings within your philips menu to OFF (Menu -> TV Settings -> Sound -> Surround (german: Raumklang) -> OFF). As it seems to me that the problem is in connection to the combined signal of 3D image data and surround sound. Somehow, the huge datarate is problematic for the firmware. Downgrading the interpretation of the sound signal to stereo might help here, which is done by setting surround sound to off.
I also don't quite understand what the surround sound setting in the TV Menu is meant for, as the machines only offer stereo sound (maximum 2.1) themselves...

Best regards,
D

morma
01-25-2012, 12:14 PM
Hi Dyna

i just tried to switch the surround sound of in the Menu, no change. Even my little trick doesn't work's 100%. Sometimes it flashes ><

Today i called Philips again ><, the support guy tried to install a patch over NetTV but the connection to the server wasn't stable so it didn't worked. I told him that i want a new TV and that i regret the purchase because of the many problems. And he told me that he will make a notice in the reclamation folder so that the higher ups could decide.
He cannot decide to give me a new TV, and he also said that after 3 failed repairs they normally give a new TV.
So i will stay persistent.

Philips
01-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Dear all,

We've already replied that the issue is known and under investigation (see here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?3265-Flashing-ambilight-issue-when-3D-gaming-on-my-PS3&p=21178&viewfull=1#post21178)). We strive to have it solved in a future SW update. Please be patient. Tnx.

Regards,
JuAn

gallerian
01-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Hi all.I also have the same problem.Actually the first time I thought it was a thunder and looke outside if it was raining.Anyway this is a serious and annoying problem since this is a 3d tv which means that should offer an excellent 3d experience.This should happen in both gaming and movies but it happens only in movies.
So what all we gamers are supposed to do?I read the topic,it started on 19/11/2011 and today is 28/1/2012 and philips aks for us to be patient and that will fix it in a future sw update.Wrong philips, you should fix it in the NEXT sw update and this should be soon as the previous one was on 22/12/2012.You are already late and this is frustrating.
This tv differs from others because it's a passive 3d one and only lg has also passive 3d.So it is frustrating that 3d function has such a HUGE flow.I want 3d gaming as well as 3d movies.I cannot have this irritating flashing when I play.Please fix it soon because my patient is not big and I'll go to philis support Greece to claim a refund and then buy a lg tv.

morma
01-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm waiting for an exchange ass well

And for your information the 7000 series have LG screens, i saw the LG logo when the technician opened the TV. So you won't lose, it's the same Image quality, if i just knew this before:mad:.
I will never buy a philips product again

MrEdd
01-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

I've been hard at work for a while so I haven't been able to keep an eye on the thread or play any 3D games.

I just wanted to say how sorry I was for Morma - all the problems that you are having it is so wrong. Philips should be working overtime to solve this fault for you and everyone (including me) who purchased one of their faulty TV sets.

While Morma's "home brew" resolution has improved the experience for me and hopefully many others it is not a full and proper solution for a fault that should have never have left the Philips quality control test centre.

I am so very disappointed in Philips for the Product but especially for the way they are dealing with their customers who thought they were buying a working TV set.

Philips have sent me a customer survey about my purchase. I have filled it in truthfully and given them the opportunity to contact me directly and discuss the issues I and many others are having with their Product and their Customer Support Service. If they do indeed get in touch I will let you all know the outcome.

Kind regards.

Dyna
01-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Hi all,

@ Philips, I acknowledge and am glad to hear that you are working on solving this firmware issue.

For all others, here another step on my own trial to find the source of this issue:

Long story short:
- The issue seems to only appear when the TV receives other sound signals than stereo while 3D gaming. Set your gaming system to stereo sound, this seems to help for the time being until the problem is solved.

I were able to test it with a 42pdl7906k. As long as a 3D game is running, no matter if on xbox or ps3, and the TV is fed with a surround sound signal at the same time, the ambilight will go crazy. Seems the firmware just has a problem with the varying image data rate during game play, together with the 3D image and suround sound signal.

I were able to try check my assumption with several more philips systems of some acquaintances. And it was always the same result:
-> All sound signal but stereo makes the ambilight go crazy :P.
As the TVs themselves only offer 2 speakers, this should be the way to go for the time being.

@ gallerian: I agree with you. This issue should be fixed within the NEXT sw update and not an arbitrary future update.
It sounds like: yeah, maybe the problem will be solved within the next year,... we'll see.

