PDA

View Full Version : JPG reading error?

starterz
11-29-2011, 09:01 PM
I am trying to use a 1920x1080 .jpg picture for the Scenea wallpaper, downloaded from Interfacelift.com . All pictures open with no problems on my PC. When I load them on a USB stick and plug the stick in my 40PFL6606H/12 (latest firmware), they show up as present on the USB media but all pictures give a "reading error" when trying to open any pic.

Example can be this one:

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/Da6e06a7/02731_orbital_1920x1080.jpg

Please help on how to solve this problem. I read the help, that the file needs to be less than 1MB, but this example is 561KB - so this should not be the problem.

Toengel
11-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Hi,

maybe there is a difference between progressive/non-progressive JPGs...

Toengel@Alex

matthias
11-30-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi, I think Toengel is right - I had a similar issue - Progressive JPGs are unfortunately not supported.

Try to open the JPG e.g. in Irfanview or any other Image application and save it as nonprogressive JPG (maybe a lossless save works too).

Matthias

starterz
11-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Thank for the quick feedback. It is very interesting how basic features need tweaking for them to work :-) I opened one file in Adobe Photoshop, save it as non progressive, progressive, and optimized JPG (3 separete files). I will check which ones work when I get home from work.

All best.

matthias
11-30-2011, 08:54 AM
It's good someone is actually looking into this.
And it's also good that you can provide examples where it doesn't work.
I didn't try Photoshop and "optimized". Please let us know your results :-)

I think this is the only way we can "help" Philips - give them an easy way to reproduce our problems, with example files, etc.
Then, if they decide to fix that/include that feature, they already have a set of files and instructions to give to the developers.

Matthias

Toengel
11-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Hi,

or they adapt the manual and write down, what is working and what's not...

Toengel@Alex

matthias
11-30-2011, 09:00 AM
of course, I hope for the first solution ;-)

Toengel
11-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi,

me, too ;-)

Toengel@Alex

starterz
12-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Thank for the quick feedback. It is very interesting how basic features need tweaking for them to work :-) I opened one file in Adobe Photoshop, save it as non progressive, progressive, and optimized JPG (3 separete files). I will check which ones work when I get home from work.

All best.

OK, results are here :-) Out of three JPG files (same picture, 90% quality) saved in AdobePhotoshop CS5 (Non-progressive, Optimized, Progressive), ONLY the progressive JPG does not open on my 40PFL6606H/12. So I saved my new scenea wallpaper from the "optimized" version of the file. But this is tricky business, to have to create a trial-and-error experiment to find the correct version :-)

To anyone from Philips, is this by design or something that can hopefully be resolved?