PDA

View Full Version : Frustration

joxn
12-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Hello.

I know that this might not be the most constructive feedback, but I am getting really frustrated with my NP3900 (and NP3700).

I bought both players in November to have a nice radio for the kitchen and one for the bedroom. They had to fulfill the "wife acceptance factor" - i.e. look nice and be easy to handle. All good so far. Especially the physical remote control turned out to be great. We are hardly using the touch screen or the Android app.

But now the negative impressions start to pile up - and got so bad with the recent firmware update to the NP3900 that is it not acceptable anymore:
- Features for NP3700 and NP3900 are actually different. One can dim the display after a time out, one cannot. I clearly did not expect that as the players where released as one series esp. for such simple features.
- We like to keep the devices in sleep mode, but they seem to have problems with the wifi connection when they come out of sleep, so a hard-restart is required *sometimes*
- The Internet Radio for NP3900 crashes after a few minutes or might go on for hours *sometimes* (just to ensure you, the general Wifi is stable for all other devices in the household)
- If I use the Android Remote, it works with a fresh start of the app. If I later start the app again, it does not work and I have to kill the task (on Samsung Galaxy S with 2.3.5 firmware)
- The Wifi signal for NP3900 is *much worse* than for NP3700. We switched players between kitchen and bedroom when problems started
- After the recent firmware update, the NP3900 sometimes even gets stuck in sleep mode: the clock is displayed in standby - the time shown was 10 am while it was actually 3 pm. Only pulling the power cable allowed a restart!
- That the NP3900 completely freezes (while playing Internet Radio or while in standby) and only pulling the power cable helps. This happened to me three times in one week since the firmware update.

What I am saying is that the hardware of these products seems to be very nice.

However, the quality of the software is the worst, I have experienced in consumer products and actually makes me reconsider my planned purchase of a new Philips TV. As said, it is not just a specific issue, but rather the overall stability of the devices.

Philips, please look into your quality assurance processes and release new firmware more often with a clear transparent schedule. And if you are not good enough at software development, consider sponsoring an Open Source project like Logitech does with the Squeezebox series.

Best regards.

jdthood
12-20-2011, 12:02 PM

However, the quality of the software is the worst I have experienced in consumer products and actually makes me reconsider my planned purchase of a new Philips TV. As said, it is not just a specific issue, but rather the overall stability of the devices.

Philips, please look into your quality assurance processes and release new firmware more often with a clear transparent schedule. And if you are not good enough at software development, consider sponsoring an Open Source project like Logitech does with the Squeezebox series.

Best regards.

I agree 100% with joxn and I am glad he mentioned the Open Source alternative.

I am a user and developer of Open Source software (OSS). As every OSS user knows, sometimes OSS has bugs. But because it's OSS, I or someone else can fix them. Or at least study and understand them.

This Philips firmware has bugs which we can't at present fix or understand.

Open up the firmware and there's a possibility that one or more frustrated software developers with a malfunctioning NP3900 will contribute bugfixes.

jdthood
12-22-2011, 07:07 PM
This Philips firmware has bugs which we can't at present fix or understand.

The most important bug --- inability to detect DLNA media servers --- seems to have been fixed in firmware release V G5.59S.

joxn
05-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Dear Philips Support.

What's is Philips' offical standpoint for using Open Source software?

Also on Amazon UK - http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R7ZOWW1N0I8X - somebody writes that Streamium is now considered legacy? If this is the case, what is the Philips standpoint of releasing the firmware after that?

If you want to put it into a "green perspective": does Philips say that hardware needs to be thrown away after one or two years when the software no longer works correctly?

Thank you very much.

k1200rs
05-28-2012, 07:10 AM
I don't know on what basis the Streamium can be considered as legacy, but I share the frustration. I have 7 streamium devices home: MCi900, 3*NP2900, 2*NP2500' and 1 NP3900.

The NP3900 is full of issues and indeed, I often need to perform a hard reboot especially if I use the Philips myRemote application (to select a radio) or a UPNP control point on Android.
I have given up reporting these issues. At one point of time I wanted to shoot a movie but I feel there is no point, I just accept to do a hard reboot now and then. The old NP2500 and NP2900 behave correctly.