Best regards,
D

morma
02-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys

Today i installed the new firmware Update 000.014.095.000 , the releases note said that the issue is solved, well solved is different.

The problem worsened on my TV.

So Philips what exactly where you doing, i really start to think that you're doing this on purpose.

Dyna
02-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Hi morma,

did you do a hard-restart of your tv after the update? (disconnect electricity for at least 3 minutes). Within an other topic in the forum, I've read that this is required for the update to work sufficiently.

Best regards,
D

morma
02-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Hi Dyna

After the update i disconnected the electricity for 20 min (had stuff to do), then i restarted the TV to test if the problem would still persist.
Like i said it worsened, it flashes oftener.

Regards, Morma

Philips
02-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Dear all,

To all customers that were/are complaining about "Flashing AmbiLight issue when 3D gaming on my PS3" (like Dyna, MrEdd, Galerian, etc): did the upgrade to SW version 14.95 solve the issue for you? Please fill in the poll (see top of page).
We need to know if others are helped by it, and if maybe there is only a single case left (which then probably has another cause). Thanks for your help.

Please only fill in the poll if you experienced this particular issue.

Regards,
JuAn

Yemmeth
02-08-2012, 02:52 PM
I thought the issue resolved during the first 30 seconds, but unfortunately even if it is reduced there is still persistent.

But since you come back to us today to see if the issue is resolved I do not despair that this rule one day.

And especially hoping not to be alone with morma to still have this problem:-p.

PS: sorry for my bad english with a translator ^^

Philips admin
02-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Dear all,

The outcome of the POLL showed clearly that the problem is not solved with SW 14.95. However, this seems only to affect the 7000-series. For the 8000 and 9000 series, the issue seems to be solved.
We have in the mean time escalated this (again) to development, so they will start to investigate the issue.

Best regards,
JuAn

Dyna
02-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Hello JuAn,

thank you for your reply and for the poll.
The issue with the ambilight never seemed to occur on any screen using 3D shutter technology.
Only those screens with passive 3D have the flashing ambilight problem. Thus, outside of the 7000 series, this issue could only appear with the cinema 21:9 Goldline if I'm right.
Another interesting aspect for me was, that the problem only occured to me when the 3D was active while the sound signal was not set to stereo 2.1 on the external device. As long as playing a 3D Game on the PS3 and limiting the sound output to 2.1, the flickering didn't appear. The systems I were able to use for verifying my assumption were 2 42PDL7906 systems. Don't know if this helps to solve the problem.

Best regards,
D

gallerian
02-14-2012, 08:47 PM
Hi guys. I had many works to do lately and I hadn't checked the forum till today. I didn't manage to participate to the poll but my answer for my 37PFL7606H/12 is too 'No: v14.95 did NOT solve the issue for me.' So still waiting...

@Dyna
Thanks for the answer I'll try to use your solution!

Karl
02-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Hi everyone!
My kid tried Gran Turismo and other game on PS3: we got ambilight flashing and no 3D.
He already use those games in 3D in a LG 3D TV set but I am not sure if that one uses 2D/3D conversion, anyway it was automatically selected.
I read that 42PFL7606H/12 do not switch automatically to frame packing but I could not find a way to do it manually either.
According to what I read here the announced 14.95 version seems to bring no gain to this model issues.
I select the internet upgrade via PTA01 wi-fi adapter but the answer was that there are no upgrades available.
My current version is Q5551-0.14.93.0 for TV550 R3
Should I force the 14.95 in?
Anything I can do before returning the thing to the store for a LG tv set? I bought it one week ago and like ambilight and the tv metal look but ...

Thanks for any help!

Farscape247
02-23-2012, 11:55 AM
same problem here on 42PFL7606T/12 and it is driving me nuts, xbox 360 and ps3 in 3D mode for gaming results in intermittent white flash from both ambilights even when ambilight is turned off. this needs sorting as i paid good money for this set for it not to work correctly, and why are the menu's so damned slow.

Karl
02-24-2012, 05:10 PM
same problem here on 42PFL7606T/12 and it is driving me nuts, xbox 360 and ps3 in 3D mode for gaming results in intermittent white flash from both ambilights even when ambilight is turned off. this needs sorting as i paid good money for this set for it not to work correctly, and why are the menu's so damned slow.

