PDA

View Full Version : No connection to mediaserver after update

Zzorro
12-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Hello,
after updating NP3900 online today I get no connect to my UPnP Mediaserver (AVM Fritz!Box 7390). (No Server available message) Internet connect via same AVM-Box is no problem, radio is playing :rolleyes:. Before update mediaserver was connected without any problems.

Any ideas??

Best regards
Alex

fromsomewhere
12-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Hi

I use NP 3900 and luckily it keeps reading my NAS after yesterdays FW. Did you try rebooting /restarting your server & NP 3900 again? It is bad if it was working well earlier & now stops working. I hope Philips guys are reading.

Blechtrottel
12-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Well, I think the unit behaves the same as before with the old SW G5.32S. Sometimes it doesn't find any uPnP server. Then you reboot the unit (e.g. via ECO-STANDBY) and all the uPnP servers are listed ...

Didn't find the logic tough ...

yggo0815
12-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Hello,

I am having the same Problem, after updating my NP3900 to Version G5.58S, it does no longer find the UPNP server, running on my QNAP TS-219P+. Before the update I never had a problem with this.
I also have a NP2900 which is working fine with the streaming server all the time.
I tried a lot of things: reboot the media server, restarted the NP3900, reset the NP3900 to factory default settings, unplugged the NP3900 for a longer period an started it again.
Nothing helped ! It still does not find the server.

Funny enough, when I start my media PC, which is in the same network, the NP3900 suddenly finds the media server and I can play music. When I switch off the PC, the NP3900 keeps playing the selected music from the server, but when I reenter the media library, it does no longer find the server.

So I have no idea about how to fix the problem, but I can confirm the faulty behaviour.

I am happy about any suggestions.

Greetings,

Yggo

felix19
12-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Same problem here. I am running the newest twonky version on AVM Fritzbox 7390. Since I updated to the recent firmware, it does not recognize the twonky server. Tried rebuilding the database and everything, it does not help. My NP2900 still recognizes the server as always.

Apparently, the firmware does not get tested before it is released... A similar thing happened earlier this year with a faulty NP2900 update that constantly froze the unit.

Alex, you use the same devices I use. Does your NP3900 also not display folder.jpg cover art? Mine only displays covers that are withing mp3 tags, but not covers that are stored in the folders as folder.jpg. It shows the thumbnail in folder view but does not display the cover when I start the tracks... By the way I am from Hessen too. :)

Well, at least I can still return the unit until 31st January because of the amazon christmas return special...

Kind regards

Felix

sternecaugek
12-12-2011, 09:23 PM
I only received & put in service my NP3900/12 ten days ago, at first I was astonished by the concept & impressed by the sound quality, after yesterday's update (Dec 11th 2011) I am absolutely staggered to discover that I no longer have access to my mediaserver ! I have reserched updates for corrections, but there are none. I have rebooted the equipment - no change.
Do Philips technicians not test their "patches/updates" before they implement them ? This is an amazingly unprofessional way to proceed. Please Philips correct these mistakes asap !!!!

Zzorro
12-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi,
I can confirm the ugly workaround described by yggo0815. I installed the Twonky Server delivered with the NP on a virtual PC in my network and the NP instantly detected both media servers, the Twonky and the AVM Fritz!Box-Mediaserver with my music collection.
Shutting down the virtual PC has no effect, the NP kept the settings until the next reboot.
Then I deleted the Twonky from the PC and rebooted the NP and -bingo-, no Mediaserver found at all...

So the failure should be easily reproducable by the Philips support ...

I'm in contact with the Philips support and will keep you informed!

Alex

k1200rs
12-13-2011, 12:34 AM
I just performed the update and it is working fine, it finds my Twonky server on W7 PC,I am not using the Philips version, I bought a standard Twonky version (that maybe the issue, try it with a standard Twonky version).
I agree with everyone about the lack or poor testing performed, the Hw is the best though.

k1200rs
12-13-2011, 01:05 AM
Well, I think the unit behaves the same as before with the old SW G5.32S. Sometimes it doesn't find any uPnP server. Then you reboot the unit (e.g. via ECO-STANDBY) and all the uPnP servers are listed ...