Finally the on-line service is also confusing: Napster? Spotify?

My next device will most probably be from another brand.

jdthood
07-03-2012, 08:52 PM
I just bought a new phone with nice DLNA capabilities and it also causes the NP3900 to freeze immediately, while it works with every other DLNA device I own. So we have to conclude that the NP3900 cannot be controlled by DLNA control points.

Using the wired interface instead of Wi-Fi and using the handheld infrared remote (and occasionally the Android remote) to control it, I have few problems with the NP3900.

k1200rs
07-03-2012, 10:00 PM
So we have to conclude that the NP3900 cannot be controlled by DLNA control points.

I agree and they have misleading publicity which is a fraud.
I suggested and was requested to make a short video to show evidences that it freezes (+ the empty radio list), but I don't want to spend any more time on this. It is so obvious to get it to freeze any serious testing would lead to the same conclusion. It also freezes when you control with a control point on a PC (example Twonly manager).
As usual Quality Assurance issues (what does the Product Manager do in this company???) and lack of firmware updates.
This does not deserve any attention.

-EM
10-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Have had the NP3900 for about 5 months now. A product is to be considered 'legacy' when it performs all its intended functions in a reliable way, only to be updated when issues either hamper the normal operation or cause any sort of safety issue.
In the case of the NP3900, the product is so blatantly undertested that it is hard to say that it performs as intended. Any sustained sequence of normal usage commands (also known as stress and stability testing) will bring the unit down with an ominous 'plop', only to be revived via a power unplug. Anyone asking for a repeatable sequence has not bothered looking at the unit: make it sweat, in a few minutes it will freeze.
This is by no decent standards a state in which Development and Quality Assurance and Product Marketing and Support can claim ignorance and not provide further support, let alone be proud of the result achieved. This can be a great product, but the job is not finished!

-EM

browset
11-25-2012, 11:11 PM
Hello.

I know that this might not be the most constructive feedback, but I am getting really frustrated with my NP3900 (and NP3700).

I bought both players in November to have a nice radio for the kitchen and one for the bedroom. They had to fulfill the "wife acceptance factor" - i.e. look nice and be easy to handle. All good so far. Especially the physical remote control turned out to be great. We are hardly using the touch screen or the Android app.

But now the negative impressions start to pile up - and got so bad with the recent firmware update to the NP3900 that is it not acceptable anymore:
- Features for NP3700 and NP3900 are actually different. One can dim the display after a time out, one cannot. I clearly did not expect that as the players where released as one series esp. for such simple features.
- We like to keep the devices in sleep mode, but they seem to have problems with the wifi connection when they come out of sleep, so a hard-restart is required *sometimes*
- The Internet Radio for NP3900 crashes after a few minutes or might go on for hours *sometimes* (just to ensure you, the general Wifi is stable for all other devices in the household)
- If I use the Android Remote, it works with a fresh start of the app. If I later start the app again, it does not work and I have to kill the task (on Samsung Galaxy S with 2.3.5 firmware)
- The Wifi signal for NP3900 is *much worse* than for NP3700. We switched players between kitchen and bedroom when problems started
- After the recent firmware update, the NP3900 sometimes even gets stuck in sleep mode: the clock is displayed in standby - the time shown was 10 am while it was actually 3 pm. Only pulling the power cable allowed a restart!
- That the NP3900 completely freezes (while playing Internet Radio or while in standby) and only pulling the power cable helps. This happened to me three times in one week since the firmware update.

However, the quality of the software is the worst, I have experienced in consumer products and actually makes me reconsider my planned purchase of a new Philips TV. As said, it is not just a specific issue, but rather the overall stability of the devices.

Best regards.

I too have the misfortune to own an NP3900. streams music well from my pc and laptop. Sound quality is great. That's about all I can say.
Constant crashes and lockups on the radio mode. It was bought as a radio and alarm clock.
I now use an old Advent Vega android tablet as a radio source plugged into my streamium np3900 as a powered speaker.

It's a shame they can't get quality working firmware for what would otherwise be an excellent piece of kit.

lucas1970
11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Does it crashes wired and/or wireless also? Looks not very stable then. Did you try next to the router and on a different channel..

browset
11-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Does it crashes wired and/or wireless also? Looks not very stable then. Did you try next to the router and on a different channel..