Hi
To stop flashing someone here said that we must switch the PS3 audio to basic stereo or so - haven´t tried yet.
But what do you do to see 3D with PS3 games?
I do not have a blueRay 3D player and PS3 only gave access to side by side or bottom/down 3d but none works. I have seen a side by side 3d movie in one of the Philips services but that is all.
This means I never saw a packing frame 3D video on this TV set.
(my kid tried Gran Turismo and something else I cannot remember w/no success)
Thanks in advance for any help!

morma
02-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Hi Karl,

first thing you have to redo the video settings on your PS3.
Display Settings->the video output setting->hdmi ->automatic->yes->TV size-> its done.

After this you have to enable the "3D Stereoscopic" function in the game-settings and to tell your Tv to simply switch to 3D

Regards Morma

Karl
02-26-2012, 02:02 AM
Thanks a lot it really solved the matter.
Anyway it is really very annoying to search all those menus (TV, PS3 and the game itself) just guessing how they will interact together.
I was almost giving up! Thanks a lot Morma!

Hi Karl,

first thing you have to redo the video settings on your PS3.
Display Settings->the video output setting->hdmi ->automatic->yes->TV size-> its done.

After this you have to enable the "3D Stereoscopic" function in the game-settings and to tell your Tv to simply switch to 3D

Regards Morma

Philips
03-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Hi ,

As said before, we are investigating the issue, but have problems to reproduce it in our lab. Please carefully read your PM where we ask for your feedback. We need to know your exact setup.

Thanks in advance for your efforts,
JuAn

Karl
03-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Hi JuAn
What is my PM? Philips Mailbox for this forum? it is empty.
My Primary Mail address? (on gmail) when did you send it?
Thankx in advance

Philips
03-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi JuAn
What is my PM? Philips Mailbox for this forum? it is empty.
My Primary Mail address? (on gmail) when did you send it?
Thankx in advance

Hi Karl,

PM means Personal Message, and is indeed your mailbox in this forum.
I did not send you the questionaire, as I supposed, reading your posts, you did not have this Flashing Ambilight issue. Or am I wrong? If you also experience this issue, let me know.

Regards,
JuAn

Karl
03-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Hi JuAn
I also have it, but it was not my primary issue since I could not find a way to switch to 3d to my kid ps3.
Before solving "solving" this main issue I switched the audio to simple stereo, as suggested here, and the flashing seems to become less often/annoying.
I will turn the 5.1 audio on again and try it again asap ... as audio should also be 3d ... but I do not have my kid at home in the very next days.

I select the internet upgrade via PTA01 wi-fi adapter but the answer was that there are no upgrades available.
My current version is Q5551-0.14.93.0 for TV550 R3
Should I force the 14.95 in?
According to what I read here the announced 14.95 version seems to bring no gain to this model issues.

Thanks again

Meddyb
03-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Hello All

I would looks to signal that I have the issue of flashing ambilight when
- watching 3d movies on my freebox ( French box player of Internet provider ) through vod when renting 3d movies
- watching 3d movies on my ps3
- playing 3d games on ps3 ( gt5, wipeout etc)
- activating dual view

My tv set is the 50pfl7956h 21:9

The problem is extremely disgusting and annoying for the whole family
I have the last firmware installed 93, and I would like the problem to be solved or my tv changed

Thank you

Dyna
03-15-2012, 07:57 AM
Hello JuAn,

About 2 weeks ago you've sent a PM to all active members of this thread regarding the reproduction of the ambilight issue. I would like to ask, if all the feedback you got was useful for getting a better insight into this problem. As I think that I'm not the only one who would be interested about the current status, i decided to send this message as a regular post instead of a PM, hope that's understandable.

Best regards,
D

Dyna
03-21-2012, 10:15 AM
About one week ago, I posted a request regarding the current status report on the ambilight issue. Still not a single reply by philips, neither here, nor via email or PM.

Also realized another problem with my tv which is not related to this issue here. Philips told me they will make a phonecall to me about my issue the same day. (Chat was 3 days ago).... They didn't call me.

I really must say, I'm really disappointed about philips although I WAS a big fan of the ambilight feature. Thought to fullfill myself a little wish, of a telly with ambilight feature.
But with all those disappointments, I certainly won't buy any further philips television and also have to think about boycotting any philips products. Be sure, already after the first two philips models which i were able to try and both having this problem (thou it was the same model)... If ambilight wouldn't be restricted to Philips only, I wouldn't even have bothered anymore to evaluate other possible Philips TV-Models.