Didn't find the logic tough ...

Agree, I also faced that with previous version. There is a upnp discovery implementation issue, funny to note that in many respects the NP2x00 behave better than the NP3x00 including with a Android control point (such as Twonky mobile ).
Another example, if you remove a upnp server from your LAN, the NP2x00 see it within few secs whilst the NP3900 does not detect it at all..

Philips - QK
12-13-2011, 06:17 AM
Dear users,

Thanks for reporting this issue to us.
We would like to assure you that we are now looking into this.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. We will update you on the issues as soon as we have more concrete information.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

k1200rs
12-13-2011, 01:07 PM
THANKS Gary, you do not have an easy job and we appreciate your support.

lucas1970
12-13-2011, 01:10 PM
QK you mean :D

jdthood
12-13-2011, 06:12 PM
With the latest firmware (V G5.58S) my NP3900/12 no longer detects my Synology DS111 NAS when operated using the handheld remote control.

The NP3900 and the NAS are on the same subnet; it's not a routing issue.

The NP3900 could see the NAS before the firmware upgrade.

Furthermore Philips MyRemote running on a Samsung I9000 (Galaxy S) Android smartphone often has trouble detecting or communicating with the NP3900.

Interestingly, UPnP apps such as UPnPlay and BubbleUPnP running on the same smartphone have no difficulty seeing the NP3900.

After one of these apps has connected, it seems that it is sometimes easier to connect from MyRemote.

And most interesting of all, when Media Library is selected in MyRemote then the Synology NAS always appears! Music can be played from it on the NP3900, etc., without any problem.

Whereas with the old firmware third-party apps could hardly be used with the NP3900, now the NP3900 is almost useless without third-party apps!

While I still appreciate the fact that this forum is provided, that Philips personnel are active here and that we do get firmware updates, I do have to agree with the earlier comment that firmware releases have to be subjected to more thorough testing. That "Online services" was added to the main menu with deviant capitalization is another sign that releases are not being subjected to adequate review.
--
Thomas Hood

sternecaugek
12-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Picking up on an earlier comment, I tried to bypass the current stalemate this evening by installing the free trial version of Twonky Manager (v 2.0.9.49) , in place of the Philips-customised Twonky Media Player supplied with the NP3900/12, but alas! it doesn't even "see" the NP3900/12 on the network. The Twonky MediaPlayer "saw" the NP3900/12, but in both cases, the NP3900/12 doesn't see the uPnP server. How long before Philips supplies a fix for this problem, which, after all, they have created for us ?

maykrlp
12-15-2011, 05:47 PM
Same problem here:

No media server is found (Synology DS410) after last update (a few days ago). When I start my windows 7 computer then my NP3900 finds both media servers. If I shutdown my computer all media servers disappear.

I think it is really strange that if I use philips remote app for android my media server is found without any problem although my windows pc is not running at all. I see my media server, can control it via android app and can play music from my upnp server!
If I select media library on my NP3900 nothing is found! Even if music is still playing (started by android app).

This should be fixed asap. Solution shouldn't be too hard to find.

yggo0815
12-16-2011, 09:47 AM
To be honest, I start to get a bit upset ! My NP3900 is useless for me without connection to the media server.
Philips, why don't you just revert to the old firmware so that our devices get functional again, and sort out the problem with the new firmware without letting us wait for the solution ???

Greetings,

yggo0815

jdthood
12-16-2011, 09:55 AM
My NP3900 is useless for me without connection to the media server.

While we wait for another firmware update we need to find good workarounds.

