PDA

View Full Version : Super Resolution bug on PFL9705

Freddy
12-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Hello again everyone! :)

This time I would like to begin with a question for all PFL9705/9955 owners. It's about "Super Resolution"... :confused:

I have read around the web that some people (owning a 40/46" 9705) are saying they "can clearly see the difference" between "Super Resolution" On or Off.
I have also heard reports from people (owning a 32" 9705) that they "do not see any difference". This goes for me too.

Over the past year I have tried every setting in every possible situation, and I can always see a difference between all the different settings... Except for "Super Resolution"! No matter the source, I can not see anything changing when going from On to Off.

So now my question: how is that for you?... And please tell me your size (32/40/46/58") as well.
If you can see a difference, I would also like to know the source and what exactly the change is.

I am just wondering if "Super Resolution" really is never working or is always working on a 32PFL9705.

Thanks again in advance!

Freddy

ali54
12-14-2011, 04:32 PM
hi
yes i can see the diffrence with it on the back round image gos sharper i think may be its hard to see this as you have the 32"
and mine is 46

Toengel
12-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Hi,

I think, we need a test image...

Toengel@Alex

christophexxx
12-15-2011, 11:59 AM
It depends on the source you use and the picture résolution (1080i or 525 i). With DVB internal tuner sometimes no effect on HD and less sharpness on SD. With HDMI more sharpeness on HD (to much ?) and sometimes less on SD.

Freddy
12-15-2011, 12:39 PM
may be its hard to see this as you have the 32"
and mine is 46
If there is a difference, I can assure you I will see it... :p with my nose pressed to the screen... ;)

I think, we need a test image...
I agree, it's just that it would need to be a test video, as "Super Resolution" is supposed to make a difference with video only, not pictures.
But does your suggestion mean you haven't seen a difference either?...

It depends on the source you use and the picture résolution (1080i or 525 i). With DVB internal tuner sometimes no effect on HD and less sharpness on SD. With HDMI more sharpeness on HD (to much ?) and sometimes less on SD.Less on SD?... That's weird.
But at least you're seeing a difference. On what size?...

Toengel
12-15-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi,

didn't try yet ^^

Toengel@Alex

christophexxx
12-15-2011, 04:31 PM
If there is a difference, I can assure you I will see it... :p with my nose pressed to the screen... ;)

I agree, it's just that it would need to be a test video, as "Super Resolution" is supposed to make a difference with video only, not pictures.
But does your suggestion mean you haven't seen a difference either?...
Less on SD?... That's weird.
But at least you're seeing a difference. On what size?...

Mine is a 46"

To test it you can use a computer on HDMI, but when you install it with 'add your device' don't select "computer", select something like blue-ray Disc player . You will see the difference for sure.

Freddy
12-16-2011, 04:49 PM
You will see the difference for sure.No... unfortunately not on a 32". :( Anyone else care to check this?...

Philips - Thomas
01-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi

to be able to see a difference you need to have a real good Broadcast/source because this is content related.
It has to be real good HD Material (1080p).
You can say the bigger the Screen, the better the Picture, the better are the possibility to see any differences.

Regards
Thomas

Freddy
01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Hi Thomas, :)

and thanks for answering.
But... :p according to Philips' own videos:

http://live.philips.com/index.php/nl_nl/video/super-resolution-2010-english/73382780001/rating/desc

"Super Resolution makes bad quality sources cleaner and high quality sources sharper."