I'm sorry, but all those firmware-issues on this forum, which aren't really solved, some even for YEARS. Then the bad service which I got and also read about here and elsewhere online.... this really no good advertising for your products.
When someone in my circle asks me about my opinion when planning to buy a philips tv, I can just recommend to go for a different brand. To be fair, I won't mention names here, but there are brands that offer good tvs, with hardly any problems, even good online features AND 3D!
I'm sorry, but this is just my honest statement regarding my own actual experience. Please don't blame me for my criticism but work on these issues to improve the quality of your products for the aim of satisfied customers and better advertising for yourself.

Best regards,
D

morma
03-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Hi Dyna,

i totally agree with you. I'm sick of this "support" so i've already taken measures, i talked to my retailer and he will give me a refund.
So next month, when the 2012 models of an certain Korean brand (LG) will be released, then i'm released of this pain.
So the retailer's gonna give me a new 2012 TV with the same options as the Philips TV, even a few more.

It's been 3 months now that i wait for a solution, they had 2 chances to fix the TV (i'm talking about the technicien who oppened the TV), several tries to solve it with firmware updates and to solve it over Phone and Internet (remote control over NetTv).

I don't want to wait 3 more months, because europeen law says that i have the right to return a defective product during the first 6 months following the purchase, i don't even have to bring any evidence of the defect. And the retailer has to give me a new product of the same value.

In my case i wanted a TV which is a little more expensive.

When the time limit of 6 month's over, then ive got to proof that the defect existed already since the 6 month period. If i cannot proof this, then they will not give me a refund but repair the product, unless the product is irreparable. Like i mentionned in a earlier post, i've spoked to the ULC (Union Luxembourgeoise des Consommateurs, the luxemburgish consumer protection) and they explained me my rights.

So even when it costs me more money, it will at least not cost me any more nerves .

So far

Morma

gallerian
03-22-2012, 10:49 AM
Hi Dyna and Morma,

Dyna I totally agree with you. Morma thank you for your usefull information regarding our rights. I bought the TV late January so I will wait a bit more for Philips to fix this HUGE MALFUNCTION. Otherwise I'll try to get a refund, buy an LG as you correctly mentioned and NEVER buy a philips product again as Dyna even more correctly mentioned as well.

Best Regards,
Gallerian

Dyna
03-30-2012, 12:54 PM
@ Philips:
I really must say, I'm highly disappointed about your customer-support here.....
What is the use of an official and "supported" forum, if you simply just ignore your customers.
I've requested if you could keep us updated about the current status with this issue and if the user-feedback was useful to you.
This is not a huge deal but would help to know if there is any hope that this issue will still be solved. (Honestly, just the plain fact that the issue hasn't been solved after about a half year is more than embarassing.).

As you are still answering to other issues, I honestly really wonder, if you deliberately ignore your customers.
Just as an information: Paying an amount over 1000€ for your tv and getting absolutely no feedback about an issue like this one is simply rude.

Philips
03-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Guys,

We do not delibarately ignore our customers. The fact with this issue is that we at first could not reproduce this behaviour in our lab, and therefore we contacted some of you directly via PM for additinal information. Some of you did indeed give us that feedback. Tnx for that!

Even after that, it was quite difficult to reproduce. In the meantime we have a clue where to look for the cause, unfortunately this will require to return the TV to a workshop for repair (cannot be solved by a customer SW upgrade).

However, before triggering this action, we first would like to get some additonal feedback from you: Please send us your TV model number and serialnumber (via PM !). This can be found on the rear sticker or via the CSM menu (key in "123654" on the remote control).

After your feedback, we will come with a final advise how to solve this. Tnx for your patience and cooperation.

Regards,
JuAn

Willou
04-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Hi everyone,
I found a solution for ambilight flashes during playing on PS3. The solution was given on a French Playstation forum by a user who called Phillips hotline.
Here is the solution that could resolve the problem:
(All describs actions are about the PS3)
Go to Audio parameters and into numeric audio output section: choose "dts 5.1", "dolby 5.1" and "aac"
save settings
Staying in audio parmeters, goto "mutiple audio outputs", choose "yes" and save.
That's all ;-)
I hope this'll resolve your problems with ambilght and PS3. That worked for me on a 42pfl7606h TV

vitkazu
04-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Mediaplayer Dune HD. Setup - Audio Section - Digital audio output mode - PCM. It Work!!! No flashing!!!

morma
04-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Hi Willou and Vitkazu

Well thank you for joining, but this if you read the thread from the beginning, you will see that we already know this "solution".
(I was even the first to discover it) But sometimes i still had the flashing, not to mention the other problems, which aren't connected to this problem.

