PDA

View Full Version : My experience with 3D so far

V4Friend
12-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Hello all,

I have bought a Philips TV (42PFL7676H) over a week ago (firmware = Q5551-0.14.76.0) and so far I really like it. The HD-picture quality is really great and the TV looks fine, even when it's OFF.

Since it's also a 3D TV, I want to play 3D content with it. That seems to be more difficult than expected: there are quite a few mountains to climb...

Somewhere in the 3D forum I found the link to the Huberbuam movie (http://www.huberbuam.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/7/0,1872,8352935,00.html) from ZDF and I decided to start with that (I don't have a Bluray device and Ziggo does not have the 3D test-channel any more). I downloaded the 12 MBit version of the movie, because the downloaded manual states, that a bit rate of 20 MBit is supported for MP4 files :

I put the movie on an USB-stick and tried to play it: the screen goes black after a few seconds and then returns to the menu... I then tried streaming the movie with Twonky, but that gives the same disappointing result. Then I downloaded the 5MBit file: it plays! Even through Twonky. One remark: the TV does not recognize the MP4 as being 3D. I have to manually set it to 3D side-by-side.

Then I decided to try a bigger movie (> 4GB), but that does not play either. Unless I split the movie into 2 smaller parts.
There is another matter: I want to add subtitles to the movie (my kids don't understand English yet). I have tried streaming the subtitles, but that does not work. When the .srt file is on the USB-stick it does work. Only problem being that I have to split the .srt file too, when the movie exceeds 4 GB...

So I have the following questions:

What does the 20MBit in the table mean?
Why can't the TV play files that exceed 4 GB?
Why do I have to switch to 3D manually?
The list showing the files on USB seems to support thumbnails, but I don't see any. How does that work?
When I have played a movie halfway and stop, how can I browse to that point when I want to view the rest?

Thanks for any meaningful answers...

BTW: I use Xilisoft HD converter to get the right file-format. Very handy!

matthias
12-04-2011, 06:48 PM
I didn't have problems so far with files > 4GB - maybe it's an unsupported Codec?

How do you split your files? If you re-encode them while splitting, that may be the reason why "smaller files" play. In that case, don't split it - just re-encode it. Maybe this helps.

With the 12Mbit Huberbuam documentary, I had the same issues. I think it has something todo with the Left/Right Lead-In. What worked for me was to remux that mp4 to mkv (using mkvtoolnix). (no reencodig - just remuxing). After that, it worked. So maybe there is a defect frame in the original mp4, which crashes the Philips player, but the remuxing fixed that issue.

On how to continue or quickly jump to a position in the file, I agree - this is something I'm missing, too.

V4Friend
12-05-2011, 09:31 PM
Hello Matthias,

I guess the TV is a bit picky when it comes to MP4. You are right: after remuxing the Huberbuam 12MBit file it plays (using Twonky).

Then of course I also tried the 6GB film I was talking about. First time around I had tried to play an MP4 conversion of it, from USB. Now I tried the original MKV and "By Jolly!": it plays!

Now for a new challenge: I would like to stream a .SRT file along with it. So I used mkvmerge to add the .SRT to the MKV (it conveniently recognizes the .SRT as 'type subtitle'). Alas: when I stream it to the TV, I see nothing. The subtitle button on my remote does not even activate the On Screen Menu (like it does when the .SRT is in the same folder on USB).

So (along with the other questions from my first post) a new question: can the TV show subtitles that are in the MKV? That would really come in handy...

V4Friend
12-28-2011, 09:50 PM
The biggest issue that bugs me most: the lack of DTS support. Files with DTS-audio don't even show video... Please Philips: add DTS-support?

rik da red
12-31-2011, 12:47 AM
Hey can anyone explain that when i convert a file using xilisoft video converter the file does not play smoothly? its like its stuttering slightly.

Manuel
12-31-2011, 01:45 AM
Try this program:

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

Or this:

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Hey can anyone explain that when i convert a file using xilisoft video converter the file does not play smoothly? its like its stuttering slightly.

netdata
12-31-2011, 09:44 AM
What I do is,
If I have a mkv file with DTS sound embedded inside I extract the DTS track and convert it to AAC and import it again in an mkv file.
Since you only recode the DTS to AAC it only takes a half hour on my PC.
This is the script I use:

cat convert-dts-to-aac

#!/bin/bash

find . -type f | grep .mkv$ | while read file
do
directory=`dirname "$file"`
title=`basename "$file" .mkv`
echo " [i] Found ${file}"
AC3=`mkvinfo "$file" | grep AC3` #check if it's AC3 audio or DTS
AAC=`mkvinfo "$file" | grep AAC`
order=`mkvinfo "$file" | grep "Track type" | sed 's/.*://' | head -n 1 | tr -d " "` #check if the video track is first or the audio track