One workaround I found is to use the DLNA music player on the NAS itself. Via the latter's web interface I can select tracks. The NAS can see the NP3900 and play music to it.
--
Thomas Hood

sternecaugek
12-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Sorry Thomas, but I don't have a NAS, just a PC, so I am stuck, until Philips either reverts to the previous firmware or provides new firmware which works. (Already I am irritated by the Spotify advertisement, and have you noticed Spotify requires a Facebook account (which I don't have nor want) as a prerequisite - is this legal ?) ... but I digress.
Please Philips fix this NP3900 firmware bug, or at least give us a target date for the fix.

pepyobo
12-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Hi Sternecaugek,

the fact that you need a Facebook account is a limitation from Spotify itself not Philips; that should be the least of your pbm; the real limitation here is that you need a Premium account of Spotify to use it with Philips devices...

regarding you server issue i would advise you to use a media server allowing you to use "Push" instead of using "Pull" (From the device itself...)... i had the same issue with my unit today and by using
"Push" with Twonky it works the same as before.... ;)

Cheers

yggo0815
12-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Hi pepyobo,

"Push" with Twonky works ? Does it mean, that I need a running PC with the Twonky-Server to select a mp3-file for being played on the NP 3900 ?
I don't want a separate PC running all the time, besides, as I stated above, with my PC running, I can access the Twonky-Server anyway. But the running PC is annoying !

@Thomas: It seems to me that there is no good workaround apart from going back to the old firmware.

Greetings,

yggo0815

Shane
12-17-2011, 04:23 PM
The drive is running Twonky Server 6.0.32

jdthood
12-20-2011, 05:02 PM
One workaround I found is to use the DLNA music player on the NAS itself. Via the latter's web interface I can select tracks. The NAS can see the NP3900 and play music to it.
--
Thomas Hood

The suggested workaround doesn't really, erm, work. Playing a smart playlist from Synology Audio Station to the NP3900 does not work reliably. Tracks get cut off half way through, etc.

So the NP3900 really only works for me as an Internet Radio or iPhone docking station. Operated with the handheld remote control only.
--
Thomas

Martyn
12-21-2011, 12:13 PM
I have just taken receipt of a NP3900/12 with all the usual excitement of something new technologically. In two days time I will be having an upgraded BT Infinity Broadband connection so that as soon as Xmas is over I was looking forward to the peace and quiet to install the NP3900/12.
However, reading in advance the info on this forum and the problems users are experiencing is it wise for me do the "check for software updates" during setup as suggested in the documentation supplied with unit?

Dear users,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. We will update you on the issues as soon as we have more concrete information.

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

jdthood
12-21-2011, 12:34 PM
Try to avoid upgrading the firmware at this time if you plan to play music from a server. Only upgrade if you would like to play from Spotify.
--
Thomas

k1200rs
12-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Personally and I do not understand why, I do not experience this problem...but in light of what many others report, I would certainly not load the last version.
I guess many people will receive / buy a NP3900 at the end of the year, it will be quite interesting to see the reactions when they discover they cannot reach their music server...
Otherwise, I just love the player for its Hardware, its Sound and for the great user community in this forum :)

Martyn
12-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for your prompt response - first time I've done anything like this!!

I will only be connecting wirelessly via a Microsoft OS PC to play music from the hard disk and of course Internet radio wirelessly through the BT Hub. Should that be OK?

jdthood
12-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Internet radio should work either with the old or with the new firmware. People have reported problems with Wi-Fi reception. People have reported that the NP3900 can't connect to the Internet through some routers with some settings. But there are workarounds for these problems.

Connecting to Windows Media Player might not work at all with the new firmware. (For me it didn't work with the old firmware either, but perhaps that's a problem with my Windows configuration.) I haven't heard of any reasonable reliable workarounds for this.

