PDA

View Full Version : Your PC as remote control

netdata
01-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Hi There,

I have developed an application to remote control a philips TV using your PC.

Just surf to: http://www.netdata.be/tv/

This is a javascript / HTML application which runs inside your browser.

Just fill in the IP address of your TV.
It might look strange that need to fill in the IP on de site, but this is just to configure the javascript application.

Once filled in you should be able to remote control the TV.

Any questions, just shoot

Toengel
01-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Hi,

I think this is only working for 2011 TVs. Correct me, if I'm wrong.

Toengel@Alex

Lockon
01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Interesting idea, I already see myself goofing off with wife watching her FOX CRIME and volume getting loud all the time...LOL.

However, I when I put IP address of TV, I'm still getting error message. TV is reachable at least with respect to ping/ICMP protocol. What protocol is used to communicate with TV ?

Toengel
01-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Hi,

I think, the tool is using HTTP JSON queries... only for 2011 TV sets...

Toengel@Alex

netdata
01-03-2012, 08:19 PM
It uses the REST HTTP API,

Try if you are able to open http://IP-OF-YOUR-TV:1925
If that works you are able to use this application

See also the jointspace homepage for more info:
http://jointspace.sourceforge.net/

@Toengel, indeed you are right, since it seems that only the 2011 TV's have the REST API

freedive
01-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Hi Netdata,

Thanks! It works better then the philips remote app on my iPhone !

Also it works perfect on my mac and pc!

netdata
01-03-2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks freedive, just checkout the handy shortcuts,
It makes it very easy to navigate (For example in the youtube leanback app)

freedive
01-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Is it possible to run it on my own web server...aka...is it open source ?

Lockon
01-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Confirming its 2011 series exclusive.
@Toengel - is this HTTP JSON viable for 2010 wishlist ?
@NetData - Great move anyway, respect.

netdata
01-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Hi freedive,

Yes I will upload it later this evening to github

freedive
01-03-2012, 08:43 PM
Whoehoe! Good work!

netdata
01-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Is it possible to run it on my own web server...aka...is it open source ?

Voila here you go:
https://github.com/netdata/pcremote

I have to say the application is still in int begin phase

freedive
01-03-2012, 09:16 PM
When i have some suggestions i will post it.

Maybe, if possible to add something for the ambilight to control ?
(I don't now how much is controlable via JointSpace)

netdata
01-03-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm working on the ambilight stuff, it is very advanced when using this intrface.
http://jointspace.sourceforge.net/projectdata/documentation/jasonApi/1/doc/API-ambilight.html

freedive
01-03-2012, 09:50 PM
In the Philips remote app there is a virtual keyboard available.

In the JointSpace API docs i cannot find this, is this excluded by philips maybe ?

Perpetual Beta
01-05-2012, 02:14 AM
@netdata:
All buttons of the virtual remote seem to be fully functionally.
With Ubuntu 10.10 / Firefox 9.01 keyboard shortcuts are not accepted (yet?).

The TV Channel drop-down list is nearly unusable, if you want to select ań entry outside of the displayed range. You have to be very fast.

The application collides with ABE (Application Boundaries Enforcer) in the popular Firefox Addon "NoScript".
For short tests I have deactivated ABE temporarily in Noscript configuration.
With respect to http://www.noscript.net/abe/ this can be avoided with some configuration work (?) in NoScript or in your web application.

edit / ABE Ruleset for NoScript Users:
Go to ABE-Settings and add the following 2 lines before the "Deny" line in the SYSTEM ruleset:

Site http://<IP-Address TV>
Accept from http://www.netdata.be

smart
01-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Hi,

great application, very nice looking! I can not use it, since I own an 2010 TV, but it looks very promising!

netdata
01-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Ohh nice, constructive feedback ;-)

With Ubuntu 10.10 / Firefox 9.01 keyboard shortcuts are not accepted (yet?).

I will have to test this, I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 with google chrome and there it seems to function.

The TV Channel drop-down list is nearly unusable, if you want to select ań entry outside of the displayed range. You have to be very fast.

Yea indeed I also have noticed this.
I will be fixing this in the upcomming days, it is because the dropdown is updated every second with the current selected channel.