Especially that first part of the quote should be easily visible also on smaller screen sizes. And even the second part should be visible with your nose pressed to the screen, but... it is not.

dellamag
01-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Hello Philips,
isn't the 7000 series supposed to allow "Super Resolution" option on the screen ? The specification sheet lists Super Resolution with the other features, but in my TV menu there isn't any "Super Resolution" mode. Could you please clarify ? My TV is 42PFL7655M/08, thanks

dellamag
01-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Hello Philips,
isn't the 7000 series supposed to allow "Super Resolution" option on the screen ? The specification sheet lists Super Resolution with the other features, but in my TV menu there isn't any "Super Resolution" mode. Could you please clarify ? My TV is 42PFL7655M/08, thanks

I try again: is the "Super Resolution" feature supposed to be included in 7000 series (2010 models) ? Im my TV it seems to be not included: I don't find it in any part of the menu, while the product specification sheet on the philips site says that it is an included feature (see http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl7655m_08/42pfl7655m_08_pss_aen.pdf, last page @ Picture Display | Picture enhancement section)
Please clarify as soon as possible !

Freddy
01-25-2012, 12:35 PM
I'm probably not the one you wanted an answer from... ;) but anyhow, here it goes.
"Super Resolution" is supported in the 2010 7000 series, but it is called differently. In English you can find it under:

- "Pixel Precise HD" - "Advanced sharpness"

or in Italian as:

- "Pixel Precise HD" - "Nitidezza superiore".

By the way, does this setting really make a difference for you?...

dellamag
01-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks for your very gentle answer. My best regards.

PS: Philips customer support looses again another opportunity (of the many). I'm very sad for their complete lack of attention to customers.

Freddy
02-29-2012, 01:40 PM
Just asking again:

are there any owners of a 32" PFL9705 who can actually see any difference between "Super Resolution" On and Off!?...
So far response has been minimal and only from people with larger sizes, who can see a difference. But not from 32" owners yet, so... come on guys: have a look! ;)

DerShortyy
02-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Just asking again:

are there any owners of a 32" PFL9705 who can actually see any difference between "Super Resolution" On and Off!?...
So far response has been minimal and only from people with larger sizes, who can see a difference. But not from 32" owners yet, so... come on guys: have a look! ;)

NO - there are no owners of 32pfl9705 anymore, because the TV crashed too often and thats why they all brought back their "32" to the retailers. :cool: i had one and it was horrible... sorry for my offtopic comment

jorge5150
03-26-2012, 11:34 PM
Hello. I have a 32PFL9705 and I don't see any difference either. So maybe it's a bug or the effect is imperceptible.

Freddy
03-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks Jorge for letting us know!

By the way, I saw that you have one of the last 32PFL9705 ever made. That makes it interesting to know if there are any differences with the older ones (like mine and most other's here). Have you visited my thread regarding the Subtitle Dimming Problem yet?... Could you maybe post your findings over there as well?...
http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?1265-Dimming-problem-every-time-subtitles-appear-on-32PFL9705
Thanks in advance! :)

Nettle
03-27-2012, 12:35 PM
I try again: is the "Super Resolution" feature supposed to be included in 7000 series (2010 models) ? Im my TV it seems to be not included: I don't find it in any part of the menu, while the product specification sheet on the philips site says that it is an included feature (see http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pfl7655m_08/42pfl7655m_08_pss_aen.pdf, last page @ Picture Display | Picture enhancement section)
Please clarify as soon as possible !

Hello Dellamag,

I don't think so, the datasheet is referring to the 2012 TV 7000 families. I was not aware that the 2010 700 TV models were equipped with the "Super Resolution" feture.

regards

Freddy
07-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Hello again everyone, :)

as there was an interesting discussion about this in another thread, I'm quoting those parts here:

To be precise the real problem is super resolution auto control:

- on TV tuner with HD signal ==> sharpness is in the standard because super resolution is in fact inactive
- on TV tuner with SD signal ==> the sharpness is lower than without super resolution in order to soften SD picture

- on HDMI with HD signal ==> sharpness is too high, not in the standard because super resolution is always active. ==>picture is ok for HD with super resolution off.

- on HDMI with SD signal ==> sharpness is lower (in the standard) with super resolution on and too high with super resolution off. ==> picture is OK for SD with super resolution on

software solution to resolve this problem : Even in the on position, super resolution should be inactive on HD signal and active on SD to soften the picture ==> exactly as the TV tuner

This problem was present for me from the beginning (140.37)

Thanks for that detailed description of the problem and the way Super Resolution is supposed to work.