Stay with the old firmware until you hear here about a new firmware release.
--
Thomas

sternecaugek
12-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Dear users,

Kind regards,
Philips Moderation Team

Hi there Mr Philips, do you have a projected date for the availability of the fix ? I guess it is two weeks since the problem was created by Philips & reported by your customers. Thanks in advance,

Martyn
12-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Internet radio should work either with the old or with the new firmware. People have reported problems with Wi-Fi reception. People have reported that the NP3900 can't connect to the Internet through some routers with some settings. But there are workarounds for these problems.

Connecting to Windows Media Player might not work at all with the new firmware. (For me it didn't work with the old firmware either, but perhaps that's a problem with my Windows configuration.) I haven't heard of any reasonable reliable workarounds for this.

Stay with the old firmware until you hear here about a new firmware release.
--
Thomas

Thanks again! So when I plug in and set the thing up in accordance with the instructions I will not press anything that says 'check for software updates'. If Philips and/or their suppliers can make such a lash-up of it are they likely to tell me when they do have a have a fix. It would seem in the meantime that a number of people have, for the time being, an expensive ornament costing several hundred pounds!

Martyn

sternecaugek
12-21-2011, 08:13 PM
No, the internet radio works fine, so it's more than an expensive ornament, but I am really looking forward to getting the Philips sw fix to allow me to use the media server function again.

Martyn
12-21-2011, 08:54 PM
Thanks for your input 'sternecaugek',

Sorry to be dim but what is Philips sw? However, it was really for the music streaming from my pc that I bought this equipment.

Martyn

No, the internet radio works fine, so it's more than an expensive ornament, but I am really looking forward to getting the Philips sw fix to allow me to use the media server function again.

fromsomewhere
12-22-2011, 09:46 AM
Hi Martyn,

Looks like NP 3900 has a new FW now. Did you test with the new FW?

k1200rs
12-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Just tested the new FW, seems working fine. I did not test it with Android control Point though.

Martyn
12-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Hi Martyn,

Looks like NP 3900 has a new FW now. Did you test with the new FW?

Hi 'fromsomewhere',

I have only just taken delivery of my NP3900 and as I mentioned in my previous postings I will be using the time between Xmas and new year to set it up with a new broadband hub. It was reading some of the comments on this thread that had me worried in advance of trying anything!

Reading your response and that from 'k1200rs' does it now mean that if I do check for software updates during installation next week I won't make the software worse than how it is originally? Let's face it, that is the problem of others who wish they hadn't updated. Has Philips confirmed that they have corrected the software/firmware if so I can't see where they have posted that on this forum. Has anyone any thoughts?

By the way I agree with a previous correspondent - I find the people on here genuine and helpful. Over the last couple of days I feel as though I made some friends!

Martyn

jdthood
12-22-2011, 05:48 PM
[...]If I do check for software updates during installation next week I won't make the software worse than how it is originally?

New firmware with version number "V G5.59S" was released today. I installed it and the NP3900 now detects my Synology DS111 NAS and can play music from it.

So I would say that there is no longer a reason for you to avoid updating the firmware when you set up your NP3900 next week.

Thanks to the Philips firmware programmers for getting this fix out before the holidays!
--
Thomas

Martyn
12-22-2011, 06:07 PM
New firmware with version number "V G5.59S" was released today. I installed it and the NP3900 now detects my Synology DS111 NAS and can play music from it.

So I would say that there is no longer a reason for you to avoid updating the firmware when you set up your NP3900 next week.

Thanks to the Philips firmware programmers for getting this fix out before the holidays!
--
Thomas

Thanks for confirmation 'jdthood'. I can now look forward to a trouble-free installation after Xmas! I'll let you know how it goes (that's if you can stand any more missives from me!)

Thank you to the Philips programmers and have a great Xmas everybody!

Martyn

sternecaugek
12-23-2011, 10:46 AM
I agree Thomas, the problem seems to have been fixed with the new software/firmware. (Keep my fingers crossed that some fool doesn't unwittingly reinsert the code that caused the malfunctioning...) For me, this issue is closed, thank you Philips.

