PDA

View Full Version : BDP9600 - Audio CD's - occasional drop-outs

paul_delabastita
11-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Dear Philips,

I own a BDP9600 blu-ray player (firmware version 1.56) which I also use for listening to audio-CD's (through the HDMI output).

Unfortunately I experience occasional short drop outs (about 3 to 5 times/hour) when listening to the audio CD's. The drop outs have "the character" of an operating system that sometimes hicks up. They are not related to the CD or to a specific track on such a CD.

Even though I highly appreciate the exceptional sound quality and functionality of the player, these "hick ups" are actually a step backward from the older "dumb" devices to play CD's. So it would be nice if this problem was to be resolved in a next firmware upgrade.

Kind regards - Paul

Toengel
11-30-2011, 11:17 AM
Hi,

to which device do you connect your BDP to? And how?

Toengel@Alex

paul_delabastita
11-30-2011, 11:37 AM
The BDP9600 player is connected to a Pioneer 5090H television through HDMI. Other services (DLNA, digibox) do not exhibit the mentioned drop outs.

Toengel
11-30-2011, 11:46 AM
Hi,

can you test another HDMI cable? Maybe also analog cinch out?

Toengel@Alex

paul_delabastita
11-30-2011, 11:58 AM
I will test both the alternative HDMI cable and the CINCH option and let you know about the result.

Most kind regards - Paul

kwinnie
12-01-2011, 05:58 AM
seems to me that there is 1.60 FW, would you like to try?

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/blu-ray-dvd/9000-series-qdeo-ti-burr-brown-dacs-3d-playback-bdp9600_12/prd/?t=support

if you perform USB upgrade, please be reminded to take out a disc

paul_delabastita
01-02-2012, 12:24 PM
I did some additional research on this topic. Different tests (switching HDMI cables or inputs, trying different audio-sources such as audio-CD, DVD, blu-ray, DLNA streaming) consistently pointed to a defect of the HDMI controller of the blu-ray player. I noticed that the problem only occurs after the player has been on for 20-25 minutes. After such a period, the bottom of the player gets very hot near the HDMI connector. It is my current assumption that this high temperature causes the HDMI controller to fail. Whether or not the problem I am reporting is specific to my own player is unknown. I have returned my player to Philips and am waiting to find out if the player can be repaired. I recommend other owners of the same player to check if they have a similar problem. It could be a design problem. Kind regards - Paul

paul_delabastita
01-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Upgrading the firmware to version 1.61 did not solve the problem.

kwinnie
01-03-2012, 09:23 AM
yes, maybe we can hv a try... :)
if then we cannot reproduce issue, guess that will be a hardware issue and it may need to visit service.

it's just any audio cds right? 20-25 mins?

paul_delabastita
01-03-2012, 10:41 AM
yes, maybe we can hv a try... :)
if then we cannot reproduce issue, guess that will be a hardware issue and it may need to visit service.

it's just any audio cds right? 20-25 mins?

Dear Kwinnie, if your apparatus would have the same problem as mine, any audio source (including audio-CD, DVD, DLNA streaming, etc) would exhibit the drop-outs in the HDMI audio channel after 25 minutes of playing.

paul_delabastita
02-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Dear kwinnie, have been able to reproduce the problem? My apparatus went into service and "they found nothing wrong". These intermittent problems can be frustrating indeed.