But still thats not the right way to fix it, it has to be fixed on the TV itself.

Regards Morma

Nemesys
04-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Hi all!
I'm have same problem on my 42PFL7606H. I buy his in december, in russian federation.
I try use two different HDMI cable, cheap and expensive, but ambilight not work correctly in both cases.

Update v14.95 not help me in this problem.

I think, that Phillips can't solve this problem, differently it would be resolved long ago. Probably a problem "hardware", and the one method for resolving this problem - method from morma

keiooz
04-25-2012, 04:57 AM
Mediaplayer Dune HD. Setup - Audio Section - Digital audio output mode - PCM. It Work!!! No flashing!!!

Were you able to fix this problem by yourself? http://imagicon.info/cat/12-19/text-smiley.png

vitkazu
04-25-2012, 05:06 AM
yes, no flashing!

Philips
05-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Solution for flashing Ambilight in 3D mode.

Dear all,

As promised, I would notify you on the solution we have found for this issue.
If you want this to be solved, you must take the following steps:

1) Contact the Philips call centre in your country. Please start here (http://www.support.philips.com/support/catalog_selector.jsp) to find the right contact information: select your country and language, then on the support page, click on "Contact" (in upper right corner).

2) Inform the call centre that you have this "Flashing ambilight in 3D mode" issue, and that you've heard from the forum moderator (in close consultation with development) that there is a solution.
This solution means that your TV's small signal board (SSB) must be upgraded with new "Ambilight CPLD software". This can only be done by special workshops that have the correct tool.
If necessary you can refer to "Symptom/Cure" document "SCC_92185", that describes the repair instructions for these workshops.

3) The call centre agent will then advise you on the necessary actions: in some countries this can be handled by a home visit (where the engineer swaps this SSB at the consumers' home), in other countries this unfortunately means a Pickup & Return action, which means that your TV is away for some time (maybe you can negotiate a replacement set during the absence....).

This is the only way this problem can be solved!
As you all have 2011 TV models, I guess this is a guarantee issue.

Best regards,
JuAn.

PS. If any problems, please contact me via PM.

Toengel
05-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Hi,

thanks for this solution - I blogged it, so that German reader are knowing what to do!

Toengel@Alex

richfinch
05-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Solution for flashing Ambilight in 3D mode.

Dear all,

As promised, I would notify you on the solution we have found for this issue.
If you want this to be solved, you must take the following steps:

1) Contact the Philips call centre in your country. Please start here (http://www.support.philips.com/support/catalog_selector.jsp) to find the right contact information: select your country and language, then on the support page, click on "Contact" (in upper right corner).

2) Inform the call centre that you have this "Flashing ambilight in 3D mode" issue, and that you've heard from the forum moderator (in close consultation with development) that there is a solution.
This solution means that your TV's small signal board (SSB) must be upgraded with new "Ambilight CPLD software". This can only be done by special workshops that have the correct tool.
If necessary you can refer to "Symptom/Cure" document "SCC_92185", that describes the repair instructions for these workshops.

3) The call centre agent will then advise you on the necessary actions: in some countries this can be handled by a home visit (where the engineer swaps this SSB at the consumers' home), in other countries this unfortunately means a Pickup & Return action, which means that your TV is away for some time (maybe you can negotiate a replacement set during the absence....).

This is the only way this problem can be solved!
As you all have 2011 TV models, I guess this is a guarantee issue.

Best regards,
JuAn.

PS. If any problems, please contact me via PM.

Hi Everyone, just came across this thread after setting up my TV (47pfl7606T, with latest firmware) and playing some Gears of war 3 in 3D on the xbox and noticing that the ambilight flashed (white) every now and then.

Very disappointed to be reading all the posts.

But was just wondering has the problem been sorted by doing as the Philips guy says above?

Also was wondering if this problem exists with any other 3d content such as via a blu-ray player, as I haven't bought one yet to test it.

Thanks

arie
07-10-2012, 12:02 PM
Hi

I'm having the same problem as all of you posting here, model 42PFL7606H. Is anybody helped with the solution given by JuAn? The thread seems quiet so I'm hoping its solved...

thanks

reubels
03-09-2013, 05:40 PM
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_fSwk4r_Q1qWVh3M3l1WmlOa3M/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_fSwk4r_Q1qMTNoYi1WYzdsZWc/edit?usp=sharing

47PFL6704D/F7
flickers on HDMI input, flickering horizontal bars on component input (xbox 360)