Martyn
12-27-2011, 06:52 PM
Thanks for confirmation 'jdthood'. I can now look forward to a trouble-free installation after Xmas! I'll let you know how it goes (that's if you can stand any more missives from me!)

Thank you to the Philips programmers and have a great Xmas everybody!

Martyn

OK I've spent 4 hours and I have the internet radio working! I have updated the software when requested but I cannot load the the supplied software on the tiny CD! Is this part and parcel of the problem that contributors on this forum have been mentioning which I was told had been resolved? Unless I'm being stupid I have found thid whole experience disgraceful. The download manual doesn't agree with what actually happens or in the sequence in which it should happen. I tried various ways round and got the internet radio working in the end which sounds very good but why oh WHY is the link through the wi-fi to the media stored on my PC so damn difficult? I've done everything in accordance with the manual but even the Twonky (very aptly named if your slang English is good enough!) won't load even after answering surveys, giving the registration of the unit which Philips don't recognise and on and on and on...........

Not that I expect any help from Philips as they already have my money but is there any other helpful souls out thre such as jdthood?

Martyn

k1200rs
12-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Martyn,

The Twonky application is a server / manager that let you stream music from your PC to your NP3900 (or any other DLNA certified player).
You can either load a Philips customized version (you can activate with the Philips key) of Twonky server from the CD or from the Philips site.

Have you seen this:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/faqview?refnr=0073533&ctn=NP2900/37&dct=QAC&scy=gb&slg=eng

It is for the NP2900 but it is the same for the NP3900.

As an alternative or to get a full and newest version of Twonky manager, you can try and then purchase it from here: http://www.twonky.com/fbtrial/default.aspx

Twonky manager includes Twonky server and allows more features (push of music, etc.).

I did the latter, never used the ('free') Philips provided version.

Francis

Martyn
12-27-2011, 09:37 PM
Martyn,

The Twonky application is a server / manager that let you stream music from your PC to your NP3900 (or any other DLNA certified player).
You can either load a Philips customized version (you can activate with the Philips key) of Twonky server from the CD or from the Philips site.

Have you seen this:
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/faqview?refnr=0073533&ctn=NP2900/37&dct=QAC&scy=gb&slg=eng

It is for the NP2900 but it is the same for the NP3900.

As an alternative or to get a full and newest version of Twonky manager, you can try and then purchase it from here: http://www.twonky.com/fbtrial/default.aspx

Twonky manager includes Twonky server and allows more features (push of music, etc.).

I did the latter, never used the ('free') Philips provided version.

Francis

Thanks Francis,

I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know what happens. If I carry on tonight I'm in great danger of throwing everything into the garden and suing Philips!

I'm just so disgusted with Philips that they can produce something of this type with such poor documentation (almost none regarding the loading of the Twonky software) and support. I just cannot understand why their supplied software doesn't work. Why not? I have Windows 7, an Intel i5 processor etc? No suggestion from Philips or Amazon that you have to BUY EXTRA software to make it all work in line with their hype!

Martyn

Blechtrottel
12-29-2011, 01:05 AM
Hi.

You can use WIN-7 and its WMP12 mediaplayer and stream to the Philips device. Just use the right click mouse menu (e.g. in Windows Explorer) and indicate "PLAY TO". In some Windows installations the "uPnP/DLNA" sharing / detection is turned off by default (so might take you few clicks to get it working).

In general the Windows Mediaplayer is rather buggy / unstable. I've tried it few times and then gave up. With the Philips bypacked Twonky I never had issues so far.

I do agree with anyone that the installer of Philips is rather "silly". You can't follow the normal logic of clicking "next", "next", ... In that FLASH player thing you've to specifically push on the button "INSTALL TWONKY" !

Good luck ...

:rolleyes:

Martyn
12-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Hi.

You can use WIN-7 and its WMP12 mediaplayer and stream to the Philips device. Just use the right click mouse menu (e.g. in Windows Explorer) and indicate "PLAY TO". In some Windows installations the "uPnP/DLNA" sharing / detection is turned off by default (so might take you few clicks to get it working).