if [ "$order" = "video" ]; then
echo " [i] First track seems to be an Video file, searching for audio"
fps=`mkvinfo "$file" | grep duration | sed 's/.*(//' | sed 's/f.*//' | head -n 1` #store the fps of the video track
if [ -n "$AC3" ]; then
echo " [i] Found AC3 audio, need to convert to aac"
mkvextract tracks "$file" 1:"${title}".264 2:"${title}".ac3
ffmpeg -i "${title}".ac3 -acodec libfaac -ab 576k "${title}".aac
elif [ -n "$AAC" ]; then
echo " [i] Found already AAC audio, nothin todo here"
continue
else
echo " [i] Found DTS audio, need to convert to aac"
#mkvextract tracks "$file" 1:"${title}".264 2:"${title}".dts
mkvextract tracks "$file" 2:"${title}".dts
ffmpeg -i "${title}".dts -acodec libfaac -ab 576k "${title}".aac
fi
else
echo " [i] First track seems to be an audio file, searching"
fps=`mkvinfo "$file" | grep duration | sed 's/.*(//' | sed 's/f.*//' | tail -n 1`
if [ -n "$AC3" ]; then
echo " [i] Found AC3 audio, need to convert to aac"
mkvextract tracks "$file" 1:"${title}".ac3 2:"${title}".264
ffmpeg -i "${title}".ac3 -acodec libfaac -ab 576k "${title}".aac
elif [ -n "$AAC" ]; then
echo " [i] Found already AAC audio, nothin todo here"
break
else
echo " [i] Found DTS audio, need to convert to aac"
mkvextract tracks "$file" 1:"${title}".dts 2:"${title}".264
ffmpeg -i "${title}".dts -acodec libfaac -ab 576k "${title}".aac
fi
fi

mkvmerge --output-charset UTF-8 -o "${directory}/${title}"_aac.mkv --default-track 1:yes --forced-track 1:no -d 1 -A ${file} --forced-track 0:no -a 0 -D "${title}".aac --track-order 0:1,1:0

rm -f "$title".aac "$title".dts "$title".ac3 "$title".264 "${title}".wav
done

rik da red
12-31-2011, 07:30 PM
Try this program:

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

Or this:

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Hey thanks for the link, they work a treat. While i can play them as 3d on my tv its just that when theres something fast happening on the video it seems a bit pixely if you know what i mean. Any ideas on what to tweak to get smoothest picture?

ciuley
01-08-2012, 05:52 PM
in this tv how adjust 3d deep ?i plat blueray from pc and the image just like a window the object don;t exit like at cinema

monicaB
01-09-2012, 07:36 AM
It was a great experience.

netdata
01-09-2012, 06:04 PM
in this tv how adjust 3d deep ?i plat blueray from pc and the image just like a window the object don;t exit like at cinema

Maybe it is better to use google translate and write your question in your native language since I really do not understand what you are saying here.

But my guess is that you are wondering why 3D seems to go in the depth and some cinema's / movies are showing 3D which pops out.

netdata
01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
it seems a bit pixely if you know what i mean. Any ideas on what to tweak to get smoothest picture?

This is "normal"
This is because of 2 reasons.

When you watch your movie in SBS mode you loose 50% from the horizontal lines (Which in this case are very important since I guess your movement is from left to right or right to left)

Secondly the TV splits also the vertical resolution

This means that each eye get 960x540 which is a comparable with PAL resolution.
Although most people do not experience the half vertical resolution since our brains glue both resolutions together to receive a full 1080

ciuley
01-09-2012, 06:19 PM
I mean movies in 3D on this tv, the image does not come out like a movie at
cinema where the object it seems to jump out the screen, I was thinking that you can adjust the 3d depth to exterior or interior, now seen as you look through a window
i use acrsoft total media player ,i tryed to use the tv integrat player ...no changhe .not working

netdata
01-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I guess this has 2 reasons, first nearly all 3D movies I have seen in the cinema are recorded in depth.
So that is reason one

I have some demo 3D movies in my network which can pop out, but because of the relative small screen (compaired with a cinema screen ) the effect is not that big.

I think it is just a matter on how the 3D was rendered when creating the movie

ciuley
01-09-2012, 06:33 PM
i think this is the answer for this problem ,,,tnks.No way to adjust this like a lg tv ?

netdata
01-09-2012, 06:36 PM
I didn't find it so I think it is not possible.

I don't know if it is technically possible to change this since this is really embedded in the video how objects should be displayed.

Most 3D games allow you to set the depth, and that is because it is rendered on the fly

driss_himdi
01-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Here's one tip on how to get less cross-talk (ghosting):

Raise the Gamma level on TV (also from the source material if available)
The more Brightness/Gamma you have the less cross-talk will you experience...

Try this in different ways and share with us how it went, good luck and God speed!

At least from my experience it doesn't solve cross-talk 100% but it's very effective!