PDA

View Full Version : Recording from a set-top box

wombelero
01-05-2012, 11:37 AM
I understand how to record if EPG is available, however this seems only possible when you have the TV directly connected to the signal cable.
How could I do this when the actual signal is coming from a settop box, connected by HDMI? The settop box has its own disk, but it gets full quickly. I would like to play the movie (I understand that I cannot watch something else) from the disk and record it on the USB-HD. Hopefully digital to not lose quality.
How is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Wombelero

PS: TV is 42PFL6606K/02

Philips - Thomas
01-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Hi

if you have a settop box, you can't use the TV build in record feature.

Regards
Thomas

wombelero
01-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the fast reply Thomas. I checked the manual and could not find how to do this. It should be possible to choose start time (NOW), end time (movie duration) and on which channel (in this case HDMI1) on the TV. Then start the movie. I was not able to find such settings.

Could you shed some light or point me in the right direction how to do so? Or can I just press "Rec" on the remote when I start the movie playback from the settop box?
Thanks,
Wombelero

Philips - Thomas
01-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Hi

again, you have a HDMI connection to the TV, you can NOT record with the TV.
The only way to record with the TV is via the TV internal digital Tuners.
HDMi is NOT a digital Tuner.

Regards
Thomas

wombelero
01-05-2012, 11:51 AM
Okay, this is a clear, however sad, statement. Your first reply implied that it is possible.

W

Philips - Thomas
01-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Hi

sorry that was a mistake.

Regards
Thomas

DerShortyy
01-05-2012, 01:36 PM
I understand how to record if EPG is available, however this seems only possible when you have the TV directly connected to the signal cable.
How could I do this when the actual signal is coming from a settop box, connected by HDMI? The settop box has its own disk, but it gets full quickly. I would like to play the movie (I understand that I cannot watch something else) from the disk and record it on the USB-HD. Hopefully digital to not lose quality.
How is this possible?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Wombelero

PS: TV is 42PFL6606K/02

Hi,
why donīt you use the internal tuners and hook up the signal cable directly to the TV?

wombelero
01-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Hi,
why donīt you use the internal tuners and hook up the signal cable directly to the TV?

fF you tell me how I can connect a Swisscom (IP TV) box to the TV I will be more than happy. The Tv does not have such a tuner, as the signal is coded :(
W

DerShortyy
01-06-2012, 08:39 AM
fF you tell me how I can connect a Swisscom (IP TV) box to the TV I will be more than happy. The Tv does not have such a tuner, as the signal is coded :(
W

With a IP-TV box itīs of course a whole different thing. Did you check if it is possible to export your recordings to an external HDD so you can erase your recordings from the HDD of the box? Iīm afraid that there is no other way. As swisscom describes it, for each TV you need a seperate box.

wombelero
01-06-2012, 08:58 AM
No chance to export the recordings. They do have a USB port on the front, which would be super convenient, but there is no function (or just for technical service, I don't know). Only chance is to record through Scart output on my analog HDD recorder. This works, but with loss of quality.
I indeed hate Swisscom for that. Especially HD recordings fill the the built in harddisk quickly.
W