In general the Windows Mediaplayer is rather buggy / unstable. I've tried it few times and then gave up. With the Philips bypacked Twonky I never had issues so far.

I do agree with anyone that the installer of Philips is rather "silly". You can't follow the normal logic of clicking "next", "next", ... In that FLASH player thing you've to specifically push on the button "INSTALL TWONKY" !

Good luck ...

:rolleyes:

My NP3900/12 didn't ended up in my garden thanks to a very helpful chap at Philips Customer Support. The problem is that when you insert the Philips 'mini' Twonky DVD autoplay takes you straight to the Philips registration site and, try what you might, not into Twonky installation. This has to be done via Windows Explorer (file manager) and using the installation 'fscommand' folder. This is obviously an error in the creation of the DVD - pity its got the Philip's logo all over it!

So now it all seems to be functioning and all I have to is work out how to get the Twonky player to play all the tracks I've dragged to the Create Playlist! Still here we go again - wouldn't it be nice to have a decent manual/!

Martyn

sternecaugek
12-31-2011, 06:42 PM
After the "V G5.59S" FW release a week ago, my NP3900 at last found the Twonky MediaServer, & I enjoyed streaming music from my PC … for 2 or 3 days, since when, in spite of multiple hard boots of both PC & NP3900, the MediaServer is again invisible. The weak links in my setup are a) I need a powered-up PC (WinXP, SP-3), b) my PC is connected to the network via an 802.11n PCI card. However, the NP3900 is Ethernet-cable connected. After reviewing all the posts, I am reluctant to invest 200€ + in a NAS server, and but am unsure of best strategy to attack the problem. Lastly, when the main PC is switched off, why does the NP3900 not “see” the Twonky MediaServer I also installed in parallel on an Ethernet-connected Netbook at the other end of the house? Thanks in advance for any educated advice 

fromsomewhere
01-03-2012, 12:23 AM
Hi

Not sure what you mean by when the main PC is switched off, NP 3900 does not see the twonky? Pls note that the PC must be running to have access to the twonky server & the content on the PC. You cannot switch off the PC.

sternecaugek
01-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Hi "fromsomewhere"
Yes I do understand the PC must be running, my problem is connectivity & visibility.
The "Philips Twonky" is installed on both my main PC and also on a netbook PC, but the NP3900 only sporadically sees the one on the main PC. One day it does, the next day it doesn't. It does see the one on the netbook PC when they are both in Wifi mode and close enough to pair with the Netbook PC. The internet radio works fine every/anywhere.

k1200rs
01-03-2012, 01:43 PM
What router do you have?

sternecaugek
01-03-2012, 03:55 PM
I have two routers: the modem/router supplied by my FAI (ie the "Freebox") and also at the other end of the house I have a Belkin F7D3302 wireless router, which is connected to the Freebox via an ethernet cable. What are you thinking could be the problem?

k1200rs
01-03-2012, 05:57 PM
So, the real LAN and WLAN router is the Belkin.
I don't think the Belkin is the issue (I have been using many for 10 years with Twonky).
But, have you correctly split the LAN addresses between your Freebox router and the Belkin router?
Have you defined one and only one DHCP? (no DHCP on the freebox)
What if you just disconnect your freebox (from the Belkin) and leave your Belkin alone managing the LAN/WLAN? Does that improve anything?

sternecaugek
01-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Your questions reveal - like a magician's cloak - the abyss of my ignorance; if you are willing to explain & advise, can I suggest we continue this chat outside this forum, as mine is not specifically a Philips NP3900 problem? My email is sternecaugek@yahoo.fr
(Hope this is allowed by forum rules)

jdthood
01-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Sounds as if this thread can be (considered) closed, since the originally reported problem was solved (by a firmware update).

sternecaugek
01-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Agreed. Sort of. My NP3900 has gone back to Philips for repair:(