The application collides with ABE (Application Boundaries Enforcer) in the popular Firefox Addon "NoScript".
For short tests I have deactivated ABE temporarily in Noscript configuration.
With respect to http://www.noscript.net/abe/ this can be avoided with some configuration work (?) in NoScript or in your web application.

edit / ABE Ruleset for NoScript Users:
Go to ABE-Settings and add the following 2 lines before the "Deny" line in the SYSTEM ruleset:

Site http://<IP-Address TV>
Accept from http://www.netdata.be

Thanks for catching that, it seems normal that ABE blocks this since he might think it is a XSS attack (Doing GEt's and POSTS to an other host than itself)

Since I don't have HTTPS available I can't provide this as a default ruleset...

Perpetual Beta
01-09-2012, 03:11 PM
Chromium / google chrome does not enable cookies for local files. So on every application start from local harddisk you'll have to enter the TV's IP address. Or enable cookies for local files with command line flag --enable-file-cookies.

With chromium the keyboard shortcuts are accepted here.

DerShortyy
01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
@netdata

very nice app. Runs also pretty good on samsung galaxy s2.
Maybe a keyboard function for NET TV could be included.
Best Regards

netdata
01-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Maybe a keyboard function for NET TV could be included.
Best Regards

The problem is that the current API does not implement a-z key presses.

I'm thinking to create a work around, but I don't like that.
I could create keyboard mappings which are translated to multiple key presses on the remote
so if you would need a "c" then send 3 times the key "2"

smart
01-09-2012, 07:39 PM
I think, that's how Philips did it already for their MyRemote app.
Sure, this is an ugly solution, since you need to make sure, the country setting on the TV is the same as on the Remote app.

In this case you have to accomodate for the special chars in some countries, like the , , , in germany or the french , , , or those danish o with that slash through it...
The order of the chars is important ..., really ugly ...

matthias
01-14-2012, 01:29 AM
In the JointSpace API docs i cannot find this, is this excluded by philips maybe ?

No, unfortunately not. Somewhere on the SF jointspace wiki/doc/forum I found that they do this by multiple 0..9clicks + 1 confirm click. There needs to be a minimum delay between each clicks, but I don't remember the value.

Agreed - really ugly

matthias
01-14-2012, 02:08 AM
I'm working on the ambilight stuff, it is very advanced when using this intrface.

Actually, controlling ambilight is not so difficult. I put together a quick hack to test it.
If you want, have look here (http://www.supportforum.philips.com/en/showthread.php?4143-Control-your-ambilight-with-JSON-%282011-TVs%29).

But there still is a bug (at least on my 7606), which only allows control of the left side :-(

matthias
01-14-2012, 02:11 AM
And - finally- feedback ;-)
Your Control app looks really neat and works nice! Good work!

Unfortunately, keyboard shortcuts don't work for me either on Windows Vista / Firefox 9.0.1. (NoScript is not installed).

Also, selecting a channel from the list is difficult when going beyond the first few items, because the select-line jumps every half second.

And: I find the "Info" button very helpful, as it displays the cable EPG Proramm info with a single click.

Thanks!

Nettle
01-14-2012, 01:02 PM
@Toengel, indeed you are right, since it seems that only the 2011 TV's have the REST API

:mad:

jerrypvienna
01-30-2012, 08:04 PM
Not working for me, I can use the iPhone app and can connect to port 1925, but your app says no connection,....

netdata
01-31-2012, 01:05 PM
@jerrypvienna

Can you please tell me which browser you are using?

jerrypvienna
02-01-2012, 06:43 AM
IE9 did not work, FF works, so basically OK using the correct browser ;-)

Chrissie18
02-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Ow, man! I really need to get some extra free time!
Just looked at the JointSpace SourceForce page and I now see that there also was a native win32 API solution running in VS2010 (express)...
The first glance of the API documentation did get me a bit worrying, but I see a challenge!
So, knowing myself a bit, this will take some months... :D

jerrypvienna
02-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi just checked the Joint Space Pages - cant find the native win32 API only the cygwin stuff - do you have a link?

Chrissie18
02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Hi just checked the Joint Space Pages - cant find the native win32 API only the cygwin stuff - do you have a link?

Hi!

It's on http://jointspace.sourceforge.net/
Just search the page for win32 (you have to get the one under april 2011).
It's a direct link to the download.

Haven't looked at it though...
Chris.

tuby
02-18-2012, 09:32 AM
Hello,

I've tried the application at http://www.netdata.be/tv/ on my 32PFL7486M (2011).
It cannot connect the tv, but I am able to surf it on the same IP address on port 1925 with my Firefox browser.

Trying to type the magic key sequence for activating jointspace, tv says it's activated.