Especially the way SR should work is interesting because, as I've mentioned a few times in another thread, on the 32" PFL9705 there is NO difference between setting SR to On or Off. I've tried it many times, with analog signals, digital signals through SCART, internal SD tuner, DVD (SD) and Blu-ray (HD) through HDMI and even files on USB: turning Super Resolution on or off makes no difference whatsoever!

The only thing I'm wondering now is, as the setting seems to do nothing on the 32PFL9705, is Super Resolution in fact always on or always off!?... Could you give me an example how I could figure that out?... Maybe with a test picture of which you know how some details should look like with Super Resolution On and Off?...

Thanks again in advance! :)

@freddy the only time i have seen sr working is on freeview hd or sky hd never seen it work on bluray and with new firmwear it dosent work as well as old firmwears

@Freddy, if you don't see a difference SR is always off. To be ok, the picture must be analysed with a 1920*1080 patern and the white verticals bands should have same brightness on all bandwidth. Anyway if the picture is good for you, don't worry. SR on is like sharpness at level 7

Freddy
07-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks for your answers guys! :)

Especially the part where you (christophexxx) say "SR on is like sharpness at level 7", convinced me that Super Resolution is always Off on a 32PFL9705!... That's because I really don't like Edge Enhancements and therefore I only use Sharpness at 0 (for HD) or 1 (for SD). Sharpness at 7 would definitely be terrible in my eyes and I have never seen that!

But considering your first answer, I'm assuming this goes for HD only; am I right?...
For SD, Super Resolution would be softening the picture; how can I tell if that's happening?...

I ask, because I noticed something like that on a few very mediocre, low-bitrate DVB-C channels (BBC 2/3/4 for example), using the internal tuner. When I'm watching tennis at Wimbledon, I can often see the details in the grass disappearing when there's not much happening at the time. As soon as the picture moves again, the details are back, until the camera stays still for about 2 seconds and then the details are gone again.
It looks exactly like MPEG Artefact Reduction, except that disabling that option has no effect on this problem, nor does disabling Super Resolution change anything. I really dislike any visible, active changes in the picture, especially when they're for the worse. When I'm watching the same channel on the Cable Set-top Box, connected through SCART, this does not happen and the picture stays as sharp as it can be, considering the bad signal of course. This made me return the CI+ module, and I'm using the Set-top Box again, as it's simply better than the internal tuner, which is a shame, I think.

Is this what you mean when saying "on TV tuner with SD signal ==> the sharpness is lower than without super resolution in order to soften SD picture"?...

christophexxx
07-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Freddy,

For your problem with the BBC channels, The internal tuner has some secrets tweaks (mosquitos effect reduction, block noise reduction...) we can't settle. These artefacts réductions are done in order to improve (or not) the DVB-C signal before the perfect pixel processing.

Freddy
07-07-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks again for your answer!

I was afraid of that... Amazing that the top tv's tuner can't compete with much cheaper, yet dedicated, external ones. Disappointing, but... not completely unexpected.

So that was not what you meant with the softening effect of Super Resolution. Then how would you describe that effect:

- Super Resolution on HD ~ Sharpness @ 7
- Super Resolution on SD ~ ???

christophexxx
07-09-2012, 08:51 AM
being understood that the sharpness is at level 5, super resolution on SD ~ sharpness @ 3

Freddy
07-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Ok!... Thanks for clearing that up.

So to conclude:

- Super Res. on HD looks like increasing Sharpness by 2;
- Super Res. on SD looks like decreasing Sharpness by 2.

Well... both effects can NEVER be observed on a 32PFL9705!
But now that I know how it would look like, I don't think I care about it at all.
Still... officially it should be possible to use this and yet... it isn't. Strange!...

klauzser
07-19-2012, 04:50 AM
So far, mine is still working pretty well and it is already 2 years old. I guess that depends where you bought it. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-19/vbsmile.png