PDA

View Full Version : 40PFL9605D/78 Streaming takes to long to start

fpereira76
01-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Hello,

I have a 40PFL9605D/78 led TV and I am trying to stream Internet video into it by using DLNA Mediatomb and ffmpeg to transcode on-the-fly. The source is a laptop, to which the TV connects through a Wi-Fi local network.

Everything works fine, except that TV takes too long to start showing the video. When I connect to Mediatomb with a laptop (also through Wi-Fi), the video starts playing in less than 5 sec. With the TV, the video takes more than 1 minute to start. It seems that it takes too long to buffer, and I don't know how to adjust that.

Does any one knows how could I improve the buffering time ?

Thank you all,

Flavio.

Philips - Thomas
01-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Hi Flavio

in this configuration you need to consider: your TV has limited codec Support. So if you use you Laptop with installed codec, Mediatomb does not need to transcode or can use different one.

Regards
Thomas

fpereira76
01-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your reply.

The time the laptop takes to start playing the video also includes the transcoding time. The configuration works as follows:

(VIDEO SERVER) ----> Internet ----> FFMPEG or MENCODER ----> MEDIATOMB ----> LAN CLIENTS

So, if I use the same laptop or another laptop with VLC as client (connected to mediatomb, not directly to the video server itself), the video starts playing shortly. If I use the TV as client, it takes too long to start playing.

I am currently transcoding on-the-fly to MPEG2, but I have also tried transcoding to other formats, with no improvement.

I have also noticed that with laptops the video is continously played, but with the TV, I run out of buffer sometimes. For that reason, I think that there may be some problem with the TV Wi-Fi connection (too slow).

Philips - Thomas
01-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Hi

the TV uses 802.11g so make sure the Video files are not to big.
To make sure you have a stable connection just use a wired one not Wifi.

Regards
Thomas

fpereira76
01-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for you reply.

In fact, the video is not a file by itself; it is a pipe. Mediatomb runs a script that reads a live stream from the internet, transcode it by using ffmpeg and save the transcoded stream into a pipe, which is then transmitted to the TV or to another laptop by mediatomb.

When I use another notebook (notebook B, a Atom Netbook) to connect to mediatomb (that runs in notebook A), the video starts playing in a few seconds. There is no buffer underflow, even if notebook B is in a different room (and next to the TV). When I use the TV, it takes at least a minute to start playing and I get buffer underflows from time to time.

So, I think it is not a problem with WiFi signal neither is a LAN overload, otherwise I would have problems with the netbook B too. My guess is that TV has some problem in buffering the video.

Greetings,

Flávio.

Philips - Thomas
01-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Hi

so you did test LAN?

Regards
Thomas