Any hint?
Thank you and Best regards

Tuby

Nettle
02-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Hi,

I think, the tool is using HTTP JSON queries... only for 2011 TV sets...

Toengel@Alex

Only for 2011 models????

Is it maybe planned to have it even for 2010 models?

:(

its_me
02-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Yes it would be really great if someone finds a possibility to control all NetTV-devices (means TVs from 2009 and 2010).
I would appreciate that!
Thanks and good luck ;-)

findftp
05-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Very nice application.
However, is there also a way to 'turn on' the television?
Shut off works, but I want to use this method to let my htpc turn off and on my television.
I don't want to stick a ir blaster on my television because that looks ugly.
I already tried to wake the television through wake up on lan, but that doesn't work either.

Is there any other way to turn the television on other than throught IR remote control?

matthias
05-12-2012, 01:05 PM
Is there any other way to turn the television on other than throught IR remote control?

The TV can switch on devices, such as a blue ray player through HDMI-CEC - I don't know, if this also works the other way round?

Maybe someone with a Philips Blueray Player can test this:
TV in standby, Blueray Player in standby, both connected via HDMI. Now, when the Blueray Player is switched on, will it also turn on the TV?
Please let us know if this works ;)

If so, your chances are good that you can turn on your TV through HDMI with the right command.
Maybe there are even USB-HDMI-CEC interface devices around you can use off the shelf.

findftp
05-12-2012, 09:36 PM
The TV can switch on devices, such as a blue ray player through HDMI-CEC - I don't know, if this also works the other way round?

TV in standby, Blueray Player in standby, both connected via HDMI. Now, when the Blueray Player is switched on, will it also turn on the TV?

If so, your chances are good that you can turn on your TV through HDMI with the right command.
Maybe there are even USB-HDMI-CEC interface devices around you can use off the shelf.

Thanks for the suggestion.
I investigated if my Asus F1A75 have hdmi-cec and it doesn't so no luck for me I guess.
The only thing remains is a big ir blaster in my room which is strong enough to reach the tv without sticking on the tv itself

Toengel
05-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Hi,

as far as I know, the new MediaCenter MythTV has now HDMI-CEC support.

Toengel@Alex

findftp
05-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi,

as far as I know, the new MediaCenter MythTV has now HDMI-CEC support.

Toengel@Alex

Isn't it hardware dependent?
I read something about hdmi-cec bridge which was hardware driven

Toengel
05-13-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi,

that's a point, I'm also not sure - I also cannot find any relevant information regarding hardware/software prerequisites for CEC...

Toengel@Alex

Chrissie18
05-13-2012, 06:28 PM

I can confirm that my Philips TV (9705) is turned on by my PHilips BDP5200 (no pun intended...;) )
At least: I've seen it happen at least once. I do think that the TV must have been on the HDMI imput when switched off.
Maybe even been switched off by the BDP...

Chris

matthias
05-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks for this information!

So it's probably worth to try one of these USB- HDMI-CEC devices, where it's possible to send and receive arbitrary CEC commands. There a few self-made solutions (there was one for the Arduino board) and a few commercial ones which are more expensive.
If anyone gets/has one of these and plays around, please post your experience, which commands do and which don't work with Philips TVs.

Maybe of interest: It's also possible to control devices (i.e. your PC) using the Philips Remote control through HDMI-CEC.

GarySmith
05-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Amazing idea.It really works perfectly on my TV.It seems that the interface is very advanced and fast.And it can be easily controlled.

a_Tom
05-23-2012, 06:59 PM
hey; as cec can also transport remote signals, maybe someone can check what kind of signals are transmitted for RC pass through, so we can get rid of the rc6 ir codes?!?

Racker
09-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Hi There,

I have developed an application to remote control a philips TV using your PC.

(...)

Any questions, just shoot

Great app, thx! Works fine on my 32PFL4007H/12 :)

Have been toying around a bit to see if I could make your app "look and feel" like the official Philips app for Ipad and Smartphone... I've put the results online, "behind" my homepage: http://hondrac.home.xs4all.nl/remote/index.html As I don't see how I could improve your script (:cool:), I "plagiarized" your Javascript... :rolleyes: hope you don't mind?!

Plse let me know if you do have any remarks..

Cheers,

Rob

mike_emons@live.co.uk
07-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Hi i was just wondering is the Phillips 42PFL8404H TV compatible of being used with this great little bit of script to control remotely over my home network?

Mike

Toengel
07-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Hi,

should be - but you need to activate jointspace before (and install the latest firmware 26.78).

Toengel@Alex