Wireless only, it's situated roughly 3 metres from router only obstruction is a door.
I have taken router off auto channel and tried various channels right through the range but no joy. It's now back on auto. BBC radio 2 is listened to most.
It has been rock steady on a few occasions, but mostly very very annoying dropping out for long periods and freezes. I have reset the unit a number of times.

lucas1970
11-27-2012, 08:25 AM
Which router do you have and did you already try with a different one? Also could you try it some while cabled and tell what happens

browset
12-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Which router do you have and did you already try with a different one? Also could you try it some while cabled and tell what happens

Apologies for delay. BT have replaced my BT Hub3 and and repaired? my download speeds. I did a speed test and speeds had dropped to 4mb. My broadband speed is now an acceptable 40mb. It did take them about 3 weeks to sort it. I

However still frustrated with Streamium. Same problems exist, still disappointing performance. It crashed again this and morning and network key had to be reset. Streams music from PC with no probs. Radio listening is a bind especially BBC stations I even switched off nearby fridge/freezer to see if that was causing interference made no difference.

signed Scunnered

Come on Philips a decent firmware upgrade is required

browset
01-03-2013, 08:29 PM
I tried tinkering with my BThub again. I took it off auto channel again. This time tried locking it to a several channels. Already had it locked to ch.11. This time I tried ch.13 no improvement. Experimented with several channels throughout the range. Still losing radio and crashes.

I switched off N mode and tried b/g only. no joy here either. I put the hub back to N and auto(smart channel) and Voila NP9300 is working extremely well. It has worked for hours without interruption or crashing:)
Now if it could play Flac files it would be near perfect.

jdthood
01-30-2013, 02:25 PM
The bugs in the NP3900 were so troublesome that Philips decided to sell off the division. ;)

http://www.newscenter.philips.com/main/corpcomms/news/press/2013/20130129-Philips-transfers-Lifestyle-Entertainment-business-to-Funai.wpd

browset
01-30-2013, 04:25 PM
I tried tinkering with my BThub again. I took it off auto channel again. This time tried locking it to a several channels. Already had it locked to ch.11. This time I tried ch.13 no improvement. Experimented with several channels throughout the range. Still losing radio and crashes.

I switched off N mode and tried b/g only. no joy here either. I put the hub back to N and auto(smart channel) and Voila NP9300 is working extremely well. It has worked for hours without interruption or crashing:)
Now if it could play Flac files it would be near perfect.

:'( scrub that. Misbehaving again. This unit hates Bbc radio 2. Streams mp3s Ok from pc. Won't recognise flac. Doesn't seem my hdd connected to my bthub.

Cifer
02-20-2013, 08:47 AM
Hello Everyone

I have also a lot of problems with my NP3900. I stream with my Synology NAS by WLAN to the player. Sometimes everything is ok, but often my player stucks in standby or lose the wlan connection! Then I can also only restart the player!

browset
02-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Hello Everyone

I have also a lot of problems with my NP3900. I stream with my Synology NAS by WLAN to the player. Sometimes everything is ok, but often my player stucks in standby or lose the wlan connection! Then I can also just restart the player!

I have retired my NP93OO Its obviously not suitable for the purpose. Too late to ask for a refund. Very disappointed in this item. It should never have been put on the market :mad:

Cifer
02-20-2013, 08:00 PM
Where are hiding the mods? What is your alternate product?

-EM
03-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Got update G5.72S for NP3900 installed yesterday. No clue what's new/what's not, except Napster seems to be enabled again. Device is connected via wire to LAN, gets music via DLNA from QNAP/Twonky server. After about 1 hour of listening to music (no other interventions or RC commands), device suddenly gave plop, white screen with vertical bars, no reaction to any command (RC, local keyboard). Unplug power is only way to restart => new firmware still no solution to stability problems.

browset
07-13-2013, 12:32 PM
I took my radio outlook retirement and tried the new firmware. Waste of time. Pity there was no way to hack it and install different firmware.
I am very happy with my 42" Philips TV bought 4 yrs ago but Streamium is an embarrassment. Philips technology designers should hang their heads in shame.

scunnered:mad: